Chapter 23 – Arcane Society
39 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Strolling around town, Isidora introduced Zane to the many things of Hailyfield Town. From the inn she resided to the many eateries she was fond of, especially the dessert shops. He was eager to try some fantasy world dessert, but his priority was locating, the smithy, the library, the potion store, and the most important of all, the Mage Guild. He figured, if there was a Cleric Guild, then there must be a Mage Guild.

“Mage guild? You mean the Arcane Society?” she clarified. Further explaining that the Arcane Society was no different to the Cleric Guild, who provided adequate resources for mages in terms of knowledge and common arcane materials.

“Interesting,” Zane said.

She led him there. Standing before a normal-looking building, a stark difference to the grand pantheon of the Cleric Guild.

“Quite shabby,” he said. Entering the premise. He looked around as the whole place looked no different from a common library in his area. Shelves decorated the walls, brimming with countless books that were neatly organized by the most orderly hands.

“What do we have here? A brute in a mage’s sanctum,” a man with round glasses came to greet the new visitors. Rather than friendly, he opted for a rude remark to the out-of-place warrior.

Isidora remained calm as she even smiled. “My friend here wanted to come. It’s his first time being in town so I’m accompanying him,” she said amicably.

“A polite one, that’s quite rare,” the rude mage adjusted his glasses a bit before turning over to Zane. “So what can I do for a fellow mage? If you just reach level ten I’ve got a few recommended spell books.”

“Oh, my friend here doesn’t speak the common tongue,” she informed.

The rude mage gave another look at Zane. Scanning him up and down. “So what language does he speak? Because quite frankly, no mage wouldn’t know the common tongue. It’s the first thing we learned if we aspire to be one. Not unless he’s a druid, of course. Those people clung too much to trees and dirt that they’re pretty much savages.”

“Um, I’m not sure,” Isidora poked Zane, gesturing for him to bring out the translation device. After a few exchanges, she faced the rude mage, who appeared shocked by what he saw and he heard.

“What is that?” the rude mage pointed at his smartphone. Staring strongly with the highest peak of his curiosity. “Is this a new arcane tool?”

Isidora awkwardly smiled. “I’m not really sure. My friend here doesn’t really say much about it. But I figure it must be a new arcane tool that translates language into a different language.”

“Impossible,” the rude mage denied it. Adjusting his glasses again. “To create such a device, one needs to know every known language that exists on this land and match the meaning of it for every single word. Even the brilliant arcanist, Noel, can’t create a spell formation with that much information, much less packed it inside a little device such as this.”

The light in the rude mage’s eyes turned for the better. Seeing Zane in a positive light. He glanced at Isidora, demanding how to use the device. The nice warrior explained. And the rude mage held his impatience down, conversing slowly with Zane. He introduced himself as Olvir, the Ice Prince, boasting great skill and knowledge in ice spells.

“You wouldn’t have a translation spell, would you?” Zane asked the most important thing.

“Unfortunately not, sir,” Olvir replied. “Such branch of the arcane has not been developed well through the years. But I do hear a rumor of someone obstinate enough in that matter. Yet unfortunately, there’s still no good news about it.”

Zane was disappointed. It seemed magic wasn’t as convenient as he thought unless someone worked on that particular area.

“Oh, I just remembered.” Like a light bulb brightened on top of Olvir’s head. “We don’t have a translation spell, but we do have a set of telepath earrings.”

“Telepath? You mean read minds?” Zane asked.

“Rather than reading, it’s more like forming a link between two minds. Easing conversation between one another,” Olvir explained. “But I’m not sure whether it would work for different languages since most of us knew common tongue.”

“I guess that’s worth a shot,” he followed behind Olvir and ascended up the stairs. They reached the end of the corridor and knocked on a door. Isidora noticed the letters on the door and whispered something in Zane’s ears as if he knew what she meant.

What’s wrong with her? Zane thought.

The door opened, and a man with a hefty white beard greeted his sight. “Oh, hello there. What brings you here Olvir?” the grey-robed man asked. His appearance alone reminded him of someone famous back in Zane's very own fictional wizarding world.

“Sir Zane is in need of your earrings, Master,” Olvir said politely. Bowing his head a bit in respect to the so-called Master.

“What did I say about calling me, Master, Olvir?” the Master said. “You’re now standing shoulder to shoulder with me as colleagues. So throw that nonsense out through the window and get on the same page as the rest of us.” Unlike the Cleric Guild, the Arcane Society was more of a horizontal organizational structure that emphasized efficiency rather than tedious hierarchy.

“No can do, Master,” said Olvir, smiling. “Once a Master, always a Master.”

“Whatever,” the Master let it slide. Knowing it would be a headache dealing with such a trivial thing with this ex-student of his. “So why the earrings? You do know it's useless due to its short-range, right?”

“About that…” Olvir explained to Master regarding Zane’s circumstances and the thing of magic in his hand. And like Olvir, the Master reacted the same way or a bit more to the excessive side. The Master brought his wrinkly old face to Zane at an uncomfortable distance, spitting on the earthling’s face, spouting gibberish that meant nothing to his Zane’s ears.

