Chapter 4
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What do you think of the building? 

 

“It was abandoned”

 

“... What did you think it was used for?” 

 

“It was used for…”

 

What was the building used for? As they drove down into the border of Illidae City Lyul brought up the building they investigated fourteen years ago. Xiu and his team were in charge of a case that dealt with the [[Web]]. [[Web]] was an organization that handled crime in the region. If the world was seen in a simple grayscale, the [[Web]] would be considered the deepest black there could be. Fourteen years ago, their case contained human trading. At that building, everything started going downhill. 

 

As they continued into a forest Lyul spoke up.

 

“The building was someone’s toy. Though, I suppose now they are dead now”

As Lyul finishes, Xiu thought he could see a hint of sadness in those abysses-like eyes. They had driven to the building, it was completely burnt down. The black ashes of the place were scattered around the thick trees.

 

“There’s nothing here anymore”

 

“I know”

 

“Why did you bring me here?”

 

“Do you remember anything that happened? I don’t mind if you decided to share~~”

 

Lyul dawned his signature sly smile as he looked at Xiu. Xiu’s mind took him back to fourteen years ago. His team consisted of eight people, to summarize what happened here: one of them burnt to death. The second couldn’t stand the loneliness, third was set up by the web. Fourth left the department. He drove two to their death. 

 

“Do you want to know?”

Lyul looked at the man in front of him, his shaky voice echoed in the forest. Truly he pitied the man. Though no information was relayed to Lyul he knew of what happened fourteen years ago. Lyul then laid both of his hands out in front of him, as he closed one and opened the other. 

 

“This building was built to deal with trade, either it’s lavish or insufficient it served its purpose.”

As Lyul finishes he raises both of his hands to Xiu’s level and holds them completely still. 

“[[Web]] thinks as such: give and take. Cause and effect.” as he states cause and effect he switches the fist to his left while opening his right. 

“Where do you think your group stood?”

 

Xiu stared at the man in front of him. He blatantly just stated that he was from the [[Web]] truly he was full of mysteries.

 

“Cause and effect, we caused trouble and thus– the effect was our death”

 

“I would think otherwise. Suppose it was “give and take”, what did you take from them?” 

 

“I- their cargo?

 

“It’s equal trading Mr. Kyugu, what are you willing to give up for [[Web]]?”

 

Lyul stood next to the car while Xiu walked around the building. Fragmented memories came back, those painful memories of the past. The burnt ashes of the building slightly dance in the cold autumn wind. As Xiu walked back to the car, he seemed to make up his mind.

 

“I will tell you everything I know, In return–”

 

“I will assist you in finding the past”

 

It was quite hilarious, Xiu had gotten nothing from that trip. Although seemingly fruitless, it was someone from the [[Web]] who could be useful. He was taken out of the Law enforcement system, with no way back. As usual, the apartment smelled rotten. Rays of sun hit Xiu’s room as he opened his eyes to the blinding sun. Unusually the sound of footsteps and keys was heard, then prompted Xiu to get up.

 

“Oh, I didn’t think you would wake up this early”

 

It was Xiu’s sister, who was pregnant, now really he felt as if the old couple were inhumane. Forcing a pregnant woman to work, taking care of children no less. 

 

“I’m sure you’ve heard of the [Sovergein Banquet]. Sire received some tickets since you were writing a novel I asked for one”

 

“Thanks?”

 

“I’m sure it’s a good chance to meet some publishers! So! Don’t take this opportunity lightly!”

 

“I won’t”

 

The next couple of days were the most light-hearted Xiu has ever felt since waking up. He and his sister went around the City to find clothing for the Banquet. Eventually, Xiu and his sister set on a black suit with a black vest. 

 

“It’s today right?”

 

“Yup”
“Ummm, did we forget to buy a tie??”

 

“It’s fine, I don’t need one”

 

“But-”

 

“No, really it’s fine.”

 

Xiu called a taxi that would drive him to the site of the Banquet. It was a private mansion, to enter the invitation had to be seen; the desolate area would make anyone uncomfortable. As Xiu entered the gates a woman in her thirties who dawned a beautiful red velvet tight dress was leaning over. She tried to pick up the purse she had dropped, her wardrobe had malfunctioned. The open slit on the back of her dress was inching down as she tried to reach for the purse. Since Xiu arrived early, he took off his jacket and placed it behind the woman then proceeded to pick the purse up for her.

 

“Thank you”

 

“You’re welcome”

 

“I suppose we should walk in”

 

As he and the woman walked into the building, they were both handed a white mask that covered the top of their faces. The mansion was truly grand, a bright chandelier hung over the main parlor. As people slowly started to enter, funny enough, Xiu was mistaken for a waiter. It was the third time someone has asked him to bring them a drink, if it weren’t for the woman who decided to hold onto Xiu’s right arm he might have been scolded by the other waiters. 

 

The light’s suddenly dimmed, as a slight glow came up behind the balcony. Women dawning a black dress with a silver lining, that reminded Xiu of Luyl’s blouse the first day they had met, stood in front of the huge crowd. 

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, I’m sure that everyone is excited about today’s auction”

“Well, let’s begin”

0