Slow 5
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lilah looked between the standoff. She wanted to leave, but this was something beyond her imagination. Karen Blackwell was not only down at the jail, but she was petitioning for an 'imp's' release. Lander was no imp, though, just a Newbreed.

Considering the Blackwell's stance on Newbreeds, and all that pertained to them, this was unexpected.

The enforcer made the call and said, "Chief. Karen Blackwell's down here."

"Yeah. I got the message," Escott's father said. "Let him out. If it's bogus we'll pick him up later."

With this show of power, one would think Mrs. Blackwell would stick around longer to see her demands met. She didn't. Instead, she turned on her heels and walked out.

Ten minutes later, Lilah found herself avoiding eye contact with the miserable being that was Lander. As she unpacked his clothes for him, she asked herself why she was here doing this.

The answer was simple—it was better than being alone with her thoughts. Escott would be waiting at her house doorway no doubt and it was getting harder and harder to find an excuse to go home alone.

A silver coin was the last of Landers things, and Lilah put it down. He reached for it so quickly that their hands met. Both pulled away.

He said nothing.

Lilah counted seven silver rings which he put back on their perches. Two went into each ear respectively. One more hooped through his nose. The other four, she was unsure of, and hoped to keep a mystery as she signed him out.

"How much did my father pay to get me out?" Lander asked, sounding meek and helpless.

It wasn't his father. It was Karen Blackwell's doing and with the amount of hate she spews at her Death to Imps and Their Devil Seed rallies, none of this was adding up.

Still, it wasn't Lilah's business.

Lander got his things and walked away before Lilah could muster up an answer. He didn't have his sketchbook that his father'd brought. Sure enough, she found it in his cell under the bed.

As she brought it back to the lost and found, she thumbed through it. The pictures there made her pause in her stride. They were amazing. Two of them were of Escott.

The following pages after that took on a less than savory theme. Eviscerated bodies mounted on walls, to one winged angels bleeding into mugs.

Drawings like these should be in a gallery.

When Lilah passed the Lost Items box, however, she dropped it in without looking back.

No sense in staying here, so she started the daunting task of going home. The eerie silence that followed her from the jail cells right to the main doors was painful to endure.

Two days later, the day of the funeral, Lilah scanned the crowd for that familiar short blue hair.

He didn't come. Gus-Gus was a wonder. That burial brought peace to him, but Lilah couldn't shake it. Their father hadn't come.

"Dad was too in love," Gus explained. "He's gonna need a while."

Lilah tried to imagine that. She stayed long after friends and family filled in the fresh grave, and politely walked away. Gus was the last to leave.

Escott lingered—the dutiful fiancé.

"You hungry?" he asked.

Lilah's gut roiled. "Can I be honest?" At the silence, she looked him in the eye. "Can I just be alone here for a while?"

Those words hurt him, but she couldn't change that.

"If you wanna talk—"

"I wanna work. I don't want to bring this with me everywhere I go. So give us a minute, yeah?"

"Lilah," he said to her, finally, "what are you doing? Huh? We don't gotta talk. Just let me stand beside you for more than a minute."

Lilah shook her head. "I'm not gonna break down if that's what you're waiting for. I just need a minute to collect my thoughts. And I'm reporting in, so if you want to keep me company, keep me company there."

An explosion rocked the ground. It didn't take long to pinpoint it in the center of the city. Escott came in a nice suit, but Lilah wore her best uniform, her badge on her shoulder.

It blinked. "Explosion at headquarters. Enforcers, report for duty."

Escott regarded the badge with dread but eventually glanced back at their HQ again.

"They'll need the help," Lilah insisted. "Newbreeds can walk through that fire. Go on and prove yourself. That's what it's all about. And I need a minute alone."

He stared at her, debating what to do. In time, he turned and made his way out of the cemetery. Eventually he broke into a run and fell on his hands and feet.

Lilah watched the flames. They fit just right. It took nearly an hour for that fire to quell. When it did, she finally left the cemetery, taking the long way home. By the time she dismounted the bike and cut the engine, she confirmed someone had followed her—and not very well.

She left the front door open, made her way up the steps—turning on each light as she went, grabbed a metal bat from its perch by the second-floor door, and made her way back down again.

And she waited.

Bat at the ready, she stood at the doorway, pulse racing. She wasn't sure who it was. Maybe Essy doubled back to check on her—that was just like him. And then another thought occurred. Maybe her father.

