Regis Morris
92 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

Lewis stood in stupor staring at the grinning dark-haired man before him. Never in his mind had he expected to meet one of the more well-known figures of Conant City in such a setting. Regis Morris was a hero to many people, especially from the lower and middle classes. 

His groundbreaking stories and investigations had pushed for massive positive changes for many of the factory workers in the Industrialization zone. Regis’ steadfastness in his journalism had also drawn praise from powerful figures from the government and parliament who championed better working rights.  

Interestingly, while much was known about Regis’ exploits, truly little was known about the man himself. According to many rumors, he was known to be a recluse and a perfectionist who disliked talking with people unless the focus was a story he wanted to pursue. Yet, here was the man before Lewis’ eyes smiling at him as if he had just played a prank! 

Could this be some sort of dream? This man before me is a famous journalist and the owner of the Citizens Chronicle? Lewis rubbed his eyes and let his shoulders fall. “What are you doing here, Mr. Morris?” he asked politely. The man standing in front of him was still his boss and he acted as if nothing was out of the ordinary. 

Mr. Morris’ grin faded when he replied, “I should be asking you this very question, Mr. Overton! You know the bloody reputation of the Lane, yet you still want to travel further into this place without a care for your wellbeing while trespassing?” 

The question was valid. Many of the residents of Conant City would only dabble onto the surface of the underworld. And what are you doing breaking into this house! Lewis looked at the man in disbelief when he finished those words and then he shrugged, “I have some unfinished business with the men in question in the house. They were doing some shady stuff and I wanted to see till the end of it.” 

  The man leaned back onto a nearby cabinet and did not say a word for a bit. He took out a pen and notebook and twirled the pen around his hands, “So you think curiosity is a perfect excuse to snoop around in a situation for which you clearly are unprepared for?” He finally said, “What do you think your family would react if you ended up being just another statistic or story reported in the press?” His voice rose to a crescendo as he stopped spinning the pen around his hands. 

There was an awkward silence as he chastised Lewis for his impulsiveness. Lewis only bowed his head and looked at his shoes, not daring to look up. Finally, there was a long sign from Mr. Morris, “Look, I am sorry if you took these words too harshly, just speaking from experience, you should never head into a situation if you truly are not sure about the stakes at hand. I am not here to babysit and for people who want to join our newsroom; they must realize what a dangerous business it can become!” 

He’s right, I shouldn’t have gotten stuck into this mess from the very beginning. Not when I realized that there were events happening that defied common sense! Lewis lifted his head and looked at his boss, “Thank you for this advice, “he said sincerely.  

The other man pursed his lips and placed his notebook back into his coat pocket before asking curiously, “I’m pretty good at tricking other people, how did you know that it was me?” He resumed his twirling of the pen as he prepared to listen. 

Lewis took a deep breath, “You fooled me when you first left the building, but I realized that there were a few facts that didn’t quite line up when you spoke to me previously.” He pulled out one of the chairs and sat upon it while reflecting on his story. “Your excuse for why the lights were on at the third-floor building did not make sense at all. That led me to conclude that you were either Sinclair or Mr. Morris. You also seemed to have left in a hurry to try and avoid meeting any other people who would have recognized you. I still do not understand how you were able to throw me off with such a simple lie during our previous dialogue though.  

Mr. Morris merely chuckled, “True, I realized that David or Steph was going to come in a few minutes, and I’d rather not meet them. Unfortunately, lies made in great haste do not usually hold up well if one thinks into the circumstances, especially if a person is talented at picking out inconsistencies.” He looked pointedly at Lewis when he said the last few words. 

He’s avoiding the subject; how did he suppress my questioning of the existence of the lights so easily? Is he trying to lead me onto something without saying it? Lewis pondered those words briefly and continued, “When I was looking through your papers, I also noticed a symbol that also corresponded to one of the papers that Ira was carrying.”  

He jerked a finger downstairs to indicate the person, and Mr. Morris' eyes flickered in understanding. “I remember Ira was talking about how he worked in a factory concerning rubber and steel, which allowed me to recall your previous articles about that subject.” 

