Chapter 21- Finally, Civilization
33 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Running through the forest floor, Zane trailed behind Isidora, who was carrying Jaenis on her back. He was glad she wasn’t like the one he saved before as the dire situation did cull the bad apples from the good one, and what he got was the best of the bunch. Isidora stayed behind and fought for her unconscious friend, and in Zane’s book that was an immediate sign of a good person. At least he didn't need to worry about being tied in a chair and tortured endlessly.

[Status]
[Zane][Lv.11]
[Class: Mage(Lv.10)]
[HP: 25/30]
[MP: 39/50]
[Strength: 17][+1]
[Vitality: 15]*
[Agility: 18][+2]
[Arcane Power: 25(+20)]
[Perception: 11]
[Available Points: 20]

[Trait]
[Enhanced Drop Rate]
[Multi-Class]

[Unique Skill]
[Warp][Lv.1]

[General Skill]
[Hi-Analysis][Lv.1]
[Physical Resistance][Lv.3]

[Mage Spell]
[Mana Manipulation][Lv.1]
[Force Beat][Lv.3]

He had worn the cloak and held the scimitar in his hand. The effect was shown immediately through the status window as he pondered on what he should do with the excess points he had. He could go through the usual route of distributing most of it to strength and agility, but the new option of having another class brought some a few ideas that he had in mind.

Should I go for the brawler class again? It does give me bonus points to strength and agility respectively, Zane thought. But should I play it safe? Taking the cleric class would be more assuring as having a healing skill at my disposal would be the best.

Rather than rushing in making his choice, Zane saved the new class for later as he distributed the twenty points respectively; five points each to strength, agility, vitality, and to perception. Overall a balance-build in the making.

He stared down at his Glock in the holster as he was bothered by a certain aspect of the gun that he just noticed. It was too loud, and it can either draw attention or scare potential prey. The issue of the loud noise made by the gun would be too troublesome for him, and rather than be conspicuous he would stand out like a sore thumb. Using out in the open would be a big no for now as he thought of something in mind. Perhaps there’s a silencer spell out there, like the Silence spell, a debuff-type from Final Fantasy. I hope there is one so I could try using it. Shooting a gun without emitting any sound would be revolutionary if I’m back on earth.

As he prayed for the existence of the Silence spell, the sun finally bathed over his face as they were out of the Legan Forest. Isidora carried on running with deep concern in her sharpened eyebrows as Jaenis’ condition was worsening with her health points dropping. Yet before she ran further, a hand stopped her. She looked behind her and the masked man pulled out his contraption using it to speak with her. There was a bit of delay in their communication due to the translation, but both of them made it work.

Zane asked about the general direction of the nearest town. And Isidora told him it wasn’t far if he just ran while following the main road. He convinced her to let him take Jaenis to town as his agility was higher and his speed would reach town faster than on Isidora’s back. She yielded immediately without hesitation, giving her trust to a stranger. Isidora informed him of where he should go for treatment along with the number of coins needed. She handed him a pouch of coins, stating it was everything she had. Zane was astounded by the selflessness of this woman. It warmed his heart knowing that good people exist everywhere no matter the world he was in.

He carried Jaenis on her back and sped through the main road. It could hardly be called a road as it was just dirt and nothing like asphalt or tar. Half an hour later, he saw something at the end of the horizon. Wooden walls were erected around the town as a deterrent from potential monster attacks. Coming closer, he saw sentries on the wall, patrolling. He removed his mask, avoiding being seen as suspicious. Once he reached closer to the gate, the guards holding spears barred his path. Their frowning eyes looked at Zane up and down as his weird appearance brought out a bad impression of him. Thank goodness he removed the mask as it would probably worsen the situation.

“Identification,” said one of the guards, who had a goatee.

It didn’t take a genius for Zane to figure out what the guard’s word meant. He cussed on the inside as Isidora didn’t mention anything about showing identification. Unlike what he thought, Isidora had assumed he was a high-ranking adventurer which was no doubt would be given his own personal identification emblem.

Zane reached for his pocket, and his actions drew caution from the guards. They hoisted their spears and aimed at Zane, shouting in the Latin-like language. He imagined it must be close to hands up or something. But he did learn an easy word that could diffuse the situation.

“Amica, amica,” friend in Latin he said. Repeating the same word while pointing at himself. He shouted louder than these frantic guards and by chance, his words got through them.

“Then show me your emblem,” the goatee guard asked for the second time, taking away the tip of his spear from Zane.

He took out his phone, and let its magic work. Broken Latin spoke through his phone, telling them that this friend of his was in need of immediate treatment. He also divulged to them that he was from a faraway land with his emblem missing during his journey.

At first, the guards were shocked and interested over the slab of a square that could speak. But knowing life was at stake here, the guards let them in with the condition that one of them followed the duo for safety reasons. Zane agreed as he thought of it as them abiding protocol. The goatee guard led Zane to the treatment center and while conversing slowly through the phone, Zane got to know the goatee guard a little bit better.

Bailey was his name. And the guard was quite curious about the phone Zane had which he dubbed as an arcane tool.

