Chapter One – Awakening fate
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Blazing sun rose steadily over a bustling city. Giant skyscrapers which stretch and mingle with the high heavens above greet the skyline with a rigid vigour. The rays glimmer against the stainless windows with flashes of spiritless white, with hidden golden sparks of the dim embers of the morning dew twingle and bud on the windows. Down below the towering hulks of corporate shells, and the houses of the inner city. Life (much like the rising sun) starting to step into every milling and rituals. Small chirps of cars fancifully driving across the roads; loudly proclaiming their supremacy; with each passing moment they frantically greet others. Bellowing yelps of tamed dogs barking to greet the world from their slumber. The howling tunes spread arounds the blocks of their impromptu choir. People dress in all types of clothing, some already finding strength to face the day in uniform for work, with briefcases being lugged around within a firmly gripped palm. While tightly grouped together within the overcrowded streets and pathways.

 

Yet, too a slumbering teen the world is nothing more than an everlasting promise to leave the comfort of his room. Loudly fighting against his fate to venture into the controlled wildness of city life; nagging him with beckoning cries of school and other commitments in which he must partake in.

 

His eyes flutter. Their rapid movements fail to stop the annoying rays of the overbearing sun from tormenting his irises within the confines of morning. The stand (from leaving his window slightly ajar) of his curtains flap as the breeze gentle sways them open. As if they have become entranced by such an alluring song, and sway in hypnotic passion to allow such rays to be peak though.

 

Slowly, the sheets which covered the body of the resting teenager were pushed off. Rising like a wave before falling into the sea of the bedroom floor. His sheets sprayed in a fit; slightly tugged away to cover the lower half of his bed only partially. The boy stiffly laid as he sleepily stared at the sealing above.

 

Groggily, he forced himself to slide the lower half of his body to freely dangle in the suspended air; before compelling the rest to follow suit. Perfectly standing upright. Before walking to the neatly piled clothes stack beside his decks.

 

He dozily slid across his modest room. Sluggishly stumbling past posters of celebrated pop ideals. Eyes of strangers watching him drag himself through the morning. High shelves of treasured forgotten pictures of days old with family all huddled together, framed within a metal case; faint prints linger to show the many times a longing hand was pulled and begged the memories to be lived once more. Resting upon his deck, a huge screen greedily hogged a large part of the teen's decks, hanging and broadening their presents over the miniature notepads and pens scattered around. Stuffed away under his bed, a large over filled box of weights and exercise equipment, left slightly twisted in a heap; showing the frequent use and near constant movement they shuffled through.

 

A mirror resting on the far side of his room, occasionally flashed with the sun rays reflecting against its skin. Slightly illuminating the room whenever the breeze blows hard enough to make a significant gap.

 

Yet the boy’s figure is clearly displayed. His dark midnight hair cut short around the back, with ruffles on the top of his head. Mostly unblemished skin with the occasional mark of red patches on his face. He stood around 5 foot 7 inches. Mostly slender but a quite impressive figure for a teenager showing his dedication and commitment to self-improvement.

 

Automatically, he pulled and tugged at his pyjamas and tore them away from his body; before suddenly hurling them aside with a dim thump of their dwindling cries as they impacted against the wall, beside his unmade bed. He slowly raised his freshly ironed shirt over his head; tugging away as he quickly shrugged his head to the slide, to slowly drag the shirt down. Before lifting the hem to pull his arms through.

 

Looking at himself in the mirror, his uniform of the pale white shirt half tucked into his black trousers, was covered by a fitted suit blazer covering from his shoulders, to drape over the top half of himself. His school shoes (another stygian black typical shoes for school) neatly tucked away inside his closest.

 

After successfully overcoming the everyday challenge of his clothing. He tiredly swung open his door. Greeting the rest of his household to a fresh start, of a new day. His current position within his house was on the second floor. A modest twisting staircase connected to an overhanging indoor balcony; looked over the main entrance to his abode. Across from his door three separate doors are seen (one leading to his parent's room, another his younger sister and the other a bathroom) while the main entrance is covered with a fine dual coloured black and white carpet; a slick new modern style blending the two tones together; A spiral patterned with two small dots in the centre of the sea of the opposite colour, resting a separate tone. As he travelled further into his home, he walked into his kitchen.

 

The modern home greets him immediately to see his mother standing against the far corner, past the deserted island which sat in the centre, spreading from the southern part to the north in a perfect line. This island inhabited an almost empty fruit bowl which spared only a single pitiful orange and a spotted banana. To the west a large oven which greeting him with a loud humming, a heavenly aura filling the room as he entered. His body finding itself trapped within the amour steam which bed itself within the kitchen. Pulling himself closer, his brain ragging his idle soul over the stainless floors.

