Ch. 07 A Bad Liar
747 1 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Origin...? Did he discover something about me!?

Ryan was sweating bullets inside his heart.

Meanwhile, Kiritsugu was silently looking at the confused Ryan as he then spoke plainly, "Your Mystic Eyes, and that strange practice of yours. Ordinary magi lineage can't produce such Mystery, Ryan."

Ryan secretly sighed in relief, feeling like he had just dodged a stray bullet. The truth about his origin was something he would probably keep to himself all alone. Revealing it to Kiritsugu or others wouldn't benefit him, it would more likely to invite problems to him instead.

The current status... it's fine as it was.

Seeing the inquiring gaze of Kiritsugu, Ryan was silent. He tried to sit, and looked far ahead, as if he could see through the wall.

"If it's a secret, then spare me the trouble, kid. I just want to know if it will be dangerous or not." Kiritsugu said offhandedly.

Each person had their own secret. Just like him... as long as Ryan would behave himself, Kiritsugu wouldn't bother with his little secret.

Ryan, seeing Kiritsugu was about to leave, decided to speak out, "It's not really a secret, but it too isn't something convenient to talk. You would also not believe it, I think."

Kiritsugu stopped. He looked back at Ryan again with a look as if saying, 'Try me, kid.'

"As far as I remember, me, my parents and grandparents were normal human. I don't know anything about magi nor magecraft at that point of time.

"However, it all changed ever since my awakening two years ago.

"Since that time, I have been getting strange dreams whenever I sleep. Sometimes it's clear, like I personally participate in it. At other times, I was merely an observer to the events happening in it.

"There, I also saw you, father Kiritsugu. And there was also a beautiful woman with long white hair with weird name staying beside you. Hmm, what was her name again..?

"Ah, yeah, her name was Irisviel. Irisviel von Einzbern." Ryan thought for a bit before he seemed to remember her name.

At that time, Kiritsugu stood still, unmoving. He was stunned. It was as if he was electrocuted when he heard her name coming from Ryan.

Seeing Kiritsugu's reaction, Ryan continued slowly, "There was also another woman who was often staying beside her, a young girl who were wearing armor most of the time. If I didn't remember it wrong, her name was... Saber.

"Yeah, what a strange name for a cute girl like her. Tck, tck, tck."

Now, Kiritsugu looked at Ryan strangely.

It was quite funny hearing that a rigid and hard-headed girl like Saber would have a day being called as cute by a 10-years-old kid. If Saber were to hear what Ryan was saying, Kiritsugu could only wonder how her expression would be...

It would be quite interesting, certainly.

But on another note, like what he had thought, Ryan's lineage was not something an ordinary magi family could compare to. Kiritsugu wore a serious look as he saw the mysterious purple light coming from Ryan's eyes.

"Later, after repeatedly having those strange dreams, I began to realize. That what I saw were events of the past. It was your past, right, father? The events of Fourth Holy Grail War." Ryan looked straight at Kiritsugu. At that moment, Ryan's eyes were already glowing brightly with mysterious purple light.

The purple light from Ryan's Mystic Eyes seemed to contain a mysterious and fascinating charm as if it was ever-present and all-knowing, seeing through Kiritsugu's innermost essence.

"Not just that, I also once saw a grown-up little Shirou. He was quite popular with the ladies, eh he he~." Ryan laughed a little. It was pretty fun watching Shirou troubling the Tohsaka sisters and Saber in the animations. Although there were moments he felt somewhat cringy, overall it was quite enjoyable sight.

"I believe that event is one of lil' Shirou's future.

"...[Heaven's Gaze]. Maybe just like its name implies, with its help, I am able to gaze into the distant past and peer into the vague future. But, no matter what kind of dream I have, I just can't see my own future." Ryan smiled calmly.

Kiritsugu, however, could notice a hint of sadness and reluctance within Ryan's eyes.

'That Mystic Eyes... so, it's like that. The ability to see through past and future. What a fearsome ability– as well as a burdensome ability for a kid who have only barely reached 10.'

"...Don't think too much, kid. It would be better if you think those as mere dreams. The future is uncertain, while the past has already passed. There is no need to bother with the unknown, kid. Just enjoy your youth while you can."

Kiritsugu patted Ryan's head softly as he kindly advised Ryan.

"But remember, if you ever meet other magus, especially one from the Mage's Association, don't show them any hints about your Mystic Eyes. Ever. Understand?"

Ryan, although bewildered by Kiritsugu's seriousness, nodded firmly.

"Good kid. Then, Ryan, what kind of magecrafts have you taught to Shirou?"

"Huh…?" Ryan was confounded by Kiritsugu's sudden question. Adding it with Kiritsugu's obviously fake smile, Ryan felt it did not bode well for him now. "How… do you know?"

"Shirou used to always pester me to teach him about magecraft since long ago. But, he has been kinda quiet lately, he didn't even talk about magecraft anymore. Obviously, it's because he has been taught by someone else." Kiritsugu was looking at Ryan with menacing smile.

"You can't blame me though, Shirou was also pestering me often. I just couldn't concentrate whenever he pestered me!"

"So, you casually taught him just to divert his attention?"

"Of course!" Ryan said matter-of-factly, as if there was no other way it was not like that.

"…then, how much have you taught to Shirou?"

"Only those you have already taught me, father. Gradation Air and Refinement. I don't know much about other magecrafts."

"You little kid, what a mess you did." Kiritsugu felt like another headache coming as he rubbed his temple.

