Lows 14
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Escott sat with his arms folded. He'd stepped into it. Now he had to hold on and hope he could get that leg back.

"You have her with the medics instead of enforcers?" the Chief wailed.

"What was I supposed to do?" Escott asked, cutting his father a glance. "Tuck her away in a cell? The kid was dying." Blue badge on his arm and newly cleared of all suspicions, Escott had decided to visit Ice—it was a good thing he did. Whatever Arma thought she did, it didn't work. Ice looked like she'd jumped off another building again.

"That's when you call and let us handle it. You don't engage her on your own. You could have gotten hurt."

Escott appreciated that the old man at least scolded him in the office rather than in front of others.

"You've given this person access to E medics without our say-so, Essy. That's not how it works. Not when she was there at that explosion. What if the same thing happens again?"

Escott had a feeling the same thing wouldn't happen. Maybe it was Arma, or whoever, losing a hand, or the men who terrified Ice enough that she jumped. Whatever the reason, these guys were unraveling. But how could he convey that without his father's head blowing up clear off his body?

"I'll handle it," Escott promised. He didn't mean to sound so miserable but from Lilah to this, he was starting to miss the farm. "I'll handle it."

His father calmed in time, eyes sincere as he said, "You're a softy, Essy. And I do admire that about you. That's a quality you get straight from your mother and I appreciate it. It's great for creating stuff, but not for enforcing and I wish you'd leave this."

Escott sat back, defiant. "Talk to me like a regular subordinate. Are we done here?"

The Chief studied him for some time and said, "Fine, regular subordinate. You're getting written up."

"Are you fucking kidding me? For what?"

"For not calling for help sooner for one. Where the fuck's your enforcer's badge?"

Touching his shoulder to find it bare, Escott sighed.

"I've been a little disoriented since nearly dying," he admitted.

His father's expression softened, but Escott wasn't having it.

"Are we done here, old man? I've got some things to research."

"Essy..." the Chief said, finally, "prepare yourself for her going back. People like her will try to win sympathy however they can. They said you bit her."

Escott didn't appreciate the accusation. "Trying to say I'm in cahoots?"

"No. I just...I just figured since nobody tried to hurt you down there and...and you bit the suspect, that you might have been friends."

"That and Lander'd transported her."

The Chief didn't answer. He didn't need to. From the moment Lander came into the picture Escott's credibility was on the line. This only served as a reminder.

"Don't let him drag you down with him," the Chief warned. "Let Lander handle his own problems."

Escott had had enough. "Lander's got nobody else. Don't you ever ask me to turn on him again. I'm going to check on my suspect if it's all the same."

"No. No, you're not. I don't want you anywhere near her. Go check on your Newbreed crew. Their mothers are about to storm the castle."

In true Escott spirit, he ignored the man and went to check on Ice, his suspect. Although well-aware of the eyes on him as he passed through the open area of patients, mostly human wives at their recovering imp's bedsides, he walked with his head held high.

The whispers made him curious by the time he reached the only room there, guarded by five men—and one woman.

"Auntie Jan, I didn't know you were still here."

"Hey, button. I've gotta talk to you." Jan stepped closer to him, whispering. "Your father hasn't seen this yet, but I'm giving you a heads up. Your suspect needs a few more days, but there's a push to get her out the door and out of The Fan for that matter. So...I got desperate."

Escott waited, not liking the sound of this one bit. "And?"

Jan handed the paper over, promising, "I put it on right when she came in. I'll remove it as soon as she recovers. I swear."

Right eyebrow raised, Escott grumbled. "Married? Not you, too. You've engaged me again to this person? Mar...Marum?"

"Maramin."

"Maramin. Of course." Escott didn't like where this was heading. The fact that someone else seemed eager to marry him off to save someone meant that he was an easy chump. Of course, he wouldn't argue it. He wasn't going to, but he did put his foot down. "If it'll buy us some time and you'll take it off before I have to walk down the aisle, don't worry about it."

Jan hesitated. "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure." Escott laughed. "And go ahead and tell my dad. Would love to see his face."

Escott stepped within the room in time to see Mar...Ice sit up and struggle to take the wire binds off. It'd be a cold day in hell before she could break through. Short of removing that hand, she wasn't going to get out.

"Hey. You're moving?"

Ice paused. Maybe she hadn't intended for anyone to see her this healthy this fast.

"When are you sending me back?" Ice asked. "Can I see...can I send a message or something first?"

Escott pulled a chair from the wall and sat down. "In a hurry to leave?"

Ice was easier to see this morning. Escott wasn't sure why. He took comfort in it, though.