Despite that possibility, she didn't put the bat down—in fact, she gripped it tighter.

The door eased open twenty minutes later. She swung.

It stopped inches from the bastard's nose—he caught it.

Lilah wasn't sure who she was looking at until he stepped into the foyer.

"Lilah?" the badge flashed. "Lilah?"

Escott's voice held a note of panic.

Still with her eyes on Lander, Lilah held the badge and whispered into it. "I'm here."

"Don't come into the office. We're under quarantine. Stay away. Did you hear me?"

Lilah gripped the badge tighter. "Quarantine?"

"Every single Newbreed's infected. Normal human Yules are fine, but we're not sure about Elementals. Just keep away. Confirm so I know you're okay."

Lilah focused on Lander again, a pit in her stomach as she said, "Confirmed."

Her grip on the badge tightened until her hand ached. She wasn't sure what to do or say and for the first time since she started working as an enforcer three years ago, she took the badge off.

Lander held her hand and took it. "Let me get you something to drink."

"Essy...." She tried to step out the door, but he blocked her path. "Move."

Another attempt met with resistance. Lander grabbed her arm, holding her back.

"Lilah. It's a quarantine. This isn't the state of mind you should be in." Their eyes met and he said, "Dial it back. That feeling like you want to just explode. You have to dial it back. This isn't the time to self-destruct."

The condescending helpful pats on the head were getting just a bit annoying now. She yanked her hand away.

"I have to check on Essy."

"Without a badge?" Lander's gaze held a challenge.

It was true. She hadn't tried to take the badge back and she couldn't say why.

"If that thing affects Newbreeds, it'll affect Elementals. Calm down and let it run through their system. Whatever it is, they'll find a solution. We don't catch colds and diseases like everybody else."

"Elementals aren't supposed to, either. Tell that to the body we put into the ground this morning."

Lander fell silent. He let her go when she shoved him aside. Going to headquarters was stupid. That's where Lilah headed on her bike full speed.

An old hover wagon, carrying no less than four people—two past the recommended limit—nearly collided into her. Apparently, it was going the same way. She picked up speed and left them in the dust.

Lilah dismounted the bike while it was still in motion and it slid to a halt on its own. Most of the building burned. All around her was chaos, but she'd come for a fight.

That idea held little weight when she spied the pregnant enforcer on the ground beside a body under a white sheet. A weakly-looking Newbreed bawled beside the corpse while the enforcer struggled to stand.

She counted two more white sheets.

"The Newbreed committee had a gathering today to discuss one of their own being arrested. Nobody saw this attack coming," someone said.

Another one said, "Only lost one committee member, but it's rough. All the Newbreed committee is run by the Newbreed mothers."

Lilah stared on at the smoke and crying and anger swelled up inside her. To top it off, the building—what was left of it, stood under quarantine.

A hand came to rest on her shoulder, and she flinched.

Lander. He'd followed. The speed surprised her. Imps could keep up with a bike, but not Newbreeds. Him reaching so quickly spoke volumes of his own fear and panic. Despite that, his hand felt steady when he squeezed her shoulder. "Keep it together."

He didn't seem better off. Lander had mommy issues, but how could he not? Newbreed mothers were feared, not for the deadly children they raised, but for their devotion. All except Lander's who'd never claimed him.

While many took care of the pregnant enforcer, Lander only stared at the dead woman and her crying son.

In time, Lilah reached up and held his hand in place. A quarantine. From what she could gather from the yelling: several bombs went off but only one had some kind of powder.

Quarantine. A quarantine.

She blinked herself awake at the sight of the group of men rushing to an unaffected area of the building. Lilah stepped out into the street to get a better view. It was hard to miss such a pale body in a white dress, scaling the walls.

"Lander...."

"I see it," Lander said. "Let it go. You're not in a good place."

"Your cargo is about to run off," Lilah said. "The difference between you getting a slap on the wrist or a full-blown conviction."

Lander shook his head. "This assignment was my low point. Leave it."

She might have taken his advice if somebody didn't leap from the top window and land on the wall.

Someone screamed, "Escott. It's a fucking quarantine."

That wobbly wagon of men came to a stop beside the others gathered by the building. One of the men from the streets backed up and fired a canon, catching Escott in the head.

Escott fell like a rag doll.

Even Lander gasped. "Essy...."

"Essy!" The Chief stuck his head out the window then darted back in.

Lilah willed herself to move. She couldn't. Lander tried to rush to Escott's aid, but Lilah grabbed him by the shirt.

