Chapter 3: Friends
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 3: Papa and Friends

EPISODE: 0 《HIS STORY》

The name's Lin. a young adventurer about in my 20's that managed to climb up the ranks when i first started. well of course, i wasn't alone when  first started. To that, i have my best friend here, Cathy! 

as per request of mister Flûgel, I and Cathy are current touring Cress inside of the village. But it wasn't always like this, Before this village looked like a fort, this village looked like any ordinary village with a waist length fence and open paths to and every corner to the forest. 

which is, unfortunate since Cress here cannot see the beauty this village once had, instead of seeing a tall log wall spanning across the whole village and a barren cut down tress just behind it. 

But i heard that these two came from within the forest, Just what kind of life did they live in it before this current situation? Our goal here was to subjugate a certain monster that was spotted around these parts of the forest. side goal is to protect every inhabitant in this village since relocating them would only pose danger as we are inside of our enemies' area.  

anyways, Apart from that sad and grim story. 

It feels like a bliss, Her soft skin and fluffy hair was just like sugar to my heart. And as i cuddled her like a doll, she remained expressionless with her innocent look that made the sweet currently overflowing in my chest stronger. 

smooth blue hair like the cloudless skies, and sapphire like eyes reflecting her curiosity like that of a cat's. I cant explain it but, somehow this cuteness seems off, hey isn't this just too much? 

which reminds me, She is just like my little sister living on our home village with my parents. She is just about the same age as my little sister, about 11 or 12? No its more like around 10 and 11. 

"Lin don't just haggle Cress on your own. Come on! Share her to me too!" (Cathy) 

Cathy, my friend since we were still in our childhood accompanied me on my goal to became a great adventurer and has been ever with me since. She is my partner in life threatening situations, wherever and whenever. 

Unlike me, Cathy has a chestnut like colored hair and brown maple eyes, while i had a slight yellow-ish chestnut colored hair and greenish eyes. Compared to us, Cress was the one that stood out amongst us. Nonetheless, as we walk around the village greeting everyone, it seems there was nothing to be worried about. But it sparks me somewhat questioning where did she get such a rare color? 

Anyways, Cathy's main weapon of choice was a small bow that had two entangled strings for power. You could say it is a compound bow of sorts, but to pull such a bow would require lots of strength to do so. As to help her with that, her's has a special kind of mechanism that scavenged by us and fitted on her bow to pull the string. 

I don't know how it works, but it is just as simple as triggering a button that turns a spring inside of a small gearbox that would lessen or tighten the string in an instant, giving that 'strong' effect. 

While she uses a bow, i use a sword that had a two sharp sides to cut down any foe. It is arm length as having one longer than one would pose a problem in tight spaces like for example, labyrinths and indoors. it is a bit thinner than commercial swords, but it is what makes it special for my own usage. 

 

"Sorry i just cant get over how cute Cress is, If possible i would like to adopt her and leave my current career if possible" (Lin) 

"Lin!" (Cathy)
"Sorry, i was just joking" (Lin)

"Don't say that! We worked hard for this! It's not okay!"(Cathy) 

"Yeah I'm really sorry, look Cress is trying to calm you down"(Lin)

while us two were talking to each other, almost amounting to an argument. Cress was trying to calm us down by tugging our clothes and swinging her heads from side to side 'No!' or like that. How cute! 

"I'm sorry Cress, Look I'm okay see?" (Cathy) 1 so since i need to, or, needed to. I actually changed and fixed the prefixes and story line a little a bit from here. well if you're reading this is as a first, then don't mind this message. If you read this from my other account, then I'll just leave this here

Cathy then picked up cress by her armpits and lifted her unto her neck, a piggy back ride. even though children would weigh as much as 20kilo or more, Cathy was able to easily lift up Cress without much trouble. Was it  because she kept pulling that ridiculously tight bowstring every time she shoots?

"Hey that's unfair! Let me do that too!" (Lin) 

"You're the one who's unfair! monopolizing Cress on your own! we're friends aren't we? So I'll just help myself!" (Cathy)

 "But i want to do it too-" 

before our little chit chat turned into another argument, Cress, sat on top of Cathy's shoulders leaned forward towards me and carressed my head. 'I'll be yours later' she said with actions before grabbing hard into the ears of Cathy as if it was a handle. 

"Ouch!" (Cathy) 

"Cathy I'm really sorry but I'll taking Cress!" 

"Sorry to interrupt you ladies, and you too little girl. Are you from outside here? are you both calm downed now?" (?)

"Ah Chief! How's the progress?" (Lin) 

"Umu, Yeah!" (Cathy)

"You idiots don't just changed the subject so suddenly. Sigh, Anyways around 100 mediocre rank adventurers have been positioned and are ready to move out. By the way, why are you two even asking this? You know that you both will be staying here right? 

Also can you kindly introduce that little girl over there on top of Cathy" (Village Chief) 

" This is... " (Lin & Cathy)

"Cress, Nice to meet you" (Cress) 

Months ago, a recent 'earthquake' occurred near of our village. i sent out some scouts as well as myself to patrol the site, and saw a devastating disaster more dangerous than any natural calamity. A stampeded. The tracks of their footsteps span over 100mels(Meters) outward, and the length of their tracks exceeds than our eyes can see. 