"Can't say it wasn't fun coming all this way." Ice scoffed. "Don't have any more brothers to give to the cause, though."

Escott studied her and said, "I don't know what you Topsiders know about us, but you should be aware that we can spot a lie a mile away. Beyond that, you don't have any brothers. You don't have any family at all."

Ice's eyes widened.

"There's a red line that extends from everyone," Escott explained. "It'll travel all bloodlines. It's usually how we find relatives for others. You have not even one line. That means no brothers, no sisters, no father, no mother. None of them alive or dead."

"I said they died," Ice insisted.

"Yeah, but when a line is severed, it just sorta...floats around. You've got nobody."

Ice watched him, debating something. Finally, she said, "They were the closest I had to brothers."

Escott wasn't quite sure how truthful that was. The we can tell a lie bit was a lie in and of itself. It usually worked, though.

"Will they send me back down into the tunnels?" Ice asked, hands trembling. "Because I'll take execution instead."

That was understandable. "No. For that we open a gate and throw you out of the Veil, I think." Escott wasn't entirely sure if that was true, either, but he wanted to give some assurance.

The door opened and Winrose paused before entering. "Oh. Hello, Escott. Are you done with the prisoner?"

Ice rose higher in bed, closer to the wall.

Escott glanced from her to Winrose and back again. When Escott looked at Winrose, he saw a weakling, someone almost adorable. Even those glasses were a riot. He didn't see a threat.

The way Ice seemed ready to burrow through the wall both confused and worried him.

"No. Not yet," Escott said.

Winrose asked, "Another ten minutes, then?"

The Chief and company would be coming soon no doubt. Instead of leaving, Escott hopped on the bed and took Ice by the arm.

"Here getting comfy with the new fiancée so gonna need a minute. Yeah?"

Winrose puzzled over his words but said nothing as he inched out and shut the door.

Escott didn't like the idea of leaving Ice alone. When the Chief came in raising hell and cussing without limit, Escott got out of there, though. His intent was to head back down to the pen and find Ice's friend, Arma, but when he asked for access, finally, he could focus on one person—a fellow Newbreed in the pen who wore a gray cadet uniform.

"Lander?" Escott opened the door of the pen and ushered his friend out. "You need a walk?"

Darla stood to protest, "Essy...."

"We'll stay right here," Escott said.

Lander laughed as he exited. "Essy. I came looking for you. What'd you think?"

It was true, Lander didn't sport a badge, nothing at all.

"Think?" Escott stepped back. "What are you doing?"

"I'm joining the enforcers, obviously."

Escott raised an eyebrow at him.

Lander gave up. "Yeah. Okay, okay, but you know, I could be serious one day."

That eyebrow rose higher.

Finally, Lander confessed, "For privacy reasons, only enforcers are allowed access to DAWN's results."

Escott nodded. "And you wanna get your own." They didn't get farther than a small desk where idle enforcers played cards.

"Got my own," Lander said, flopping down. "Haven't looked yet though. Besides, your new engagement is all over HQ. I ran over here to see what the hell was going on. You and Lilah—"

"You must be out of your fucking mind." Escott needed a minute to fight back the gag. He didn't care if they were out of earshot. "How stupid do you think I am? Lilah? You think I'd ever consider Lilah again? Even if we were the last two people in The Fan. I'd have to be a fucking fool and this time she should smother me with a pillow on principle alone."

Lander made a face. "I get that you two have your differences, but...."

He was smart enough to shut up.

Escott glanced down at the envelope. "Now that you've got your results, you quitting?"

"I...." Lander considered it and tried to laugh. "Course—course I am. Course I would."

Another thought concerned Escott. "Wait, my new engagement is all over HQ? Are you serious?"

If the way Lilah watched them was any indication, it definitely was.

She stood to approach the door of the pen. "Essy...."

Escott zeroed in on her. "Wait, before you say anything, let me lay down postulate at your feet so you can walk all over me again."

Lilah had the grace to blush. She didn't meet his gaze as she took her seat once more. Several more enforcers entered the holding room.

"They're trying to safeguard this place thanks to your suspect," Lander explained.

"You mean your suspect, don't you?" Escott's drive to head out and even find Ice's friend, Sasha, wavered.

"Are you off duty?" Lander asked.

Escott was, but he planned to head back into the pen to see to the children. "Nope."

"What's with the engagement, though?" Lander asked.

"Huh?" Escott glanced at him and explained, "It was Auntie's idea."

"You sure?"

Escott sat up, disbelieving his ears. "What?"

"Nothing."

As more and more people entered, Escott realized something bigger was happening. Lander was here, maybe of his own volition, but something said otherwise.