 

“Oh, I see someone finally awoke!” A cheerful voice greeted in a mocking tone. His mother (who had yet to turn to greet the boy) continued to cut gracefully.

 

His mother was a modest woman, slightly plump around the waste (mostly from the lack of activity from the rainy season having a prolonged stay) but carrying her remaining years with vigour. Her long black hair which beautifully rests over her shoulders. Eyes as light as the shining skies which hang overhead with a fixed loving gaze. Crystalised blue gems which dearly hold her iris within both her eyes. Flawless skin completely covering her skin and with fixed rosy cheeks. She wore a bright pastel pink jumper which hung over her comfortable tracksuit.

He sheepishly rubs the back of his head embarrassed. His checks fulling a pale red with a soft laugh escaping his lips.

 

“Sorry, I guess it overslept again huh” He laughed out, apologising to his mother.

Hearing his words, she carefully places the knife down to lay across the cutting board. Before completely turning to fully face her child. A teasing smile splashing across her face.

 

“I swear if I wasn’t here, I would always wonder how on earth either you or your father would survive!” She zestfully taunts. Before making her way to hug her son.

 

“Oh? Did dad not wake up today? Must run in the family then.” He quips back. He jokes, fully embracing his mother.

 

Pulling back, she makes her way to the island, picking out the orange which desperately hid behind the stale banana. Wishing against the odds to survive before being whisk away.

 

“You wouldn’t believe it! He slept right through his alarm. It got me up earlier than normal. But that lug did not even stir. Isn’t that right honey!” She directs to the adjacent room, where an older man is seen sitting over a family size wooden table.

 

HIs father laughed from embarrassment. His body huffing and wheezing with a sudden jolt sparking through him, only calming down as he lifts a mug to his lips, taking in his morning tea.

 

His father was not large or imposing, but neither small nor dainty; but simply average height with jet black hair with a freshly cut trim; which allowed the world to breathe down the back of his neck. Unlike his wife's gem-like eyes his fathers had a kind hazel. Soft brown like autumn season in which trees started to shed their leaves. His eyes held their same pretty brown. He wore a plain white shirt underneath a smooth black blazer, a hand-woven tie slightly off centre around his neck. Matching trousers to complete the look of a professional businessman.

 

“Hey now that's unfair! Saito back me up here, it's not our fault!” He complained. Yet the tone easily ciphered his laxed and loving teasing tone.

 

The mother (now fully turning back to Saito) loudly tuts.

 

“Well mister you're already running late for school, Akari has already left as she was picked up early by her friends. Something about morning duties? So please hurry up and get something in your belly and leave already!” The mother said, already handing over the cut fruit to Saito.

 

However, before Saito could take part in eating, the smile on his mother face soon vanishes. An unformed frown now lies imperfectly on her face.

“What is it mum?” Saito asks.

 

Taking a deep breath before she speaks, she turns to directly speak.

“I know your sister is with her friends, hell they even came to pick her up themselves, I just feel more comfortable if you were with her. I don’t like her being alone.” His mother confessed.

 

Seeing his wife now sombre, the farther moves to stand beside her, bringing her close with a comforting side hug and a light peek on her cheek.

 

“Honey its fine, they will look after her. There are her friends its fine. Besides Saito will be there. He’s always nearby. He will protect her.” The farther spoke.

“Yea! I promise mum, I will always keep her safe, so do not worry! I'll leave quickly for school just let me eat first.” Saito loudly exclaimed.

 

With the devils need to eat quickly, Saito shoved and heaved the fruit down into the deepest pits within his stomach before lugging his school bag over his shoulder. Yelling to his parents to have a good day and to see them soon.

 

The moment Saito opened the door, the world greets his eyes with beauty of life making itself known. The summer warmth has brightened up the wildlife to shimmer with leaves brimming brightly. Houses each allow for windows or doors to hang ajar to not swell within the desolate heat. Row after row for as all as his eyes could imagine the world was peaceful.

 

“SQUAK!”

 

Breaking the illusion and rudely imposing to break the tranquillity. A single crow perches themselves on his roof. Bringing itself to the edge, directly looking out over his front garden; transfixed to the scene below them.

 

This crow (after announcing himself to the world) silently stared and lingered. Tauntingly staring right back at Saito, who has yet to move his gaze, this make-do stare down between animal and human.

