Sending 16
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The pen remained under lockdown thanks to Escott's outburst. Lander slumped over in a corner by himself. Lilah watched the floor while Arma stayed busy trying to quiet that eternally crying child.

Faced with it, a hurricane of emotions came and went. Part of Escott still wanted to beat Lander senseless, he wanted to beat himself senseless. After all Lilah did, he still tried to give her a blanket and some food. Maybe now he could face facts—she didn't give two shits about him.

Arma must have lost faith, too, because she didn't look in Escott's direction. The little boy broke free of Arma's grip and rushed the door, though. When he realized Escott wasn't coming back in, he sat down and began his bawling again.

To Escott, this wasn't how a five-year-old acted. He'd babysat endlessly for his parents; he knew how to handle children, but the way this kid reacted was a bit too pitiful.

"He just hates being tricked," Arma said, reaching down to pick the boy up again. "Took your sweet time in coming back."

She walked away before Escott had time to explain or apologize. It wasn't just that, though, Arma had seen—seen Escott and Lander's fight, if anyone could call it that.

None of it really mattered. Lilah wasn't Escott's responsibility, neither was Lander, and sure as hell not Arma. All the better with everyone keeping their distance. Escott had bigger things to worry about.

Still, he lingered there at the door a bit longer, feeling the worst he'd ever felt in his life. He didn't want to really leave. Instead, he wanted to check on the food rations for the children, maybe see about organizing a bath for them today, too if they chose. And although they received clean clothes, that was days ago.

Arma refused to look in his direction. Other than the constant crier, none of the kids did, either.

Escott took it personally but left them there.

Darla stood before he could leave. "Your father's looking for you."

"Yeah...I bet."

"The mayor's here and so is Jerret. Get up there and show your support. I'm worried. What with Mara and the others going to the barrier to keep the Topsiders out. Jerret still hasn't regained his ability to communicate with the other Guardians to instruct them to move and close that gap."

Escott watched the pen for some time before he turned to go.

"Essy...." Darla struggled to say something. Finally, she shook her head. "How could you dream of siding with Karen?"

She seemed ready to bust into tears, but Escott explained, "This isn't about Karen Blackwell. It never was. It's about a thirteen-year-old girl who's got no voice to scream, and she needs us. She needs someone to believe her."

Darla's twisted frown might have meant she was of the same opinion as everyone else. "I've been married for twenty-three years. I know better than anyone, imps don't seek intimacy from where it's not offered. And they never leave the side of their women with child. Whatever you're looking for, you're not looking for an imp."

That might be so, but Escott wasn't ruling them out.

"It could have been a mistake; an imp who mistook her for an adult. She looks my age, I get that."

Darla shook her head. "I doubt it. I honestly doubt it."

Escott fought back his anger. "Why?"

"Because...because she's—she's pregnant. Any mood change and he would have left her there to bleed to death. I just...I just don't believe an imp would seek her out randomly or that she'd seek one out. And we scanned her when Karen brought her—I scanned her, because I did worry."

After waiting for what felt like ages, Escott finally asked, "And?"

"And the pregnancy is slow to progress. That means it's likely a human father. An imp husband to human wife's pregnancy is four months...tops. This would be month three and I bet you it's not showing yet."

That information didn't deter Escott so much as made him feel like he was sinking—getting way in over his head.

"I made a promise, Aunt Darla. I haven't figured it all out yet, but I will." He paused before walking out. "And I haven't chosen her side. What she did to you...." He fought for the right words, but nothing came.

When she broke his gaze, he stepped out and closed the door. He bumped into a blue-haired E.

"Escott."

"Mr. Osbourne." Escott thought to step aside and let the man go speak to his daughter, preferably without talking to Escott about it. "Lilah's—"

"Lilah poisoned the Guardian."

Escott blinked. "What?"

Osbourne scanned the bare hall before mustering up enough courage to repeat himself—quieter. "That's why I designated her to the pen before someone else got a hold of her. I didn't even pass by close. I was in the room next to hers. It's all over her mind. She stabbed the Guardian with something, and she thought it died."

This was bad. This was beyond bad. This rocked Escott's world. Briefly he wondered if she just hated his kind all this time. Why would she try to kill a Guardian?

"It's not dead though, which is good."

"The meeting's just adjourned," Osbourne said, "Harris wants anyone involved exiled. No matter who."

