Fools 9
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They made it to the exit before Escott had time to counteract Lander's grip. When the cold, fresh air hit Escott's skin, he welcomed it.

Lander rubbed his back. "Take it easy, Essy...."

Escott shrugged him off and made his way down the street. "I need to walk this off, Lanny. Make sure she gets home okay."

Hands in his pocket, Escott made his way toward the farm. Today, more than ever, he longed for the familiarity of it. He wasn't cut out to be an enforcer.

He didn't get far into the city before he encountered an open manhole. Escott flicked his wrist, calling out his claws. It was less of a manhole and more of a crude tunnel lid. Escott took care when peering down it.

Twenty years ago, before the Great Divide, his father's people lived underground. Something forced them to the surface, a place they hadn't been for more than a hundred years. One thing was clear underground, though, imps were the enemy. They more than earned that name, too. Real imps, failed attempts at making a manmade Elemental, like real E's were hard to kill. So hard that the children and newborns were thrown away into the middle of the Colony—the Deadzone. Countless imps collected and grew, caring for all new throwaways until their numbers were sufficient enough that they posed a real problem. But imps hated lights. They had other weaknesses, but that wasn't what kept them from eating each and every person underground—Elementals were.

An Elemental, a real one, could kill an imp. So could other imps. And the Colony was littered with E's. Imps tried integrating once but were mistreated. They chose a leader and gathered in strong enough numbers that the Colony felt threatened enough to form a treaty: imps remain in the Deadzone unprovoked, and whatever entered their domain and they killed they could do so without retribution.

But then the Great Divide happened and for whatever reason, the imps split into two factions. One small group who helped rebuild The Fan, and a larger group who fed freely in all the chaos.

The most disturbing thing? Imps didn't need to eat to survive. Yes, they'd starve and suffer, but like real Elementals, they could break down matter on a basic level and feed off that. Imps chose to eat, chose to feed.

Escott had asked once and was relieved to hear that his own Eza never ate a human. That didn't go for all other imps now in The Fan. The larger group of rampaging imps remained underground, fearing their leader who'd decided to help survivors. Most didn't cause any trouble unprovoked, and until now Escott had only encountered one or two strays who dug up the earth by the farm, looking for an animal to drag down. He'd never encountered one in the city.

After surveying the street without signs of trouble, Escott dragged the lid back over the hole and waited. The covering was close enough to make him believe someone had tried to put it back on but was too weak to do so. That didn't speak of real imps who could not only put that cover back with ease, but also wouldn't care to hide their presence in the city.

Real imps were hard to miss, and it wasn't by accident that their imps, even the leader, were now hibernating.

Escott's Eza was the only one who never went, mostly because of an impending pregnancy.

The damp smell in the night meant possible rain. Imps weren't good around water, some Newbreeds weren't either. Escott would be fine so he decided to use that to his advantage should an unexpected guest pop up.

The Fan was low on Elementals now, but it did have one defense against imps— Newbreeds. An imp's spit held venom it could release at will, which was harmless to other imps. Newbreeds' spit could kill a small enough imp, and mess up a big one for a few weeks.

Still, Escott preferred when their imps handled the other imps still underground instead, because while Newbreeds did have the fear of their bites on their side, real imps were physically stronger and faster—their claws bigger. They'd survived hell and war, too. If they wanted to kill a cocky Newbreed, they'd be more than equipped to try and maybe succeed.

Another thought occurred as Escott stood. Crooks. He prayed the idiots weren't trying to use the underground tunnels to hide or transport goods. Without a Newbreed like Lander stupid enough to take the chance, they wouldn't get far.

Hands in his pocket, Escott scanned the nearly empty street and then turned to head down into a busier area he rarely went. Good Newbreeds didn't visit Turner Square. He'd stumbled down it a few times enough to know that was true.

Sure enough, the street got busier the further in he went. Something caught his eye—a man, flailing around and yelling at the wall.