 

“Squawk to you too I guess?” Saito mumbles, turning his body away. Before calmly leaving the situation. Opening the gate which leads to the main street.

 

Now freely walking in the outside world. His hands resting inside of his pockets, only being brought out to greet neighbours in a routine greeting. Saito leading his head into the following breeze, each strand of hair peaceful blazing a makeshift dance. Trees flutter as the wind twine with the stock green leaves. Bushes mingle and wave their subby buds for mother nature to greet strangers in perfect harmony. Yet strangely enough oddities sprung themselves. Every odd ally cat (which normally would beg and whine for food from passers-by) would leap and spike their back in defence; a makeshift threatening hiss of a formal primal roar whenever Saito would walk past. Dogs would suddenly grow silent as a mute, any transgression from an invasive squirrel which dared to enter their domain; yet when Saito past a dog which was notoriously known for being quite aggressive (especially when kids did not understand boundaries) was found in a state of fear while the dog attempted to act protective, guarding his sworn enemy of a lone city squirrel.

Yet Saito never noticed the crow following behind him…

 

Saito (following the same route he would take daily) would never consider himself to be the smartest or the most observant person. Normally, he would lose himself with wild thoughts and imagined moments, sparked inside of his mind. But today he does notice a trail of sudden sparks of abnormalities throughout his walk. He completely turns to stare when he spotted (out of the far corner of his eye) rats communing together in broad daylight. Their gaze followed the boy; sniffing into the air like they detected some hidden foul scent which sent the animals into some frenzy.

 

Yet the murder of crows which silently grew as he strolled into school, their numbers growing with every passing moment; one turned to two which quickly became three. Quickly encircling the streets, holding them hostage from above with a countless amount of their flock lingering in the open air. Some hanging overhead, taunting him with their hunter instincts of detecting death, as if readying themselves to pluck the remains. Circling the dying victim so they can be ready to dive when they finally lose their strength. While others simply spread themselves across the rooftops of houses, which lay across the street to Saito’s school. Poking and scratching their talons against the tiles of the building. Cryptic taps of frantic claws eco in a song of madness on this wonderful summer's day.

 

Yet, with the world acting out of order today. Saito still managed to barely scrape by to wander into school on time. Arriving a bountiful five minutes before students are expected to arrive. Standing outside the main grate, periodically lifting his gaze from his phone as familiar voices call in greeting, politely returning his own dutifully.

It seemed like everyone around never mentioned the countless over hanging birds, much less discussed the weird events of the day. Only discussions of major teenage events like: the latest news gossip and rumour picked up by the local loud mouth, or drama being covered online like some sort of fanatic fan for some celebrity. Each saying their own unwarranted opinion.

 

No one noticed anything truly remarkable.

When he finally decided to muster the courage to make himself known to the building, Saito turned his head for the final time from his screen to probably see where he is walking too. From the outer corner of his vision, which had previously pinpointed the days madness inspected a growing blackness hidden within the murder of crows.

 

Saito halts.

 

‘What?’ he thinks to himself. His mind was almost broken in disbelief by the collection of swirling vortexes before him. Taken back, he steps closer to the school building; now frantically staring into the hive.

 

Yet nothing appeared, they vanished. Discontent with their sudden performance being spotted. Quickly dissipating as the crows (which was part of the vortex flying to roof tops) stop their strange antics.

 

Saito can only stare in a confused wonder; his pupils and fellow students seem completely ignorant and oblivious to the abnormal murder of the flock of crows. None pay any thought to their presence. Saito would dare say, they almost did not exist to them.

Like they just could not see them.

 

Saito fully turns away after that; shaking his head to fully bring himself into the reality of the moment. No longer staring in the direction of the forgotten madness. Fully dedicated itself to approach the more serious topic.

 

School.

 

How he almost wished those crows continued to distract him.

 

Saito, dragging his feet to face the approaching building, sucks up the courage to peel himself away from the mirage of the crows; his self-imposing phantom apparition of the flock taunting him. Trying to pay no mind to his delusions. If no one else could see them. Then how can they be real?

 

 

The building itself was three stories tall, a colossal structure which loomed over the lowered houses which boarded around the school. The entrance, heavily inspired by ancient architecture, recreates the old marble towers with stone replicas. Bulging from the building with two twin towers on the side, with faded white stone posts going between them. With paved stairs which rest with two symmetrical flowerpots on either side. The building itself was entirely made from rusted red stained bricks; with white paved slabs hanging around the ledges. Evenly spaced-out windows which run horizontal in fixed rows; being precisely measured for evenly spaced classrooms. This building reeked of normalcy. Complicated building structure to catch a wondering eye, yet hollow within with shallow intent. This building was normal.