"Don't." Her breaths came shallower as she whispered, "Don't. Please don't. I can't bury anybody else. Please don't."

She gripped Lander's shirt for dear life, even when Escott shifted and groaned in pain.

The gang broke into a run, pale figure and all.

Escott rose to his feet.

Lander sighed with relief. "He's alive. He's hurt. He'll need the help."

The Chief busted out of the main doors in time to see Escott fall on his hands and feet and rush the boarder of the quarantine. Escott leapt high enough, but a bolt of energy caught him, electrocuting him until he stopped resisting.

High above, hover bikes descended, as did the man who shot Escott with the stunner, Harris, the mayor.

"Get Essy back inside. Evacuate the block until we can assess this," Harris barked.

An enforcer rose high on a hover bike, speakers blasting. "All Elementals, stand clear. All Elementals stand clear."

"That means you," Lander reminded her.

One hour later, Lilah found herself watching what was left of the enforcer HQ smolder from the highest hill in their domain—the one separating them from the farm.

Lander sat with her, legs ajar, elbows on his knees.

A small radio rested before them. They listened, waiting for a report to come through, either from the public news or a private channel.

Nothing.

The wind picked up but neither of them had anything to say. Lilah appreciated that Lander kept his mouth shut. As of now it wasn't clear whether the gang had caused the explosion to regain their cargo, or it was something else. If it was the gang, that meant whatever happened to Essy was Lander's fault.

It was Lilah's fault, too, because if she'd gone home with him like he'd offered....

"I didn't know what I was transporting," Lander said at length. "It could have been weapons; it could have been body parts. I didn't care and I didn't care to know. I just did it."

Lilah watched the radio. "Should I even ask if you were the one who brought it from underground?"

It had to be an Elemental, an imp, or a Newbreed to manage that journey.

"I hope the pay was good at least," she scoffed.

Lander confessed, "I don't get paid. I don't do it for payment. Just...wanted people to talk to."

That was Lander's own fault. Seven years ago, Karen Blackwell made the news for taking in two Newbreed orphans who she promptly renamed Rosemarie and Princess. She didn't treat them all that nicely until it became clear what most already suspected, female Newbreeds had so little power that they appeared human. Their skin was tough like male Newbreeds, but that was about it. After that, it was one ridiculous outfit after another as if those children were no more than pets, going so far as to give them collars around their necks.

But Lander....

That was a different story.

Lilah heard most of the details in passing but remembered it was the only time Tine, Lander's father, ever took up a cause. He set out to adopt the two girls instead. The character assassination in a testimony by Lander washed all that away.

Tine never defended himself, and although an Elemental ultimately proved the devastating testimony false, it was hard for people to shake. Karen Blackwell retained her rights to adoption. She was nicer to her girls after that at least. Lilah could almost remember the transformation. Within days the collars were gone as were most of the stupid frocks. They still weren't allowed to attend schools, but Karen allowed them to join the local orchestra.

That was the last time Rosemarie and Princess's appearance were an issue. The oldest was fifteen now, the second one about thirteen.

"Can I ask you something?" Lilah began.

Lander picked up the radio. "Is it about Karen Blackwell?"

It was, so Lilah held her piece.

Tuning the radio, Lander shook his head. "The woman who hates me more than anybody else in The Fan?"

He found another channel that chirped, indicating that a broadcast was pending.

"And she didn't pay you to lie about your father that time?"

Lander didn't answer at first. Eventually, he chuckled. "Karen Blackwell hasn't looked me in the eye in five years." He lowered his gaze, watching his feet as he said, "You can't keep secrets from a Newbreed easily. I heard everybody whisper and I fell for it. I believed them that she was my mother. She never paid me to lie on my father. She's never had a conversation with me period.

"But when she took Rosie and Preen...." His breath hitched. "I wanted her to take me, too. I got it in my head that if I helped her keep them, she'd...she'd feel sorry for me and take me, too. I didn't even care if she was really my mother or not. I just wanted one so bad." He snorted out a laugh. "When she walked outta that courthouse, the last look she gave me was one I'd never forget. She wasn't gonna take me. I wasn't so much as a speck in her eyes. Rosie and Preen got to stay, though."

Lilah fought back her revulsion. This was the Lander she knew. The one everyone knew.

He ran his fingers through his hair. "That's why I gave my DNA to DAWN. When it fires up, it'll give me a good match. Give me some hope. I can't die a shit-farmer's son. There's gotta be more."

