Chapter 1
28 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Check out the full chapter for FREE on my main site. Click HERE!

---------------

The sound of the keys on the keyboard echo in my small studio apartment, as I try to finish up the results of my latest investigative work.

"They really thought they could get away with selling placebos to those villagers?" Shaking my head, I remember the scene inside of the hospital with the rows of patients suffering from an outbreak of Sullivan's Disease.

Even now, I still feel the restrictive feeling of the biohazard suit protecting me from the infected as I took photos of children reaching out in desperation. Their arms covered in lesions, viscous bodily fluids seeping out of their infected wounds.

Gagging a little, I lean back in my chair to keep the bile down.

"Fuck...," I place a hand over my eyes, trying to forget everything.

"You can't lose it now, Brian. Get your head back in the game and find the next story. You got this." I attempt to psych myself up for the next story.

Pulling the hand down my face, I lean forward and look over the article I finished editing. This article was several times longer and denser compared to my other words. It made me sacrifice several days to polish it up, but looking over the content, I feel as though it was worth it.

I couldn't help but look at the growing piles of bills in my incoming tray. Most of the bills had been moved to the "over one-month due" tray.

Pulling out my smartphone, I checked for any messages and noticed the missed call and voicemail icon, reminding me of the messages I received about my bill being due.

"I hate those automated messages," I shove the phone back into my pocket. Glad to get rid of some of them after the editor approves my article.

Gary was likely waiting for my email. He knew how badly I needed the money and made arrangements with accounting to have it dispersed upon his approval to my online banking account.

Opening up the Courage browser, I turned on the Enigma router function built into the software. On top of the Virtual Private Network I use, the Enigma router was just an additional layer of anonymity I used when submitting articles to Gary.

"The last thing I need is some of these companies tracking me down," I sighed.

Making sure to remove any metadata on the document file, I typed in the URL for the anonymous email service I used. Seeing the login screen, I moved the cursor to where my locally stored password manager was located and typed in the master password.

Selecting the folder labeled "email," I went through and copied the password. Going back to the browser, I pasted in the necessary login name and my fifty-plus long password.

Seeing how I had an unread message waiting for me, I quickly clicked to compose a new email and uploaded the document.

-----------

Check out the full chapter for FREE on my main site. Click HERE!

0