As Fate Commands
61 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A planet sat barren, desolate. Not even the sand was able to keep this cold rock company.

 

Far above the sky, the atmosphere, and even space itself sat a layer that could only be pure and undiluted fundamentals. 

 

There existed next to nothing. This space was nothing other than a veil of pure white. Two things floated in the vast expanse of nothingness that covered the world. Two beings sitting atop shadowless thrones faced a single marble on a table without color. 

 

The marble, like the table, held no color. Its frosted exterior is webbed with ruptures.

 

“As usual, this one has fallen to mundanity.” The being that sat to the left of the marble spoke with much disappointment and apathy. 

 

“That would be your fault Anahato.” The being to the right of the marble intoned to the now named Anahato with amusement.

 

"You keep your mouth shut, cur. Both you and I know that it was you who turned this world into something this boring, Hildiran.” Anahato’s voice smoldered with fury at the accusation. He grasped the marble and squeezed lightly. 

 

Once his hand opened once again, there was not even a shard to remember the world. 

 

Hildiran made a noise that could only be assumed to be a laugh and gestured lightly. A new marble stood on the empty table. This one was flush with color and had a clean surface.

 

“Oh? What is this?” Anahato remarked with surprise, his voice no longer held the elements of annoyance. He leaned in to inspect the marble much more precisely, allowing the multiple colors to illuminate his metallic shell. 

 

“See for yourself Hildiran, this world has used nothing but Technology and has come this far.” The gradually shifting mass of metal and wires offered the marble to his compatriot with no small amount of smugness in his entire being.

 

“Well, for mortals, I suppose it is impressive.“ His voice was now monotone. The little amusement Hildiran had drained away. 

 

“Do not be so green, mongrel. I know you favor parlor tricks, but this is undeniable proof that applied sciences outstrip your so-called miracles.” Anahato’s form melded and morphed into a series of sharp shapes as he laughed in ridicule, openly mocking his companion. 

 

The essence that formed Hildiran bled from gray into black. The space around him began to twist and fold violently.

 

"Do you want me to be happy that my gift is being bullied and disrespected by just sticks and string?" His voice was void of emotion, carrying his cold anger. He dared the other man to say anything.

 

Anahato continued to laugh, belittling Hildiran’s anger. It took him many moments before he could finally put a stop to himself, even as the void around the two of them shook with catastrophic intensity.

 

“It seems that even after the last century, you have not changed your mind on Technology.” Anahato fidgeted with the marble in his hand, passing it through his fingers multiple times.

 

“That is good. If you were to change, then our bet would no longer exist. In lieu, so would my excitement." 

 

Hildiran looked at Anahato in silence.

 

Harrumphing once before the violent quaking finally stopped. 

 

“How about you stop acting so high and mighty now? Be grateful that I was gracious enough to partake in a new bet. Especially after you tried hoodwinking me.”

 

“Hah!” The retort was short and intense, Anahato challenged Hidiran’s theory. “An audacious claim, can you prove it?”

 

Hildiran bored his gaze into Anahato with a deadpan expression. His faceless features seemed to quickly contort into an expression of derisive scorn as his hands laced into each other.

 

"You know I could easily prove that, but if I did,” The Mass of Essence spoke slowly, cautiously. “Then Amatsu would know we have not been upholding our duties." 

 

Anahato leaned forward. He placed the marble back onto the table gently, gazing towards Hildiran as he formulated his reply. 

 

“I don’t buy it. Amatsu most definitely knows about our half-assed commitments.” Anahato sank into his seat, appearing to be the opposite of Hildiran's anxious temperament. “Why he has not done anything about it is beyond me."

 

Hildiran offered no reply as he mulled over what Anahato had spoken.

 

"Let's not push our luck and even think about it. Let bygones be bygones, I suppose." Hildiran renounced his worries for the moment.

 

Anahato scoffed once more. "Only you were worried about this Luddite." 

 

"I see you're still being dishonest with yourself, dolt." Hildiran chuckled lightly. “You do know, even a dunce like yourself can show emotion without appearing miserable and weak, right?”

 

“I don’t wish to listen to the squabbling of the runner-up." The metallic entity imitated the posture of a tyrant, propping his head up with his arm on the armrest whilst crossing his legs.

 

“Whatever you say, sore loser.” Hildiran continued to laugh good-naturedly for a few more moments before dispelling it all together. 

 

“Now, onto the main topic.” The ethereal being clapped once. “It is time for me to choose my champion this time. He is almost ripe for the pickings.”

 

“You’re still set on choosing that mongrel?” Anahato seemed to be surprised.

 

“Yes, he does interest me after all." Hildiran looked into Anahato's eyes, searching for an answer as he spoke. "Do you have a problem with that?”

 

“Out of every other slightly competent being, you chose someone as mediocre as him. It is only natural I am astonished by your thought process.” Anahato then hummed to himself. “Not even to mention, you still have that strange penchant about you. You always choose the ones closer to breaking. I cannot fathom your reasoning.”

 

Hildiran began to lean back further into his seat, adopting a questioning and modest bearing. "Allow me to enlighten you then. My interest, that's not the main reason I chose someone like him. If you recall, you’re the one who made this agreement a century ago. Because of it, this now is considered fate."

 

The mass of sentient alloy and ingots pondered, delving into the brinks of his mind to search for his memories. It took barely a moment for him to remember. His mannerism changed from imposing to exuding a sort of positivity.

 

“Ah… I almost forgot about that.” Anahato’s eyes emitted a sinister glow as he spoke mirthfully. “It is time to see if the fruits of his labor are enough.”

 

Hildiran stared at his rival inquisitively. There were a few questions that stuck to the tip of his tongue before he banished them. He instead beckoned into the void with a call. “Mio, come here, please.”

 

A female’s silhouette began to solidify at the side of Hildiran, appearing from literal nothingness.

 

"Yes? Did you call for me?" A firm and pleasant voice rang out from the nothingness.

 

Anahato clicked his tongue in annoyance at the sight of Mio. “I don't know why you respond to that name. All you are is a servant for Hildiran, nothing more. You could have been more by my side."

 

Mio bowed to Anahato, attempting to appease him in some measure. “I am thankful to you, Master Anahato. It was just that circumstance that led me to Milord Hildiran instead. Mio is the name that Milord Hildiran has bestowed upon me. I will continue to use it for all of eternity. ”

 

The space around Anahato began to burn, his gaze to Mio hardened with displeasure, promising nothing short of agony. The divine servant remained resolute, unflinching at the potential peril as she stayed curtsied.

 

Hildiran grumbled once before he broke the awkward atmosphere. “Alright enough. You two,” The writhing mass of energy threw a glance to them both. “Mio, don't mind him. Now, I'm sure you know why I summoned you."

 

As Mio began to stand straight again, her facial features depicted uncertainty. “Are you sure, milord? Must it be this miscreant specifically?”

 

Hildiran nodded slowly, exasperatedly. “It must. Because now, it has become fate."

 

Mio stared at her benefactor neutrally. Her face, very thoughts, and intent betrayed nothing. 

 

She turned to Hildiran directly and bowed once more. “I have received your command, milord.”

 

Mio’s existence began to fade. Her thoughts were the only things that could keep her company as she dispersed into nonexistence.

 

Fate, what does that even mean, milord Hildaran?

2