Chapter 6: Tranquility and Ambition
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In which Diran is confronted by Officer Welvet and Lady Poranda.

Diran only recovered his senses when he heard a loud slam, and then he was alone in the room again. In a panic, he scrambled to his feet and nearly collapsed once more. He struggled with his clothes, which had become very heavy and stuck to his body like mud. Patting himself down, he reached into a pants pocket and verified the comforting embrace of the silver thread.

It was his unfortunate understanding that it was his hair that uncovered his deception and he resolved that he might be more careful when accepting hospitality in future. Nevertheless, it was then his immediate objective to escape, lest he face some stern wrath from his erstwhile gracious host.

Heaving a great sigh, Diran pushed open the door with such caution that it creaked long and soft. He prepared himself to dash away when a voice to his right, from down the hall, interrupted his thoughts. “Excuse me?” It was Lady Poranda, whose company he did not feel blessed to be in. He did not think but turned away from the voice, to his left, and then his legs set him in motion.

But he was not three steps when, before him, he spied the figure of Welvet, whose blue coat was almost hidden in the shadows of the dim hallway. Diran nearly cried out but stifled himself as his head turned to and fro. For a brief instant he thought to cast himself through the window that stood across the hall, but before he could act on his impulses, Welvet’s commanding voice barked in his ears, “Leaving so soon, Diran?”

The chilling, amicable tone petrified the man and, although he felt his lips part, nothing but air came up from his chest. Lady Pomera, who sounded a little livelier than before, spoke up, “Come, won’t you at least stay for dinner?” Diran thought of one thousand reasons why not to do so, but not a single way to express his thoughts. So, still tense, he turned to the lady and nodded, “Uh, yes, I’d like that very much.”

So, the three headed down the hall, the same direction he had been led by Nomil, whose then-absence he only noticed when, from down the hall, he spied her by a set of wooden doors, apparently awaiting their arrival. As they neared, she opened a door and released into the air a grand aroma that assailed Diran’s reason.

Emerging into a lovely and well-lit hall, Diran beheld an array of dishes that had been set out on a long oak table. Lady Poranda said kindly, “Come, sit down and we’ll talk over dinner.” Nomil stood by the door and there seemed little reason to resist, so Diran made his comfort at the table and, in addition to some fine crimson wine, saw a great number of baked fish which had been curiously decorated with some green herbs. Their scales glistened like many rainbows and their eyes were bright as if they had, not too long ago, swam freely. It was only on seeing the grand meal that he noticed his own hunger, for he had not dined for a long while.

“So, Diran,” Welvet began, “what brings you here?” For a moment, Diran thought to maintain his ignorance but a look into Welvet’s eye robbed him of his illusions and he spoke plainly, “I’m here by accident.” His response raised eyebrows and he felt pressured to continue, so he reached into his pocket and produced the silver thread.

He continued and related his journey thus far in broad terms, omitting the true identity of the one on whose wind he had flown; he spoke between bites of fish, which, although luxurious, had their more delicate flavors muted by his alertness. The tale elicited reactions of surprise and then intrigue in the other two and they only periodically interrupted to ask for elaboration.

When he had finished, relating how he had awoken before the great hall where he came upon Welvet, he paused and took a sip of wine which wetted his throat nicely. Lady Poranda was the first to speak up and she asked, “Then, you seek still to find a way to the upper realm?” Her question elicited him a deep sigh which seem to carry with it a day’s worth of thoughts. He said, “Yes, I long still for that illustrious land that I have yet only glimpsed from below.”

At that, there was yet more silent contemplation. Then, the lady exchanged glances with Welvet, on whose face a smile had grown, and she said simply, “Then we shall aid you.” Diran was caught off guard by the turn of events and nearly shot to his feet, “But why?” Welvet nodded sagely and answered matter-of-factly, “Because we who exist in-between are close enough that it is often we, too, long for that golden spire.”

