Chapter 17 – Questions and Answers
2.6k 10 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Aleen recovered his sight, he was not in the hall anymore.

Instead, he was transported to a futuristic-looking room. Aleen deduced that It was an office based on the objects he could see in the room.

While he was observing the place, a metallic noise came from behind him. Aleen turned around and saw a beautiful woman entering from an automatic sliding door.

The woman was human, but her clothes were different than the clothes normally found on earth. Though she was wearing a shirt coupled with a skirt, the style of her clothes seemed futuristic and the colors a bit metallic. Aleen could not help but admit that it went well with her dark skin and beautiful grey short hair and eyes.

“Nice to meet you.” The woman said cordially. “My name is Leona, and I been chosen as your temporary representative. Please sit.”

Though surprised, Aleen did as the woman said and sat, ready to ask many things. But before he could, the woman spoke again.

“Do you wish something to drink? We have every kind of drink here. From the ones you can find in your world until some that you probably don’t know that exists.”

“No, thanks.” Aleen said while shaking his head. “I would prefer if you answer some of my questions.”

“Very well.” The woman nodded before sitting in front of Aleen. “Tell me, mister Aleen. What do you wish to know?”

Aleen organized his thoughts briefly before beginning.

“I want to know where am I and why did you bring me here.”

“… I will try to explain briefly your situation, but it will take a bit of time. Do you mind?”

Aleen shook his head slightly. Seeing it, the woman began to speak.

“You currently are in the headquarters of ‘Dimensional Paradise’. Dimensional Paradise is the greatest entertainment company through all the dimensions that are part of the United Dimensional Planes. Your planet, earth, had been recently connected to another dimension; and because of it, added to the list of planets that belong to the UDP.

“As part of the UDP, planet earth must obey certain rules that are written in the United Dimensions Agreement. Between those, there is one specifying that each planet must have at least a level six representative before the UDP; but regrettably, planet earth doesn’t have someone of that level between its inhabitants.

“It automatically activates the third clause of the law 1513 of the United Dimensions Agreement, that among other things, says that earth must offer a total of 1500 random inhabitants to participate every time that the games are held.

“It will continue for ten years or until earth produces a level six. If after ten years planet earth is unable to produce a level six, then, the planet's administration will be assigned to a level six belonging to the UDP.

“Unfortunately, mister Aleen, you were selected this time. It’s the reason because you are here.”

Aleen took a moment to process the words of the woman. He felt mixed emotions while the woman was speaking; astonishment, doubt, rage, and other emotions. But he suppressed they all. He had the feeling that it was going to be impossible to leave this place if he let his emotions to take control.

So, after suppressing the desire to hit the woman for all the deaths the game caused, he asked again.

“… Was my group the first to participate?”

“No. It was the second.”

“… How many have died until now?”

“… 2954 people. To be honest, even we find this number overwhelming. Apparently, the people of your world are not good when it comes to surviving.”

The number was astonishing. The death rate was bigger than any war Aleen knew. Aleen had the desire to shout, to criticize the monster that created such a horrifying game. But he knew that he was impossible. The things that Aleen saw during the last few hours were enough to make clear the power of the organization behind Dimensional Paradise. He knew that he was impossible for him to seek justice. Probably not even someone like D’vina could do something before this situation.

So, the only thing that Aleen could do is to continue asking.

“… What is the purpose of this? Are things the same in other dimensions?”

“Yes. Every dimension that lacks a level six must go through the process that your world is going. Some dimensions go through worse things. As for the purpose of the game? I fear that you are not qualified to know. At least, I’m not authorized to speak about it.”

“I see. Then, what should I do to be qualified?” Aleen asked sarcastically.

“Become stronger. At least level four. I can only say you that, though the game and the rules are not completely noble, their purpose is something necessary to guarantee the wellbeing of all the dimensions.”

Aleen shook his head hearing it. What kind of purpose requires the death of thousands to be accomplished. How can something like that be noble?

The woman made a forced smile when she noticed Aleen thoughts, but she didn’t try to change his mind. He would understand someday if he becomes strong enough.

“... Nobody on earth knows about the game?”