Escott took a step back. The pain evident in Osbourne's eyes was crippling. Harris's words came as a shock, but Escott could hardly say he blamed the man. Messing with an imp Guardian was life and death for The Fan. That was treason.

A part of him was angry at Osbourne for keeping this secret about Lilah. Of course, if Harris knew he'd have to think of something else. Now he couldn't go back on his ruling for fear of showing favoritism. If anybody found out and Lilah was tried....

"That's why both of you need to move quick and complete your engagement," Osbourne hurried to say. "Imps mate for life, we assume Newbreeds do, too. Jerret's law is absolute: we cannot deprive an imp of his mate. So please go back in there and get the documentation done."

Escott knew his face lost all expression. He was too numb. Being bombarded with marriage and failed attempts at marriage all around made him miserable. Osbourne must not have known what his darling little girl did to her fiancé on his fucking deathbed.

But how could Escott tell him? This would look bad for Lilah, too. From her leaving Escott to die to actually harming an imp guarding them—she seemed like a loose cannon or a zealot for sure.

Escott found himself opening the door leading back to the pen and inching inside under Osbourne's watchful eye.

"Good. I wanna be there, but I have to meet everyone for Blackwell's daughter's scan. Can you wait till I come back? It won't be walking down the aisle, but I want to stand by her side when you two exchange vows."

Swallowing felt like eating sandpaper. Escott waited for Osbourne to rush away before he turned and faced the room he'd just left.

Darla stood to greet him. "Essy...?"

Escott swallowed again. He had to blink himself awake. "Could you...I know...I know it's not right and you can't but...." His breaths came shallow. He was afraid he'd pass out. "But could I get inside there?"

The small pen looked insurmountable. The cling from the keys brought him back to reality.

Darla complied; she must have been fearful enough.

Escott lumbered in. He nearly pissed himself when the door slammed shut and bolted.

Marriage. He'd have to marry Lilah to save her yet again. Marriage. Marriage to Lilah. Each step Escott took in that direction, the worse he felt. What would he do? Propose? He gagged. Would he tell her he knew about her assassination attempt with the Guardian and was here to save her?

And then it hit him. What did he want? He searched himself for a possible answer but could only form one conclusion. He didn't want Lilah. He didn't want her. The idea of waking up tomorrow with her by his side was cringeworthy.

She'd just sit there all smug at his rescue attempt. He'd rot inside daily at having to live with knowing he proposed to her after she left him to die. And Lilah? She wouldn't act surprised. And why would she? Good ole dependable Escott was always there putting himself last.

He didn't want her exiled, but he didn't want her.

Something clung to his leg. He peered down at the dark brown eyes of the crybaby.

"Essy.... You came back."

Escott picked him up, happy for the distraction to his own idiotic thoughts. He couldn't marry Lilah. He'd sooner marry a chair—he'd get just as much emotion from wood. He couldn't marry her, not even to save the entire world. He couldn't.

No sooner had he sat, he turned to Arma and said, "We should get married."

Cringing, Arma leaned away. "What?"

"Hear me out." Escott gestured around to them. "They are from your lot, most of them. Just say they all are. Since you're responsible for them, they fall under your say-so."

Arma remained quiet. Escott felt foolish.

At the woman's feet, two children slept. Who said she didn't come here looking to abandon them? But she'd come and she hadn't wheeled them to HQ and run into the night. She'd come, so she must have cared even slightly.

"We're not blood," Arma reminded him.

"They can come under my name," Escott said. He felt foolish again. He'd just offered to take Arma's eleven-children burden. He hurried to course-correct. "This is to ensure that you don't get sent back. After a little while when you get back on your feet, you leave. That's all."

Arma blinked. She blinked again. Escott hoped she wouldn't ask it.

"What about divorce?"

That was a problem. To date, he'd never encountered divorce. Not because it wasn't possible but because enough emphasis was made that an imp mated, simply would...be. He might 'be' in a separate part of the house hibernating for fifty years, but he would definitely 'be' there.

"We form weird attachments. I think that only happens when we honestly mate. I've never seen imps divorce. The only reason why a spouse of an imp or Newbreed would take exception to a law is because of this problem. But it's okay. You walk away when you want and it's fine by me. We just gotta make it seem like we tried. But regardless, it keeps you in the city. Maybe indefinitely."