Escott decided to give that lunatic a wide birth. The way others glanced in the man's direction confused him, though. They seemed generally concerned.

A closer inspection showed it to be Winrose. Escott's heart broke.

Escott debated leaving the man there or going to his aid. Winrose's actions were strange, though, if Escott didn't know any better, he'd think the guy was arguing with someone invisible.

"Invisible?" Escott squinted. "Invisible...."

Two shadows from the streetlight danced against the wall...Lander's cargo.

Judging from the way Winrose held his hand and slammed it against the wall, Escott imagined it to be someone's throat.

He hurried to give Winrose a hand for fear he'd kill their only suspect. "Winnie!"

Winrose dropped whatever was in his grip. He glanced in Escott's direction then raced away.

Escott thought to run after the guy. Considering that he'd lost his mother in that explosion, no one could fault him for trying to find that gang. And then another thought occurred. In the off chance that it wasn't the same pale-skinned girl, was Winrose looking to purchase some company?

That didn't matter right now. What worried Escott was the fact that he couldn't see the woman Winrose held. No. That was stupid. Course he could see the idiot. It wasn't like the woman was naked. He just had to try harder.

Focus on the clothes, he told himself, but even the clothes were a chore to make out. The girl stood still, back pressed against the wall maybe. Escott realized that by the rapid heartbeat he encountered when he leaned close.

He grabbed at the air and struck something; a figure tensed up.

At this moment, he'd give anything to call Gwen down here. She was an expert tracker.

Holding the woman by the air, Escott came to a conclusion. "I can't see you, and I think somehow you're doing it on purpose. I'll tell you one person who can see you, Winrose, and I'll call him back here if you don't knock it off." He waited, but nothing changed. "Or I can call the other enforcers to come see about you. Something tells me they can see you just fine."

"I'm not hiding," a tender voice said.

Escott didn't believe that at first, but he tried harder to make the figure out. Finally, the teen came into focus. Blood dripped from her temple down her face. That helped to see her. She was pale, even her hair was white. To make matters worse, her eyes were light blue. She might as well be ice at this point—she was just as hard to make out.

As much as Escott appreciated that blood, it worried him. "You're hurt."

The teen tried to wipe the blood away, but it smeared more.

"It's my own fault for trying to work without help," she muttered. "Arma's gonna kill me."

Work. So Winrose had been a customer. In the month-long recovery, Gwen had been Escott's eyes and ears. She'd also filled him in on what the hell a whore was. He resented the fact that she knew but he didn't. He resented it more when he found out she had access to archives Newbreeds weren't privy to.

With the way Escott felt about that bomb that killed three people, he should have dragged this idiot back to headquarters right now. Winrose was why he didn't.

Escott decided to leave this capture for someone else. Someone smuggled this woman in. Traveling underground to get here took weeks. It seemed a shame to survive real imps for weeks only to get whored once she'd arrived at salvation.

"This...this is my first time. So could you just let me go? You can get an E to scan me and see."

She wasn't who the enforcers wanted, the one to give them that dirty bomb was. If they could confirm it was Karen Blackwell....

The longer Escott stood there, the better he could make the girl out.

Escott debated taking her in. Topsiders in The Fan illegally went right back out via the Veil. An imp need only instruct one of the big Guardian imps to shift, opening up the field, and they shoved the Topsider back out. It just didn't seem right to survive underground imps only to get sent back.

"Can I talk to you?" Escott asked, eager to get as much information as he could without an arrest.

The way the teen took great interest in others who eyed them said she probably couldn't—not openly. Escott was kinda hard to miss—he was the Chief enforcer's son for one.

When the teen's stomach growled, he decided on a better solution. "I'll get you some food, and you answer some questions."

The girl didn't seem convinced.

"I won't take you in. I promise." Escott hoped she'd agree because otherwise he would arrest the wretch. Only thing was...he hadn't been an enforcer long enough to even know how to do that much.

"I can't," the girl said, and took off.

