Chapter 5- Infernal
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I remember reading their description in the old reports. They were colossal beings of rock and fel fire. Their roars shook the land, toppled the strongest towers, and collapsed entire houses. Brave men and women routed in their midst. They were the catalyst of the destruction of countless fortresses and cities. I can personally state this was an accurate description of what we encountered.”

- From Patrol Report. Year 3000, 5th​ day of BloomingTide. Captain Elric Falmore

The infernal’s roar sent deafening shockwaves rippling in all directions. I wanted to cover my ears from the noise. I couldn’t due to my helmet.

When it stopped, I saw the orc warlock raise his hands. A purple orb formed. Lines of arcane glyphs streamed out then around the infernal, binding it like chains. The hulking behemoth struggled, trying to break free. I recognized it. An enslavement ritual.

“Don’t let him finish the spell!” I yelled and started to run towards him. I wouldn’t be able to close the distance in time. Captain Falmore, Singlepipe, and Alamere were occupied with the other orcs.

“On it!” Bluebeard yelled. The dwarf jumped off the worg’s corpse. His axes left embedded in its neck.

He reached into his belt and pulled out a wand. “Hyah!” he yelled and threw it at the warlock. It spun through the air like an axe.

“You aren’t supposed to use it like that!” I heard Alamere yell as he parried a dagger.

The wand continued to spin and collided with the purple orb. It was anyone’s guess as to why what happened next did happen. All I knew was the orb burst and the wand shattered in a flash of energy. The pieces flew like shrapnel and peppered the warlock. He yelled in pain, clutching his wounded hands as the spell failed.

“Hah! Told yeh that yeh could never have one too many weapo-,” Bluebeard yelled. He was cut off by the infernal’s roar.

Its arms shot out, shearing through the purple seals. Free from its restraints.

I knew infernals were not living beings but constructs. Without a master controlling its will, they followed their base instinct and purpose. Destroy anything and everything around it.

It swung a massive arm at the closest living beings. An elf and orc.

Alamere saw it coming. He parried dodged away from the orc’s dagger and raised his staff. A cocoon of frost engulfed him. The orc did not see it coming. He raised his dagger to strike again when the blow landed, sending the two airborne.

They smashed against the side of a cliff. Alamere’s cocoon shattered. The orc’s body splattered in a spray of blood.

They fell. Both landed with a thud. Neither moved. Alamere’s staff landed nearby, snapped in two.

The infernal marched forward. It swung its arms wildly against anything and everything nearby.

“Get distance!” Captain Falmore yelled. He jumped away as the infernal’s arm landed where he stood just a moment ago. The orc warrior he was fighting didn’t react in time and was flattened.

The infernal swung again. It veered towards Singlepipe and an orc rogue. Both of them noticed. The gnome clicked his boot heels. Twin jets of fire erupted from his boots, darting him away. The orc rogue dove to the side. The arm hit neither and crashed to the ground.

It marched forward, catching up with a dwarf who was running as quickly as his stubby legs could muster.

“Bluebeard, behind you!” I yelled. He turned to see a pillar of rock looming over him. It rushed down.

There was the sudden sound of metal crashing against stone. The infernal’s leg stopped short of landing on Bluebeard. Captain Falmore had appeared between them, his shield held up against the thing’s foot. Red energy, rage as they called it, flared from the impact and into Captain Falmore.

The human warrior pushed; his strength boosted by the energy he gathered. The infernal stumbled back stepping on an unsuspecting orc rogue.

“Captain-,” Bluebeard started but the warrior interrupted.

“You can thank me later! Grab your weapon, we aren’t going to outrun that thing! That means we’re taking it out! Riverwood, Singlepipe. Form up and flank! I’m on point as tank, wait until it strikes!” he yelled.

“Got it!” Singlepipe yelled and began to run to the infernal’s side.

“Understood!” I replied and ran on the opposite side.

As I ran, I formed a gesture with my hands as I ran closer to the infernal. Second Seal: Judgment. I rarely used this because of it caused collateral damage. However, the occasion was right. My mana gauge levels dropped to 55%. I grabbed my warhammer. Light enveloped the weapon and expanded. A massive light hammer, four times the size of my weapon, appeared.