Escott made the mistake of standing and peering out the only window in the room. Far below, cars zipped to a halt. Karen Blackwell stepped out. She wasn't dragged, she wasn't cuffed, and she sure as hell wasn't under arrest, not with the protesters forming almost instantly.

The Chief entered the room through one door but paused at the sight of them. Escott made sure to sit across from Lander to indicate this wasn't a jailbreak.

"Lanny, you can't really be out of the pen."

At Lander's silence, Escott assured his father. "I've got him. Just taking a small break."

The Chief sighed.

Darla, seated at the main desk, called out. "Got him, too, Chief."

The Chief paused at the sight of her. "Darla? You still on duty? Get some rest."

"No thanks, I'm okay."

The Chief glanced at the window. From this height it was hard to see down to the ground without getting closer, but Escott understood. Karen Blackwell, the one responsible for the poison that took Darla's chance at motherhood away, was coming, and she was marching through.

Rather than bring attention to it or go down to greet her, the Chief stayed close and kept his mouth shut.

The crowd of enforcers safeguarding the building grew, chatting although several stray glances came their way.

When the Chief caught sight of Lilah, he shook his head. This was...uncomfortable. Lilah's so-called fugitive father performing scans under foot was...uncomfortable. Her being in the pen was uncomfortable and sure as hell Karen Blackwell storming their building with her supporters was...uncomfortable.

Especially when everyone became privy to each other.

Lander rubbed his shoulder. "Essy, you okay?"

"Yeah...yeah, I'm okay." Escott wasn't okay.

But it was the Chief who surprised Escott by grabbing him to stand before dragging him into a hug. He didn't make any stupid jokes or excuse Lilah's behavior—something he was notorious for—he only held his son close. That made Escott worry. Someone was in trouble. Either Lilah or Lander or both, but someone was in trouble.

Escott almost melted into the embrace, but he was too angry. His only show of appreciation was the gentle way he broke his father's hold and stepped back.

Karen Blackwell was no doubt in the building by now and Escott said, "They need you down there."

The Chief didn't seem intent on going.

Escott pleaded, "Don't let everybody worry. I'm okay." He gestured to Lander. "Lanny'll be here. We'll stay put nice and safe in the pen."

At first holding Escott's shoulders, his father held his throat then his face next. "I'll be right back. I promise."

He walked away, but Escott didn't watch him go, instead, he paced.

Lander took him by the arm again. "You'll feel better once this is all over with. Sit down."

But Escott wanted to break down. In fact, he was certain if he wasn't here, he'd be crying in a corner somewhere. He refused to give Lilah that satisfaction, though, so he sat at the little table, thankful when Lander sat down before him. This wasn't where Escott wanted Lilah, but equally, her recent snub of his peace offering the day before was still fresh.

Even Lander looked spooked. Now and then he glanced in the distance at Lilah but didn't focus on her for long.

It took Escott some time to realize why Lander was so curious about Lilah—no one greeted her as they entered the room. Even her brother Gus, who passed through with Gwen nipping at his heels, didn't cast her a glance.

"Been that way for a while," Lander said. "Not here. But around town. And what she did to you when you were sick is spreading fast. Incredibly fast. I don't think there's anyone around who doesn't know. Word has it Gus-Gus isn't talking to her, either."

As angry as Escott still was, he was sad to hear about Gus's betrayal. People were supposed to stand with family, not leave them. But maybe that was just that family's nature.

No. That was nonsense. If Lilah dropped down hurt right now her little brother would rush to her side. He wouldn't walk away from her without looking back.

"It's weird having someone else overshadow me as the outcast," Lander muttered.

Escott looked to see what he meant. Eyes of fellow enforcers glanced at Lilah, usually accompanied with a headshake and whispers. And while several people mingled, no one went toward her. She sat stoic, though, as stubborn as ever.

"If we're gonna talk about this, you'd better hold my gun," Escott said, putting it between them for sport.

The chatter picked up, and Escott tried to find the source. Winrose entered the already crowded room and requested entry to the pen. That Newbreed managed to look even more feeble than before as he made his way to Lilah.

"That's good," Escott said without thinking. He met Lander's blank gaze and explained, "She's not good with being alone. It'll be good if she's got one friend."

Lander watched Winrose and Lilah unabashed. "You don't think...you don't think she's found someone else, do you?"

Cringing, Escott sat up. He'd thought about that, too, as he lay in bed for two weeks straight, willing his body to mend.

Turning to face Escott, Lander put his hand over the gun. "Can I give this back to you without someone getting shot in the head?"

Escott didn't appreciate his friend's train of thought—he wasn't petty.

