CHAPTER 22
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 22

"Okay, Round Two!"

I shouted out loud after a minute of time-out. I have regained my senses, and the world is no longer spinning in my perception. I tried to hop three times and stretched my neck to the left and then to the right.

"You sure?" Ross said as he readied his sword.

"There's no more pain in my body. I can still fight!" I said.

I looked at Yehanna who was quite worried a few seconds before. But when she saw me jumping around, she knew I'm still well. We both nodded at each other and then prepared for our battle stance.

Odette also tightened her grip on her scepter. Her red eyes observe our every movement, ready to unleash the appropriate support magic to Ross.

"With the power of lightning, I command thee, to overclock my brain threefold!"

Lightning surged to my cerebrum and cerebellum, making my synapses strobe. I can now think as fast as a supercomputer with triple my IQ. My brain automatically analyzed the combat situation.

[Battlefield Analysis Complete]

[Best Course of Action: Distract Ross as much as possible, and prevent Odette from using support spells]

[Suggestion: Go straight for the Main Objective]

[Chance of Winning: 95%]

"Hanna, take care of Ross using long-ranged attacks," I said to my partner.

"Roger!" Yehanna sheathed her sword and switched to her two giant pistols. She aimed her guns at the white knight and started firing.

Air bullets rained towards Ross. Since there's a lot of distance between him and Yehanna, it is only natural that some air bullets would miss. However, about half of them are dead-accurate.

"They're switching for long-ranged attacks!" Ross shouted to Odette as he tried to deflect the incoming air bullets with his sword slashes.

"I'll support you!" Odette answered. She closed her eyes and started chanting. "With the power of light-"

"I won't let you!" I laughed. I slammed my palm towards the ground and exerted mana on it. "Quake!"

All of a sudden, a magnitude three earthquake roared. The ground shook vigorously, but it's not powerful enough to destroy anything. All it did was shake the earth.

However, that's enough for me to distract the Divine Priestess from her chanting. When the earth shook, she tripped herself and fell to the ground, unable to complete her chant.

"Kyaaa!" Odette cried.

"Crap!" Ross yelled as well as he got slightly outbalanced. He lost his focus and failed to deflect the first three bullets that hit the holy barrier.

On the third air bullet, the barrier finally broke. It left him open from the fourth and fifth air bullet that hit his knee and shoulder.

"Gah!"

Taking the opportunity of this chaos, I ran and circled them. When I closed the distance, I focused on the poor dizzy Odette who is still on her knees.

"With the power of lightning, enhance my feet!" I tapped my shoe on the arena's sand, and it sparked electricity. It boosted my muscles and nerves to do a breakneck sprint that destroyed the wind barrier.

When the cute priestess opened her eyes, she was surprised to see me charging towards her.

"Kuh!" She cried shortly as she just closed her eyes and guarded with her scepter. She's perfectly startled on what to do at this rate.

"I'll catch you!" I spread out my hand that is equipped with the Dragon Seal glove. Once I sealed her heart with this spell, I win this ritual.

Ten meters of distance quickly turned to five, and then to two. Some of her wavy pink hair already touched my skin.

One meter. My hand is one meter away from her chest. Time slowed down due to my brain processing information at lightning speed.

However, victory is not yet guaranteed.

"This is not over!" Ross cried as he came for the priestess' rescue. Ready to slap my wrist using the flat part of his sword, he used every ounce of speed he has just to intercept me. "I'm faster-"

All of a sudden, a swift heel was smacked on Ross' cheek. He was launched towards the wall of the arena, with debris flying around.

Yehanna was responsible for doing that to my poor best friend. Even though it is undisputed that Ross is faster than me, Yehanna's flying kick remains to be the fastest.

I kicked the ground once again for a final leap. And then, I was able to touch Odette's heart.

"Eh!?" Odette's eyes widened when she saw a glowing magical circle on her chest.

"Dragon Seal Unlock!"

I twisted my hand, and pure mana flowed in the form of a white blinding flash.