Captain Falmore flourished his sword at the infernal in a taunting gesture. It regained its balance, staring down at the human. It roared in fury, and its arm sweeped down again.

The human warrior raised his shield. Cracks appeared on the ground below him as the blow landed. However, he held.

His sword glowed red, empowered with rage he generated from the infernal’s blow. He pivoted and slashed the infernal’s arm. It burst in a shower of rocks. The infernal screamed in what seemed like agony.

Singlepipe pointed a wrist contraption at the infernal. An arm-mounted rocket popped up. He pushed a button, and the missile went flying.

Bluebeard had his crossbow out. A bolt with a blunt, bright red end was loaded. He aimed it at the infernal and released it with a twang.

I swung my hammer against the thing’s side.

Our attacks landed in explosions of sound and light. I dashed back before the explosion engulfed me.

As the smoke cleared, I couldn’t believe it. The infernal still stood. Large chunks of its body were missing, but it still stood. It roared again.

Rocks rose, carried along currents of fel energy, patching up the holes in its body.

“I don’t think we have the weapons to stop that thing!” Singlepipe yelled.

“We have to try again!” Captain Falmore yelled. “Go from t-.” Captain Falmore raised his shield as the infernal’s arm came swinging toward him from the side. Then I saw a shadowbolt rushing toward him from behind.

“Captain!” I yelled. I started drawing a barrier seal with my hands. It didn’t help. I wasn’t close enough.

The bolt struck the warrior. Captain Falmore stumbled forward, not anticipating the sudden strike. His shield drooped. We watched with horror as the arm struck him with a sickening crunch and knocked him away. His shield and sword fell. He landed face-down on the ground.

My eyes turned in the direction of the shadowbolt. An orc warlock stood in front of one of the mine entrances. He had a single shaking hand stretched out, riddled with shards of glass. Behind him were the surviving orcs. One of the warriors had the infernal stone in on one hand. Another carried a little girl, wrapped in cloth. They disappeared into the mines.

The warlock gave me a fanged grin, content to let the infernal finish us off. He turned following the rest of his kind into the darkness.

The infernal let out another deafening roar. It lifted a leg and was about to step on Captain Falmore when it rocked back as something exploded off its shoulder.

Bluebeard loaded another bolt into his crossbow and fired. The ensuing explosion sent the infernal further back

“Lad! Get Captain Falmore and get out of here! I’ll keep this thing busy!” he yelled at me. He loaded and fired another bolt. A puff of smoke plumed in front of the infernal’s face. Blind. It swung, hitting nothing but air.

Singlepipe already seemed to be several steps ahead. I saw him help Alamere up. The elf was clutching his waist. They began to limp away.

“We can’t just leave you here!” I replied.

“Doesn’t matter! Ain’t nobody messes with Bluebeard’s chums. Especially not some lousy hunk of rock!” he yelled. He dropped his crossbow, when the last bolt bounced harmlessly off the infernal’s rocky hide. He unslung his rifle and began to fire.

I couldn’t just Bluebeard here to die. There was also no telling whether we would be able to outrun that thing. Even with our mounts.

However, the infernal just took all of our strongest blows and shrugged it off like they were nothing. The rocks just reformed every time we took out a chunk.

I then noticed that the currents had a pattern. They appeared from the center. I noticed a part where the infernal’s armor hadn’t reformed was a core of green fel energy. A core.

“Aim for the green orb in its center!” I yelled.

Bluebeard listened and fired a shot. The infernal buckled, however the core of energy remained intact. Rocks rapidly reforming around it.

“No good! Get out of here!” he yelled, reloading.

Then it hit me. I had never fought against an actual demonic being, but it was taught to all paladins. It happened on the battlefield when I struck the warlock’s barrier. An element’s weakness was its diametric opposite. Water to Fire. Fel to Light.

I had one shot at this.