And maybe Escott just offered to give a stray criminal a pass she didn't deserve.

"I just need for you to be honest with me, because this is a lot to take on." He waited and asked, "Did you intend to kill or injure the Guardian imp?"

Arma's jaw dropped. "I lost two of my boys and nearly a third risking life and limb coming here." Her own words made her pause. "Speaking of limb...." Holding onto the bare area of her left shoulder, she shook her head. "Right now I'm praying they close that gap before any Elemental sent to retrieve my lot comes in." Her blue eyes met Escott's, and she seemed genuinely sincere when she said, "On my life—on the life of my lot, I never intended to harm the Guardian."

Escott asked, "And the bomb?"

This time Arma's answer wasn't as forthright. It came, albeit slower. "Blackwell gave me the bomb, insisted that I use it with the powder. It was discounted and that stuff was supposed to make people confused—something like that. And I believed it and I ran after we got Mouse. That's all I know."

It'd have to be enough, because an E was going to check.

"Elementals are going to ask you these questions while they scan you."

Arma nodded. "I'm an E, too. I can take it."

Escott figured as much, especially with the way Arma healed Ice and her limitations with one hand missing.

"These are war-time E's. They're soldiers. Taking information at all costs is what they do."

Arma's confident posture waned. Escott almost regretted being the cause, but he had to be upfront.

"So...can you tell me your real reason for coming here...to HQ?"

Sometimes Arma's features seemed soft despite the strong exterior, now was no different.

"The enforcer...a Newbreed, he was waiting for us when we got home. The way he moved was unreal. I...I didn't know what to do. I was afraid he'd hurt Mouse. So I came and I sent Sash off on his own to make do for a while...maybe forever. I'm one-handed, I can't feed them like this. I need to pay Blackwell and get it all to stop, but I can't. So I came here."

Escott considered if that was a good enough answer. But it might have been true. Arma originally expected her remaining seven 'lot,' not an additional four.

"Well, someone was despicable enough to send four of theirs, and that's too bad."

Arma didn't answer right away, but confessed, "There is no 'send some.' Anyone without a full lot of ten would have to explain it. Either she sent who she could and remained behind or tried to go and didn't make it. But either way, the six are dead. That's the punishment for trying to go against the laws."

One of the boys by their feet shifted and Escott tried to hold it together. When he first sat down, he felt sure—this was the right thing to do. It felt easy and maybe even funny if his father took it seriously, but all traces of humor were officially gone as of this moment.

"And I admit, for a split second, I did wonder what it'd feel like to be burden free." Arma tightened the grip on the baby she carried. "But I don't know what'll happen to them. Mine were well cared for. But...." She glanced at the often-weeping child who slept in another child's hold. "I worry about the others."

Escott lost his nerve. His feet shook, he wanted to stand and leave. He sat right there, though, and made his offer again.

"So let's do it. You can spend time on the farm for a bit until you get back on your feet again and pay for the gangs to leave you alone."

Arma's jaw worked. "It's a strange offer. I...I never even considered it. Not even once. It's a strange offer."

A lot of words described it: crazy, insane, stupid, stupid, and even more stupid. Strange wasn't one he expected.

"I'm...I'm not sure what to say." She pulled the hood back to get a better look at Escott. "Are you serious?"

As if this was something someone would joke about. But could Escott joke about it? Could he laugh it off and stand right now?

The deep blue of Arma's eyes said she was a proud woman and in no way looking to beg, though she wasn't above it. Escott found his courage to nod.

"Yes. I'm serious."

Arma let out a ragged breath and sat back. "And I...I don't know. I've...I've never had a companion before. I've never even considered it."

Escott felt lighter at the complaint. He chuckled. "Trust me, your virtue will be safe. Besides, all the better for this partnership because there's no confusion or actual pressure. We can stumble around through this together. I'm not looking for intimacy, either. Apparently, I'm lacking in that department. So consider this a regular partnership. The look on her face'll be a bonus."

Two blue eyes blinked at him as Arma puzzled over his words. "What?"

"Huh?" Escott tried to recover, but he wasn't sure what he said to prompt that stern expression. "What? What?"

Arma cocked her head to the right and said, "Wait, are you saying all this just to get back at that woman over there? You're toying with our lives for some petty vengeance?"

A wave of dread and confusion washed over Escott who leaned back and tried to take her in. "Um...."

0