CHAPTER 40
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 40

It was already afternoon when Marina’s release papers have been signed. Now that I’m in charge of her interrogation, she can be free.

Yehanna is busily driving the car, while I and Marina am just staring at the windows, looking at the skyscrapers of the Central District. When our vehicle climbed the sky highway, I finally broke the awkward silence.

“Marina, I’m sorry about what happened to your men. I never knew that Prince Notes executed them on the spot.”

“Forty percent of my men have been lost due to the operation.” Marina sighed, making the car window on her side moist. “But we won. My men who participated in the operation knew that it would happen, but they just wanted the same thing: death to the killer of Benjamin Jogudra, our great boss. We’re lucky that most of the mafia escaped.”

I stayed silent. Yehanna briefly looked at me, and then she went back to driving. The car was again filled with awkward silence until Marina continued her explanation.

“It’s not your fault, Ulysses. You didn’t kill my men. We, mafia people, are criminals, remember? We live and die by the bullet. We should be grateful that you and Deva helped us to exact our revenge.”

“Fine, fine. I’ll no longer mull about it.” I smiled at the widowed beauty.

Marina chuckled in response. “Hey, Ulysses. Since we technically won during that last war, why wouldn’t we celebrate?”

“Celebrate?” I tilted my head.

“Come to think of it…” Yehanna joined in the conversation. “Uly, you owe me a drink, didn’t you?”

I forced my smile as I had a small flashback. Ah yes, I remember that promise with Deva. I made an oath to buy her some drink.

I grabbed my wallet and saw my crispy bills still stacked. I just withdrew from the bank earlier, so I’m rich for today.

“Okay then. Where do you want to go?” I asked.

“Odette told me a good drinking place.” Yehanna smiled. Then she pulled the brakes and made a sharp U-turn.

After twenty minutes of driving, we finally managed to land on an establishment at the edge of the Central District. It was a bar with a fancy billboard that indicate its name: The Six-Pack Bar.

After parking the car, Yehanna called Odette and asked if she was available at this time. After all, it was an unplanned night party, and we do not want the Divine Priestess neglecting her afternoon prayers just to drink liquor. After the call, Yehanna nodded at me.

I poured my mana on the floor at the mostly empty parking lot.

“With the power of my blood, I summon my Dragonoid Contractor!”

The magical circle glowed bright, and the divine priestess made her appearance. Contrary to the holy robes she usually wears, Odette is wearing a simple orange-and-white striped shirt and tight jeans. Nobody would suspect that she’s a conservative and religious girl.

“Lord Corasell, glad to see you alright!” Odette greeted. “Are you fully well? Did the doctors forbid you to drink?”

“There’s no way I’ll be prohibited to drink, idiot.” I patted Odette’s head. “How about you? Aren’t you too young to drink?”

“How rude! I’m already eighteen years old!” The petite pink-haired girl pouted. “Stop teasing me, Lord Corasell!”

“Ahaha, I’m sorry!” I laughed.

Odette’s attention switched to Marina who is just standing a few meters beside me. The pink-haired girl tilted her head and made a confused reaction: “Eh?”

“Oh, we haven’t told you yet, have we? She’s Marina Jogudra, the leader of the Mafia. We are currently interrogating her for more information about Deva.” Yehanna did the honors to do some impromptu explanation.

“Y-Yes, I know her. She fought against Lord Magnus, right?” Odette said.

I started sweating. “Wait, Odette… Did you see what happened back there?”

Odette shook her head. “No. One of the kids saw that Miss Marina surrounded Lord Magnus with her black flames. Other than that, the kid didn’t see anything anymore.”

“Oh.” I took a slow but deep breath. “Okay.”

All of a sudden, I heard my skull ring a voice. It was telepathy, and it was coming from Marina. “Did this girl doesn’t know anything about your secret?”

“Yeah. Please keep my secret from her. That also goes for Yehanna's secret.” I replied with my telepathy magic. “Odette is a pure, innocent, and kind girl. She does not deserve to be involved in the crimes we commit.”

“Gotcha.” Marina telepathically replied. She also nodded when I looked back at her.

“Wait…” Odette indulged herself in deep thought. “I know it’s not my place to ask, but is it really alright if Miss Marina joined us?”

“That’s the point, Ody!” Yehanna patted Odette’s shoulder. “The best way of interrogation is through a drink! You know that the old saying that drunkards never lie, right?”

“Uh-uh.” Odette obediently nodded. “I’ve never heard of that saying before, but I think I know what you are getting at. You want to be friends with Marina so that she will tell you her darkest secrets, right?”

“Right!” Yehanna jollily cried. “The best way to beat a criminal is to become her friend!”

“That’s… That’s awesome! You are a genius, Miss Yehanna!” Odette pumped her fists.

Marina and I just forced a smile as we just stayed in the background.

“Pure and innocent, right?” I telepathically asked Marina.

“Y-Yeah.” Marina telepathically replied.

After that small talk, we four went in front of the building. The bouncers made us surrender our phones and other prohibited things such as wands and magical equipment. Then the doors opened for us.

Loud sexy music blasted in our ears. Disco lights made dazzling colorful neon spots on the walls. We were still in the hallway, but the view of the stage of the bar made me want to go home already.

“I never thought that I would be treating you a drink in a place like this,” I muttered.

“Oh, so you wanted to have a one-on-one private drink with me?” Yehanna made a smug face. “We can do it anytime in the Lancelot Mansion.”

“I’m not talking about that, vixen. I’m talking about this place! Why are we drinking in a strip club filled with macho dancers!?” I cried.

That’s right. The Six-Pack Bar is a lively but clean place. There’s nothing wrong with this bar except that this is a macho-dancer strip club. Bodybuilders are dancing on a pole with boxers as their only clothes. The bar is filled with adult and middle-aged women who wanted to see some greasy sweaty muscles from guys who look like popcorn.

I haven’t even had a drink yet, but I think I’m going to puke.

Thankfully, we settled in the table which is the farthest seat from the stage dancers. We sat on the U-shaped long sofa that surrounded the wide glass table. A waitress went to us to get our orders.

“Ah!” Odette shrieked as she pulled out her wallet and presented a card: a membership card for Six-Pack Bar. “Um, is this still valid?”

“Yes ma’am! Twenty Percent discount, bottomless iced tea, and free French fries for every order!” The waitress replied.

“Great!” Odette cheered.

Meanwhile, Yehanna, Marina, and I just stared at Odette with disbelief. When Odette saw us staring at her, she blushed and bowed.

“You’re a regular here, Odette?” I asked.

“Y-Yeah…” Odette cried as she waved both of her hands. “D-Don’t misunderstand! I-I just signed in for the free French fries! And I was assigned here from the shrine to research women's behavior about male indecency! It was my thesis last year! Please believe me!”

We three just did nothing but stare at the “Divine Priestess” with doubt. Her innocence is not-so-innocent after all.

1