Escott turned to watch the fast retreat. It would be a good chase if he felt like it.

His heart wasn't in it—nothing seemed all that worthwhile lately.

The teen careened to a halt when three men stepped into her way. Maybe Escott had trouble seeing Ice. He didn't have one bit of trouble focusing on Winrose waiting some distance beyond the three unwelcomed guests.

Ice tried to double back, but two more men stepped out before her.

She was so damn easy to make out for everybody else.

"Wait. Wait, please. I can get it. I can pay. Please give me a second." And then the little wretch pointed over her shoulder at Escott. "But an enforcer's here."

Growling in the back of his throat, Escott stared them down. His reputation must have been bad enough because the men backed away. Three disappeared into open alleyways, but two held Ice under the arm and walked with her.

Escott broke into a run. People scattered.

"Newbreed!" someone announced.

Bright lights shined into the streets. They came from at least three different windows high up.

"Oh, for fuck's sakes," Escott said, falling to his hands and feet. "If I wasn't an enforcer now, I'd kick each and every one of you assholes." And since when did normal people take such precautions against Newbreeds?

Ice broke free of her captors and rushed a wall. Escott wasn't sure why until the teen grabbed hold of a landing and dragged herself up. She climbed. Sadly, Escott wondered if the poor thing realized that there wasn't a top to that building for miles.

Three men followed after her, though they didn't move as fast.

There was no place to go but up, as most buildings had to be built high to accommodate population growth. More importantly, fear of fire meant all buildings were so far apart there wasn't any hope to jump from one to another.

Ice found that out the hard way as she tired and found refuge on a balcony high up. She stared from left to right, debating what to do. And then she started to climb again.

Escott slowed and walked on two legs as he looked up, curious as to what the hell the girl had planned.

A good distance up, Ice climbed up on one final balcony, facing the street, and seemed intent on one thing—to jump off.

"Idiot." Escott gasped.

And then he saw it—it wasn't just one man or two. The group who hunted this girl had grown to at least seven, some using hover bikes to rise up. Whatever this teen was into, she was in too deep.

"Don't...." Escott pleaded as he began to run. "Don't. Please don't."

And then the poor thing jumped.

***

"Idiot. You fucking idiot."

Escott rushed to bite the other side of Ice's neck. He thought to do the hands and feet to help the pain, but the sight of the bones sticking out made him fight back a retch.

"You fucking idiot," Escott repeated, exhausted from his efforts. People gathered, but his pleas for someone to call enforcers or at least medics went unanswered. "I'm surrounded by more idiots."

There was no sense in staying here to guard the broken mess, so Escott resolved to run back toward the HQ. There had to be more than a few emergency checkpoints along the way. He'd heard of them tons growing up but never needed one before.

"I'm coming back," he told Ice, ignoring the girl's eyes wild with fear. "I'm coming back, but I've gotta call for help. I'm coming back."

Ice pleaded, "Don't go."

Escott left her. He ran the fastest he'd ever done, nearly colliding with someone in a robe. By luck and quick thinking, Escott slipped around the bastard and kept moving.

"Medic, I need a medic," he screamed, his word leaving his throat with a hiss. "A medic! Somebody get me a medic. I need a medic."

He was nearly at the HQ by the time a Newbreed, the brother of one of the would-be enforcers, ran out to meet him.

"A medic," Escott hissed and doubled back. "Follow my scent before the rain starts."

The crowd had nearly doubled. Escott reached back just in time to find the figure he'd bumped into, crouched down holding Ice's hand.

"Get up," the stranger said.

Escott came to a stop so fast he slid on his ass.

"Mouse, you have to get up. Get up. Please."

Bells and whistles sounded as help finally came their way. Ice seemed intent on following her friend, not that she could.

Escott shoved the man in black aside. "She shouldn't move."

The stranger ignored him, pleading with Ice. "We'll make do. We'll figure it out. But get up."

