Chapter 8
591 1 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The axe slipped off of Bai Xing's hands and flew into the trunk. It cut off 2 branches coming to attack him and finally struck the tree.

After the thunk, a powerful force burst forth and cut the tree from end to end. It didn't stop there however. The metal fence wasn't spared and several trees in the woods also got split in half.

Once it has done its job, the axe glowed and vanished. Bai Xing stepped back as the cursed tree fell. He could hear the virus's curling cry of rage and pain from inside.

Suddenly, a vile putrid stench invaded his nose. The odor was too strong that it made Bai Xing dizzy. He covered his nose and mouth, but without any proper masking, he inevitably still breathed the stench in.

Not only him, everybody else in the vicinity could also smell it. They covered their nose and mouth. Some teared up and some even retched.

The royal guard noticed there was something wrong with Cinderella's state. She looked like she was in a tremendous amount of pain, writhing as she clawed her chest. Her breathing was heavy and irregular while screeching in an unsightly manner.

The prince watched in horror as the royal guard swung his sword and mercilessly decapitated the woman of his dream.

But what horrified him even more was the black blood oozing from Cinderella's headless neck as her body lay limply on the floor. Her face that was once fair and beautiful quickly degenerated, drying into a mummy. Her golden hair turned ash white, and her blue eyes turned black all the way to their whites.

The prince slumped to his knees in despair.

She really was a witch…

The king looked towards the backyard where the stench was coming from. Not seeing Bai Xing, he went to see what was wrong.

When he saw what it was that caused the stench, he frowned. He immediately reached out and covered Bai Xing's vision. Pulling Bai Xing away from the root of the tree, he held Bai Xing's head down to his shoulder.

He could see Bai Xing's trembling shoulder as the man clutched his chest. The king soothingly rubbed his back.

"It is alright. I am here. Breathe through my clothes. Focus your senses on me."

Once the tree has fallen, the black goo mounding beneath it melted away, revealing what was hidden in it. It was the 4 characters Bai Xing realized were missing.

Dead bodies of 3 women and 1 man were inhumanely piled there. Their limbs were deformed with decomposed skins, entangling with one another. Some skin has fallen off, revealing their bones. Some parts still have the last of their meat and muscles attached, and the rest of their remaining skin was gray and green. They were deprived of their clothes, revealing their body as a whole with their black decomposed organ spilling out from their stomach. Their eyes and mouths were wide open, showing how gruesome their deaths have must been and how desperate their screams of help were.

The royal guard approached them, "Your Majesty, it is done."

The king nodded. He guided Bai Xing inside, "Let us leave. Burn this accursed house down."

"As you wish, Your Majesty." The royal guard bowed.

Bai Xing let the king lead him back to the carriage as he focused himself on holding down his vomit. He was 100% certain he wouldn't be able to eat later if he emptied his stomach now.

They entered the carriage, but the king didn't let him go. Instead, he took the chance to place Bai Xing on his lap and let him lean back to his body. He took Bai Xing's hand and massaged his wrist.

"It is fine if you want to vomit."

Bai Xing weakly shook his head. Realizing their current position, he tried to move to the other seat, but the king held him.

"I am helping you relieve your nausea. Be obedient." The king gestured at Bai Xing's wrist he was massaging.

"…"

Bai Xing resignedly let the king hold him. There was a moment of silence before Bai Xing opened his mouth and hesitantly called out.

"…Grey?"

"Yes?" Grey smiled as he answered.

"B-But how…?"

"Wigs exist in this world, my dear White," Grey chuckled, "Though I didn't expect it will take you this long to realize."

Bai Xing lowered his head. He never once thought Grey was the king in disguise. How could he have guessed it with their different hair color and character? Grey's face was also hidden every time they met. Only their voice sounded the same.

Was he the strange one to not have realized?

Grey snuggled his head on Bai Xing's shoulder, "I will give you 2 rewards since you have finally guessed who I am and successfully accomplished your task. Let's hear your questions."

This time, Bai Xing knew what he wanted to ask, "Who…What…are you? W-Why do the tree could only be cut earlier?"

"You need to do your best to not let it notice that someone is coming after it until. As for who I am…" Grey stared at their connected hands in thought, "I've forgotten a long time ago."

"…?"

"But I do know that you tremble my heart and attract my soul greatly," Grey lifted Bai Xing's hand and swept his lips onto his fingers, "So, I will latch on to you with my entire being until I find the answer to our question."

Bai Xing processed Grey's words and flushed.

What did Grey mean by that?? Did he just got confessed to? Impossible, right? Besides, they have just met 2 days ago.

No, no, no, Grey didn't mean anything deep by that. It was just the way he talks and acts. He probably just wanted to find out his identity. Because Grey inexplicably have a psychological reaction towards him, he was the only lead to it.

Yes, that's right. That must be it.

It's impossible for anyone to like him.

Grey narrowed his eyes and bit Bai Xing's ear, "Focus on me, White."

Bai Xing's breath hitched. Grey's hand which was holding his waist slowly slithered up, brushing his abdomen with each fingertip. Bai Xing held it down with his free hand to stop it.

Grey flipped his hand and hold Bai Xing's instead, "When you're lost or in doubt, I want you to focus on me instead. I will make sure to achieve that position in your heart and mind."

"…"

Bai Xing looked at his hand, enveloped by Grey's.

It was warm.

The carriage arrived back at the palace just in time for dinner. The prince was still at Cinderella's house, watching it being engulfed by the flames, so Grey and Bai Xing were by themselves in the dining hall. The other servants were sent away by Grey.

"Sit down, White. I'm not actually king, and you're not my servant. Let's eat together." Grey pulled the chair for Bai Xing.

Bai Xing hesitantly sat down. There was only one portion of food at the table. Not that he wanted to eat with what he has just witnessed not long ago.

Grey sat down on his own seat and gave the appetizer to Bai Xing, "You didn't eat lunch, so you must eat something now."

Bai Xing shook his head a little. His nausea has been alleviated thanks to Grey, but he still couldn't get himself to put something into his mouth. The odor of the decay lingering in his senses really made it hard for him to swallow anything.

"I certainly will enjoy feeding you," Grey added with a smile, "Mouth to mouth that is."

"…"

Bai Xing silently picked up the spoon.

In the end, rather than eating together, it was just Grey watching Bai Xing eating. It required three 'threats' from him to make Bai Xing finish his meal.

Bai Xing couldn't understand what kind of satisfaction Grey got from this.

But for the dessert, he stubbornly gave it to Grey. Grey finally took it.

"You don't like sweets?" Grey took a bite.

"Chocolate…allergy…" Bai Xing answered in a small voice.

He then felt his phone vibrate in his vest pocket. His fingers fidgeted. The only thing that could cause vibration from his phone was a message notification from M.

He glanced at Grey whose eyes have never left him.

"Is there something you want to say?" Grey smiled.

Bai Xing opened his mouth and closed it and opened it again.

Should he just say he wanted to go to the bathroom? Or is it okay for Grey to see his phone?

Before he could decide, glowing blue cube particles appeared in their vision. Looking down at their source, his legs were disappearing from bottom to top. Reaching his waist, his upper body would also soon disappear.

"What a pity…You are leaving too soon," Grey touched Bai Xing's face who was disappearing, "Do not worry, I will find you."

31