 

 A strange foreboding sense of a nothingness normal though today. Those crows seemed to think so at least.

 

The ancient entrance which protruded from the framework could entice eyes to be lulled into this compliancy; yet the whole building stunk of a fixed life. Each student dully wandered hallways in a collective haze of meaningless data from days of old. Lessons dragging ancient facts to new minds; meant to aid everyone for their future. Yet stiffens creativity for every individual.

Yet the single crow, resting above, became the only jarring sight to Saito. Almost offended this crow dare take away anything from his normal routine. More start to follow, moving from the houses to take refuge on the school roof.

 

“Hey Saito” A voice from the endless ocean of students forcing Saito’s attention to flee from the crow. Now peering into the crowd for the mysterious voice.

The voice itself was quite feminine. A smoothing voice which carried itself across the endless conversations of students, which imbedded themselves in the wild seas of the corridors. Yet this voice became a siren itself to Saito.

“Hey Akari” Saito greets his younger sister.

 

Standing before him is his little sister, taking after their mother; she is quite short with long smooth black hair tied into a high ponytail. Eyes sparkle with a light blazing blue. Dressed in complete uniform, while holding her hands between her back as she approaches with two other female students hanging off her arms.

“Finally, you're here! I am half surprised you managed to get here on your own. Even more so that you’ve managed to get here in uniform and not your pj’s.” Akari jest. But the smile on her face clearly betrays her words; their hollow meaning becomes lifeless as her smile true greets her older brother.

 

“Ya mum already gave me all the jokes this morning, so a normal greeting is simply fine with me. You don’t need to show off to your friends” Saito points out.

 

Two joint fits of giggling erupt from the two bodies. Both needing to lift an arm to cover their mouth to attempt to stave off the temptation to laugh.

 

“Don’t need to show off! They already know I'm amazing!” She boasts, proudly standing with a puff chest and a matching beatific expression mixed with a sly cheeky gin.

“Oh, yea so amazing” One of the bodies sarcastically mocks with a deadpan face; slight bubbling under her flat smile risking exposing her true intentions from her word.

 

“Oi” Akari yells. Lightly pushing her elbow into the girl's side. Bursting the dam which held back her fated breath. Realising her laughter to the world in a wheezed breath.

Yet the moment Akari began to talk again, her body was forcefully pushed. As he arms were linked to her two friends an awkward shuffle of feet occurred: pushing each one of them forward unexpectedly.

 

“Watch it!” The girl on the left quickly calls out, breaking off from the chain and immediately approaching the boy's bubble. Attempting to seize them up by entering proximity. Yet, a sickening taunt of laughter is the only eligible response she got.

 

Akari for her part did not respond verbally; her head also dropped to the floor. Gravity intensified its hold over her body. Longing itself to enlarge around her. Sapping her resolve and strength to face the situation.

 

“You okay Akari?” The other friend asks, while rubbing her arm. This calming gesture does not seem to break through to Akari. Her universe becomes ignorant to the girl beside her. Isolating herself in the murky world of nothingness.

 

Yet, this darkness evaporated as fast as it came; the quick spread which haunted her mind the moment her body flung forward, began reeling and filtered into warmth. Darkness became light. As Saito placed his hand on her head; this comforting gesture finally bring her subconsciousness to be coaxed into relaxing. The stress in her shoulders loosen as she leans into the touch.

 

Yet Saito glares in the direction of the hooligans. Not daring to break eye contact for a single moment; a personal grudge birthed from the briefest moment of sadness engulfed a protective desire. Saito knows his sister. Knows everything about her, they have always been close. They always went to the same school: practised similar hobbies, always made sure to be each other's friend when the other was lonely. To make sure that even when the entire world was against them, they would always be by the other side.

That is why Saito knew this very moment; and every moment which would follow for countless days until he could confidently say his sister was better.

 

That he knew, she needed him. She needed him to protect her, to help her make her way through these episodes. He needed to always be ready by her side. As family he was always ready to make sure Akari came first in her time of need.

It what a big brother would do.

 

Saito moved past Akari quickly, his hand -which was previously resting on Akari's head- lagged, as it flopped to Saito's side. He confidently fixated his steps to directly confront the vile filth which held a twisted smirk, as he had yet to see this sudden change.

