Chapter 6
586 0 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At night, Bai Xing changed his clothes and set out early. He waited near the back gate until the red dot appeared inside the castle's directory before heading to Cinderella's house.

He has just stepped out of the gate when a familiar voice greeted him.

"Good evening, White."

Bai Xing froze up and turned his head to the source of the voice in apprehension. Leaning on the gate wall, was the man he was trying to avoid. Just like him, he was still wearing his mask although he wasn't attending the ball.

"If you try running away again, I will do more than just a kiss. Maybe something that will make you too sore to walk the next morning?" the man smiled ambiguously.

Bai Xing flushed red and immediately dug his foot to the ground. The man approached him and pulled down his hood.

"What did you just imagine in your head, hm? Why don't you run and see if I guess it right?" the man circled the hickey on Bai Xing's neck with his thumb.

Bai Xing nervously shook his head.

"Good boy," the man played with Bai Xing's bangs, "You see, I cannot let you destroy that tree just yet."

Bai Xing, "?"

Yet?

"That is why I am holding you captive for tonight, Little Rabbit," the man intertwined their fingers, "Though I will certainly welcome your visit any night."

"…"

I don't even know your name, pervert…

The man pulled him back inside by the hand, "Come, let us enjoy the ball as we should."

Although the man said that, instead of going to the ballroom, he brought Bai Xing to an empty hall. The chandelier wasn't lit. Only the moonlight illuminated a vague outline of the room and both of their figure.

They stood at the center of the hall. The man gracefully bowed as he offered his hand, "May I have this dance with you, My Lady?"

"…"

Can he refuse?

The man held Bai Xing's hand, "I will take that as a silent agreement."

When Bai Xing's waist was pulled closer, as if on command, the sound of piano started playing. Before Bai Xing could check where the piano sound came from, the man started moving to the music.

Bai Xing has never danced in his life and could only clumsily let the man drag him. Moreover, he almost couldn't see anything and kept stepping on the man's foot. But the man didn't seem to mind at all. More like, he was enjoying it.

They twirled and the moonlight fell onto the man's face. Bai Xing saw him smiling.

"No need to think about anything. Just focus on me and follow my lead. Left foot forward, right foot forward. Now to the right. That's it. Take one step back…"

Bai Xing awkwardly followed the man's instruction but gradually got used to it. By the time he realized the man wasn't instructing him anymore, his dance was already smooth enough to not step on the man's shoes.

"Good boy. You are a fast learner." The man praised him.

Bai Xing lowered his face, feeling flustered by the sudden praise. The last he ever heard genuine praise was when he was a child. He didn't know how to react.

He was thankful that the room was dark or else the man would definitely tease him again right now.

"As a reward, I will answer one question."

Bai Xing looked up in askance.

"You must have a ton of questions in your head about me, no? I will answer one of them if you ask it to me out loud."

Bai Xing actually didn't have many questions in his head. Indeed, he was curious, but the man was too mysterious that he didn't know what to be curious about exactly.

With how the man didn't try to kill him and from his words earlier, he was sure enough that the man wasn't a part of the virus and that was all that matters.

If he should ask one thing…

"Y-Your name…" Bai Xing muttered.

"I certainly did not expect that out of all the possible questions you could ask," The man laughed, "But because you did not tell me your real name, it is only fair if I also give you an alias."

Bai Xing looked away in embarrassment. So the man knew.

"Well then, since you are White, I shall be called Grey. Because, what is a grey without a white?"

Bai Xing was left speechless by Grey's naming reason. Well, he didn't really talk much to begin with, so who could tell?

They have danced for who knows how long and Bai Xing has just thought that his legs felt slightly sore when Grey stopped. The music also ended along with him.

"I will escort you to your room. Tomorrow will be a long day."

Without letting go of his hold on Bai Xing's hand, Grey took him back to his room as he said. Strangely, they managed to not encounter anyone on their way with Grey's lead.

Their hands finally separated once Bai Xing entered his room.

"Do not attempt to hop away, Little Rabbit. My words still hold true until dawn breaks," Grey gave Bai Xing a soft kiss on his cheek, "Sweet dreams, my dear White."

Bai Xing touched his cheek in a daze as the door closed.

When he woke up the next morning, he blankly stared at his ceiling.

Last night…felt like a dream.

Did that really happen?

Did he really dance the night away like those in fairytales and got a good night kiss?

With another man? From another man?

Even when Bai Xing left to go to the servants' morning assembly, he was still in a dazed state of disbelief. In a result, he bumped into someone.

He stepped back and saw it was the king.

He bowed in a fluster, "I–"

"Ah, it is you," The king spoke before Bai Xing could apologize, "Just the right time. Come, you shall accompany me for the day."

Bai Xing hesitantly raised his head, "…?"

"I have ordered my royal guard to do a task. I am used to having someone by my side, hence I want you to be my company until my royal guard returns." The king walked forward.

Bai Xing hurriedly caught up to him, following a step behind.

"My son has successfully retrieved the maiden's slipper. He is now setting forth to search for her whereabouts. We are coming along with him."

Bai Xing looked at the glaring sun, "…"

In this weather?

At the palace's front yard, the prince's convoy was all set and ready to go. The prince was sitting on his horse, talking to his butler. But the butler was different than the one Bai Xing saw yesterday.

Does the prince have different butlers for different occasions?

Seeing Bai Xing's curiosity, the king spoke, "The royal butler serving my son was met with an unfortunate accident. That servant is just his replacement while he is in recuperation."

The king entered a white and gold carriage with the kingdom's flag swaying at the rear. It was pulled by 4 beautiful white horses and the coachman's garments matched with the carriage's color.

Whoever saw this carriage pass by would definitely know it was a royal carriage.

Bai Xing stood outside not knowing what to do. Should he ask for a horse? The servants coming with the convoy were him, the prince's butler, the slipper carriers, and a group of servants in the logistic cart. The rests were knights and soldiers.

The slipper carriers weren't riding a horse for the safety of the slipper. He didn't really want to walk in this weather, but he couldn't ride a royal carriage without any status, right?

"You are lost in your thought again."

Without Bai Xing realizing, the king has climbed down the carriage and stood in front of him again. He was pulled into the carriage by his hand.

"Come. We are ready to leave."

Bai Xing could instantly feel everybody's eyes were staring at him. His back turned cold from anxiousness and discomfort. But then, the carriage door closed after both of them entered, shutting away the stares. The king also drew the curtain closed.

Once he was in a closed space, Bai Xing slightly relaxed. Though being alone with the king gave him a different kind of nervousness, it was still better than earlier.

The carriage started moving soon after.

"Are you not comfortable when being surrounded by people?" the king asked.

Bai Xing was silent for a while before nodding a little.

The king smiled, "Do not worry. We will stay inside until my son finds his bride. Until then, you only need to be my listener and company."

Bai Xing nodded again, inwardly grateful for the king's understanding.

"May I know your name?"

"…W-White." Bai Xing decided to use his alias since it was easier to remember and match the setting.

Satisfaction flickered in the king's eyes, "I see."

26