She wanted to ask him what he'd do if there really was no hope, if Karen Blackwell was really his mother and the village embarrassment, Tine, was his father. What would he do with that knowledge?

A part of her felt sorry for him, but a bigger part felt relieved. Whatever attraction that was there faded.

The radio buzzed to life. "Explosion at the enforcers' headquarters hours ago left three dead, one of which was a member of the Newbreeds' Committee. Amber Winrose, one of our founders, will be sorely missed. She's survived by her only child, Benjamin Winrose, an up and coming enforcer and son of an imp from the Northern gate."

Two more casualties were listed, as well as minor injuries.

"As of now, all enforcers are once again on active duty."

Lander changed the station.

"Hey," Lilah protested.

"That's the news channel. The real news is on the gossip circuit," Lander told her. "Here."

This broadcast sounded a lot less formal. "Word has it enforcers are seeking Karen Blackwell for questioning as this appears to be a hate motivated attack. Between you and me, that heifer needs arresting."

Lander turned the radio down.

Karen Blackwell...for questioning. Good luck with that idea. Not with her hate movement picking up steam daily.

As far as Lilah could gather, no enforcers were dead or in medical care. She was eager to see about Essy but felt compelled to handle the situation with Lander first.

"I'll walk you home," she said, rising.

He looked up at her. "I'll manage."

"When the dust clears, Lanny, I want to know that I repaid your kindness by at least walking you home. I needed the shoulder, and you gave it. I think tomorrow's coming with a rude awakening, so let me walk you home."

It took him a minute more to stand and dust himself off. He didn't live all that far from the farm. A black car stood parked by the gate. There was a rustle inside as they passed it by.

Lilah decided to knock on the house door, but Lander caught her hand.

He stared out at the field, the only place where sunlight was allowed to shine in the entire city. Sunrays danced there—it was morning.

"They'll be done soon," Lander said.

Sure enough, the door opened and a woman caught her balance at the sight of them.

Karen Blackwell was well into her forties but sometimes Lilah doubted her own knowledge—the woman looked young. She was also silent as she marched past them, wiping her eyes. When she reached the gate, two fancily dressed women jumped out of the car and held the doors open. Rosie and Princess.

Lander stared after her. "She doesn't usually bring her kids," he muttered. "She must have been here on actual business." Disgust evident in his voice, he said, "She doesn't even hide it anymore." Rather than make their way to the door, they lingered there for a time. Lander stared after the car as it bubbled away. "How's that fair? All she says and does against Newbreeds and yet...she can just come up here when the mood strikes her." He snorted out a laugh. "I used to take off into the city when she came. She refused to come out of her car unless I was gone. And he never told her to get lost instead." Letting out a sigh, he muttered, "If he was a success, she'd stay with him. But that idiot's never figured that out."

Lilah doubted that. The last of the black car faded into the city. Karen Blackwell might not have been privy to the enforcers looking to have a talk with her yet. Whatever her issue with the imps, whatever her hang up, it probably had nothing to do with Tine's success.

Hand clasping the doorknob, Lander remained still. He didn't step in.

"Stay out of trouble. Yeah?" he told her. "You go home and wait till the quarantine's called off?"

Their eyes met and she searched herself for a truthful promise.

"I'd better call Gus-Gus and let him know I'm okay. I...didn't even do that. I'll go visit him. He's still at Auntie Jan's."

Her answer satisfied Lander enough because he nodded and then walked in.

"Take care."

The door closed and she stared after it. She touched her shoulder out of habit. The badge was gone. Lander still had it. She raised her hand to knock but the shouts that came made her rethink it. Most of those yells came from Tine if the voice was any indication.

Lilah lowered her hand and swore under her breath. She'd come and get the badge tomorrow or the day after. The radio would have to do for now. As she made her way down the hill back to her bike, she tuned it.

"New song coming out for you from the top. It's an oldie if you're from the underground. Also, be on the lookout for a returnee from stasis—an Elemental named DeGrasse. She broke out of detention yesterday, screaming in pain, a blue-haired Elemental dragging her by the throat."

Lilah slowed to a stop. There was no way of repeating the message, but she wanted to hear it again. For one thing, why was DeGrasse the target and not the blue-haired Elemental. Especially since there was only one Elemental with blue hair in the entire city—her father.

"I'm reading it how I see it, people," the announcer said. "Of the two of them, DeGrasse's the danger, because officials want her back at all costs."

0