“Hey!” Saito immediately (before the guy could even suspect his or anyone's involvement) pushed the teen into the corridor wall. Asserting himself between him and his sister friend. Slightly raising the younger teen off the ground, his toes barely scraping the floor in a desperate attempt to latch onto the ground.

 

“Don’t hurt my sister” A simple command slipped from Saito's lips. His dominant bullish tone asserted his demand confidently. His hand scraped up the hem of the teens uniform, as he twisted it just below the guy's neck; allowing him to use the hold to force the boy closer.

 

Their eyes meet. One a blaze, wild inferno of protective rage, the untamed feral instincts of family bond mounting into a savage rage ignited by his sister's sullen mood. The other, a startled astonish glaze which darted between shock and confusion.

 

“Hey man, what's going on?” The teen questions. As he mumbles and fumbles over his words. Losing them in quick though his stammers, as the shock left his stupefied mind scrambles to say the appropriate response.

 

“Saito wait I'm fine he didn’t mean too” Regaining her composer. Akari pulls against Saito arms.

 

Saito (who still held the younger teen by the shirt) slightly turned his head to acknowledge her. The scowl on his face never fading.

 

“He hasn’t apologised yet…” Saito flatly states. Eyeing the teen furiously in his eyes. The boy sensing the meaning behind the statement rapidly and repeatedly tries to lower his head. Briskly repeating sorry in a damned loop until Saito lowered him to the ground.

 

The moment the boy's feet touched the floor; he immediately broke into a spirit. As if the devil was behind him.

 

“You're not hurt, are you?” Saito asks. Now fully turned to face his younger sister.

“Of course, not silly. Didn't I already say I'm amazing.” Yet small fickle tears fell from her eyes. A glistening trail stalked from the caverns of their home within her tear sacks. Her breathing intensified with small rapid breaths rapidly escaping her lips.

The small damp tears soon sprung into a stream of sadness. A fountain of torturous emotions erupting from her, as her legs buckle. Losing the strength to stand. Saito speedily reacts to catch his falling sister.

 

Saito could not help but stare at his sister. His eyes filled with a slight glaze of water which covered his iris; light shining with hidden bleak rays to highlight his dissatisfaction to the scene in front of him.

 

“You don’t need to look at me like that. I'm fine!” Akari states. A small plastic smile plasters itself across her face. Her eyes closed off as if shutting the world out; refusing the view of her friends or brother. The two girls now re-join by her side. A growing look of concern as they lovingly rub her arms, whispering lulls into her ears.

“It's okay he didn’t mean it”

“You not hurt”

 

“You don’t need to worry”

“Your safe we are here”

 

Sweet nothings which meant a lifetime of everything's. Yet as Akari eyes flutter open. Rivers of dejection and misery spill. Rapidly dragging themself from the quiver of her eyes of where her tears were stored. Now fall and plummet to the ground.

 

“I'm pathetic. He did not do anything… Why… Why am I so pathetic” She whimpers quietly, the mute confession barely escaping her lips.

 

Which was only met by Saito tightening his embrace around her. No words could ever be said to wave the paranoia from her heart. No mere words could erase the fear within her soul. Every fibre in Saito screamed to be a good brother; yet he could only say he did not know how. He only knows he just must be here to help.

 

Tears slowly died after an eternity and a moment in which time itself was seemly halted. No unwarranted eyes of familiar strangers looming over their shoulders, to peer into the misery being laid bare. Even the scuttling of feet and their rhythmic tapping of scurrying students dwindle into loose memories of sound.

 

It seemed like the world itself is giving them privacy.

                                                                                         

Saito slowly moves back to look at his sister, peering down directly to her face; analysing every fine detail to see if the tears have stopped. Wondering if she could handle being alone. The two friends (which silently watched the siblings act) begin to wonder close and gently pull Akari off. Replacing the warmth and safety Saito provided with their own unique talents.

 

“Akari classes are starting soon. We need to get you cleaned up okay. Saito will be here during lunch.” One of the friends stated. Starting to gently pull her away from Saito.

 

Akari did not resist; allowing her body to become piloted by her friends as she drifted away. Slowly drifting ever further into wild space; the longing embrace of a wandering emptiness of the hallways which enclose around them. Separating them as she continues to walk away.

 

Saito could only stare…

 

He wanted to say so much more, he wanted so much more from this. He wanted to see her smile. A deep parasitic thought plagues his mind of her tear-stained face. Her once cosy mellow blue eyes puff with a sultry red. A pulsing sadness heated from a desperate sudden despair.

