15. Kerfuffles of All Sorts
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was now ten o'clock in the morning and Rain was on a wagon heading to the Royal Laboratory and was trying very hard to keep herself awake. She had read Shusuke’s journal deep into the night and into the early morning. In fact she didn't fall asleep until the sun started to rise at five in the morning. Her father had woken her up at seven to eat breakfast with him before he headed out to the castle. But before he left he told her information about how she was getting to the lab.

“Early this morning I called out for your escort to the Laboratory. You will be riding with Mr. Barry, the local butcher who has a delivery to make at the lab. You will meet him at nine thirty at his shop in the south east part of castle town. You might remember him. He's a good friend of mine. Do you remember that he would take you and your sibling around town to give your mother and I some alone time.” Sou reminded his daughter at breakfast.

“Yeah I remember and he'd come over for dinner once during our stay and bring us kids a small toy. And when I grew out of toys he'd bring me small books.” Rain remembered Barry. He was a big man with short scraggly blonde hair, who used to work for the Hylian military where his nickname was Barry the Chopper. He got that name back in the day when he single handedly defended a small town, wielding nothing but two butcher knives, out in Tabatha Village from a horde of monsters. He was a little scary but he was funny. The jokes him and her father would tell were some of the best.

At nine thirty she walked through town to the butcher shop where she saw Barry was packing up a wagon. When he saw Rain approach his voice rang through the street.

“Well look who it is! Hey there kiddo, long time no see! Your old man told me you've come to be a scientist? We’ll have to catch up on the way to the lab, I gotta get those science people their meat order to be able to feed themselves.” He approached Rain and ruffled her hair. The both boarded the wagon and set off down the streets of town and out through the west gate. Rain fixed up her hair from the damage Barry had caused to it. He talked almost all the time, only stopping when Rain was answering a question. Around eleven they entered the Breach of Demise. A crevice in the earth where it is said that at the very beginning the ancient demon king arose from the ground, creating the breach, and started plundering the land. 

They were half way through the landscape when Barry halted the wagon and stopped talking.

“What's going on?” Rain asked. But Barry just covered her mouth with his hand and continued to listen to the surrounding area. Suddenly out of nowhere five Bokoblins jumped out from their hiding spots from behind the rocky terrain. Barry sprung into action reaching back into the wagon and pulled out two huge butcher knives.

“I wondered why everything was so quiet! We’ve got ourselves a little fun!” Barry jumped out of the wagon and started charging the pig monsters. Rain covered her eyes. She heard the stories of Barry the Copper and knew how bloody everything would get. For when Barry was in a fight he legit went crazy. Probably another reason why he retired from military duty. Rain could hear Barry laughing and talking the whole time he was fighting. After a few minutes everything was quiet. Rain uncovered her eyes to see Barry getting back onto the wagon. His shirt was covered in blood that slowly disintegrated into purple smoke.

“Those damn things keep coming back into this place no matter how many times I chop them up.” Rain was absolutely stunning. Barry didn't even hesitate. She was glad that once monsters were killed their bodies would disappear into thin air because she didn't want to see what they would look like after Barry was done with them. “Just remember kiddo, don't let monsters go threw you. You go through them first.”

Eventually the wagon came upon a T in the road and they took the right path. Leading uphill. Quite suddenly the Breach of Demise ended and opened up into a grassy hillside. The sun was beaming down and off in the distance rising above a hill. Rain saw smoke. As the wagon left the main road and down a side path. They rode around a hill and that's when Rain saw a big stone building. Her dream was right in front of her! Once she was a scientist she would have access to everything she needed to learn about ancient technology and begin to help the kingdom.

Berry dropped Rain off at the front door to the laboratory. He said goodbye then rode his wagon away to the other side of the building. Taking a deep breath, Rain reached out for the doorknob, turned it then walked inside. She entered a hallway brightly lit, not by candles but by a glass hole in the ceiling. At the end of the halfway there was another door. As she approached this next door a strange smell overwhelming her nose. She opened the door and suddenly a cloud of smoke spilled out. From inside the room she saw the silhouettes of people running around.

“Quick open the door!” Someone shouted, running past Rain and opening the front door. Rain jumped to the side as more people ran outside covering their eyes while other held materials of all sorts. Someone walked up to Rain and shoved a large paper fan in her hand. 

“Start fanning everything outside. We can't let this contaminate anything else!” The cloud was so thick she couldn't make out any of this person's features. Before she could say that she didn't work here the person had already disappeared into the room. With no other choice she did what she was told. Stepping into the cloud, her eyes began to burn. 