Mr. Morris raised his hands in mock surrender, “Guilty as charged. I’m assuming you know that I am still investigating the circumstances surrounding that corruption charge?” He looked at Lewis, his eyes showing a new light,” You know, Lewis, you have a fairly good head on top of those shoulders when it comes to analysis, random adventures aside. I’m impressed with your deductive reasoning.” 

Lewis nodded in thanks and said, “The last piece that allowed me to identify you was when David mentioned that you had long messy hair which you clearly did not. In addition, David pointed out your proclivity with playing pranks. Something like this is to be expected.” 

  “David, you damned bookworm,” Mr. Morris swore aloud as if the red-headed writer was standing right beside him, “You know I have to do this to prepare myself when it comes to digestion.”  

Lewis waited for the other man's outburst to end before asking something that had been nagging him ever since the whole conversation started, “How did you sneak up on me when I was looking at the potions and where were you hiding?” I double-checked the room before I even mustered the courage to walk down. How did I miss him?  

The dark-haired man gestured towards the top corner of the room and said,” I was up in that room upstairs with you the whole time listening to that delightful conversation earlier. Once you snuck in, I just walked beside you and hid next to the cabinet when you looked around.”  

“You were upstairs the whole time Mr. Morris?,” if not for their surroundings, Lewis would have screamed in shock. Lewis prided himself as a careful person when it came to evaluating the general safety of the room and he never noticed the secondary presence in the upstairs room. If he was in that room with me and I never noticed, then I’m not as good as I thought I was 

Mr. Morris placed a finger to his lips, “Shh, you are speaking a little too loudly for my comfort. Do not go overboard but, I was also upstairs in that room with you, during the last meeting with Mr. Beckett a few days ago” 

Initially, Lewis was at a loss for words. Internally, he was screaming in shock. How did he conceal himself the whole time in that room? I double-checked all the closets and wardrobes before listening in. Then, he managed to ask, “Y–you mean, the one where Mr. Beckett shot that man?” 

Mr. Morris took in his stutter as fear towards the event and said,” Yes, I was there when Mr. Beckett shot poor old Clifton. I was impressed by your boldness but also angry at how carelessly you put yourself in danger when you saw what was happening. Coming back here should have never been your option.” 

The pieces are starting to fit together, but that doesn’t explain how Mr. Morris was able to sneak around without me noticing or somehow fool me into believing his tattered lies. I suspect there is some supernatural work at play here! The key lies in those potions sitting at the table!

Lewis bowed his head and began to ask, “Can you explain how you convinced me into believing that the lights were still on? There was some sort of strange suppression on my mind”  

“Stop!” Mr. Morris held out his hand to prevent Lewis from speaking further. His face tightened, “I know what you want to truly ask, and I can explain it without you trying to lead me onto some convoluted path. Ask away before you- 

He stopped and cocked his head, “Do you hear that?”  

Confused, Lewis looked around and tried to listen in on whatever the other man had just heard, “Hear what?” he asked, straining his ears, all he could hear was the wind blowing against the windows 

“I hear absolutely nothing”, Mr. Morris moved around carefully to the door leading down the basement, “I was keeping an ear out for any sudden movements towards us and now I just hear silence from the men downstairs.”  

“Should we run?” Lewis nervously asked, he got up from his chair, grabbing onto the rungs for support. I knew I shouldn’t have left my revolver back at home. Now would be a great time to have a weapon on hand! 

“No, I don’t think they were able to notice our presence so we should be safe for now,” Mr. Morris looked back at Lewis, his eyes zeroing in on his partially bloodied nose and his face paled at what he saw. “Crap, how could I have been so blind! they know there are intruders in the house!  

Lewis watched the man rummage through his coat before tossing an object towards him. He caught in and looked at it- it was a revolver and a white rag. “What am I supposed to do with this?” he asked while reflexively checking the contents of the gun, the current events were happening a little too fast for him to process. 

“Wipe off that dried blood with the rag I just gave you,” Mr. Morris said frantically, “You know what to do with a gun. Just try to stall them, since they know you are here, I will be providing support from the dark!” He took out another gun and leaped up the stairs nimbly. 