From that little and slow conversation Zane had, Bailey was an ardent fan of the arcane tool as the guard told him that he had never seen such an arcane tool that could convey words from one language to another. He also mentioned he was sorry for being too rough at the gate. Usually, they would let anyone in, but news of a dangerous brigade of brigands made the whole town heighten their security.

In time, they reached the treatment center. From the outside, it looked like a pantheon from Greece. Bailey led them through the hall as a person dressed in a nun-like attire greeted them with a calm and gentle tone. Yet that calmness broke after seeing Jaenis on Zane’s back. Her gibberish words spouted like wildfire at the guard as if demanding to know what had happened. She looked Zane in the eye and spoke to him, gesturing with her hands to follow. Zane looked at Bailey and the guard nodded.

Trailing behind the nun-like person, he used Hi-Analysis on her.

[Britta Liteman][Lv.31]
[Class: Cleric(Lv.56)]
[HP: 132/132]
[MP: 368/374]
[Strength: 10]
[Vitality: 66(+56)]
[Agility: 10]
[Arcane Power: 187(+56)]
[Perception: 10]

Zane was shocked. It was his first time seeing a person having three digits for one stat. But something begged a question. Despite her high job level, her class remained the same as a cleric, who he deemed to be just a lower-tier class.

They went to a room with a stone bed at the center. She gestured to place Jaenis on it and Zane complied. He watched to the side as Bailey pulled him closer to the guard’s side. Giving space for the older cleric to do her job. Britta’s eyes glowed in bright yellow as her hands emitted a visible wave of yellow rays. By chance, Zane tried out his Hi-Analysis and it worked.

[Skill: Healing Wave(Lv.10). Channel the user’s mana into minuscule droplets of light energy, visible like faint waves of light. Allow higher capability of healing along with treating minor debuff, minor status effect, and minor curses.]

Didn’t know it can do that. He made a mental note to be more adventurous in using his Hi-Analysis. Since there must be a reason for having ‘Hi’ in front of the analysis. The process lasted a whole minute and by then Jaenis’ bleeding condition was gone. She was perfectly healed and good as new.

Britta, the cleric, walked over to Zane and Bailey. Before she spoke, Zane took out his phone. She was a bit bewildered a bit by his action, but Bailey was there to save the day. She nodded. Accepting the reason as it was.

“Lady Jaenis is out of danger for now. But she needs rest . . . Adequate rest,” Britta accentuated her last words. Conveying well what she wanted best for Jaenis. But the use of Lady towards Jaenis raised an eyebrow for Zane. Before he could ask anything further, Britta threw him and Bailey out from the room, claiming it was best for Jaenis.

He inquired about Jaenis to Bailey, and the guard’s translated words left him surprised a bit. Daughter of a noble? That’s something I definitely don’t want to get involved with. Then the clanking pouch in his bag made him remember. He took out of the pouch of coins, and asked Bailey, “shouldn’t I pay for the treatment?’

Bailey waved his hand, shaking his hand. “She’s one of them, so there’s no need to pay,” he explained. “And she’s even a noble, so I don’t think the Cleric Guild would mind having a favor towards the nobles.”

“Anyway, I’m off. Still have a job to be done,” Bailey said. Saying his farewell before he left. “And it’s been a pleasure to know you, mister?”

“Zane, you can call me Zane,” Zane introduced himself.

“Zane . . . An unusual name fit for an unusual man,” Bailey commented. “I advise you to make an identification emblem before you leave town. The easiest way is through the adventurer union. It’s better that way for us and for you. And you wouldn’t want to be pointed by a spear again would you?” Bailey chuckled and left.

But before he let the goatee guard go, Zane did inquire first on how to reach the adventurer union. He walked down the street of the town, finally taking in the aesthetic of another world for the first time. The town looked medieval in a way. Like a scene, you could find in the early episodes of Game of Throne. Most buildings were made out of woods, partially with stones as their walls.

Contrary to his expectation, the road was cleaner as he expected these people to throw out their waste on the road like he read on the internet. In a way, he was kind of relieved. He would have puked if he saw some shits laying around on the road like they were pebbles. Just thinking about it made him sick a bit.

Yet the most intriguing thing he could find in the open road of this town was the lamp post. A simple stick on the ground with a glass-like lamp hanging on top of it. There was no light bulb if one might ask as something else replaced the light source.

[Hive of Starry Fireflies]
[Home for the Starry Fireflies. Critters that light up the dark night. An ingenuity of a lover who yearns to see his beloved who lived in the neighboring town. He innovated the glass technology of the south and his weird interest in an insect that lives near the Dier Swamp. And voila, the first generation lamp post was made. Word of caution: Do not let these insects out under any circumstances.]

Zane winced. Pulling himself away from the lamp post by a few steps. That doesn’t sound safe. Do these people know about it or do the inventor omit such fact from the public?

Shaking his head Zane went along his path as he reached an intersection. From Bailey’s words, he found what he was looking for. A two-story building of wood and stone with an emblem of two swords crossing together with a picture of a dragon in the background. Smiling, he went inside.

2