“Master,” Olvir held his Master back. Dragging the old coot by the arm. “You’re making our guest uncomfortable, Master, and you forget about the earrings. You need the earrings to communicate with him.”

“Oh, you’re damn bloody right,” the Master smiled. Rushing at one corner of his office, rummaging through a wooden trunk. “Found it,” two earrings made out of some sort of wood with different gems embedded on it. The excited old man handed it over to Zane and gestured how to wear it over the ear.

Zane followed. Clipping the earring on his right earlobe. As a voice echoed in his mind and it wasn’t the voice of an old man.

“Allow mind connection?” a dulcet voice of a woman asked for permission. He answered in his mind. Then the voice of an old man echoed inside his head.

“Can you hear me?” Master asked.

“I can, and I understand your words,” Zane nodded without saying a word. Smiling as the frustration he felt washed away in an instant.

“I guess I was wrong. These telepathy earrings do have their own merit,” said the Master. Gaining a new sense of amazement by something he once deemed as useless. “Forgive me for the late introduction, I am Langdon Doraellis, President of the Arcane Society of Hailyfield branch.”

Zane now knew why Isidora whispered at him. It seemed he just met a big shot. He accepted the outstretched hand and shook.

“Now what is this translation device I’ve heard of?” Langdon was quick to lead the conversation to his interest. Zane showed the smartphone and demonstrated its usage. Entertaining the curious questions of the old man who looked no different than a child who was curious about the world. The so-called President let out a few awe exclamations as the smartphone was more than just a translator. Growing the curiosity in his old heart, learning new things that befit the nature of a mage.

Zane took a chance and used Hi-Analysis.

[Langdon Doraellis][Lv.75]
[Class: Wizard(Lv.89)]
[HP: 100/100]
[MP: 1134/1134]
[Strength: 15]
[Vitality: 50]
[Agility: 15]
[Arcane Power: 567(+267)]
[Perception: 15]

Zane was shocked. This old man before him was a real-life powerhouse. He had no doubt that even the simplest spell from Langdon could tear him into pieces in an instant. Then he heard Langdon’s voice in his mind.

“Interesting,” their lines of sight met. The President left his childish side and showed a speck of his serious side. An overwhelming aura flooded over Zane as the earthling could feel his back sweating like mad.

“A bit of advice, young man,” Langdon said. Placing his hand over his shoulder. “I do not know what kind of identification spell you just use. But it’s strong. Strong enough to even pierce . . . my walls you could say. But you’re quite lacking in covering your tracks. So next time when you’re trying to peek, think twice before using it on a mage.”

A hidden threat from the big man himself. Zane felt like he was about to wet his pants, but in front of a girl, he endured and he saved himself from the embarrassment.

“Now where were we?” the jolly tone returned to Langdon. Smiling like nothing was wrong in the first place.

Zane tried to keep his cool as he negotiated with Langdon in regards to having the telepathic earrings. He could see in the old man’s eyes that he wanted his phone as an exchange. But he proposed a better one. Something that the old man would definitely not refuse.

“It’s a deal!” Langdon said. Both shooks hands in silence as the onlookers were weird out as they couldn’t get used to the whole mime-show between these two.

Leaving Arcane Society, Zane didn’t come out empty-handed. In the cradle of his arms were books and more books. He splurged his rios without hesitation and bought anything that he found useful.

Again, the woman’s voice echoed.

“Allow mind connection?” he agreed and a new link had been made.

“Hello?” the familiar voice was understandable. Zane looked at Isidora with delight.

“Hello to you too,” he replied.

“Oh my days, I can hear you,” the warrior jumped in excitement. Smiling with her front-row teeth. Same as Zane the frustration she felt went away as being able to talk to someone never felt this satisfying. Isidora, who couldn’t handle her overwhelming excitement leaped at Zane and gave him a hug.

“Not expecting that, but okay,” it would be a lie if a grown man like him didn’t like a hug from a girl like this. Even if she had some muscles in that body of hers, Zane wouldn’t say no.

Isidora heard him and realized she went overboard a bit. She parted and pretended the hug didn’t happen. “So what’s next? The library?”

“Let’s put that on hold first since I’ve got a favor to ask,” he looked down at his books. Hoping his plan would work. “You wouldn’t have a private place to read books would you?”

“I can only think of one,” she replied. Not knowing whether it was a good idea or not.

“Then how about we buy some desserts and head back to wherever you’re thinking off,” Zane suggested. And the mention of desserts lit stars in Isidora’s eyes.

They visited a few places, and after a while, they reached the inn where Isidora had been staying. “Welcome to Red Hair Inn,” she said. An odd name for an inn, but Zane knew immediately why it was called as such.

“Oh my, you finally got yourself a boy, Isidora?” the inn owner greeted them as her scarlet red hair cascaded below her shoulders in a braid.

“He’s a friend,” Isidora said. Glaring silently at the owner who seemed like a friend to her. She led him upstairs to the third floor and opened the door to her room with much eagerness.

“This is my room. It isn’t much but…” her words fell silent. The curve on her lips drooped down as she saw someone she did not expect. Happiness vanished in an instant as the smiling gal finally showed an intimidating frown. Then her voice thundered through the whole inn filled with intense rage merely from saying a name.

“Skylar!”

3