A Tune of Memory (15)
4 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  “Wait, what? Sappho gave him the key? So she’s not a spy?” Ryder raised his eyebrow.

  “Her employers, if they exist, would likely only want to strip the city of Cybele’s protection because even if she leaves, the effect of her magic on the crops doesn’t go away. If she escapes and never returns, then Sappho can call off the Pestilence, creating the illusion that her existence itself was responsible for the creature's arrival. All that's left is to let her employers annex the city with an army.” Brown theorized.

  Syrinx took a few sips from the cup before resuming. “When I saw that happen, I thought Sappho was perhaps forced to become a spy, and that she still treasured my sister. After all, why else would she have done that?”

  “But yer sister didn’t escape. Did something prevent Attis from savin’ her?”

  “Not at all. I saw him go in, and about 10 minutes later, he walked out. No one found out.”

  “He… left her to die?”

  “He loved the city as much as my sister, and he always had a strong sense of justice. I think… he couldn’t let countless innocent people die just to save one person. He’d probably said that if I had confronted him. I was so, so angry at him. There was a period when I was glad my sister cursed him for abandoning her, and I thought she did it because she was angry as well. But, after awhile, when my wrath no longer clouded my mind, I felt sorry for him. He lost as much as we did, yet he’s condemned to eternal punishment. So, my sisters and I used the money our parents left us to put up a request at the Guild and waited for someone to set him free.”

  “I see. So, what happened on the day of Cybele’s death?”

  “The ritual was set during noon, after the mage, Attis, and the guards captured the Pestilence. Many of Attis subordinates died in the attempt, and even more died as they bound the creature inside the ritual circle. I invited Thalia and Aria to join me and see Cybele for the last time, but they didn’t want to, which I can’t blame them for. So, I went by myself and followed my sister with a crowd when she was transported from the dungeon to the ritual site. I tried to speak to her, but she couldn’t hear me through the noise. I thought she would be afraid, but she looked like she had accepted her death.

  When we arrived at the site, all the guards forced us to watch at a distance. I shouted her name, but all she gave me was a bitter smile. I begged Attis to save her as I watched her be tied up to a wooden pole, but he remained unmoved. Once the mage started his incantation, they set a fire under her feet. I had to listen to her agonizing scream as she was burned alive. Many people in the crowd, including myself, tried to fight against the guards to save her, but the guards didn’t give in even by a single centimeter. After all, their defeat would mean the death of their families and friends.

  And then, just as I saw Attis turned back to face my sister and shoved his subordinates aside, she cursed him. She said that he had failed to fulfill his promise to marry and take care of her until they die of old age, so she damned him to walk this plane eternally. Everyone was shocked. As for Attis, he fell to his knees, and pure despair was etched on his face. It sent a chill down my spine. I could practically see his mind and heart shattered into unmendable pieces.

  When my sister stopped moving, the Pestilence vanished. The plague was gone, but no one was in the mood for celebration. Then, as the crowd returned to the city, an arrow pierced through the mage’s chest from the back, and we saw a sea of Phlenx soldiers pouring out of the jungle. Their commander demanded that we surrender immediately or they will take the city by force. The mayor promptly rushed out of the city, screaming that they had broken their peace treaty. Before the commander could reply, Attis leaped forward, sliced the commander’s head off, and began his massacre. The mayor and all civilians outside were forced back into the city while the guards fought off the army. I had experience as a combat medic, so I was asked to stay and help out.

  Attis was like an unstoppable force, a dragon in a Felmier body. His greatsword cut through the soldiers like they were butter and never stopped for even a second. When magic started flinging from each side, the houses outside of the city became part of the collateral damage, including my old family home. I saw him directing the attacks away from my home, thus only minimal damage was inflicted on the house and the piano. That was where Cybele and his wedding was supposed to be hold, after all.

  Regardless of how powerful Attis was, he was still mortal, and he fell to the ground after killing nearly half of the soldiers. Right as the enemies were celebrating their assured victory, he stood up again and resumed his killing. However, a sickly black aura began coiling around his body until there was nothing of his former-self left. After he slayed them all, he walked back to the piano and stood there. A guard tried approaching him afterward, and they were instantly cut in half. That’s when we learn he’ll attack anyone that gets close to the piano.”

  “After everything calmed down, my sisters and I returned to our family home one last time to retrieve my father’s music sheets. Due to Attis's efforts, the sheets were undamaged, and the house was far enough to not trigger him to attack us. After that, Attis acted as a deterrent, so the city no longer needed to worry about being attacked again. Phlenx issued an apology when the next ruler succeeded the throne. And to mend the relationship between the city and their country, the new king promised to protect us if anyone else tried to do the same as they did once.

  When I heard the news, I asked Elisha to help break the curse. But, she believed ‘The Onyx Knight’ is the only thing keeping the city safe, and that the new king’s promise was a hoax. So, she refused. My sisters and I had our own difficulties in life that prevented us from learning how to play the piano again. So, I kept on hoping and waiting for someone or a group of people to break the curse.” With her story concluded, she emptied the cup.

  “That’ll be us! Or, rather, the Drag’n Rider!” Findir gestured proudly at his friend.

  The old woman smirked. “Many have said the same, you know.”

  Ryder assured, “We’ve identified and obtained the sheets that have the song we believe will break the curse. We only need to last piece that is currently in your possession, Ms. Miuzika.”

  “Oh?" Her eyes widened. "If that is the case… Are you confident you can hold your ground against Attis for three minutes, Dragon Rider?”

  “You described him as having the strength of a dragon, yes? Well, I have three. We can hold him as long as it takes. Although, now that I think about it, is the piano still even playable?”

  “Yes. Any instruments that my father made will not deteriorate, no matter how much time has passed. Although, it can still be destroyed, so be careful.”

  “Then we simply need the last sheet. Once my companion here mastered the song,” he pointed at Findir, “we’ll go ahead and break the curse. Since we already have the first two sheets, we only need to find the one in your collection that has a matching title.”

  “I see. Though, I’m afraid you arrived too late deary, because I already sold the sheets to two gentlemen a few days ago, but-”

  “What?!” The human stood in shock.

  “-there’s nothing to worry about, because-”

  The sound of an opening door behind them interrupted her for the second time.

1