…Another Begins
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun beamed down on thousands of men, women, and children who lined the streets of Veyshtar. The people waved black flags bearing the emblem of Sea Scourgers. Flower petals drifted from people tossing them out from their homes. People cheered them on. Well, people who weren’t nobles.

Maybe it was the pleasant temperature. Maybe it was the legions of people watching him. Maybe it was the sheer importance of today.

But Mattiew Nikoliades had never felt like this before. His breaths were slow and easy. His muscles laid slack, not a drop of tension straining them. Everything seemed bright and colorful. Everything he did seemed delightful. Perhaps you might call this feeling...peace?

Whether it was better than anything he’d felt previously was still to be determined. But it certainly felt good.

Mattiew gained special permission to dress down for this ceremony. He wore his battle gear and black linens, the only splash of color being the bronze of his armor and the bright red sash he wore under his belt. He waved to people with a shield strapped to his arm.

He rode in a chariot, decked out in gold, bearing the insignia of the Sea Scourgers next to Adriana.

Ancient Kings, his wife had never looked so beautiful. She held his arm and waved to those on the other side of the road. Ever since the healers told her Reina would make a full recovery, she’d been extremely enthusiastic. About everything.

She wore a set of black linens that left her midriff bare, with her shoulder and neck plated in gold. A black cape draped from the neck guard, covering her upper arms, which were coated in gold and jewels.

The horses drawing the chariot took them on a parade route throughout the city, all the way to the Gridiron of Shai’tar and into the sandpit.

The stands were full of the noble families who didn’t quite know what to think of the stories they’d been told and Sea Scourgers, who cheered and let loose cries of victory for their captain as they entered the arena.

A massive staircase that had been set up just for this occasion led to the podium upon which the Keeper of Shai’tar usually stood.

Instead, Tiamat, Empress of Veyshtar, the seven other Emperors, and Alo’aharu stood atop it, awaiting Mattiew and Adriana.

As the chariot came to a stop, Mattiew stepped down from it before offering a hand to Adriana. She took it and they started up the stairs towards the kings.

Silence permeated the arena until they made it to the top step.

“Mattiew and Adriana Nikoliades.” Tiamat’s voice echoed throughout the Gridiron. “Take pride in yourselves. You have outwitted and outlasted every strife and challenge thrown at you. You have challenged impossible odds and attained victory over them. While we kings are aware of the manipulations you used to enter the Bellirex, we understand the context of the situation. And considering your achievements, we have elected to waive all charges against you and treat you as a legitimate contender of the tournament.”

“Thank you, your majesty.” Mattiew nodded.

“Each decade, we gather here at the site where the gods met their folly to celebrate the wonder and beauty of the human spirit!” Tiamat addressed the crowd. “Today, we have before us a prime example of those men and women who brought civilization into a new age all those centuries ago. Mattiew Nikoliades started from wretched beginnings, but has since shown just what humanity is capable of. He has waged the first war in millennia. But as a result, the corrupt and terrible slaver known as Andar Callione met his well-deserved end.

“In recognition of these achievements, I crown Mattiew Nikoliades as the king of Nevesha, named in honor of the fallen warrior, Dakkar Nevin. I crown Adriana Nikoliades as queen and regent of Nevesha.” Tiamat proclaimed. “Their Kingmaker, Alo’aharu, will now perform the rites of kingship.”

Alo’aharu stepped forward with a cushion, upon which sat two golden crowns. Mattiew and Adriana knelt before them.

“Mattiew and Adriana.” Alo’aharu started reciting from a ritual. “This undertaking before you requires the utmost passion and care. Do you swear to see that your kingdom and its subjects are always cared for?”

“We do.” Mattiew and Adriana said.

“Do you swear to always be open to collaboration with your fellow man, so that you may achieve the potential mankind offers?”

“We do.”

“Do you swear to reflect upon yourselves and expect no more from yourself or other than you are capable of giving?”

“We do.”

“Do you swear to make the tough decisions demanded of you, no matter how terrible a fate it may seem?”

“We do.”

“Do you swear to learn from those who came before and always ensure the mistakes of the past are never repeated?”

“We do.”

“Do you swear to always seek improvement in your knowledge and your conduct wherever you may find it?”

“We do.”

“Do you swear to stand firm and unwavering against the tides of darkness, even if doing so would cause your demise?”

“We do.”

“Do you swear, above all else, to dedicate yourselves to the pursuit of the impossible, to what the gods never dreamed to grasp and what they said we could never accomplish?”

“We do.” 

Tiamat stepped forward and took the crowns from the cushion. “Then we, under the powers of the eightfold pact, herby crown you King Mattiew and Queen Adriana.”

Mattiew let Tiamat fit one crown around his head, as did Adriana.

“Rise now, great ones.” Tiamat commanded.

Mattiew and Adriana stood, turning to face the crowd in the arena.

The Scourgers burst into applause and cheers. And one by one, the nobles joined in as well.

Adriana grabbed his hand, and after a moment of admiring each other’s faces, they kissed.

All of his dreams were finally in his grasp.

Mattiew looked off into the sky. His wife was by his side. His friends were at his back. And he now had the power to shape a new world from the old.

The next age was on the cusp of arriving. And while it felt conceited to say, Mattiew was the one boldly leading them into it.

There was a lot of work yet to be done, but he was more than willing to do it.

What a wonderful time to be alive...

King Thutmose, of Alazar, stepped forward. His head, framed by a white and blue headdress, was held high as he looked at Mattiew with a grin on his face. “I congratulate you on your victory, King Mattiew

“Thank you.” Mattiew bowed his head.

“But I have a question for us Emperors. Are we allowing Mattiew Nikoliades to be an exception to the Mandate of Peace?”

Tiamat frowned. “What are you talking about, Thutmose?”

“Mattiew Nikoliades has proven that war is a necessary function of human society in order for evolution to occur and to hold those in power accountable for their actions. As such, I declare war on the Kingdom of Nevesha. For destroying the Mandate of Peace.”

 

The End

0