Chapter 12: Bedtime
38 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Princess Isalene went to the dinner, but asked Sharia to not follow her in. In fact, she gave Sharia the rest of the day off. Although Sharia didn't look like it, and neither did the Princess, Sharia was quite surprised about this. She did want to hear what the family meeting was going to be about but, an order is an order. So, with a small nod she turned around and made her way to her room. 

The hallways were quiet, and it seemed the sun had decided to retire early today, or at least the uncommon clouds decided to make it so. This actually got to the Warmonger, who looked at the windows with a gloomy expression. The sun was casting a red light in the darkness, making it seem like some part of the city was on fire. When she finally arrived at the stairs leading down to the level her room was on, she paused, thinking whether or not to go down, before turning around and walking forward, stopping at a balcony. She tried the doorknobs but, like she expected, they were locked. Cocking her head, she studied the keyholes before gently tapping one of them. Red magic briefly went out of her finger and wrapped around the doorknob before, with a click, it unlocked.

Stepping outside, Sharia took a deep breath before looking out over the city to her right. To the right of the palace, or left if you are inside, is a massive bunch of hills and trees, making a dense and rather untraversable forest that reaches through all the way to the back of the city, where the forest stops and the hills go into the large orange mountain that protects the back of the Kingdom's capital. Even though it looked nice from afar, it doesn't make for much of a great view up close. 

Even with how dark it is, the city lights and Sharia's sharp eyes made it so she can see quite the amount of details of the city in the distance, including the lights of the arena and even the small shape of the speaker standing on top of the arena's tower. After watching the city for a bit longer, she let out a sigh and gently settled her varasikara down, leaning it against the fancy railings, and reached around until she managed to grab one of the red flags. Bringing it around she stared at it, trying to think of why her master would send this now. It has been years, long and many years, since she has last seen anything from her master. In fact, the last time she saw her was when she lost that one battle...

"I guess it is my own fault though," Sharia remarked, running her claws on the flag, "I left her first, and I am aware of her new role."

A gush of wind blew by, shaking some of the trees as well as blowing the part of her flag that she grabbed out of her hands. She did not attempt to grab it back, instead closing her empty hand.

"...Did I really betray you that much? Did I really hurt you that much? I...I didn't mean to hurt your trust in me....I j-just...I just c-can't..."

Sharia let out another sigh, putting her hand on her helmet as she fought to gain control over her emotions. She shouldn't have lost control like that. She knows that the only one she can blame for her little outburst is herself, even if the strange sky made her think. 

'Now is not the time for this. In fact, it will never be the time for this.'

Letting out a hollow chuckle as she picked up her sword, she turned around and went back into the hallway, locking the door behind her with the same magic she used to open it.

 

 

 

 

--------

 

 

 

 

The training grounds was the same as she remembered it, or was when she first entered. The many fences and wooden barricades set up surrounding massive rectangular sand areas, better known as pits despite not being dug into the ground, that the soldiers train on, with red patterns like a target in each sand pits. Swords, shields, bows and arrows, and even armor and polearms lined the walls, ready to be grabbed and used at any time. Most of the weapons were not sharpened, even if the metal itself was already designed to be incredibly sharp. As long as no one hits someone with their full strength, especially at an unarmored location, the soldiers should be fine. 

The sound of fighting was a pleasant surprise to Sharia, who hasn't heard the sound of fighting for a couple of days now, and the sound of yelling, not hostile like that mostly heard in the arena. Stopping to take this in for a couple of seconds, she picked up a few things that were off. One is that the shouts were actually more hostile than she remembers, and that there was the smell of blood in the air, much thicker than normal. A frown formed on her face because of it.

It didn't take her long to find where the soldiers were training at. There were two groups, one belonging to some unknown Commander while the one closest to her also belonged to an unknown Commander, though this time she doesn't even remember ever seeing the army before. At first, she thought it was a new army, but after looking at their armor and weapons more clearly, she realized that they were an older army around the time she was in action with some newer upgrades done to their weapons and armor. 

