25. Overthinking
79 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Another day, another casual breakfast.

Today, Mei felt prepared now that she was actually taken as an apprentice. She ate contently, enjoying the good food, drinking some tea from time to time.

"So," Xiuying started. "How's everyone's apprenticeship going?"

Mei spat out her tea and coughed.

"Mei, are you okay?" Xiuying asked, slightly concerned.

But in Mei's eyes, her glance felt more like a demon's.

Was there ever going to be a day she didn't need to hide her progress?

"I'm fine," she mumbled.

She thought to her self that if she was asked about her apprenticeship, she would say her throat was too uncomfortable to talk now.

Xiuying nodded.

"It's terrible!" Yiying complained, slamming his fist onto the table. "That stupid Wang Wei was the first of the new students to make a pill! It's always the asses that are talented..."

Liu Qiang, jolted by the table, choked on his food and coughed it out. He glared at Yingyi.

"Sorry, accident," he said, nonchalantly.

"Eh... there sure is quite some coughing today? Haha... what is it, a curse?" Xiuying tried to crack a joke to lighten up the conversation.

From the awkward look on her face after she said that, she must have realised it wasn't very funny.

Mei didn't like how Yingyi was badmouthing Wang Wei. But she couldn't exactly blame him either. That stupid kid... why did he have to act like such a brat during the assessment?"

Normally, Mei would have kept her mouth shut in such a situation. She wasn't really the type to speak up and defend people.

But... she considered a few things.

If she spoke up, that would make her 'throat uncomfortable' excuse invalid. But in the first place, it was a terrible excuse! If she said that, they'd most likely call her bluff immediately and assume she was unwilling to share because she was lagging behind! It was one that was in the territory of last resorts.

But, if she spoke up and defended him, there would be an 80-90% chance to change the topic entirely! Plus, she was in a virtuous sect anyway, so doing some good was a good idea, especially since karma was a thing?

Mei felt extremely proud, realising how stupid it was that she felt proud, but she felt proud nonetheless. In just a few moments, she assessed everything! It was as if 'beyond her limits' just to save her from this 'desperate' situation.

"Wang Wei isn't that bad," she said. "He- uh... talked to me in the library?"

Wait, no! Her mind went blank as she combed for compliments. In the end, their interaction was pretty much just all in the library! Even Yingyi probably talked to him more!

No no no. She felt like her brain was fizzling. Now she was feeling stupid.

What did they even talk about? Memories of her being rather annoyed with him then came up. Not those! She continued.

"They must really care about you if they spent all that time to teach you that, huh?" 
"Oh, and you should do something about your hair and bath properly! You're going to stand out looking like that!"

Come to think of it... even the 'nice' things he said annoyed her.

"Go on," said Yingyi.

"He reassured me about some things and advised me to clean up?" she said unsurely. "I don't think he's a bad kid. He's just quiet most of the time so it's hard to tell?"

Liu Qiang gave her a thoughtful look.

"Maybe he has a crush on you?" he grinned.

If Mei had tea in her mouth, she would have spat it out yet again.

"He's like 7 or something!" Xiuying said. "Don't make this weird."

Liu Qiang laughed. 

"Eh. I still don't like him." Yingyi said. "I believe you, but only because I don't think the sect master would pick some ass of a young master. But good people can still be stuck up pricks too, and I'm pretty sure he's one."

Well, at least she tried.

She was surprised Yingyi didn't try to make a joke at her expense, speaking reasonably instead.

Xiuying looked down at the table thoughtfully, looking slightly guilty.

"I noticed he was looking rather sad at the table yesterday. Maybe he's sad because we don't talk to him much?" she said. "I think we should try to get to know him better next time."

And finally, the topic was changed. much to Mei's relief. She really needed to start working hard so she wouldn't be left behind!

Having bought the topic of Wang Wei being nice up, she decided that maybe she should talk to him more too. 

 


 

"Mei Xiu! Why were you absent yesterday?" Xuefang, the axe elder glared at her.

She shrunk back. Because there wasn't a hall lecture yesterday, she forgot!

"I, uh..." she couldn't think of an excuse.

The elder shook his head and sighed.

"The first few lessons are always the most important! If you need to miss lessons, find a better time to miss them!"

...what. Was he giving her advice on skipping leasons?

She put in a lot of effort in honing her axe skills. When the tournament comes, she would show her friends how capable she was!

 


 

Tired from all the training, Mei headed to Li Xuan's residence, heading into the only classroom she heard talking.

"Mei! Why did you come into class all sweaty? Take a shower first next time!"

"Sorry..."

Great, she managed to displease 2 elders in the same day.

The lessons were rather far ahead by now, so Mei felt like she couldn't absorb much. It was not a very good feeling.

Li Xuan must have realised, leaning in to whisper to her.

"Just read the jade slip I gave you for the basics."

Mei felt a bit exasperated.

"Master... I can't use it. It gives me a headache."

"You," Li Xuan began. "Urgh... You must have forced too much qi into it. Just use a small amount and you'll be fine. I forget to mention that sometimes."

"Sorry," Mei said, feeling a little dumb.

The elder didn't seem to be in a good mood today, so she was rather meek.

When the lessons ended, she went for an early dinner before returning to her room.

"Urgh... I'm so tired," she mumbled as she flopped onto the mattress she threw on the floor previously, not caring that she was in dirty clothes.

She didn't sleep on it anyway.

Turning to look at the books messily placed on the table, Mei sighed. She had a very strong urge to read them, but she knew it would just make her want to cultivate less.

Grudgingly, Mei spent the rest of the night cultivating, finally breaking into the 7th level. She was now halfway to the 8th level.

3