"You can have more parts this way," Ice said. "You can sell 'em and take care of it that way."

Her words tore a sob from behind the man's hood. "I don't need the parts, you fucking idiot. You need to get up and move with me. We'll make do."

Ice's eyes explored her friend until she said, "Your arm...."

The stranger held his left side, nothing was there. "It's okay. I've got another. But get up. I'm begging you, get up."

Escott got between them, shoving the jackass back before Ice could make another stupid mistake by trying to actually stand in this condition.

"Mouse...."

"She can't move, you stupid fuck." Escott growled. "What part of that's unclear?"

"Please." Deep blue eyes against dark nearly black skin peered at him. "Please. She's my sister. She's all I have."

Escott studied those eyes and came to a conclusion. "That's a lie; she's not your sister."

Body heaving, the stranger stared into him. "I will hunt you to your dying day if you let her die. If she comes with me...."

"Then what? You'll save her? Huh?"

Voice a quiver, the man said, "I'll figure it out."

"Essy!" Jan called. "Essy. I've got Newbreeds as far as the eyes can see. We've got venom, too."

Escott ignored the idiot at his side and called back, "I've already bitten her. I don't think she can feel anything. She's holding on."

Jan came to a stop before them. "Your father's told you not to bite anyone till we figure out how widespread this stuff is. I'll be sure to leave that out of the report."

"Mouse...." The man reached for Ice's hand.

Ice glanced past him then refocused and whispered, "They're still here. You should go. Please go."

Her friend didn't seem capable of leaving but by the time Escott turned to maybe make an arrest, the stranger was gone.

With no one there to hold Ice's hand, Escott grabbed hold and held on. "You're in good hands. Got the best squad from the farms," Escott assured her. Four people hoisted Ice up, to Escott's surprise, him as well. "Some dogs got in once, tore Sunny's arm clean off. After we found it his father put it back on. And look, yours is still attached."

"Geez, Essy, you're as bad as your father with these shit assurances." Jan jogged beside them. "Maybe you should shut it for now."

Ice chuckled despite the jostles. "Actually, they're kinda funny."

"What's your name anyhow?" Escott asked, "In my head I keep calling you Ice. And that won't do."

Ice leaned her head back, eye lids drooping as she laughed. "Ice...that's a new one. I suppose it's better than hey, you." Tears came through her laughter. "I thought it was high enough. I thought it was high enough."

It was high enough; Escott just bit her fast to slow the bleeding. Left by herself, she would have bled out.

"You might as well...might as well put Ice on my grave."

"Shut the fuck up," Escott yelled. "What the fuck you wanna die for? Hey, if anyone has the right to be suicidal right now it's me. All right? Until you get dumped on your deathbed, don't say shit to me about not wanting to live. Because trust me, nothing'll make you question your faith in humanity and women more than something like that."

Ice managed to whisper, "Yeah. That's pretty...that's pretty bad."

They reached a vehicle in time for two more larger Newbreeds to take the stretchers.

"Essy, you riding with?" someone asked.

Escott shook his head, he wanted to find that friend and figure this out.

Ice refused to let him go. "Arma...don't leave. We've come all this way."

Arma? Escott thought about it a bit longer and scooted along with Ice's stretcher until they both lay side by side.

For lack of something better to do, Escott held the somber face. "You're gonna be fine." Somewhere in his chant, he started trying to sound like Ice's friend. "We'll be fine, we'll make do. You trust that, right?"

Ice nodded. "Yeah.... We always make do. But how you gonna pay without me?"

Escott didn't have an answer. He kept quiet. If they were lucky, they could arrive at the medics before the rain started—most Newbreeds couldn't function well in the rain.

Shots rang out, spraying the truck. People scattered.

The door swung open.

"Mouse! Mouse, get up."

Escott got to his feet but froze at the large cannon before his face.

"Make a move, monster, and I'll wear your ears for a necklace."

"Arma...I presume." Escott held his hands up.