"What? You think I want her to die alone or something?"

Lander scoffed. "Looks pretty likely she might right about now."

"No. I don't wish that," Escott admitted.

"So you can forgive her?" Lander asked. "Even if she was kissy-face with somebody else?"

Escott didn't have an answer. He didn't want Lilah alone. Despite all she'd done and all the time he'd wasted trying to be whatever she wanted, Escott did care about her. He did want to see her happy—more than anything. That was why he'd turned himself inside out to try and be all that she wanted. Somewhere along the lines he forgot about himself, but he didn't hate her, even now.

"There's no forgiveness," Escott said, sitting back. "That's the problem. I'm shocked, but not surprised. Does that make any sense?"

Lander took great interest in Winrose, especially when the Newbreed sat down at Lilah's side. Escott, on the other hand, resolved to ignore them. He had to because while he should focus on Winrose being there for Lilah, he couldn't help noticing how some of the kids huddled closer to Arma and one even started to cry.

"I can't believe the nerve," Lander muttered. "People'll get the wrong idea and talk if he sits in there now."

But Escott took interest in Lander instead.

He decided to put his friend at ease. "Leave her to Winrose. He's just lost his mother, and Lilah can definitely relate. If they can find solace together, I can't fault them that."

Lander turned to Escott and asked, "Are you saying you honestly don't care?"

Escott searched himself for an answer and a sincere one came. "I honestly don't begrudge her it, no."

"But Winrose is on your team," Lander argued. "He knows your territory and to do this...to approach the same week you confront her...." He glanced back to the unlikely couple. "The nerve."

That was jealousy talking and Escott knew it for what it was. As far back as Escott could remember, Lander'd had a thing for Lilah. He couldn't help himself; he was so in love with that family. Escott might have encouraged it if he thought Lander had a chance in hell. Lilah looked down on him and there was no sense in trying to send her into his arms. Even when Lilah made her choice by proposing to Escott, Lander never challenged it because he must have known his interest would never amount to anything. Escott chalked it all up to that jealousy why Lander was so interested in Winrose now.

"And he's so weak-looking," Lander protested.

Escott said, "Lilah's tough as nails. She doesn't need someone strong." He snorted out a laugh. "Fuck. I don't know what the hell she needs."

The envelope holding the results from the DNA test should have been Lander's focus tonight, but he instead looked back at Lilah and her only company—Winrose.

"So you'd give your forgiveness and blessing? Even now?" Lander asked, looking back again.

Escott glanced at the pen but couldn't stand to see the scene in question.

"I guess."

"Because if you want to go over there, I'm behind you."

"Leave them." Escott said, "I have no ill feelings. They deserve something nice. Just wished they'd keep me outta it."

Escott didn't mind her moving on, not even slightly. If Lilah had someone to keep her company through this hit to not only her reputation, but the loss in the family, then all the better. Besides that, Escott didn't want to tell Arma about Ice's unhealed injuries. He was afraid Arma might tell him something unfavorable...like the fact that someone...someone strong yet weak-looking might have made those injuries anew. The thought hadn't occurred till now, and Escott wanted to kick himself.

Lander faced him, a crease in his brow. Escott struggled to read that expression.

"You honestly don't care? You'd let it go?"

"I have let it go," Escott corrected. "So stop looking at them." He considered how he could get Winrose out of there.

And then Lander said something strange. "And would you forgive it even if it was me?"

Escott blinked once. "What?" He didn't wait for Lander to elaborate, he only cut him off when he said, "I'd kill you."

Lander's breath hitched until he tried to smile through the strange expression of half terror, half amusement.

"You'd give Winrose a pass?"

"Fuck yeah I'd give him a pass, but not you." Escott trembled but fought to calm. He kept reminding himself that Lander wrestled with these feelings for ages and he couldn't fault the guy. Something else came to mind, something he hoped he was wrong about. "Another Newbreed with nothing to lose taking my girl is one thing. Especially one who's just lost his only family member. But you...you're something else. If I found out that you were fucking my fiancée while I lay dying because of your piece of shit smuggle gone wrong.... I'd kill you."

Lander stared at him, lips parted, without a breath to give.

And then Escott saw it, a change in the bastard's expression. He grabbed the gun off the table and shot Lander in the throat.

Screams broke out. Some people fell to the floor, others drew their weapons. Escott didn't care.

Lander's wound spread then mended fast, as expected, but that didn't matter—it hurt.

Escott brought the gun higher, but Lander defrosted from his shock and ducked in time.

"You fucker." Escott stood, flipping the table. "You wanna be me that bad? Huh? That what this is?"