“We sent a message to all the people of planet earth four months ago. Besides it, we contacted every government individually; but apparently, nobody took it seriously.”

“… Now that I think about it, something like that happened. I thought that it was a joke.”

“It was not.” The woman said after hearing Aleen’s words. “Do you have another question?”

“Yes." Aleen nodded after hesitating for a moment. "What it means to be an assistant?”

“Assistant?” The woman asked with a doubtful tone. “How do you know about it? Let me see...”

Touching her wrist, a holographic projection appeared before her. She then proceeded to read it.

Aleen found that technology astonishing, but it was not the most incredible thing he saw today. To be honest, a holographic projection is not surprising anymore after you see superpowers and teleportation.

“I see. It looks that you were assigned to miss D’vina as her assistant. I understand, let me explain.

“Assistants are people level four or below that support level five figures through the games and at the same time receive their protection. As miss D’vina assistant, you must accompany her through all her games. In exchange, she can help you to train and will grant you a certain degree of protection during the games.

“To be honest, I'm surprised that she chose you as her assistant. Few level five have an assistant below level three at least that the person in question is related to them in any way. Your skill is not very special either… Mmm, you are pretty fortunate. Are you going to continue participating in the games?”

“What do you mean?”

“As you already participated in a game, it’s unnecessary to participate again. But you are a level two, so you can continue participating if you wish so.”

Aleen put an expression of astonishment, but it morphed quickly in a burst of enraged laughter.

“Hahahaha, continue participating? Of course not! I don’t want to return to this place again!”

“… Are you sure?” The woman asked with a mysterious expression. “As I said before, the future of your world is at risk if nobody breaks through level six in ten years; and the easiest method to advance in levels is inside the game.”

Aleen hesitated slightly but shook his head immediately after. Save the world? What a joke. He has more important things to worry about.

“Is it all? If not, I want to go back home.”

“Mmm, give me a moment…” The woman said while reading the information in the hologram. “You have a sister, right? Don’t you want to cure her illness? You can do it if you continue in the game you know?”

“You…”

Immediately, Aleen expression changed. Then, with a furious gaze, he spoke to the woman.

“You know something. Tell me! What do you know about my sister!?”

“Calm down, mister Aleen. I only know that she is sick and that your world’s medicine is unable to find a cure. Are you not interested in curing her?”

Aleen looked towards the woman furiously, but she did not change her expression in the slightest. Then, after a moment, he sighed.

“Tell me. What I have to do?”

“Though your sister’s illness is rare, it’s nothing strange before the knowledge of thousands of civilizations. There is an adequate treatment, but it’s very expensive. Of course, you can get the money participating in the game.”

“Do you mean the coins that I got? Are they valuable? How much I need?”

The woman nodded slightly. “They are more valuable than you think, you will understand soon. As for the price, you need at least nine thousand UDP coins for the preliminary treatment.”

Aleen made a smile of resignation when he heard it. He only got 71 coins after almost dying three times. Now he has to get more than ten times that amount?

Smiling wryly, Aleen shook his head and spoke resignedly.

“I agree, where I have to sign?”

Ten minutes later, Aleen was before a kind of interdimensional portal. According to the woman, Leona, going through this portal will take him back home. Aleen hesitated for a moment, but in the end, he walked forward.

A sensation of vertigo invaded his body immediately after. Aleen felt as if tens of waves were hitting his body at the same time, but the sensation disappeared quickly. A few minutes later, Aleen fell down from the portal.

Dizzy because of the travel, Aleen tried to stand up. But before he could, someone spoke.

“Who is there!?”

From the direction of the voice, a beautiful girl appeared. She was not very tall, around 1.7 meters, with black hair and a sickly appearance. Her eyes were beautiful and strangely reddish, adding to her beauty. Aleen recognized her immediately.

“Brother? Is it you?”

Immediately after, the girl ran and jumped towards Aleen’ arms.

“Brother! Where did you go!? I was worried about you! *Sob* Brother!”

“Calm down, Claire. Everything is fine. Calm down.”

Hugging his crying sister, Aleen smiled slightly. Finally, he was back.

For a moment, Aleen hoped that everything was a nightmare.

But in the end, he knew that it was real.

And eventually, he must return to the game.

30