Chapter 4
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, I got a call from my dad.

“Clarence! You’ve barely been calling me, you damn brat! You think just because you got into a big school, you can forget about me?!”

I chuckled hearing Dad’s meltdown.

“Are you laughing-

Before Dad could continue, I heard Mom chide him and grab the phone.

“Clarence, you know how your dad is. He’s just worried about you.”

I heard Dad argue over the phone.

“I’m not worried about him. Most times.”

Mom tried to control her laughter over what I guessed to be Dad blushing at his own confession.

“Is everything ok, Mom?”

“We’re all fine, dear. Your Dad and I just wanted to call to let you know that Ava is coming over to visit you. Make sure to take care of her.”

Ava. I ended up smiling the moment I thought of the name.

“I’ll take care of her, Mom. You make sure to take care of Mr. Tough Guy back there.”

I heard Dad begin to erupt again with Mom laughing loudly.

“Take care of yourself as well, Clarence. I’ll see you soon.”

“Love you, Mom. You too, Dad.”

I heard Dad complaining about me as Mom put down her phone. Looking around, I started preparing for Ava’s arrival. She arrived just before lunch. The moment she saw me, she tackled me to the ground.

“Clarence!”

I ruffled her hair.

“Glad to see you full of energy but can you get off me? You’re very heavy.”

Ava pouted and started pulling on my cheeks.

“What did you say about me?”

“I’m chorry. I won’t say it again.”

She let go and looked at me satisfied with her victory.

“You’ve become quite bratty, haven’t you?”

I began tickling her sides eventually making her cry from laughter. In between gasps of air, she was begging me to stop. Hugo walked into the room and dropped his books when he saw me. His face contorted in horror.

“I’m just going to the Warden. Don’t mind me.”

I quickly let go of Ava and grabbed Hugo’s sleeve.

“She knows me. We were just playing around. Don’t report me.”

Hugo looked at me sternly for an explanation. Before I could start, I heard a loud grumbling noise behind me. Ava blushed slightly.

“Shall we eat first?”

As we were walking towards the cafeteria, Ava was looking around with a huge grin on her face. She tugged on my sleeve and asked me question after question. While she was relishing lunch, I simply stared at her eating with so much joy. After lunch, we grabbed some ice-cream and walked back to the room. Ava ended up eating the ice cream quickly and shuddered, clutching her head. I laughed and gently rubbed her head. After a while, she fell asleep on my shoulder.

“Do you mind telling me who this is now?”

I stared at Hugo sadly.

“This is Ava. She was my neighbour, a kind, precious girl. At an early age, her parents simply walked away. Ava assumed that it was her signum that made her parents disappear.”

I pulled up Ava’s sleeve. Hugo looked at it in horror. The red mark was covered with huge, deep scars.

“She tried to cut her signum off. I managed to stop her before she went too far. After that, her aunt came to pick her up. A great woman. She raised Ava by herself.”

I smiled at Hugo.

“Did you know, Hugo? After a long time, Ava wants to return to school. She’s a very bright student. Imagine if she gets into Aequalitas. Not the Aequalitas we know but the Aequalitas we will create with our victory.”

I hugged Ava. She opened her eyes and stared at me weirdly.

“Why’re you hugging me, Clarence?”

“Am I not allowed to?”

She wrapped her arms around me and embraced me tightly. Soon, I got a message from Ava’s aunt. I met her at the gate of the campus.

“Thank you for taking care of her, Clarence.”

“Its not a problem. Thank you for bringing her here.”

Ava’s aunt chuckled.

“I don’t know why you’re being so formal with me. Just treat me like your aunt.”

I smiled. Ava waved at me.

“I’ll see you here again, Clarence. Soon!”

I waved.

“I’ll be waiting.”

As Ava drove away, I stood at the gates, pondering on whether I would be able to see her in this school smiling.

I felt Hugo’s hand on my shoulder.

“Let’s create a new Aequalitas, Clarence!”

I felt all of my doubt dissipate. With my classmates and friends here, I’m not that afraid of the future.

“Let’s go.”

 

 

0