A Tune of Memory (25)
4 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  Under the silver moonlight lay a Felmier in his twenties. Scars decorated his face, though that did not diminish his good looks. Atop his yellow hair lay one ear that is intact and one other that seemed to have been torn off. His eyes gazed blankly into the starry night, but now, it reflected the light of life. When the two musicians entered his sight, a deep, soothing voice rumbled from his throat and escaped his mouth.

  “Cybele came to me, a day after she accepted my marriage proposal, with a music sheet. She wanted to play the song her father favored the most, and she wanted me to play it with her. I never held an instrument before, but she convinced me to try. I practiced for months in secret because she wanted it to be a surprise. It was the hardest thing I ever learned, but it was worth it to make her happy. Our duet never came, and there was never a day, even as I dreamt endlessly in this cursed prison when I didn’t lament I couldn’t listen to it.” He shifted his sight to the Felmiers staring at him. “Thank you, both of you, for fulfilling my wish, despite my attempt to drive you away.”

  “Yer welcomed, Mr. Zeker!” Findir bowed.

  “Y-You’re welcomed, Mister… Attis!” Aoede glanced at the cat-man and imitated his bow.

  Attis smiled back and peered at his legs, which had started to disintegrate.

  “Do you hate your sister? For what she's done?”

  Everyone shifted their attention to the earth dragon, who had changed to her humanoid form and stood next to the dying man. A seemingly bitter expression reflected in her eyes as her hand curled into a fist. Ryder and Green looked at her with slight confusion but didn’t say anything.

  Attis met her eyes silently before speaking up a few seconds later. “My sister loved Cybele long before I couldn’t take my eyes off of her too. No one around us ever realized my sister’s feelings for her, so I pretended not to either. As my sister became busier to impress her, there was more time for me to spend with her. And soon, she started looking at me the same way I did at her.

  Then, one day, my sister told me about her ‘surprise’ that will happen on the same day I plan to confess to her. The day we both first met her, when she saved my sister and brought her back to me. I could’ve confessed the day before. I could’ve not confessed at all. There were other girls I fancied before, after all, while my sister could only ever look at her. However, at that time, there was nothing else I wanted more in the world than her, so I betrayed my sister without hesitation. So, no, I don’t hate her, not when I feel like I could’ve done things differently.”

  The earth dragon unclenched her fists and replied plainly, “I see.”

  “Perhaps it was a fitting punishment that Cybele cursed me. I swore to protect her, and I didn’t fulfill my promise. I even told her to her face the night before and begged for her forgiveness. I guess she didn’t really forgive me after all.” He sighed as he stared at his missing lower body.

  “She didn’t curse you at all.” Purple snorted.

  “What?” Attis furrowed his eyebrows.

  “But you said he’s a cursed variant of a bound spirit. How-”

  The dragon clicked his tongue at his rider. “I know what I said, Ryder. I held on to my initial assessment because the signs the broker described weren't substantial deviations from a typical case. However, I was proven wrong during the fight earlier. If he truly is a bound spirit made as a result of Cybele’s curse, then he wouldn’t have been able to move the piano. Bound spirits are called as such because they are bound to an anchor. They are subservient to it. If they could influence their anchor, then this plane would’ve been overstuffed with spirits trying to live past their deaths.”

  “Then… If Cybele didn’t curse me, why did I end up like this?”

  “If I have to hazard a guess, you probably believed her curse so wholeheartedly and are consumed by your negative emotions, like guilt, sadness, whatever, for failing to save her so wholly that you manifested the curse and unknowingly cast it on yourself. This is why love is the deadliest poison in the world. It’s a shame I couldn’t quite synthesize it.”

  Ryder elbowed his companion and glared. Purple stuck his tongue out and looked away.

  Attis let out a dry laugh as the disintegration had arrived at his neck. “I’ve been a fool all this time. She probably said those things so I wouldn’t do anything idiotic to save her. I should’ve never doubted her love. Because of my lack of faith, I condemned myself to this hell for decades and caused the deaths of so many people. I’m such a pathetic man and a useless protector.”

  “Yer not, Attis.” Findir kneeled down and turned the disembodied head around so they could meet eye-to-eye. “Ya made a mistake. That is undeniable. But because of yer mistake, ya saved the city twice. Once from an army that would’ve oppressed the people ya sacrificed everythin' to protect, and again from yer sister who would’ve relished in their deaths. Yer not pathetic or useless, Attis. Yer a hero, and I’ve no doubt Cybele will be so proud of ya when ya meet her again. The city will remember ya as a brave protector too. I’ll make sure of it.”

  Aoede kneeled down too and patted the Knight’s head. “You did a good job, Attis. Thank you for saving all of us. I won’t forget it.”

  A genuine smile formed on Attis’s face as a tear streamed down his disintegrating cheek. Moments later, he was gone, his dust scattered in the wind.

  A moment of silence ensued before Ryder walked over to the two of them.

  “Well then.” He reached his arms out to help them up. “Shall we head home?”

X

  “I see,” Syrinx uttered on her chair after listening to what happened. “I knew she loved and admired Cybele, but I always thought it was a familiar love. All these years, I never stopped loathing her in my mind. Her tragic story doesn’t erase the bad things she did. But… She was a friend. I hope she didn’t pass too painfully.”

  “She didn’t, thanks to ya granddaughter comfortin' her.” Findir patted the girl’s back.

  Aoede nodded sleepily as she rubbed her eyes.

  “Oh, dear. I’m afraid it’s her bedtime already.”

  “It’s our bedtime too, so,” Ryder yawned. “We’ll be taking our leave now.”

  The old woman bowed. “I thank you again, from the bottom of my heart, for saving Attis. I will not forget your kindness. The city will remember your efforts, even if I have to hit that mayor with my cane.” She raised her head and chuckled.

  “Will you visit me again tomorrow, Mr. Toygir?” The girl asked drowsily.

  “I can’t make any promises, but I’ll do my best.” The cat-man smiled and patted her head.

  All of them subsequently bade goodbye before the gang and the musician left the apartment.

  “One more thin' before we part ways, Ryder.”

  “What is it?” The rider turned to his friend with another yawn.

  “My grandfather will be arrivin' in the city tomorrow late mornin'. And… I want ya to come with me, so we can ask him about the song together.”

  “Sure. I think I have a feeling about what’s going to be the answer to the question. Same restaurant for breakfast?”

  “Yep.”

  “See you tomorrow then, Findir.”

  “See you tomorrow, Ryder.”

1