CHAPTER 14
35 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 14

The joyous party has ended, and we have already danced our hearts out. It's now midnight, and it is time to say our goodbyes.

"Thank you again for coming, Lord Ulysses Corasell, Lieutenant Yehanna Lancelot." Princess Amaryllis did a curtsy with a happy smile on her face. "I would like to invite you again for my next birthday!"

"The pleasure is mine, your grace." I bowed with my hand on my chest. "Though isn't it a little bit too early for me to get invited for your next birthday?"

"You're always invited, Ulysses!" Ross hung his arm on my shoulder. Then he winked on the princess. "Right, Mary?"

"Yes!" The princess jollily answered. She put her hands on her hips and bulked up. "A good friend of Ross is a good friend of mine too! You are welcome to enter any of the Royal Palace's premises with my express permission!"

"I'll ask for a more private and simple celebration next time I come around," I said with a smile. "Good night, you lovebirds!"

"Good night!" The princess happily waved her hand. "Take care!"

My Dragonoid Contractor bowed to the princess, and then we took our leave.

As we walk through the exit, Yehanna glanced at me with a grin.

"Would you like a ride back home?"

"Gladly," I spoke. "Since there's no more bus at this late hour of the night, I'm dependent on your care."

I pulled my long sleeve and materialized a magical circle in my hand. Yehanna immediately cut me from doing what's on my mind.

"Oh, I won't transform into a dragon. I'm quite tired and a little bit tipsy. I don't want to accidentally drop you fifty meters from the ground if you ever irk my nerves. Let's just have my old limousine."

"Okay then," I said with a wry smile. I returned my long sleeve to its original position and walked just beside my Dragonoid Contractor.

Yehanna texted with her phone, and just within three minutes, the old limousine came in. This is the very same limousine Yehanna used to make her grand entrance a few hours ago.

The driver's window rolled down, and an old bald butler with eyeglasses and a sharp nose greeted us.

"Good evening, Lady Yehanna."

"Good evening, Sebastian. You're fast as always." Yehanna smiled. "Let us escort my Dragon Sage first to his house before going back to the manor."

"Yes, my lady."

Yehanna opened the door to the limousine, and I entered first. Just like what I've seen in the movies and TV, limousines sure are spacious as a room of karaoke. There is a set of long red chairs and a table in the middle. The luxury designs in this car look classy and antique.

"This is so cool. I think I'll buy one after I get my first salary." I muttered to myself.

"You'll buy something newer and better once you finish your first thesis, I'm sure of it," Yehanna said with a reassuring smile. "Your house is just starting to climb to the higher nobility. It's just a matter of time until you can buy anything you want."

"I'm looking forward to your help then," I said. "Tomorrow, we're going to transcribe dozens of books in the library."

Yehanna just replied with a smile.

I took a peep from the curtains and took note of the landmarks. For some reason, the driver knows what road he's taking as if the map is written at the back of his hand. That's weird because I've never said my address yet, and they already know where I live.

Yehanna even knows a little about my family. I've never discussed personal matters with her, and the House Corasell is a small and obscure house.

Suddenly, I remembered that I gave her the list of the 99th Dragon Sage batch list. We all have some information on that list, and I remember that Yehanna requested those documents.

My memories popped like a chain reaction of dominos.

I remembered the documents about the assassinations of Dragon Sages, the princess hostage-taking incident, and Yehanna's story about her grandfather.

It's like pieces of a puzzle just randomly popping out wherever I look.

And for some reason, they all fit well together even though they are all far apart.

"..."

There was an awkward silence. Only the engine of the limousine can be heard. The driver Sebastian is focused on his driving, and Yehanna is just looking out in the beautiful city lights through the car window.

My heart is getting heavy. My brain feels an internal itch. I might not get any sleep tonight if I did not get this off my chest. I only need to ask a question to quench my thirst for the answer.

"Hey, Hanna."

"Hmm?"

"Have you gotten your revenge for your grandfather already?"

"Eh?"

All of a sudden, the old driver coughed. But the driving kept steady, being a professional as he is. However, that cough is not some mere sudden sickness or accident. It's a cue. I know there's something I shouldn't know, but I already know.

"Sorry. That was a strange thing to ask." I faked a smile and then moved on.

I pretended to be amused by looking at the city lights on my side of the window.

There was an awkward silence once again. But this time, it's cold and eerie.

I saw the highway next to my house. It's just a one-minute drive from here before we reach my home.

However, at the back of my head, I know nothing is waiting for me.

I will never get home tonight.

"Sebastian, pull over. Let's go to our manor." Yehanna commanded with pure coldness.

"Right away, my lady." The driver stepped on the brakes and drifted, and then went the other way at full speed.

Tears began to materialize in my eyes as I saw my house getting farther and farther away. "W-Wait!"

All of a sudden, a magical katana's cold blade touched my neck. So far, it's the flat part of the blade that's in contact with my throat. But with only a single twist, my head might fall off.

I raised my hands in submission. I slowly turned and saw who was threatening my very life.

It was Yehanna who was holding the katana. Her crimson eyes injected terror into my very soul. She's not the carefree Dragonoid Contractor I had, nor the damsel in distress I saw in the party. She's the angel of death, the very same aura I saw back when I first met her. And somehow, this is filled with triple the bloodlust.

"How did you know?" Yehanna asked.

"W-What?"

"I said, how did you know!?" Yehanna shouted as she pushed the flat part of her blade to my neck. "Don't play dumb! Don't mess with me, Ulysses Corasell! I know you're too smart for your own good!"

I took a deep breath and lowered my hands.

I know that this might be the end of the line for me, but at least I should let my head cool. I must confront head-on what has been bugging me the whole night.

As I opened my eyes once again, I glared at the Dragonoid woman with full determination.

"That's right. I know that you, Yehanna Lancelot, is the one responsible for the assassination of the Dragon Sages."

2