When the flash faded, a magnificent creature showed her existence.

She is a twelve-meter-long fish-like dragon, with tiny fin-like limbs. Her whole body is coated with shiny pinkish-white scales, and her spine looked like soft feathers. On her head are two black drill-like horns that glowed with pink light. Her face is like a tamed lion, with soft whiskers and a giant pearl on her head.

She is a Pearl Dragon, a mystical being that is known for kindness and gentle heart.

The Pearl Dragon swam in the air, looking at her hands and a fish-like tail. She was astounded that a form this magnificent is her body.

"You did it! You unlocked her Dragon Form!" Princess Amaryllis was already at the arena when she said those words. She clapped happily and petted the Pearl Dragon. "How is it, Odette? How do you feel?"

"U-Um..." The Pearl Dragon briefly looked at me and blushed. Then she looked back at the princess and spoke with telepathy. "I don't know, but... I feel safer now."

"You should be!" Princess Amaryllis held her hips. "You're now a full-fledged Dragonoid Contractor of the Dragon Sage who saved my life!"

The Pearl Dragon shyly looked at me, and her face became redder. "U-Um, Lord Ulysses Corasell." She tried to have her fins touch each other, but it was too short. It's the very first time I've seen a shy dragon like her.

I'm fully aware that I'm the one that's making her nervous, so I decided to be a little friendly. I went closer to her and offered her my open palm.

Hesitant at first, the Pearl Dragon eventually pushed her head and let my hand touch her soft whiskers. It's as soft as silk and feels like I'm petting a fluffy dog groomed with high-quality shampoo and conditioner.

It didn't take long until the Pearl Dragon closed her eyes and started rubbing her face on my hands. She now behaves like a docile cat.

"You did it, Ulysses! I know you wouldn't disappoint me!"

It was Ross, who's back from the dead. Seriously, I thought he died due to that crash on the wall. But he turned out fine, except for that red shoe-mark on his cheek. He would look cool if it weren't for that mark.

"Ross is right!" Princess Amaryllis jollily hid her hands behind and pushed her face forward. "You never disappoint! Except for that pistol trick you did earlier."

"I'm just testing out that weapon, haha!" I scrached my head. 

Having no more replies to my talk made it a little bit awkward. All of them are just smiling at me. A lightbulb flashed inside my head.

"Something tells me that there's more to that fight." I frowned.

"That's right." Ross nodded. "Aside from the ritual, I wanted to test Miss Lancelot's abilities for myself. Now that I know how strong she is, I know that you're safe."

"Safe?" I titled my head. "From what?"

"From Deva." The princess answered with a glare.

I had goosebumps. I suddenly felt that the air around me became colder.

"From Deva?" I repeated.

Ross nodded. "We've heard that this Deva has been running amok and targets nobles. There are even reports that link Deva to the recent killings of the two Dragon Sages. Mary and I are worried that you might become the next target of Deva, so we tried to scout for more Dragonoid Contractors for your safety."

"Thankfully, my best friend Odette volunteered." Princess Amaryllis smiled like a kid. "Odette may not be a fighter, but she knows the secrets of healing magic. I have no doubts that Miss Lancelot can protect you, but Odette's powers will save you if ever you get in a pinch."

I am happy to have Ross and the princess as a friend. They thought of this and even put on an effort to strengthen my defenses against this noble killer named Deva. Little did they know that I don't need protection from this so-called assassin. Deva is right under their noses.

"Thank you for your efforts," I said with a smile. "But I don't think I'll be a subject to Deva's assassinations. I'm just a simple handsome man, doing some simple handsome work. I've heard that Deva's only targeting corrupt nobles."

"I won't be so sure, Ulysses." Ross shifted to a serious stare. "Deva is a murderer. A person like her who brings justice with her own hands is nothing but a genocidal maniac. She's a villainess who has a twisted sense of justice."

I noticed Yehanna shaking in the background. She's holding the handle of her katana tightly.

1