A Tune of Memory (5)
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        “I can’t believe I used to think being popular and having loads of fans is fun. They have so. Many. Questions.” Ryder let out a heavy sigh as he stepped out of the restaurant while Findir was still inside paying the bills.

  Green growled.

  “The perks that come with it are pretty neat, I suppose. Although…” The rider narrowed his eyes at his scaly companion. “I bet you’re glad that he treated you to a big bowl of fresh salad when you’re still not supposed to get any.”

  The plant dragon puffed with dissatisfaction.

  The human pointed. “It’s his freedom to treat you, but the moment he’s gone, you’re not going to get any until you deal with your spores from me.”

  “Whatcha’ two talkin’ about?” Findir stepped out with a cheery smile.

  “Nothing interesting. Thank you again for treating us.” Ryder spoke as he still gave Green a side-eye.

  “T’is nothin’ compared to the hardships that y’all warriors of the Goddess need to endure! I’m only doin’ my part to support y’all if I can!”

  Ryder nodded. “Alright, let’s-”

  “You guys have fun with the boring investigation. Don’t call for my help if there’s no steak waiting for me. See ya.” Purple extended his wings and shot himself into the air, causing a brief disturbance on the street. Right as his rider was about to shout at him, he was already gone from the gang’s view.

  “I’ll rent a room to deposit our supplies first. You should go ahead with Green and Findir,” Brown informed as she transformed back to her dragon form.

  “Okay. We’ll update you our location once you’re done.” The teenager then started loading the supplies that were placed on the ground when the dragons were eating onto the earth dragon’s back.

  “To be able to see a drag'n transform twice in a day with my own eyes! O’, t’is truly is an amazin’ day!” The Felmier’s eyes sparkled with child-like excitement.

  “Do you know where we can find lodging, Mr. Toygir?” Brown asked.

  “You may call me Findir as well, esteemed Brown! You can find one after you turn left down the street!”

  The dragon nodded and left. Findir waved before turning to the rider. “Where shall we depart to, Drag’n Rider? I-I mean, Ryder.”

  The human took out the address and the map. “Whichever of the three sisters’ residence is the closest to us. Let’s see…”

  “May I, Ryder?” The cat-man stretched his hand.

  “Sure.” He handed both items to the musician.

  Findir took a few quick glances at the map and the address before ambling forward. “The closest is but a short hike from ‘ere! Follow me!”

  As the trio made their way to their destination, the Felmier introduced the history of the city in relation to its musical fame. He also explained the origins of famous spots that tourists were gathering around. Green listened with great interest, whereas Ryder was only paying partial attention as he fought against his post-meal drowsiness.

  The first sister’s residence was located at the entrance opposite to the one the gang entered. The house, sitting at the periphery of the city, had a garden for its front yard, unlike the cramped houses built at the center of it. As they got closer, they noticed there were two men in black suits standing at the entrance of the house chatting with a young woman.

  “...We promise ya that ar employer will preserve the sheets with utmost care. He simply doesn’t want these precious relics left by yer great-grandfather to perish or be stolen by petty thieves to make a quick buck. I implore ya to reconsider yer decision, Lady Orris.” The taller and slimmer man spoke as the white ears on his head twitched.

  “I-I already told you I-I can’t sell it to you! N-not until the curse on the Onyx Knight is broken! P-please leave me alone…” The young woman pleaded in a dejected voice. Her blue tail, while barely visible behind the entrance, was as tense as a straight pole. Unlike the other residents here, her ears weren’t fluffy, and it was grown at the side of her head, like a human’s.

  “But Lady Orris, the curse hadn’t been broken for over half a century! Surely, if it was possible, it would’ve been done by now! I assure ya, the price ar employer offers will allow ya to live a comfortable life even if ya don’t work fer the rest of yer life!” This time, it was the other man who spoke up. The only feature he shared with his companion was the color of his feline features. Other than that, his physique was the complete opposite of his partner, which was to say he looked like an inflated balloon.

  “I-I can’t. Please just leave…”

  Just as Ryder was pondering if he should intervene, Findir already jolted forward and stood next to the two men. The rider sighed and strolled toward the front yard.

  "‘Ello, gentlemen!" The yellow-ear greeted with a smile.

  “Who the hell are ya? Can’t ya see we’re talkin’ ‘ere?” The fatty scowled.

  “O’, ya talkin’? I thought ya two are deaf, considerin’ this lady had repeatedly shoo ya two away.”

  “Why ya little-” The fatty’s sentence was cut short by his colleague stretching his hand.

  “Who are ya? If ya not Lady Orris’s associate, please leave. We still have business with her-”

  “O’, so ya not only deaf, but stupid, too? Let me help ya reiterate what she said: Fuck. Off.” Malice crept into Findir’s curving lips.

  “Who do ya think ya-” The slim man’s rising voice was shut off when he saw Green snarling at him. He gulped, glared at the yellow-ear, and smirked apologetically at the woman. “If yer ever change yer mind, Lady Oriss, ya know how to contact us. Let’s go, Leddin.”

  The two white-ears turned and left.

  The blue-tail released a heavy sigh of relief and thanked, “They probably wouldn’t have left if you didn’t come along. I am very, very grateful for your help, kind stranger.”

  “Yer welcomed! It’s only natural to lend a helpin' hand to a beautiful maiden like ya.” The musician winked, and the woman blushed in response. “If ya don’t mind, we have some questions-”

  “DRAGON!!” A young girl screamed as she ran out of the house and hugged Green tightly. The dragon was a little taken aback, but allowed the girl to touch him to her heart's desire. She had complete feline features that Felmiers posses, and her fur/hair was brown.

  “What are you doing, Eitto?! Come back!” The woman chased after the girl and tried to peel her off of Green. “The dragon will get angry if you don’t let go and then eat you!”

  “It’s fine. Green’s not going to get angry, and he definitely won’t eat people.” Ryder patted the plant dragon’s head, to which his partner smiled.

  “Oh, thank the Goddess.” The woman pressed her hand against her chest and sighed. “I’m sorry for how my daughter acted. She’s very obsessed with dragons.”

  “I can understand that.” The teenager grinned.

  “Uhm, s-so, if you don’t mind me asking, who are you…?”

  “He’s the Drag’n Rider! The one who'd taken up the request to break the Onyx Knight’s curse! And he’s ‘ere to inquire any details that’ll assist him in his quest!” Findir exclaimed as he approached from behind, startling the woman slightly.

  “Oh! I’ve heard tales about the Dragon Rider! Are you really him? Can you really break the curse?”

  “Yes, I really am him. You can call me Ryder. As for whether I can break the curse, that’ll depend on what you can tell me, Miss…?”

  “Alin Oriss. I-I’ll do my best to help out! I hope I didn’t forget anything my grandmother told me…” She fiddled with her fingers restlessly and glanced at Eitto. “Uhm, is it okay if I leave my daughter to play with your dragon, Mr. Ryder?”

  The rider shifted his sight to his scaly companion and saw the dragon teasing the girl with his vines playfully. He looked back at Alin and nodded.

  “L-let’s talk inside, Mr. Ryder, and Mr.…?”

  “Findir Toygir, at yer service!” The cat-man did his signature bow.

  “Ah, I-I see. Please follow me then, Mr. Toygir, Mr. Ryder.”

  The humanoid trio then stepped into the house.

1