The Stones of Arcory – Chapter Forty Five – A Complicating Arrival
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“From wizardry or from the conjuration of arcane entities that would be required for such a theft?” I noted in a grave tone, leaned over the table and glared at the two men. “What has happened in the west has never happened before. And assuredly, my lords the theft was backed by a more than typically skilled wizard. Neither the council nor its entowered wizards, nor its arbiters can watch over every stone in every march between the Oceans of Morning and Dusk. And our enemy knows that. You yourselves know how little your marches have been allotted by the tenets of balance. And, I assure you, I will only require one stone from each of your territories, and that, only until the culprit is caught. They will be returned long before the eve of the Season of the Hot Sun, that I give my complete assurance.”

“And how can we be assured of that?” the Reidsweither wanted to know in his whispery tone, “Anything could happen beyond the safety of our marches.”

“Because you will send your most trusted men to guard them,” I added in compromise. “I would not think of taking your stones under my guardianship alone. My part in this will be to assure they in turn do not fall under any arcane influence for the duration of our quest. Your men will ensure that no common thief will survive any such attempt.”

This was the best course, regardless. Given what kinds of mystical distortion they were capable of, it was best they remained in the hands of men who had the most limited sensitivity to their powerful dark influences of the stones. And I was certain my current difficulties bending my own power to my will added gravitas to my tone.

And that suggestion helped convince the lords. Such men hold the highest trust in those they know. There was more negotiation required to finalize the agreement, of course. Our route through the four alliance kingdoms was bandied about, as well as other favors to the Marches were needed to tip the balance ultimately in my favor. I of course, would be required to offer the use my own abilities for their personal and lands benefit, but the cost was not as dear as I lead the Margraves to believe. Spells of nurture and repair are time consuming and arduous, but rest primarily of the first and second arcane degrees and would also be difficult for future arbiters to take account of when judging the balance of powers used on their territories. There are some advantages to having help set the rules the council’s regional arbiters follow. At worst, the judgment of council would fall on me. But that was a price I was willing to pay if it meant the restoration of the Bardelaisch’s stones and its verdant hills.

What I didn’t take into account was the speed in which our negotiations were uncovered by the regional council arbiter. Clearly that meant Council’s efforts in locating me had been far more extensive than I would have expected. That level of concern was comforting to a certain extent, I had to admit. It always feels good to be missed. Unfortunately, it also meant that it was possible not all my obligations could be completed before an arbiter arrived. And that would complicate things.

An hour into my third meeting with the Margraves, the Keith (for it had been decided they should be held at his marshland keep) received word that the Arbiter of the High Southlands was at the castle gates and demanding to be admitted into the hall where we were ensconced in our negotiations. I knew if she were to become privy to our agreements she could very well ruin them, not to mention pass on word to the wizard, whether inadvertently or not, who had sent the elemental fire after me. I acted as quickly as I could.

The other two were quickly ushered out of the Keith’s great oak timbered hall only moments before his seneschal burst through the doors. I had barely enough time to provide him an enchantment to harden the lord’s countenance in face of an arbiter’s enchanted perceptions. I hoped it would be enough.

“The Arbiter has entered the keep,” the long haired and youthful seneschal told us.

The Keith nodded, motioned for him to continue.

“We are providing delay, but she will be at these doors in moments,” The man informed us breathlessly, then returned to his duty..

“You know what you need to do,” I told the Margrave. The Keith poured two goblets of amber brew and we waited at his long table.

0