Seeing them train brought back some pleasant memories, though those quickly went away upon seeing the other army train. It was all...wrong. They looked like they were trying to truly harm each other, and they were fighting for much longer than they should at their rank. She can tell what stage, or rank, they were by the golden rectangle on their helmet. There are four ranks, with the ranks coming off once training is complete, and these recruits, not soldiers, were at rank two. The way they are fighting is ineffective, with their bodies' healing ability being strained and damaged. Once the soldiers are sent out into the field, their bodies won't be able to heal as well, and that's not even mentioning the fact that their muscles won't be as strong nor reliable.

Seeing as no Commander is training with them, the new Rank Master* is responsible for their training style, and they are horrible at their job.

"So, you're Princess Isalene's new personal guard."

Sharia calmly turned around, spotting the man who called out to her sitting on the bleachers to her right. She hadn't seen him when she came in due to the watch tower that blocked him from her view. Getting a look at him, she knew right away that he is the Commander of the unknown army. He was a big man, with a bald head like Grillant, a brown and white goatee, and heavy dark grey armor and bardiche that is extremely similar in design to his army, even down to the scaled shoulder guards. 

Sharia didn't respond right away, instead waiting for him to make his way down the bleachers and over to her. Once he was a few feet away, he planted the pommel of his weapon into the ground, a friendly smile on his face. Sharia could tell right away that he was a bundle of energy, and could probably hold his liquor.

"...Yes," Sharia responded in a flat tone before turning around to continue watching the recruits train. 

Seeing her attitude towards him, the big man couldn't help but laugh, amused. He doesn't know who this person is exactly, but he could tell right away that they were no mere knight. Not only was she dressed like the knights of old, as well as being a female knight, which isn't allowed anymore, but the claws on her hands are from the time before the Kingdom withdrew from the Great War. 

"A knight from the old times, ehh? Where were you hiding all this time?" The man asked, poking Sharia's back. 

Sharia let out a sigh and turned around, assessing the man before her. Once she was done, she calmly unhooked her varasikara from her back and posted it on her shoulders. 

"Poking a warrior from the 'old times' is seen as a challenge. You do know that, right?" Sharia asked, not even bothering to hide how tired she is. The man before her was a battle junky, and not like her. He was cocky and arrogant, and would need to be put in his place if she wants to be left alone. She could just ignore him, but that just isn't her style. She'd much rather confront him and teach him a lesson now, even if she knows he might become a problem later because of this.

"Oh I know that. That was the whole point," The man said with a loud chuckle, "You seem much more of a challenge than any of the newer Commanders, or the old ones who have lost their touch."

Before she could catch herself, Sharia snorted and let out a little laugh. This man may be annoying, but at least he seems to have some things in common with her.

"Well then, I'll accept your challenge."

Sharia swung her weapon off her shoulders and flipped it, tightening her grip on the handle as she moved benches out of the way, making a rough, if not a bit small, ring for them. 

"Is this a duel to the death?"

The man instantly shook his head.

"No, and no maiming either. We fight until one of us admits defeat."

Upon saying this, the two seemed to come to an understanding, and Sharia's eyes shone with a flash of respect, mirrored by the man's own eyes. The two were both warriors of old, and both still here and not retired. Back in the old days, an old and highly skilled master was killed by one of his disciples during a mock battle. He was teaching the young disciple a harsh lesson during their duel, and despite defeating him, the master made the mistake and stumbled. In his anger, the young disciple attacked, killing the master. 

Ever since then, everyone around the time made extra sure that no duels would lead to their deaths. Today, the new warriors don't do such a thing, with more than a lot more than should ever be allowed fighting each other to the death for their own ego. Sharia is unaware, but the man knows all too well that the armies of the Kingdom are suffering because of it, with each Captain of Officer made, one or more are usually killed since the others think they are a danger to their position and aren't as capable as they are.

