13. Mabe Village
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the duo galloped along, Rain felt like she was going to be sick. She hated any kind of fast movement. So she tried to focus on passing objects. To her left she saw Laynaru Wetland. She wondered how the people in Goponga Village were able to live in wet conditions. Rain had many questions about Hyrule that she wanted answered. She certainly wasn't going to ask her traveling companion, General Oliviea. However Oliviea wasn't stupid.

“You may speak. What is it you wish to ask?” Oliviea questioned Rain. Rain was quite nervous to ask the General anything.

“Do you live at the castle? What's it like inside? Where are you from?” Rain didn't mean to ask personal questions! She meant to ask about the landscapes. Oliviea grunted and smirked.

“A curious one aren't you? Also quite bold of you to ask. I am the commanding officer at Fort Hebra way up in the northern mountains. I don't normally come this way but I had to met with the General at Fort Hateno. And I hate going to the castle. The generals there are too soft for my liking. They have know clue of what Hyrule is actually like. I'm originally from Akkala. My family holds power in that region given to them by the king. By brother, Major Alex is currently stationed at the Akkala Citadel. I have three other sisters who live at home with our parents.” Rain was astonished. “Now tell me about your family.”

“Well I have a younger brother and a younger sister. Yoshio wants to become a Sheikah warrior and Hotaru stays home with our mother growing flowers and pumpkins. Our father is away at the castle, you might have heard of him. He's the leader of the Sheikah soldiers. Colonel Sou.”

“Hmph. I've heard of him alright. He’s quite the character. Oh by the way we are now entering central Hyrule. We're halfway there.” They rode on Rebonae Bridge that crossed the Hylia River. Rain couldn't believe that they were almost there. She had packed enough food for two days, what was she going to do with it? Because of the fast pace they were traveling at. Rain’s point of view on horses was starting to change. However she still didn't like the speed they were traveling nor that her hair was getting messed up. It also didn't help that Oliviea’s long blond hair was flowing behind her, sometimes hitting Rain in the face. But she was too scared of the general to ask anymore questions. Let alone asking her to do something about her hair. The castle was growing closer and closer as they now entered Mabe Prairie. “We are going to stop at Mabe Village.” Oliviea shouted back to Rain. Sure enough as they moved around a bend in the road Rain saw in the distance was a small village and south of that what looked like to be a ranch. As they got close Oliviea slowed Ross down, her horse, to a trot. 

“What are we doing here? Surely you could have stopped in the castle town.” Rain pointed out to the general.

“You will not ever question me again.” Oliviea snapped at Rain as they rode into the village. There was a fountain in the middle which is where they stopped. Oliviea got down off her horse and waited for Rain to get off as well. Ross was a huge Snowflake horse and Rain was now really worried of falling and breaking something. “What's wrong? Get down!”

“I don't think I can.” Rain said back at her

“Fine.” Oliviea walked over to Rain and held out her arms as if to catch her. “Put both legs on one side of the horse and just slide off. I'll catch you.” Rain felt at ease and carefully put both legs on the same side and carefully slid down. However Oliviea retracted her arms and started walking away leaving Rain to free fall. “I don't have time for your lollygagging. Wait here and look after Ross. Make sure she drinks some water.” And with that the general walked over to a short lookout tower made out of stone and disappeared inside. Rain was left to horse sit which she did not enjoy. She sat down on the edge of the fountain and looked around the village. It was peaceful. There were a few people out and about tending to small stands selling produce, textiles, and various other things. Rain wanted to have a look around so they took Ross’ reins in hand and headed over to a food stand. 

“Good afternoon traveler. What can I get for you today?” Said the store keep. Rain looked around at all the various fruits out in baskets all over the stand. 

“What's that one?” Rain pointed to a round prickly melon of some sort.

“Oh that's a Hearty Durian. Came all the way from the Faron Jungle. Fare warning the smell will clog up your nose for days. But all in all, it's still very tasty.” Rain looked at the strange fruit. But thought it best to move on.

“Here take this.” The man handed Rain a swift carrot. “For your horse. She looks like she's hungry.”