The stranger appeared to be acting alone. Behind him, the rain poured.

Shit. Escott hadn't expected it to come so fast. He assumed the others who were dragging the cart must have sought shelter. No doubt one of them dragged Jan along, too.

Newbreeds more than likely went home. That meant regular enforcers or medics were on the way. In this downpour, it'd be a challenge. Lights flickered in the distance—a car. Someone wanted these two, and wasn't about to give up.

Escott nodded forward. "You've got company. And you've got no way of moving this wagon. How's about you just take off and leave us to it?"

The stranger, Arma, pulled his hood back. It was a woman. Her bald head damp from the rain, she aimed the gun again.

"You're not taking her." Though focused on Escott, she called out to Ice. "Mouse. Get up. Get up now."

Escott wanted to curse the idiot for that impossible request. And then he decided to humor it. Maybe there was a way in hell Ice could rise again after falling that far. Maybe...just maybe. Arma must have seen it—she must have known. There was a problem, though.

"She can't get up," Escott admitted. "I've bitten her. That'll tranquilize the shit out of her for hours."

"Tranquilize...." Arma gritted her teeth. "Shit." She tried to back away. "Mouse, did you hear?"

The car in the distance barreled toward them, but it didn't seem intent on stopping.

"Mouse, consider it a drug. Get rid of it."

One cough came, and then another. Escott risked looking back to see Ice's body heave. He expected the girl to throw up, but one deep cough came with her remaining still.

After a moment, she spat out a white orb onto the cot. "Got it," Ice whispered. "I got it all."

"Good." Arma glanced at the open door again. "Now get up."

"My leg...."

"Worry about setting it later. They're coming."

And they came, gunfire. Arma dropped to the ground. Escott didn't bother. Five bullets pelted him, but the distance meant they would only sting. He flexed his back, satisfied when they fell out of him again.

Bam. Something rammed the wagon. The car.

"They'll tip us," Arma said.

Escott looked between the two of them and growled. "Fucking hell. Hold the fuck on. I'll drag us."

Arma hurried for the gun. "Not to your people, you won't. If Winrose catches us...."

Bam.

Escott searched those deep blue eyes for help.

"Please." Ice caught hold of Escott's arm, begging, "Please. That bomb that went off...we just used it. Whatever else was in it.... It's got nothing to do with us. Please help us."

If the screeching tires were any indication, there wasn't much time to decide who to believe. Escott got to his feet and jumped out.

"Where do I take you?"

Arma seemed ready to refuse, but Ice answered, "Under the bridge."

"Mouse," Arma protested.

"Well, he needs to trust us," Ice explained.

Escott slammed the doors shut before they could say anything more. Sure enough, the car doubled back, taking a bigger lead start.

Growling, Escott rushed to the front of the wagon and grabbed hold of the wooden pole. It was meant for two Newbreeds or one strong imp. Escott decided to put his back into it. He shoved his head through and started to run. The bridge...there was only one bridge in all The Fan...in the opposite direction of HQ.

This wasn't his first time pulling a wagon, but he was out of practice because his joints locked up. Once he started a good run, though, he picked up speed. The rain meant empty streets, but several pop, pop, pops from behind him meant they were far from home free.

Escott took the corner sharp, the weight of Ice and her friend nearly causing him to take a tumble. He got the wagon back on its two wheels and picked up speed.

Something else concerned him, the water. No, he didn't like the water, either, but he usually had no trouble. The more of it he saw, the less he liked it. Through the grey of the streetlights, the bridge closed in.

The wagon rocked—someone opened the door. One jostle must have meant someone jumped out. The second jostle surprised Escott enough that he looked back. The wagon tipped, dragging Escott by the throat. His body twisted as he crashed into the cobblestone.

Tumble after tumble came with a throbbing in his back. He meant to get up—he could get up. But the water. The pain faded in his body, he was fine, but the damn water.

"Fuck the rain," he yelled. "Fuck this fucking rain!"

0