Lewis wiped off his nose hurriedly, Are those men like bloodhounds or something? He took cover behind a table and pointed the gun at the door just as it burst open. Without any hesitation, he pulled the trigger of the revolver. Now! 

Bang! 

The sound of the gun firing reverberated through the room and a scream soon followed. Lewis’ fingers trembled before he stabilized it with his other hand. Peeking over the table, he had seen the silhouette of a man falling back down the stairs when he fired the gun.  

All I must do is make sure nobody comes from that doorway and I should be fine! He pointed the gun at the natural chokepoint and fired again once he saw a face peek up. The man ducked down and returned fire. Both men retreated to hide under their respective defensive positions. The room was silent once again except for the occasional warning shot from either side. 

Suddenly, gunfire erupted from the opposite direction and Lewis threw himself away from the table when he saw bullet holes piercing through the cover. He could see several large men rushing from the other end of the hallway, there was a caped man closely following behind their backs. It was Mr. Beckett! There must have been another entryway from the basement below! 

Shit, I’m going to be shot in the back if I try running, Lewis cursed, for the umpteenth time of the day, he lampooned his choice of eavesdropping on the conversation between the men. He stood up quickly, his hands raised to show his harmlessness. “Alright, I surrender!” he called out. Judging from the previous conversation between that bearded man and Mr. Beckett, the latter seems to be the type who likes reveling in his power before he acts. I can buy some more time! 

“Hold your fire!”Mr. Beckett called out angrily, “Shoot him only if he tries to make any sudden movements,” and the men lowered their guns reluctantly as they formed a semicircle around Lewis. Lewis heaved a sigh of relief. His hunch was right, otherwise, he would have ended up filled with lead if he kept shooting. 

The white-haired man looked viciously at the young man, “So, you are the little eavesdropper who injured two of my men?” He dropped his hands to reveal several serrated knives and assorted wires and said “Let me tell you once, I don’t like liars, so choose your words very carefully” 

“Yes, I am,” Lewis said calmly, his eyes swiveling around to take count of the situation. He suppressed his worried thoughts, forcing them to draw away from the danger he was facing. 

Lewis could see that there were eight men facing him at about a distance of five meters. All but one of them carried a handgun, the last man, who had reddish eyes, held a large steam rifle that was already fully cocked and loaded. His last path of escape was through the window behind him, yet there was no way of him leaping through the glass fast enough before he was shot.  

“I thought so, I could sense a little pathetic worm trying to break into my house.” the man threatened Lewis, “By the way, I have men stationed outside of the building as well. Do not even think about escaping me!” 

Lewis nodded again and the man lowered his shoulders and pointed to his nose, “I can smell your fear of death through your blood, so do not try to delay anything. Tell me, when was the first time you started spying on me?” 

“Three days ago, during the morning hours of the Underway,” Lewis answered promptly.  

“Very good, I like it when people are truthful?” Mr. Beckett smiled eerily, “Now who was it that sent you to spy on me and explain the circumstances of what happened?” 

“Nobody, I noticed Ira some time ago and decided to follow him to this house out of curiosity,” Lewis said. If there is any method of him spotting lies, this should pass since it technically is true! Dammit, where is Mr. Morris? He continued, “Ira had drawn my eye since people around here normally don’t act that strangely around the market guards” 

Lewis could see Me. Beckett’s eyes flicker sideways at the man carrying the steam rifle when he answered back. The man shrugged with uncertainty and shook his head. “So, you don’t really know anything about what is happening,” the white-haired man said with disappointment in his voice, “Last question, what is the result when an eavesdropper spies on the confidential business of good citizens?” 

Fuck, he is going to kill me! I did not think it would be this fast! Sorry, Mr. Morris, but I can’t delay this any longer, he could see Mr. Beckett draw out a thick barreled handgun. “Uh death?” he managed to say. 

“Correct answer,” the man lifted his gun and pointed it at Lewis, his fingers tightened over the trigger.

 

Authors Note: Listened to Myth & Roid, Forever Lost, when I was reading Lord of the Mysteries. I think it matches the horror/mystery theme perfectly. Here's a link for anyone who wants to hear it 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SEhUVLRhIg

 

3