"What is your name, if I may ask?" Sharia asked, placing the tip of her weapon into the ground as well.

"Commander Johnson Gregory, also known as the Iron Commander, and leader of the Iron Lions Shock Army," Johnson answered with a small salute, "What's yours?"

"Sharia The Warmonger, former Commander of the Black Kulin Tearacloth Army and now Isalene's new Personal Guard."

The name caused a stir among a couple of the soldiers. By now, most of the soldiers under Commander Johnson stopped their training to watch the fight while only a few of the recruits stopped to watch. The two ignored the whispers and their audiences, their eyes glued to each other as they now got ready to fight.

"Warmonger, ehh? That's quite the title," Johnson said, taking the pommel of his weapon out of the ground, "But I don't think you don't fit it."

Sharia let out a slow chuckle, taking the tip of her blade off the ground and swinging it up on her shoulder blades once more.

"Thanks. I didn't choose the title, but I am not denying it either. It makes me who, and what I am," Sharia responded, the two now circling each other. 

"Well then. Please show me the strength of a legendary named Warmonger," Johnson challenged, pointing the tip of his bardiche at Sharia before settling into a fighting stance.

"As you wish," Sharia accepted, twirling her weapon once before settling into her own fighting stance, her right arm tucked in with her blade pointing at Johnson while her left was down low yet also tucked in, ready to support any action she might take.

The two stopped their circling at this point, their muscles tensing up as their senses heightened, picking up on any movements their opponents may make and anything that may interrupt their fight. The air grew thick with tension until the two completely froze. One second passed between them, that second a small eternity, before Sharia exploded forward. Her weapon clashed against Johnson's for a two moments before his arms buckled and gave away, earning him a scratch across his face as he dodged out of the way. The cut started to quickly heal but the raw strength of Sharia's attack shook him, his arms still a bit shaken. Fortunately, his arms quickly recovered and he rushed forward, shoving Sharia back, and hit her in the jaw with his pommel.

The hit did not do what he thought it would do. Sharia barely winced and didn't even let out a sound indicating pain. Instead, the only sound she did make was when she swiftly spun around and kicked him in the chest, letting out a small sigh and sending him flying out of the ring with her kick. 

Quickly recovering, he jumped back up on his feet and got ready to block any incoming attack. Instead of attacking him however, Sharia was beckoning him forward, still in the ring.

Letting out a jolly laugh, he walked back into the ring, ready to fight once more. Sharia doesn't fight like a knight, not only moving much faster than one, but being much more agile too. The kick she did is more in line of what he expects from a Zhanshi and a Demon, not from a knight from the Kingdom Faction. Then again, if she is a Warmonger, then she isn't a knight. There is also the fact that he felt her hold back on her kick. If she wanted to, that kick would have probably sent him twelve feet away instead of the five that it did. Sharia may be smaller than him, but both of her moves so far have proved that she is far stronger. 

Settling back into her fighting stance, Sharia awaited the challenge, a small smile hidden on her face.

 

 

 

 

........

 

 

 

 

Princess Isalene felt like she just did something she should never tell anyone...and now the source of the reason why she did it is right outside her door and causing her heartbeat to go crazy.

This all started after she asked to leave dinner before it finished, surprising everyone there. Normally she would spend as much time as she can with her cousin who rarely visits. The reason why Isalene did this is quite simple. She feels extremely weird ever since the bath. At first the feeling was barely there but, as the day went on, the feeling became worse. Once in her room, she pin-pointed the feeling from where it came from, and proceeded to do something she has never done before for the first time.

Once she woke up this morning, she noticed a slight stench in her room. It didn't take her long, about eight seconds to be exact, for her to connect the dots and jump out of bed. Stepping away from her bed, she looked out the window and noticed that it was still dark out. 

'Well, since it is dark out, no one will be around to see me change the sheets, right?' Isalene thought, recalling where the bin with her other sheets lay. 