Lander drew in ragged breaths as he struggled to stand. He extended his hands, urging Escott back. The gun must have damaged his voice box because he sounded guttural as he begged, "Please, Essy. Nothing happened. Nothing happened. I swear."

"You swear? Bitch. You swear? How about I swear?" Escott darted for him, but Lander jumped back. This was far from over. Escott threw the gun down, opting instead to let his body expand. He rose in height, claws bare. "You fucker."

Lander blocked the first strike barehanded. He had to turn to catch the second one in the back.

"Essy, please. Essy.... Essy, I swear, nothing happened. Nothing happened."

Escott punched him. The force of it made all in the room freeze.

"Trash," Escott said, "even more trash than everyone thinks."

A slender frame jumped in front of Escott before he could charge. Escott almost boxed the woman aside but caught himself. He calmed, instead.

"Aunt Darla...."

Darla moved with Escott, making certain he couldn't attack Lander yet again.

"How many more?" Darla asked, "How many more of us need to suffer for you guys to realize we're at war right now and we're not prepared for it."

Escott respected her—respected her situation, but his instinct remained fixed on Lander and a possible swift end.

"Nothing happened..." Lander repeated. "Nothing happened, I swear." It was the shakiest two steps back Lander ever took. "I swear."

But what did his words matter? Escott spat at the ground, not caring that the acid he'd called up sizzled and faded.

"Look at you, always sniffing at my heels, taking my scraps, envying my old things, borrowing my clothes you'd never give back. Now this? This?"

His words put a dent in Lander's otherwise sorrowful expression. Their situation wasn't new or unknown. Pity drove them together, but Escott had always followed that unspoken rule that ones with everything didn't throw it in the faces of the have nots.

Lander didn't appreciate it one bit. "And what is this, Essy? Huh? You don't want her. You don't want anyone." He pointed but didn't look to see Lilah's slow rise. "Look at her. She's gorgeous. Everything about her is so well put together and you've been in the presence of that for over two years with...with nothing. Not a damn thing to show for it."

He waited, but Escott had to wait, too—he had to know where Lander was going with this. The bastard had nothing more to say, but Escott wasn't finished.

"This isn't the same as a bored Yule looking to see what a Newbreed tastes like."

Lander's color deepened. "To hell with you, Essy. You knew how I felt. You knew. And you didn't care. And I've put up with it but come on. Let's be serious. Every single inch of her is perfect and you don't talk about it. You don't even look twice. For a second, I thought maybe you didn't like women, but that's not it, that's not it at all. You're strange. Are you even sure you even have a dick?"

Escott's body shut down. He stared at Lander long and hard but had no response to give.

It was Darla who slapped Lander, however. "Show some respect. You two are friends. Decent people don't attack each other like this."

"There's nothing decent about him," Escott said, "even his mother didn't want him."

Now it was Lander's turn to lose all form of speech. Escott regretted his words because while he himself didn't shed a tempting tear throughout this whole thing, Lander stifled a noise before he turned to walk out.

He couldn't leave, though. Darla grabbed him. "Lander. Lander, you can't go."

"Outta my way." Lander made it to the door, but Newbreed enforcers blocked his path. Nearly everyone in the room was Newbreed.

Lander looked silly there in his cadet gear. Escott felt sorrier because his friend wanted to leave, but ultimately had nowhere to go. The door opened and he rushed it, but Maraton pushed him back.

"Calm, little one. Where are you going?"

A child screamed and Escott rushed to the pen to find Winrose standing. Escott thought to go in but Arma called to him.

"We're okay. Honest."

But Escott didn't like it. He took the key from Darla's desk and opened the pen. "How about you come outta there, Winnie?"

Winrose glanced from Arma back to Escott again. Finally, he stepped out.

"Sure. Essy. Was just checking on them."

Escott nodded. "Sure."

Something rushed them. Maraton moved so fast Escott barely noticed. Slamming Winrose against the wall by the throat, Maraton extended his arm higher and looked up to him. "What in the hell are you?"

Winrose struggled to speak. "Please...."

Maraton slammed him again.

Darla hurried to intercept him. "Mara, he's just a Newbreed."

"This isn't one of ours," Maraton said. "Woman, have you lost your mind? This isn't one of ours."

Winrose's face twisted. Darla rammed Maraton and they landed against the cage. Before Escott had time to act, Winrose darted for the window and sailed through, broken glass and all.

A loud crash came with it; he landed on one of the cars below.

Maraton grumbled as he stood. "Why did you do that?"

Darla's chest heaved. She couldn't answer, but Escott could.

"She was afraid he'd bite you, Uncle. Newbreed venom, remember?"

0