Fearing this, I reported it to the kingdom we are affiliated to just the day after we found it. Days after, we also found a wreckage of an old wagon burried in the rubble, But the time of which this wagon was buried differs from the current stampede tracks. 

Which means, an accident over years ago happened here without our notice at all. 

not long after a group of adventurers arrived in our village talked with us about the report whether if it was true or not. They then decided to look into it on their own and went deeper into the forest to investigate and came back with sweats on their face. 

The one that rode a horse immediately buckled up and left in haste away from our village as the rest of his party remained to plan out a defense in advance. 

Cutting down the forest we foraged, constructing buildings we never once needed until now, and repurposed old housing to hold their weapons and supplies as they built tents for themselves to live on. 

the whole group then arrived 2days later, bringing about 100+ adventurers from kinds of ranks and positions, albeit I don't see any high rankers. 

Don't they see the danger this posses right now? 

so i asked. 

"Isn't this just too small to take on a stampede of that size?" (chief)

" Back up will arrive in 5days. in that time, we must do everything we can to prevent the monsters from ever attacking before that" 

they said. 

In an blink of an eye, our small village was transformed day and night in front of our eyes into a fortified base. Some of my peers and the villagers opposed the sudden change, but we had no choice either way or we're good as dead don't.

back to the present. 

i sigh to myself when i heard the bickering of the two adventurers that were a rank high, or even better than the rest of the group. They were three, One of which was the man i asked 4days ago. 

They were a cheerful duo that helped me ease the uneasiness of the village folk and helped us with our daily needs to increase the trust between them and us, and even shared several recipes to help us widen our culinary taste. 

From what I heard. Those two in particular were friends since before they applied for this job. Childhood friends, is what I heard from their colleagues. 

As I come closer to the two who are always arguing in some way or another, I spot an unfamiliar face on top of Cathy. A blue haired little girl, wearing the clothes that were requested from us a moment ago. 

Ah, is she one of those two that had arrived from inside the forest? I need to dig out more. But let's save that for later.

"So little girl, Wanna come with uncle here? Its better than those two idiots" (Chief)

*nods*(Cress) 

The girl, named Cress, nodded smoothly into my words. Huh, well I guess it isn't too bad for some old timer like me to experience raising a child. 

"Good. Come on Cathy, lower the child " (Chief) 

"Fine… " (Cathy)

"Hey uncle, that's unfair! She didn't know what to reply!" (Lin)

"Hey, The kid nodded. " (Chief) 

hey lady, You're a kid too you know?

Once the kid had been lowered down, i held her small hand guided her instead of the two whom i just left behind. I may not be a combatant anymore, but i can more or less feel both of their presence on my back piercing me out with their gazes. 

not minding them, the first of the detitanation is our village's greatest cook. Miranda, She is a cheerful married woman that just got back after a tiring cuisine journey across many lands. 

"Oh chief! is this the little girl I've been hearing about? Isn't she cute! Come, let aunty serve you some cookies" (Miranda) 

Her shop is located at the center of our village, not just for easy access but since she also often ran a shop, it was only logical that her home would be located near it too. or in this case, at the back of the shop. 

talking about them, her husband is an ex adventurer. It doesn't mean now lacks his skills when he was one, so as a result he was recruited into the expedition force as a back up in case the front lines were to retreat. The husband happily accepted the offer, but the wife was visibly oozing out demonic aura yet with an angelic smile. Scary.

"Nice to meet you" (Cress) 

"Isn't she quite the polite girl? Hey you two over there, be like this little girl can you? "(Miranda)

the two who had been gazing at our backs ever since i took cress from them, had their heads peeking out of a crate at the front door. as if it isn't obvious that there considering the amount of eyes they attracting. 

"I think I still have laundry to collect" (Lin)

"Uh oh, I've been found out!"  (Cathy)

"Hey Lin. You don't have a laundry and Cathy, I wont serve you your favorite dish if you don't come here" (Miranda) 

"i have come forth madam!" (Cathy) 

"Cathy! Don't sell your soul to that demon!" 

"Sorry Lin! i cant give up my food!" 

"Cathy!!!!" 

 

 

"Sigh. These two. When will your mischief end?" (chief) 

"Sorry" 

"Little girl, Its not your fault okay? You're current guardians are just dumb after all" (Miranda)

"Oh i have a questioned Cress, Is Mister Flugel your papa?" 

Lin, having seated behind the counter as well as everyone spoke up. Everyone present there, Bystanders or not all raised their heads and leaned closer to listen in the talk. 

"Pa... pa?" 

Cress whispered, confused. 

"Oi you weirdoes over there. Sho Sho! We'll close for now! no go! " (Miranda) 

Some time after Miranda, shoo'ed out the customers who were still staying at the place. The place was now emptier than it was before the adventurers started to flock at her canteen. 

She came out of the back holding a plate full of checkered cookies, a cup of milk contained inside of a cute ceramic cup and a glassful of beer for the four of them. 

