Chapter 21 – Back to Home (2)
2.3k 6 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The pair of siblings finally calmed after a few minutes. Claire blushed slightly after her emotions calmed down, but at the end, she continued hugging Aleen.

Such level of skinship was common between them. And though she was slightly embarrassed, she endured the embarrassment happily.

But after a time, she put a worried expression once more.

“Brother, that game, do you have to go again?”

Aleen hesitated slightly before answering with a nod.

“Unfortunately, I have. I must satisfy certain requirements if I want to leave.”

“I see.” Claire made a doubtful expression before nodding with a concerned expression. It was obvious that she was worried about Aleen wellbeing.

“Then, when is the next game?”

“I don’t know the exact date, but it’s around ten days later. I was told that I will receive a message two days before the game begins.”

Seeing Claire’s distressed expression, Aleen smiled slightly before comforting her.

“Don’t worry so much, I will be fine. After all, I have to look after you. Besides, not everything is bad. I was told that it’s possible to receive rewards after every game. Did you see the sword I brought? I got it as my reward for winning this time. I even was told that it’s possible to get a cure for your sickness! Can you believe it!? We finally can cure your sickness.”

Aleen stroked Claire and continued speaking excitedly. But when she heard it, the expression of Claire changed immediately.

Her expression changed to one of wrath and pain; but before Aleen could notice something wrong, she calmed down.

“… Brother, you are probably hungry, right? I will prepare something to eat.”

Aleen nodded slightly, curious from Claire’s lack of reaction to the news that she could be cured.

Claire stood up and walked towards the kitchen; but before leaving the living room, she stopped.

Without looking back, Claire asked hesitantly.

“Brother, do you truly have to go to that place again?”

“I told you, I will be fine.” Aleen smiled slightly.

“That was not my question, brother!” Said Claire before asking again, this time more certain of her conjecture. “Are you truly forced to participate in that game again!?”

For a moment, Aleen was unable to answer.

But finally, he nodded with a serious expression.

Seeing it, Claire made a depressed face before leaving the living room.

But before leaving, the last sentence she said reached to Aleen’s ears.

“Do you know, brother? You are a terrible liar.”

Once outside the living room, a tear left Claire’s eyes.

She had been beside Aleen all her life. Because of it, she knew him completely, at the point that sometimes she was able to notice when he was lying.

When Aleen said that he was obliged to go back to the game, she noticed something strange, but she ignored it at the moment.

But when he spoke about curing her sickness, she immediately understood.

Her brother, surely, chose voluntarily to continue in the game.

And the reason was surely her.

‘Brother, you…’

Tightening her fists, Claire continued crying silently while walking to the kitchen. She knew that it was better if Aleen doesn't see her tears.

She knew, no matter what she says, he was not going to change his choice.

Because that was the Aleen that she knew.

So, if she cannot change his choice, then at least, she must smile before him.

She definitively cannot let his brother see her tears.

Seeing the back of his sister leaving, Aleen made a troubled expression before sighing deeply.

‘As expected of Claire, I was unable to fool her…’

Making a wry smile, Aleen remembered that his sister was always sharp in situations like this. Yes, she was always smart.

‘But her illness…’

Unfortunately, Claire was afflicted with a strange disease from childhood.

This disease was unknown before her. After visiting many doctors their parents were unable to find a treatment. At most, she received medication to reduce the illness’ symptoms.

The behavior of this illness is very strange, and only manifest from time in time, but its symptoms are very dangerous.

When it attacks, Claire’s body temperature increases crazily until dangerous levels, forcing her to receive treatment immediately. Sometimes, she had to be hospitalized

According to the doctors, it’s impossible to cure and the most they can do is help Claire to live her life as normal as possible; but even with it, it will be hard for her to live beyond thirty.

‘Sudden Fever’.

It was the name given for the doctors.

Though Claire behaves like a normal girl normally, the frequency of her symptoms has increased lately. Aleen fears that before long, she will be forced to stay in a bed permanently.

That was the reason because he decided to continue in the game.

Claire is Aleen’s only family.

And if there is a method to save her, Aleen will do it. Even if there is a possibility of dying in the attempt.

25