“I got another idea! Keep it distracted!” I said and began to redraw the seal of judgment. My mana gauge fell and light enveloped my hammer. 45%...38%.... as I continued to channel light energy.

“What! For the love of the Tita-Damn it lad!” he yelled, firing again.

34%...30%.... My hammer began to shine brighter and brighter.

“Whatever you’re planning you better not die. Otherwise I am going to haunt your ghost for as long as I live!” I heard him yell. Another shot boomed out.

24%.... Then it stopped. The seal’s power had reached its limit.

The infernal’s core was still visible. It was still reforming though. I had to do this while it was exposed. I charged.

“I’m out!” Bluebeard yelled.

The infernal turned its gaze from the dwarf to me. It raised an arm to strike. I was running too fast and wouldn’t be able to dodge.

Ice shot up in front of the arm, locking it in place. Out of the corner of my sight I saw Alamere, leaning against Singlepipe. One hand stretched out with a broken top of his staff. The blue energy fizzled out.

This was no time to be grateful. I had to focus. I was within striking range. I heaved and swung my warhammer. The expanded light-empowered weapon smashed into the infernal’s rock armor.

“Come on!” I yelled. I pressed my warhammer harder. Cracks appeared from the strain. The infernal’s arm broke free of the ice.

Then the rock gave way. As the light hammer impacted the infernal’s core. There was a chaotic flash of green and yellow light.

The infernal roared, its voice pitched higher until it became a shriek. The core glowed as the opposing energies swirled around each other. It glowed brighter and brighter until it was as blinding as the afternoon sun. Cracks rippled out of the infernal’s body. Then, like a bomb, the being detonated.

The aftershock threw me back. The recoil sent my weapon flying out of my hands.

I landed on the ground. After a moment I opened my eyes. There was a massive black scar where the infernal once stood. Rocks lay strewn about. Wisps of fel energy dissipated from them and into the nether.

It was over.

I let out a sigh, and breathed deeply for the first time since the fight.

I noticed my broken hammer on the ground. The head was shattered, the inscribed seal cut in half. I felt a tinge of sadness. I got that hammer when I graduated from the Knight’s academy. It had been with me since then. I had hoped to bring it home.

I could feel the bruises everywhere. A healing seal could have solved that problem. Unfortunately I couldn’t.

“You did it lad. You did it! Always believed in yeh!” I heard Bluebeard yell. He scrambled over to me.

“Well…its as you always said. Find the weak spot first. Then go for the strike,” I replied.

Bluebeard laughed. “Well, its good knowin my lessons are stickin!”

“Help me up,” I said. “I need to go see to the Captain Falmore.”

Captain Falmore was comatose. He had taken one hell of a beating and would have a few more scars added to his face but he was alive. Singlepipe and Alamere joined us.

“That was a reckless decision young man,” the elf wheezed. His hands clutched his waist. Broken ribs, and we had run out of healing potions.

Then he gave me a weak smile. “Reckless but I’d say brave. I daresay nobody has ever taken out an infernal with so few before.”

“Well we just upped the ante on ‘things we shouldn’t have lived through, but did so anyway.’ Do you think we could find ourselves a black dragon before this patrol ends?” I smiled back.

The elf tried to chuckle but coughed instead. “Please…let us not tempt fate. I have enough stories to last an entire elven life-time with you lot, and I do want to see Silvermoon again. Preferably in one piece.”

“So what do we do now?” Singlepipe asked.

“We…We should retreat. We are in no condition to pursue the orcs,” Alamere said

“Well Lad. I think that is your decision. You’re next in charge,” Bluebeard said to me.

I suddenly became aware of everyone’s eyes turning towards me. Bluebeard was right. With Captain Falmore down I was the now ranking officer.

Then we heard the sound of something running toward us.

It was the boy. He looked surprisingly well, given how just before the battle he was nearly drained dry. Must’ve inherited his father’s physique. Fenstring trailed behind him.

“Fenstring! I told you to get the boy to safety!” Bluebeard said as the hawk dove and perched on the dwarf’s arm.

It squawked in return.