 

He never liked leaving her like this, but class was starting soon. Saito turned away, finally turning away from the unoccupied hallway to travel through an ajar door to his classroom. The smooth wooden door quite rocking melodically from a breeze from an unlatched window inside. Calling Saito to enter, taunting him with the promise of the same repetitive tasks; the same scraping noise, for the same fate.

 

Yet a small, twisted gargle from a crow resting by the open window; made Saito quickly turn. Staring at the bird, right into its soulless eyes.

 

Before a sudden twist and bud of hate sprouted with the depths of his uncontrollable soul. The whiplash physically causes Saito to buckle his right leg in sudden shock; his body loosely whips itself back, as a foreign thought embeds itself into his mind.

 

Dark thoughts litter his mind suddenly. An overwhelming guilt, wave after wave of tides of emotional taunts, from a twisted voice pound away at his mind. A voice which did not sound like his own.

 

A taunt which fell to open blazon ears, numbing his soul to shudder at the hellish hymns which flutter innocently. More horrid dreadful ghastly words spark at the scene.

 

“Why did she cry? Nothing happened?”

 

“How pathetic?”

“How weak”

 

“How exhausting”

 

“How useless”

 

“How you must wish to be free”

 

Each sentence cut deeper and scar over Saito mind. Drowning himself in tainted Muk of evil. Words and phrases his heart has never felt become claimed by an abusive mind, spelling his darkest secrets for the world to hear and judge him by. The pounding mockery of a voice so openly reading his filth and unworthy thoughts.

 

Yet as Saito began to follow his perfected destiny, a sudden shade from an opposing window suddenly darkened the hall.

Quickly turning around to see the sudden intruder to the light. Encasing a noir fading darkness to encroach the still Saito. The crow chirps growing intense, targeting the poor boy. The soulless eyes which implanted the nightmare of traitors' evil thoughts laughing at his torment.

 

Before Saito fell into the door. Falling into the classroom door behind him.

 

Saitōs body rags as the door loudly swings open, the thundering vomit spews Saito from his nightmare, as his body plummets to the classroom floor.

 

In a daze, Saito's mind struggles to regain complete control over his vision, due to the pain from where his head personally met the floor. The burning pain which thumps and ligers in a wild rage on the back of Saito head.

But this does draw his attention to drift from the nightmare back to a still reality.

Saito begins to slow his breaths. Taking time to allow for each one to slow his heartbeat; forcefully closing his eyes, boarding them shut and tightly compacting his body to shut his doubtful sense. Only focus on his breathing.

 

In through the nose, out though the mouth.

 

His eyes are the first to flutter open.

 

Saito mind does not immediately transmit the image of the world to the body. The hungry darkness which previously suffocated all-natural light has disappeared. Seemly resign to swell within the shadows which borders the light. The elegant dance of artificial light from the hanging ceiling lights returning to its former glory. Their beams patrolling the corridors once more. The lovers which hide in a vale of darkness once again appears, with the same monotone rigid lines and order.

Yet Saito did not seem to register any of that.

Not when the crow which started everything off want still lingering outside the window. Still glaring as if it was transfixed to his very soul.

 

“Mr Saito” A booming voice yells.

 

The shock sparks life into Saito's body. Quickly throwing himself from the ground to face the sudden voice of his homeroom teacher.

 

“Sorry Mr Shimada, I don’t know… I just fell though, I got distracted, I guess.” Saito replies. Attempting to force a chuckle from the depths of his shaken heart. Broken dangle of words loosely held together to explain his entrance. Yet the pain from his head instead forced his subconscious to act first. Sending an arm to rub to attempt to sooth the pain. All to soothe an attempt to properly tell his falsified truth.

 

Eyeing the man himself (who had to slightly raise his head as his teacher did slightly tower over his height by a couple of inches) with his clean bald face flushed with a bewildered expression which plastered his confusion (and slight lingering doubts of concern for his student.) His professional outward display of a traditional educator; pristine uniform suit and colour coordinated tie. Mashed quite poorly with the ridiculous brow of confusion.

 

“If you're okay and well enough to safely manage to get to your desk by yourself we can start our discussions. Or do you want to head to the nurse's office if you're in that much pain?” Mr. Shimada asked. Eying Saito who continued to subconsciously rub the back of his head.

 

Ignorant laughter followed Saito to his desk. Eyes of blissful students stared with transfixed amusement to the imagined fool. Yet their eyes band together in illiterate hast; each set of eyes stalks their prey. Their claimed trophy of amusing entertainment for them to laugh at.