"Snacks are served" (Miranda) 

she said, Handing out a separate dish2other term for this is, Separate 'Plate'. But since i already said it in the previous sentence, it kind of contradicts with the whole motive of the action so it is at it is. over at Cress and her cup of milk for hers alone. 

"Go on Cress, This one's for yours" (Lin) 

Lin then moved closer to hand out Cress a cookie. as if she was expecting a normal girl to just bite it off her fingers like a chipmunk. She also urged Cress to drink up the Milk after the cookie as she also 'helped' her to eat it. 

not knowing what to do, our oblivious little character dropped the cup of her milk at the floor when handed. at the end, Lin was to be blamed and the bill, well its on hers now to pay. 

*Crack* 

there on the ground was pieces of the cup broken into little bits. 

"Oh my" 

worried Miranda as she held her hands in front of her mouth. 

"Don't worry about it Cress, it's on Lin's tab anyways so just eat okay? " (Miranda)

"Hah, thats what you get for cutting the line" (Chief) 

" Phew~" (Cathy) 

"Hey Cathy!? what was that huhh? " (Lin) 

Cathy rotated her head sideways and avoided eye contact. 

"Hey Lin, Clean up your mess!" (Miranda) 

Miranda then threw a wet towel at Lin who were about cuss at Cathy, right at her face stopping her mouth from going haywire. 

"UGugu" (Lin) 

"there, You should clean your mouth too before it reeks" (Miranda)

Miranda then lifted over a light broom over the counter and swung it on her arms, it was to intimidate Lin who now nodded not just with her head, but her whole body as she nervously looked at the broom that's full of spines. 

(Where did madam Miranda got that...) (Cathy) 

(that's not a broom at all. ) (Chief) 

(that looks scary) (Lin) 

"..." (Cress) 

All the while, Cress was just sat there staring at the spilled milk at the floor. Was it because she thinks it was her fault that the milk was spilled? Who knows, Just that she stood there watching as the milk fanned out through the gaps through the wooden floor vacantly. 

Everyone stopped their yapping as they looked at Cress with a pained expression. 'Was it too much for a child?' they all collectively thought, whilst Cathy on the other hand handed Cress a cookie that Lin failed to do so. 

"Come on now, Don't be sullen. Its not your fault okay? Here, have some cookie" (Cathy) 

A nice save from Cathy. She picked up a cookie or two from the dish given to her separately and inserted it inside Cress's small mouth. and without much force applied, The cookie slipped from Cathy's fingers, Into Cress's lips and straight down into her throat. 3I just noticed it now that i was speaking of Cress as a 'girl', instead of a 'boy'. just so that anyone of you wont get confused like i just did right now. Speaking of Cress outside of Flugel's perspective is instantly seen as a girl, as the story is taking it about. Which means, while he is a 'boy', a genderless entity being classified as a binary, he could also be called the other.

everyone had their jaws opened, as the cookie just slid down her throat easily as drinking water, and without even chewing which perplexed the four adults. 

had something gone wrong, they would be the one to blame for. and so, everyone including the one behind the counter all rushed to check Cress's current status. 

Cathy pressed down her ears on the cress's chest, While Lin prepared a mug of water. the chief on the other hand was examining the cookies if it were hard or not, and Miranda making sure that Cress wasn't experiencing any pains from swallowing a cookie whole. 

"Is it stuck?" 

asked Miranda who had bullets falling down from her forehead. 

"Its.... gone" 

Replied Cathy who retracted her head from Cress's chest, and grabbed her shoulders before looking at Cress's 'sleepy' eyes. A person's state of mind and body can be determined by closely looking at their eyes. If their pupils were to dilate, it means that person is somehow in pain or if their eyes had blood vessels springing up, it means the person is having difficulty on something. 

Which of two symptoms wasn't showing up on Cress. 

"Hello. I heard that Cress is here. " 

now from the entrance came a familiar figure. a man wearing an outdated clothes with a white hair and a round glasses covering his eyes. Flugel who came in tow with the man he was just talking to, visited the inside of the shop. 

"oh there he is. How was your time with the big sisters... and uncle?" 

"Hey" 

replied the chief, clearly dejected and annoyed. on the other hand, Cress immediately fled towards Flugel's warmth as he 4 again, reminding myself and the readers that the pronoun is proportionally related to the viewpoint. in this case, Flugel see's Cress as a male

(everyone is treating Cress as a girl? That's certainly weird 5 No. you are the weird one. because of you i had to suffer making minute changes on the pronouns! lets play along with them then. ) 

Flugel thought. 

looking at the four who had sweat falling down from their heads as if they had showered. 

"Papa?" 

meanwhile, Cress who had hugged Flugel raised up his head from Flugel's shirt and looked at him, relaying the words Flugel hadn't expected for him to hear. 

(Papa!?) 

at that point. all of Flugel's rational thoughts were thrown out of the window as he internally screamed. 6 Kek.

 

 

I fixed the inconsistencies, Tried to cut down the word count and changed most of the background stories. I'm hungry, i wanna eat some squids

0