“Where are your goggles?!” Someone grabbed Rain's shoulders “Here put these on!” She felt something being put over her face by an unseen person. What in Hylia’s name was happening?! Once she readjusted whatever was on her face she was able to see much better into the cloud. She began fanning all around her hoping that she was helping. After about 20 more minutes of this, the strange cloud finally disappeared from space. People started coming back into this specific part of the building and getting back to work. She lifted the goggles up from her face and took it off her head. Holding it into her hand she saw they looked like chameleon eyes. 

“Who are you?” Someone tapped Rain on the shoulder and she saw it was a tall Sheikah man who had surprisingly short, wavy, fluffy hair with the ends dyed pink. He had similar goggles on top of his head. He repeated himself “Ma’am, do you need something?” His voice was very patient but Rain didn't recognize him, she had to remember not all Sheikah grew up or lived in Kakariko village. 

“I'm Rain.” She reached into her pocket and handed this man the letter from her mother and the elders. “I'm here to be a scientist.” 

The man took the letter and opened it, reading it very carefully. Once he was finished he looked up at Rain.

“I'm Randy, first assistant director here at the Royal Laboratory. It’s nice to meet you Rain, follow me.” He smiled at her as he shook her hand. “We haven't had someone join our ranks in awhile. It's good to see a new face.” And with that he turned around and walked further into the room. Rain quickly followed behind. Randy kept walking through multiple rooms. Making sure to look in every one thoroughly as if he was looking for someone. Rain’s brain was running with questions and her eyes were wide with amazement. The smartest people in all of Hyrule in one place! How cool! Eventually Randy walked up to a woman by a bookshelf and asked. “Where is the director and second assistant?” Rain couldn't hear what she said back. Randy waved to Rain to gestor her to continue following. He then walked out a door to the outside. Rain saw the castle in the near distance. She wasn't paying attention, and didn't see that Randy had run off. But before Rain had noticed he had left he was already walking towards her with two new people. One was a female with bright red hair held up in a yellow ribbon. And the other was a tall and well structured man with short brown hair and light facial hair. “Rain, I'd like to introduce the laboratories second assistant director Amelia and our fearless leader Director Randolph.” Rain shook both of their hands.

“It's wonderful to meet you.” Rain politely bowed to the three directors.

“Ms. Rain, welcome to the laboratory. Randy briefly informed us that you are here to work.” Director Randolph asked Rain.

“Yes Sir. My goal is to be able to help the kingdom by inventing mechanisms using the ancient Sheikah technology.” Rain saw one Randolph’s eyebrows raise.

“That topic has been forbidden for generations. We must follow the rules placed down before us.” Randolph relayed information that Rain was already new. Her face became hot with anger. She did not come all this way to be told no. Randolph clearly saw Rain’s mood change and started to laugh. “You're a very easy person to read, young lady. I can tell you are not happy with my words. But I didn't say no. Here at the lab we like to break the rules as long as it's not harmful to the Kingdom, all research is welcome. I will now let Amelia explain your test.” Rain felt a bit embarrassed that the director could read her so easily. Amelia walked up to Rain and shook her hand again.

“It's so great to have a fresh mind so full of passion for science and technology. Three years ago I took a group to go explore the forest north of the great Hyrule forest to research the ancient Zoni tribe. There we found signs that the Sheikah were there. I'll have to show you the research we brought back.” Amelia had a very spunky personality, she was a very excited individual. “Now here at the lab we give what some call a test. But it's more of a trial. You will have fourteen days to prove you have what it takes to work here. On the final day you will present your findings and there we will decide if you will stay or if you will leave. During your trial you will be given a dorm room, meals will be provided, and all equipment will be accessible for you to use. If you wish to travel outside of the surrounding areas you will be provided the necessary materials. And finally welcome to the team.” Rain was shocked at how much they were going to let her do. She felt like she could get away with anything!

“Thank you so much! I won't let you down!” Rain bowed again trying to hold back her tears of happiness.

“Hurray!” Amelia jumped up and down “Lets go! I’ll show you around!” Amelia grabbed Rain’s hand and rushed back inside.

Rain begins her journey, researching to her heart's content. At this point we have met the brave Hylian Knight Tristan, the Hylian Prince Archer, the fierce Gerudo Warrior Trico, and the clever upcoming Sheikah Scientist Rain. The story now takes a turn as we now focus on Tristan. As his knight ceremony approaches.

0