 

None of them saw anything. No subconscious instincts to raise hairs or small shocks of silent volts to detect danger. Saito could immediately tell that his entire class was clueless. Their mindless muttering about his own behaviour being “weird” or “on edge” swells in the mindless abundance of poor hearted fools. Every one of them lacked any sort of awareness of the abnormal happening of today.

 

To them everything was normal.

 

How the birds flock and hover around the school was perfectly fine. Or how the rodent's behaviour intensifying the strange and weird feeling around him. Everything was normal to them.

Like it truly did not exist.

Yet too Saito, he truly felt like everyone else did experience normalcy.

 

It was just the world which was not normal today. And he believed he was the only one who could see it...

Edging closer to his desk, the orderly rows leaving parity cleared runways for him to travel though. Lone students bag lazily spills and thrown from the obscure hide away under a desk; to now find themselves placed in unwanted places on the already slime walkway; forcing Saito to awkward alleviate his legs abnormally high to pass through safely.

 

Lugging his own bag to safely subjugate it to the fate of most school luggage, while making sure it would not become a brother to anyone else. Saito hastily pulls his plain dull lifeless notebook from his bag, which is a bright red case containing his equipment. Before lightly slamming them to the desk.

 

Small quips of murmurs flock across the classroom; chatter flutters aimlessly from student to student. Questions periodically asked by the teacher enlisted demands from students. Yet to Saito it felt too far away. Like the world itself sprung sounds under the depth of an ocean. Being fatly drowned in a sea of pressure, slowly failing to combat the tides as they are pulled under; murmurs stink in despair as voices lay in a crackled watery grave.

 

“Craw!” Yet a clear squawk of the ever-present crow hunts with clarity.

 

Spinning in his chair Saito whips in a daze fright to horrifyingly stare at the horrid crow, which taunting grinds its claws on the window. Teasingly poking his beck against the glass with a sickening repetitive tap. Almost gloating to the class to surrender its attention to them.

 

But in the sea only Saito was afloat enough to make out these taps.

“Mr Saito!” The booming voice of the teacher.

“Mr Saito you need to pay attention, I'm not sure what is interesting outside of my classroom, but I do know is that you need to pay attention!” Mr Shimada orders. The sound of stifled laughter, distorts in muted screeching's of lost voices; group together in a disunified flock.

“No sir, I was just thinking about something” Saito quickly fumbles.

“Oh, if these thoughts are so distracting then they must be relating to our discussion topic for homeroom today. Saito could you tell everyone in class what a soul is?” Mr Shimada questions.

 

“Souls in general? Or” Saito asked to clarify. Yet no reply is ever heard.

 

Hearing no vocal response Saito ponders his answer. Lowering his head to avoid any direct eye contact, the insufferable expectations drew unwanted attention to a mind already occupied on the haunting nightmare of the stalking crow.

As Saito wonders, the shadows once more spring to life. Covering the room is a vile of swollen black blanket; it piles and rides the ground below eyesight. Staying out of view.

 

“A soul is the belief that everything which represents who you are emotionally” Saito states. His eyes still locked to his side. Avoiding an uncomfortable sickening feeling forming around him. Shuddering in fear as he tries to close the feelings away.

 

Mr Shimada flatly glares towards Saito. The fixed pause of meditated interest as his mind ponders and analyses every bit of detail shown from the boy.

 

Yet below the darkness becomes emboldened. The lack of recognition has the darkness irritated as it grows. Slowly swallowing frozen students into its body.

 

“In a matter of opinion, you are correct. But tell me Saito. Is it your soul which makes you who you are?” A voice asks.

Saito's voice dried. Shocked into a booming silence of speechless assault against his very mind. Saito returns the figure gaze. Eye to eye the world around the two engulfed into a haunting darkness. Leaving the shell of two individuals to face each other.

“I don’t understand, '' Saito mutely replies. His fear is slightly overcome to mutter a single sentence. Facing down the once host of his teacher.

Before anything could answer, a symphony of disjointed voices clung together in a viewless picture. The darkness which previously ate away every student now cries out with the wrong sounds of tormented cries. His desk slowly melting into a pile of shadows and mist to disappear. Empty voices from lost bodies contort in a calling of illiterate words.

 

This sickness growing from the silent night; mist drupes of twines, leaking poisonous fuse of gas like substance into the lost room. The darkness corrupting everything in sight. The barren reach only serving a hopeless space for this darkness to consume.

Until bright light flashes erupt from the darkness. Sparks of flames burn brightly in the pitch-black hazes. Fleurissaint projects flare against the darkness. Each one unique in appearance: from clothing, expressions, builds to race itself.

