The Stones of Arcory – Chapter Thirty Six – The Burning Grove
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Missive to the Blue Guardians

Storm Season Second Quarter Third Day of Charm

We now understand that fellow Amberglass is no longer staying in your monastery. We request that you inform us where he was heading and of his intentions. While we understand that you are under no obligation to provide such information, we also understand that cooperation would ensure that relations between the council and your order continue to be harmonious.

 

Councilor Averius Drake

 

The Enchantress Gwynhafer lead me through her groves and through another forest doorway. Beyond it we reached a familiar place, but one that now carried the choking stench of smoke and ash. It was the glade where I had challenged the four witches. But it was not the enchanted place we had stood against each other. My staff hummed in my hand while I looked around the blackened scenery.

“You know what could have done this?” she asked, ashes floating on the breeze smudging her white cheeks.

“One of two entities,” I told her. “Neither of which is easily faced. Where are your sisters? We could certainly use their help in capturing what caused this.”

“This is not their battle, Greyslan,” she told me evenly. “You brought this upon my forest, you must be the one who deals with it.”

“The separation can be cast aside,” I replied, perhaps more testily than I had intended, spread out a hand at the devastation. “Surely something like this would call for at least a temporary alliance.”

“When wizards are battling wizards?!” She shook her head. “I think not. I am only here to ensure you put an end to what you started, however inadvertently.”

But either entity would call on power that I was now deeply reluctant to tap. A Celestial or an elemental of fire would require binding or dissolution of the third pattern. My knuckles were already beginning to ache in response.

“You always had a talent for making enemies of all kinds. But you must have made one of your kind very upset at you.” Gwyn gazed out into the smoke, then back at me. “Is there something about your current relationship with your Council you wish to tell me?”

“As far as I know that several of them would prefer I was ensconced in hermitage,” I told her. “And they might have reason. But to send such a power… that speaks of fear.”

“And who fears you?” she wondered tilting her head to regard me. “As you are now?”

“You know?” I turned a sharp glance at her.

“I spoke with my sister,” she replied. “She freely spoke to me of the events at Shatterstone Pass. And the other times.”

I turned away. Then I saw it, something moving in the smoke, something approaching. A light flickered between the columns of smoking trunks.

“Then you are aware,” I told her angrily. “That I may not be able to extinguish what is now approaching us.”

She smiled that knowing smile again.

“Then you will have to overcome what is troubling your magic,” she told me. “Or you will be consumed by what your enemy sent after you.”

Yes, the enchantress Gwynhafer has many sides to her. Vindictiveness, yes. Unpredictability, yes. A player of games most dangerous, assuredly. And even if I still loved her, all those sides made her an unreliable ally at the best of times.

“There is a river nearby. “ I remembered. “You had best follow me there, unless you want to face that creature of conflagration on your own.”

Would I leaver her to face alone, a creature of the most searing blazes. No, of course I wouldn’t, and I was sure this was part of her test. I grabbed her wrist with my free hand, and pulled her along with me. She came along, smiling all the way.

0