"Just don't casually teach others about magecraft. There's no next time, kid!" For a moment there, Kiritsugu could look a hint of childish immaturity coming from Ryan. Even if he already had to bear the weight of the past and future vision, deep down, Ryan was still a child at heart. *sigh*

"Aye~"

Then, after saying some more advice for Ryan's magecraft practice, Kiritsugu left his room.

. . .

Inside the room, after Kiritsugu had left.

Ryan was pondering quietly when a black smoke silently flowed behind his back. That smoke gradually took shape into a woman.

Her appearance was nothing short of beautiful, her long white hair and snow-white skin was enchanting. She was wearing a one-piece black dress decorated with red lines, revealing hints of her slender figure and ample bosom.

If Kiritsugu were here, he would instantly recognize her – as she was none other than Irisviel von Einzbern, Kiritsugu's deceased wife. Although, the current one appearing behind Ryan was highly likely to be someone else wearing Irisviel's appearance.

"I can't imagine you'd have such incredible eyes, Ryan. You really surprised me there!"

Ryan glanced at the beautiful silhouette behind him.

To think that guy could also perfectly emulate her body... That ample and soft sensation on his back... What a bliss– Nay! What an affront to his deceased adopted 'mother'!

"My eyes could do no such thing." Ryan said plainly.

"Eh? But, earlier you said..."

"It can, however, see through one's essence. For example, I can know who you truly are." Ryan said as he looked at Black Iri profoundly.

"Then, pray tell, who am I, Ryan~?"

Ryan ignored Black Iri. Now, he felt he could walk a bit after that long ass sleep. It appeared to him that he was just exhausted after multiple breakthroughs last night.

"Hmph. Then what about those memories? Those about me, Kiritsugu and Saber were real, at least it is so as far as I remembered." Being ignored, Black Iri pouted a bit. She floated around Ryan, moving from his left shoulder to his right, as she asked about those dream Ryan talked. She looked interested to hear more of his story apparently.

"I have other means." Ryan shrugged. It was not to his interest telling her more than it was. Besides, how to say, Ryan sensed that behaviour of the Avenger in front of him seemed rather peculiar.

"By the way, don't use her appearance when you appear, just use your own appearance, Avenger. It's not convenient for me if you keep using Irisviel's appearance."

"Oh my~ Oh my~ You really know about me… I am shocked…" Black Iri appeared surprised. She took another look at Ryan, as if trying to see through his secrets.

"But, what do you mean I shouldn't use my appearance?? Do you... feel something untoward to your 'mother', Ryan? What a naughty boy~ to even see your 'mother' that way… I am extremely saddened for Kiritsugu…

"Or, do you prefer I appear in a certain girl's look? Preferably, Saber, perhaps? Fufu~"

Black Iri spoke in playful manner while looking at Ryan with mischievous gaze.

Huh? What the heck is this guy saying?? Does this dude like to cosplay as Irisviel that much!?

Ryan was quite surprised hearing Avenger/Black Iri's reply.

To see with one's eyes is to believe. Rather than wasting more words, Ryan opened his Mystic Eyes again. His eyes glowed with deep purple light, trying to see through Black Iri's true essence.

"This is... just how– who are you, actually?" Ryan jumped in shock.

At that moment, what Ryan saw through his Mystic Eyes was sharply different from what he imagined.

According to what he knew previously, Black Iri's true form should be Avenger (Angry Mainyu) who borrowed Irisviel's form to appear in front of Kiritsugu and Illyasviel.

However, what was within Ryan's sight currently was truly Irisviel von Einzbern. Although her spirit had been corrupted and became the likes of Black Holy Grail, her essence – the foundation of her being – was still 'Irisviel von Einzbern', a homunculus based on 'her' design.

'Wait a minute,…!'

"Since you know of the past events, you seem to think I should have died when I was sacrificed to be the Holy Grail, don't you?" Black Iri spoke, she was calmly looking at the surprised Ryan.

"Indeed, 'I' really died at that time. To be more precise, the one who died was a persona of 'Irisviel von Einzbern' – Emiya Kiritsugu's wife. Did you confuse me with that other guy inside the Holy Grail, perhaps?

"I am grateful for him giving me another chance at 'life' as an Avenger, but I am not him. My desire in this life is only one – to realize the Third Magic. If you can promise me to achieve it in my stead, I would be glad to devote myself to you, Ryan." Black Iri was caressing Ryan's face as she brought herself closer to him.

To realize the Third Magic. Indeed, it's the mission ingrained into Einzbern homunculus based on 'her' design. Although, if it was the 'Irisviel von Einzbern' that Ryan knew, she would have prioritized Kiritsugu's wish of world peace, rather than pursuing the Third Magic with such extreme obsession.

However, since this Black Iri was already corrupted by the evil contamination from Avenger, it was likely that she would have no scruples on the method to realize her desire. Even if human were to perceive her way as [Evil], it was of no concern to her as long as she could realize it.

More importantly, it seemed that this Black Iri had an uncanny confidence that Ryan could realize the Third Magic…

"Why me?" Ryan asked curtly as he shook off Black Iri's hand.

"Are you pretending, or are you truly clueless?" Black Iri asked with inscrutable smile on her unnaturally beautiful face.

Ryan: "…"

Ryan was silent. He kept looking at Black Iri as he really could not understand why she would think he was able to recover the lost Magic the Einzbern family had been vainly pursuing for years to no avail.

Black Iri went toward Ryan, she was floating lightly around him before she rested herself on Ryan's small back. Their bodies got closer than before, as Ryan could even feel her breath on his neck and the soft sensation of her ample bosom on his back.

It was at that moment that Black Iri suddenly whispered something unimaginable to Ryan, shaking his heart to the core, "Really, what a bad liar you are, Being from Beyond the Stars…" 

26