 

Saito confusingly stares at the wondrous illusions. Creatures he is never seen before but each one sparks an innocent flame in the ocean of darkness. A salvation to the prolong night. Holding back the tide from completely engulfing the area around Saito; to become a meaningless waste of nothing roaming within the tides of the night. The centre shakes with signs of life. Glowing embers of these portraits voiceless act of defiance. Bound by the loud light to siren its calling to spread across the room.

 

The spark of hope against an unstoppable darkness.

 

Yet, soon every proud image, every burning flame of light soon infused and mingled with the darkness. Their light corrupted in solitude. Images fall under a hopeless nightmare. Saito only watches helplessly as bodies seem to suffocate and dwindle in strength. Muted pain printed on the illusions of them silently seem to beg and plead against the night; their demise follow each other. Every image standing proud soon turns to ash. Like the stars above dictated every outcome, fate itself forced this hegemony for nothing more than little amusement in a gutting death of hope. Agony, decay, loss filled the growing space; an overwhelming obsession with death clamped into the ember of ash where the images stood. Voices which range from the understandable to breathtakingly confusing break and transient sound itself for a chaotic symphony of pain.

 

“Worthless”

“Weakness”

 

“Failure”

 

Repeated on a hell bound loop. Each word corresponds with another disappearance of hope in the shell of a thousand lifeless tills. Slowly giving background to the embers of twilight.

 

Yet some images crowded together remained strong; each isolated pocket of individual spirits were quickly snuffed and engulfed in the tyrannical oppression of the night. Yet some which bonded together fought on. Hope flaming their desire and united them, binding them together to seemly continue this fight forever. Some fall, some disappear. Yet many are still seen fighting for now against the growing tide.

But one image, one single image transcended the events in front of him. Blinded by destiny this illusion ignores the siege in front of him; marching in a silent wake to define everything. Appearing before Saito.

Even as the pockets snuff out around them, even as the light dimmers completely this one image stood with vigour. Saito could not help but become enamoured by this illusion before him. Allowing it to edge closer to him; with each passing step sheds a tear of darkness from Saito surroundings. Until the heavenly light of wondrous hope complete envelopes him whole. Blinding white inferno erupts in a drunken fit on catholic madness; completely taking Saito by surprise.

The choice that followed was a different story…

“Stronger, we must be stronger.” An angelic voice murmurs.

 

The light pulls back; much like curtains rising for a play; teasingly swaying for the grand opening of the performance. This heavenly light shimmers with its dying breath. Giving the night a perfect viewing from its place in the stands of the background. Before allowing its gradual interruption.

Standing directly in front of Saito, the lifeless portrait beams with a sudden holy life. The previous native blue which imprinted every bit of hollow life before is over casted by a royal thick golden glow. Regal rays of sunlight beams all steaming from the light around this being.

A human, one quite plain face with little defining natural features but carries numerous small scars dotted around his face. His muscular appearance is not so well hidden by traditional cloth attire which slightly shows his chest. Hugging the cloth, two large scabbards bound to the body; each one holding a handle in its shaft. Long hazel hair neatly tied into a wound bun.

 

“Fates are an unusual thing friend, please don’t be alarmed. I haven’t enough time” the voice informs dramatically.

Saito, completely bewildered, nods his head. His voice became faint and tied in knots within himself.

“Be strong friend, be quicker than those who try to run from you, be wiser than that of your foes. Your life, your love, your hope is yours to burn and use for strength” The voice states.

 

“What's going to happen? One minute I was…” Saito mutely begs.

“Nightmares of heavenly dreams of a crushing reality. Discovering ancient losses and knowledge long despised. An adventure for thee who never asked for one. A dangerous paradise for the hopeful. Allow it to become your everything to survive.

Saito speechless mind slowly gather its Barings; pushing information together to digest the riddles of which the illusion spoke.

“I don’t want this. I need to go home… I need to be at school. My sister!” Saito breathlessly pleads.

The illusion reaches his bare left hand out towards Saito. A small golden flame springs to life from his palm. Steadily, the image pulls both of his hands to cover Saito’s; grasping in a comfort tight embrace. Allowing their hands to be set aflame together.

“Dear friend” The voice started.

“No one wanted this, but it's our soul's destiny”

 

Sudden burning screams and echoes erupt. Vile shots of screeching children and frightened adults; terror from imagined beast. Horror from nightmares exploded once the flames roared. Yet Saito could clearly determine one faint sombre call. One dwindles line in an ocean of misery.

 

“Don’t go brother…”

 

  

 

 

0