Chapter 3: Crisis of faith
124 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Alpha team, this is Bravo team. We're in position." 

The words coming from her headset sent her blood racing through her veins. Her heart pumped a mile a minute. Her breathing came in fast every time, just before a breach. She sent a quick prayer to the lord of light, his queen the lady of grace, and their son the Prince of peace. Then she broke the door down and rushed into the room, sword drawn and shield up. Four Demons were seated in the living room. Two men, a woman, and a child. 

The men jumped to their feet and charged me and my team. The bigger of the two men morphed into his true form a big hulking humanoid shape with thick bone plating. He rammed into her shield forcing her to slide back across the floor. 

"Get Mani and Shilo out of here." The bigger demon bellowed to the smaller one. The smaller one nodded and ushered the woman and child out of the room. 

There was no escape for them. Bravo team was around back and waiting for them. They weren't going to getaway. 

"Darci form up!" Her captain ordered. Darci Pendragon was a Templar of the Trinity. It was her sworn duty to slay these unholy beasts. Form up,  was code for holding the demon in place while they surround it. Leviathan demons were big and armored. They had to be taken down in a coordinated manner of they'd escape. Darci dropped her shield and whipped out her silver chain. Silver wasn't poisonous to demons like it was to vampires and werewolves but it could incapacitate them and weaken them. Wish practiced precision one end of the chain wrapped around the Leviathan's neck holding him in place while the other four members of her team surrounded him. 

Despite the silver, the Leviathan's strength was impressive. He tried to yank the chain from her hands. It took all her strength just to hold him in place. Thankfully her team was quick in their execution. Two of them plunged their silver swords into his legs dropping him to his knees. One ran her sword through his heart and her captain cut off his head for good measure. The end of her chain about his neck fell to the floor and Darci quickly wrapped the chain up and hung it on her belt. 

"Bravo team this is Alpha team we've slain our target. What's your status?" Darci's captain asked over his headset. 

"This is Bravo team. We've sustained heavy losses. Two of the targets have fled into the woods and the third is a reaper demon, We require assistance." 

"Fuck." The captain cursed. "Darci you go after the two in the woods we'll handle the reaper." 

She nodded her head and ran out the front and circled the house running into the woods. She briefly saw the demon fighting with the two remaining members of Bravo team. Reaper demons looked just like their name suggested. In their true forms, they were pale and wielded bone scythes that could cut through almost any material making them very deadly foes. 

She wanted to help them but her orders were clear, to go after the two in the woods. It didn't take her long to find them. The female demon was fast but she was panicked and kept looking over her shoulder. She must have been holding out hope that her mates or whatever they were to here would survive and catch up with her. No such luck. Darci whipped ou her chain again wrapping one end around the demon's legs. She cried out as she fell and desperately tried to free herself. 

The demon's offspring was a small blonde girl with violet eyes. Both were beautiful and that's what made them deadly. "Run Shilo!" The demon told her offspring. The little girl did as her mother said. An obedient child. But there was no chance of escape tonight. Darci drew a silver dagged from her belt and threw it. The blade soared through the air and impaled the child through her little heart. She collapsed to the ground and was still. 

Its mother cried and wailed the sounds of grief and torment causing Darci's heart to squeeze in sympathy. She shouldn't feel bad for a creature of sin but she did. She drew her sword and plunged it into the demon's chest cutting off her cries. The demon's vacant eyes stared at her in recrimination. Darci suddenly felt very dirty. She sheathed her sword and collected her dagger before running away from the corpses of the demons. When she exited the woods she found that her team had already killed the reaper demon. The medics were already carrying the wounded away. Darci rejoined her team and still felt uneasy. 

Back at the temple of heavenly grace, she sat in the confessional waiting for the priest. She didn't know if she was nervous or relieved when the priest took his place on the other side of the screen. 

"Bless me master for my heart is burdened." 

"And what burdens your heart?" 

"Today my team slew a small nest of demons." 

"Why does this burden your heart?" 

Darci took in a deep breath and released it. "Because two of the demons were a young mother and her offspring. I slew them both. She told the offspring to run and I slew the offspring. The wails of the mother's grief at the loss of her young burden my heart." 

"You have been blessed with the Lord of lights holy mercy. It's a light that shines within you letting you feel empathy for the demonic Sinners. But the demons and their ilk cannot be saved. Unburden your heart for you have brought them salvation in their deaths." 

"Yes, master. Thank you, master." 

"Say three prayers before you go to bed and you will feel better. May the Lord of Light be with you."

"May the Lord of Light be with you." She repeated then left the confessional. 

She returned to her quarters in the temple and said the three prayers as instructed but the memory of the screams of the demon and the memory of the offspring's body lying on the ground her dagger sticking out of her back. Her sleep was full of nightmares her heart heavy. She found no peace that night. A deep dread filled her soul when the certainty that she would never know peace again. 

1