“Eh, whatever. Couldn’t help but worry about your old pal. I get it,” he said nuzzling the bird’s chin.

“Do you actually talk bird?” Singlepipe asked.

“No. I don’t think anyone does,” Bluebeard replied.

“Well how do you know it said that,” the gnome asked.

“Its… a hunter thing,” Bluebeard replied.

The boy tugged at my knee. “W-W-Will everything be okay?” he asked.

I went down to his height.

“Everything is okay now kid. We’ll get you to safety soon,” I said.

“W-Will I see Ma and Pa again?” he asked.

My lips went tight.

“I cannot promise, but I am sure they are looking for you as well. We’ll find them,” I lied.

The boy nodded.

“And Emma, what about Emma? My sister. The monsters took her. I saw them,” he asked pointing to the mine entrance.

“I am afraid your sister is out of our reach. However, your safety can be assured,” Alamere interrupted.

“But they took her! You’ll save her though. Won’t you? Won’t you?” the boy begged.

“It would be most imprudent of us to do so. Do you not see our condition? We risked our necks to save your hide child,” the elf replied.

“For such a long-lived and ‘wise’ race, you all are quite the insensitive lot …” Bluebeard said. Fenstring squawked in what seemed like agreement.

“But I am right.” Alamere said.

Bluebeard sighed and shook his head.

Singlepipe looked away and whistled. He didn’t do well with handling these situations.

The kid looked at me. For the love of the light he started to cry.

“Look kid…,” I started not knowing exactly what to say or how to say it.

What was I going to do? Alamere did have a point. We were in no condition to go on another rescue run. The mission was done. The orcs were trapped, and those mines were long abandoned and led nowhere. If whatever was down in the mines didn’t get them first, we would have a few patrols waiting for them to come back out.

I could almost envision the kid’s future. The corpses of his parents would be recovered. There would be a burial ceremony. Some priest would bless the graves, give the kid some comforting words on how his family’s souls were now one with the light. Then he would get shipped off to one of the hundreds of orphanages in the kingdom for war orphans. He’d be taken of care until he came of age.

His sister would probably never be seen again. The boy already lost his family, what more was one more? Everyone lost family. It was the way of this world.

I felt the doll tied to my belt. The one his father gave me with his dying breath. Just one more broken promise.

If we left now, there would be no repercussions. It was the right thing by the book. Preserve our forces. Live to fight another day.

Then why did it feel so wrong?

“Don’t worry,” I said and patted the boy on his head. “We’ll save your sister.”

“You will? You promise?” the boy asked.

I reached around grabbing the doll. I put it in his hands.

“Yes, that is a promise,” I said.

“Eratus you cannot be serious!” Alamere tried to yell but started coughing.

“Don’t strain yourself Alamere,” I said and walked past him.

I picked up Captain Falmore’s sword and shield. Not the ideal set of arms. My swordsmanship was terrible, it was why I had a hammer in the first place. There was also no seal on the weapon, and I didn’t have time to inscript a new one.

I’ll be back in no time. Bluebeard send a message to Camp Victory for help.” I said. “I drew a hearthstone from my pouch and tossed it toward him.

“Oh sod off. If you’re going down there, I’m coming with ya!” Bluebeard replied.

“You don’t have to come with me. This is my decision,” I said.

“Bah. Singlepipe can handle the message,” he said and tossed the hearthstone to the gnome, who caught it.

“Besides,” he said and walked to the dead worg. He tore his axes free. He pointed at the mines. “Those are dwarven tunnels. You’ll need a dwarf to navigate those.”

“You don’t have to do this,” he said.

“Lad. I’ve lived a long time. Remember what I told yeh,” he said.

I remembered. It was one of the first things he told me. Never argue with a 150 year old dwarf. Odds are he knows a thing or two.

“We stick together till the end,” Bluebeard replied and winked.

I sighed but smiled.

“Thank you,” I said.

“There we go! Now… lets hunt some orc!” Bluebeard said, brandishing his axes.

We walked forward. Side-by-side. Out of the sunlight and into the darkness. To whatever awaited us in the depths below.

0