“Then why, if the promise of paradise is to you as enticing as to myself, do you persist where you are?” Diran eyed the two with yet more suspicion, but Lady Poranda spoke to ease his concerns, “See around you, Diran, the fruits of labor.” He followed her finger about the room and gazed upon fine glassware, yet more luxurious food. It was a fine, well-lit, and comfortable abode. She continued somberly, “Few of sound mind dare abandon tranquil home for unknown ambition. But you, I feel, have a spirit so aroused that you might indeed carry yourself all the way to paradise. And so, we shall render you aid in your quest.”

Welvet nodded his assent, “Many years of plunder have yielded a great fortune for myself but there is now no child left within me who yearns for adventure into which I might pour my gains.” He heaved a great sigh and removed his hat, scratching a balding head wearily.

Diran, having been convinced by the two, pressed them, “Then what will you do for me?” His eyes began to glow with hope that he might, with such sponsors, yet seek out his Atlantis once more. Lady Poranda replied, “There is yet a way for you to make your way upwards. However, the day is late and necessary preparations must be made. You should retire to one of our beds and we shall be with you in due time.”

It was at the mention of the time that Diran felt exhaustion overtake him and so he nodded his assent. The lady motioned to Nomil, who stood by the door, and said, “Please take Diran to a bed where he might rest the night.” The maidservant nodded and handed him a lit candle, saying, “Then, sir, please come with me.” It did not escape Diran’s ears that the tone she took was strange, but he carried on down the hall in her tow.

As before, Nomil did not speak as they walked and Diran considered that had she not spoken before he might think her mute. After a time, they arrived at a door set along a hallway upon which paintings were hung. She opened the door for him and the light from their candles poured into the room, gently illuminating its features.

He stepped into the room and heard, from outside, Nomil address him, “Then, I shall be with you when you awake.” He was grateful to hear her stern voice, for her silence was difficult to bear with. He said, “Very well, good night.” The maidservant did not reply in turn but shut the door softly.

Diran surveyed the room. It was not too large so that the sole candle in his hands was able to, with aid from the window that was across from the door, light it all. There was a single bed, large enough for his whole form, and a nightstand on which rested a glass of water that must have been prepared with consideration for him. Other than this, the only item of note was a thoughtfully placed chamber pot, which he thought he might at some point make use of on account of the wine.

Sitting on the bed, he placed the candle on the nightstand and contemplated the day’s events. Surely, he thought, the two could be trusted. It was still difficult to parse why they invested themselves in his goals, but he saw no reason why they should need to go further were they to cross him.

Remembering the illustrious form of the noble Thizen, he allowed himself to ponder what a life she must live in the realm above and how he might one day share in such pleasures. He recalled the glowing form of the golden spire which pierced the clouds and heralded a land of infinite joys. He heard a longing sigh escape his lips, which woke him from his thoughts.

He decided that revelations would only arrive with the next day and resolved to rest until then. So, he undressed himself and placed his clothes beside the bed. Then he blew out the candle and settled into the bed, a sensation to which he was not used. However, he quickly adapted to the comfortable feeling and closed his eyes.

It was a good while later, when he felt dream begin to overtake him, that his keen ears, trained for theft, felt the gentle pattering of muted footsteps outside the door; he woke from his half-slumber. Diran remained silent and still as the bedroom door quietly creaked ajar and, from the corner of his slitted eye, he detected a figure slip into the blackened room to join him.

Only the light from the window illuminated the intruder but he knew that they moved with purpose. First, they slid like a serpent across the room and examined the walls and furniture. They crept along the floor with only the faintest of sounds, skittering here and there, and then they were beside him. Forcing his breath to behave as a sleeping man, he kept his eyelids shuttered so that only the faintest light entered to silhouette the form above.

Then they were gone from his vision and he heard a rustling at the side of his bed. Slowly, and without sound, he slid closer to the side of his bed. Then his gaze met the hunched form below him that was ignorant of his deception. It then that Diran resolved to strike.

0