“Oh thanks and Thank you for letting me look.” Rain waved and walked away. She looked at the carrot and then looked at Ross who was staring at the carrot. Rain held out the carrot and immediately Ross took a big bite out of it. Getting scared and not wanting to get her fingers bit off. She dropped the carrot and Ross bent her long neck and finished the rest off the ground. They walked over to the next stand which had a bunch of fish and various meat all separated accordingly and sitting on ice. 

“Hello there ma’am. Anything catch your eye?” Said the woman in the store.

“Oh I get it. Catch, like in fish!” Rain laughed.

“Glad to know someone enjoys my jokes.” The woman smiled. “Where are you traveling to?”

“I'm going to the castle to become an apprentice!" Rain said.

“I wish you luck. My eldest son wanted to become a scholar too. So off he went to the castle. And after two weeks, they turned him away. Crushed his poor heart.” The woman shook her head, sad for her son. Rain was now getting more nervous. Even though she wanted to be a scientist and not a scholar she was worried that she would be turned away. "Thank you for letting me look."

“Yup, have a good one.” the woman waved goodbye as Rain headed away. Rain looked back at the fountain and there was still no sign of General Oliviea. So she decided to walk around the village some more. As she walked she saw there was a small library. Rain just had to go inside. She tied Ross to a post outside and walked in. The library was a little dark and the only light that shined in was from windows in the front. 

“Welcome Sheikah traveler. Can I help you find something?” Said a old woman who walked up to Rain. She must be the librarian.

“Oh I was just looking around. But now that you ask, do you have any books on the old Sheikah technology?” Rain asked. The woman scratched her head and thought for a moment.

“I don't think I have any books about those. However, if you look over here, you might find something of interest to you.” The old woman started walking to the left corner of the library and Rain followed. They approached a glass case that had a strange looking orb in it. “It is said that this was once the eye of an ancient mechanical creation.” said the woman as Rain peered into the case she got so close that her nose was almost touching the glass.

“I believe you're right. This object does indeed look to be the eye of a Guardian. Ancient beings created to protect Hyrule. How did you come by it?” Rain looked at the old woman in wonder.

“My late husband, Shusuke, used to work at the Akkala lighthouse and was walking through Tumlea Forest when he found it peeking up through the ground. Rain stared at the artifact for quite some time. “My husband was a Sheikah like you. He would often take long trips into remote parts of Hyrule looking for the long forgotten mechanical guardians. I can see you both share an interest. Oh how he would ramble on about his theories and write all he found in his journal.” The old woman walked away to one of the dusty bookshelves and came back with an equally dusty book. “This is his journal. Please take it. It shouldn't be wasting away in this place.” She handed Rain the journal. She thanked the woman over and over.

“Thank you so much ma’am I-” SMASH. The door to the library was kicked open and looming in the doorway was a very pissed off Oliviea.

“There you are! Do you know how long I've been looking for you?!” Oliviea stormed in and grabbed Rain by her ear. “I told you to wait by the fountain!” The old woman perked up as she saw Oliviea enter the library.

“Oliviea is that you? It's so good to see you again and see how much you've grown.” The old woman walked up to Oliviea and held the hand that wasn't holding onto the squirming Rain.

“Hello Ms. Nina. It’s been a long time. How are you holding up?” Oliviea bent down and hugged her. “Has your father asked you to teach Catherine in the winter again?”

“Oh yes. I got the letter last week. Catherine is such a sweet girl. I remember teaching you when you were a little one too. Such a joy you and your siblings are.” Rain looks between the general and Ms. Nina, very confused. “Oliviea is this young girl in trouble?” 

“Oh don't worry about her. I’m escorting her to the castle. Speaking of which we must be heading out. I'd like to get to the castle before it gets dark.” Oliviea said letting go of Rain’s ear.

“Whenever you're back in Mabe Village feel free to stop in. I always enjoy serving you and your family.” Ms. Nina and Oliviea hugged one more time before they walked out the door. Oliviea scolded Rain, almost throwing her up on Ross. Once Rain was on the horse she carefully tucked away the husband’s journal in her traveling bag. And when Oliviea herself was up on the horse the two headed off once again.

0