A Pair of Unbreakable Legs (8)
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

           "So, let me get this straight." Purple rubbed his eyelids. "You're telling me that we'll be staying in this city for who knows how long in order to help a demon rebuild her legs? So it'll be easier for her to kill people?"

  "She doesn't kill people. Look, I know you don't like demons, but she isn't like the rest of them. She's just a girl who wants to walk!"

  Ryder gulped down a half-boiled egg as the morning sunlight was smeared on his face. On the other hand, the dragon, still in human-ish form, emptied his cup and chowed down a steak with a scowl.

  "I thought you like it here. Isn't it great you get to spend more time hooking up with people?"

  "Not when a demon will be running around this place soon."

  "Why are you so up and arms about one demon, anyway? I thought the great Terror of The East doesn't give a shit about mortal affairs."

  "I don't." Purple's throat rumbled. "As much as I like this place, I'm getting bored of it. I refuse to stay here for more than a month, and I will leave with or without you."

  "Avoiding the question, hmm? Tsk, tsk, tsk." Ryder shook his head dismissively.

   The dragon narrowed his eyes.

  "I'm leaving now. See ya." The human grabbed his empty bowl and left.

  Purple snorted. Once his rider and Brown had left his line-of-sight, he shifted it to the windows and sat there like a statue, gazing into the horizon. His finger started tapping rhythmically on the table.

                                        X

  "More crabs have gathered at the cave. I'm pretty sure it's because we pissed them off, and they don't want any more visits to their home. We don't want to kill them, but it's making our exploration of the cave difficult." Ryder pushed the mostly hollow container into the workshop. "We only managed to scrape some remaining Camptosium in the previous vein, and it's likely we won't be mining any tomorrow."

  "It's alright, Ryder." The blacksmith glanced at the blueprint on the worktable. "The design's not finished yet anyway, though it's coming along well. I'll do my best to cobble up a gadget that'll distract or repel the crabs as quickly as possible."

  "That'll be immensely helpful, thanks." The rider clapped his hand, shaking off any dirt on his palms. "Did the officers come by?"

  She nodded. "Twice. They told me they found the empty container at an abandoned building an hour ago, and that was it."

  "No clues leading to the thieves?"

  "I don't believe they'll catch the thieves." A bitter smile flashed before she turned around with the container held up by the large hands.

  The human tightened his fist. "Do you think it's-"

  "It doesn't matter anymore, Ryder. Even if the thieves are caught, the Camptosium is gone." The demon waved her hand. "The present is all that matters right now. Justice can wait."

  "I'm amazed you don't seem angry at all."

  She cackled. Then, her horns hummed with purple light as she snarled with a vicious scowl, "I would love to track them down and tear them limb from limb as they scream in agony-" When she noticed he was blinking blankly at her, the light abruptly vanished and an awkward smile surfaced, "but I don't want to waste your time. See you tomorrow?"

  He gulped. "See you... tomorrow." The rider turned around and left the building.

  As soon as the door closed, Estria knocked her forehead on her worktable repeatedly.

                   X

  "I'm surprised you have the restraint to still not ask her about her origin, Ryder."

  The brown dragon glanced at her rider as they trudged out of the cave under the setting sun.

  "It's bound to be a touchy subject, Brown. Plus, we've only known each other for, what, two weeks now? I don't think I'm close enough of a friend to ask her about that."

  "Despite the fact she had shown great affection for you as you two spent the past week chatting for entire evenings?"

  "So what?" Ryder adjusted the container hanging off of his back. "I mean, sure, I am very curious as to how a demon is living in such a big city, but..."

  "I'm not pressuring you to inquire about her past. However, you should not make light of your friendship with her. Strong bonds are far more valuable in this world than your peaceful one. There will always come a time when you need assistance from a trustworthy friend."

  The human offered no reply.

  15 minutes of walking later, the trio arrived at Neverdusk Blacksmith.

  "Do you like food that... combines spiciness, savoriness, and sweetness together?" Estria asked as Ryder placed the container next to the purifying machine.

  "Ooo~ It's been a while since I've eaten something like that. Sure!"

  Green growled with excited intrigue.

  "Alrighty! The shop is located on the street opposite to the restaurant we ordered from yesterday, so you might've seen it already. It's called The Volcano Honey. It has a big, red sign. Can't miss it. I recommend the first, third, and ninth item on the menu. The flavor is incredibly thick and the meat is-" She licked her lips loudly. "Scrumptious. Or, you know, you can always try the tourist recommended meal set. This one has one of the better ones compared to the other restaurants. Order item three and nine for me, please."

  "I'll let Brown and Green grab our dinner this time. My back's feeling a little sore today." The human cracked an awkward smile. After giving a knowing glance to Brown, she dragged the perplexed Green away before he could protest.

  "Here, you can sit in my master's chair. It is veryyy comfortable." She went over to the shopfront and dragged a chair that barely fit through the door. It was about ¾ of the human's height, and it looked eerily similar to massage chairs seen on Earth, though it was less bulky. Once her hands left the chair, he plopped himself down on the furniture with a cotton-like comfort, causing a moan of relief to escape his mouth. His hand swiftly shaded his embarrassed face whilst the demon chuckled.

1