So, moving as silently as she could without proper training and without using magic, she got out of bed and tip-toed to her door, and slowly opened it...and one might have already guessed what happened.

Standing on the other side of the door, waiting patently, was none other than Sharia.

"Planning on going somewhere...Isalene?" Sharia began before noticing just how red Isalene's face was, as well as the panicked breathing style she now had. It was enough to actually surprise the Warmonger.

"Are you, are you alright, Isalene?" Sharia asked, though it seems like she was questioning herself more. That was the case. She has never really felt anything towards the princess, and nothing of the sort of the feelings she should actually be feeling towards her while her personal guard. Now, she felt some concern for the princess? 

"If you're going to go out and see someone, Marcus if I am to guess, then go on ahead. I'm not stopping you."

This was probably the nicest-sounding thing she has ever said to Isalene, yet it fell on deaf ears. Instead, Isalene frowned upon hearing Marcus in Sharia's sentence. It did more than just a little annoy her, and for some reason she can't figure out why.

"Marcus? Why would I go and see him?" She asked, her voice giving away that she was annoyed, as well as the expression on her face. 

Sharia was taken back, as well as Isalene herself, from what she said, though for two different reasons. For Sharia, she thought that Isalene was in that kind of age where she would go and sneak out to see her lover, and that she is in love with Marcus enough to do that. Now, she isn't co certain.

Isalene was taken back because she realized she just threw a perfectly good excuse right out the window. Now, what will she tell Sharia if she asks what she was doing? What will she tell her?

However, despite Isalene's concerns, Sharia didn't ask again, causing a long and awkward silence that affected both parties. Just when Sharia decided she might as well ask anyway, Isalene reached out and grabbed her free left hand. She had an idea, and even though a part of her told her it doesn't make any sense, the other part just didn't care.

"Hey, you are my personal guard, right?" 

Sharia was a bit stunned by the sudden contact and took a look at Isalene's face, which could only be described as a blushing shy girl trying really hard to do something she really wants to do but is extremely embarrassed. In fact, one could even say that her actions, as well as she, were...

'....Cute.'

Realizing what she just thought, Sharia looked away and shook her head. Did she really just think that? Well, it makes sense she can feel feelings too, but she thought her annoyance and anger towards the princess would drown out any such thoughts. 

Before she could think on it more, she felt Isalene's grasp on her hand weaken and slowly peel off. It took her a moment to realize that she hasn't responded to Isalene and had instead just looked away and shook her head. Even if she doesn't like being the personal guard of the princess, she still has a duty to do. Her honor was at stake here, and honor is everything to someone in Nostalisk. So, before Isalene could let go of her hand entirely, she quickly yet gently tightened her grip and tried to get the words out of her throat, though they seemed to be a bit stuck.

When Sharia tightened her grip on Isalene's hand, it felt like the world froze. Isalene had no idea what was happening, but her head was all fuzzy and warm and, when she looked at Sharia's hand, she felt a nice feeling inside her chest that she has rarely felt before, and never this much. The feeling increased, as well as a subtle pounding in her head, when she slowly readjusted her hand so she was properly holding Sharia's once more. When Sharia finally spoke up, Isalene felt herself shiver from her voice, and she knew it wasn't out of fear.

"Yes, I am."

"...Then you can do your job better in my room, can't you?" 

All sound seemed to stop. Just when Isalene was about to call it off as a joke, she heard Sharia sigh and take a step forward, giving a small nod. Isalene knew that she was bothering her, but she just couldn't find it in her to do the right thing. So, with a happy little giggle, she led Sharia inside her room, forgetting about the reason she herself was sneaking out in the first place.

"Yes," Sharia responded, turning back

 

 

 

 

Rank Master: The person in charge of training the soldiers of many armies, especially in the capital. 

 

Sorry for the very late update and the short chapter. Hopefully I can get back to my old pace soon!

3