Ch. 09 Five Years Later…
724 1 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun was particularly warmer that day.

Even within the stadium, Ryan could still feel the heat from the air. Especially so at this high-tension event–the All Japan Kendo Championship.

The spectators were watching with bated breath, not wanting to miss any details during this decisive match.

At the moment, Ryan was currently facing the last match for deciding this year's champion.

His opponent was a man in his early thirties, a police officer from Tokyo.

Ryan was only 18 years old this year, he was the youngest competitor who managed to reach the final match in his first attempt. 

Their score was tied tightly. One wrong move and all would instantly end. Even if he were to lose this match, he was still the youngest runner-up to date or even for few years in the future. He could still try to win it again in the upcoming years.

Although, if he could win it, then Ryan would not back down that easily. The championship this year, he would definitely take it.

And then... it was the time to focus on something more important. 

Shua! Shua! Tack!

"...!!!"

The spectators all stood up. Their attention was full on this final match. 

Taiga Fujimura was looking at Ryan with concern in her eyes. Although now she had retired from practicing Kendo, she was the one who trained Ryan from zero until he could finally stand at this stage. 

Her heart was racing for Ryan's victory as she then shouted, 

"Go! Get him rekt'ed, Ryan!"

"..."

"..."

The spectators beside Taiga visibly distanced themselves from her.

Only a female student of Homuraha Academy who was originally accompanying Taiga still stood beside her. She tugged Taiga's hem as she whispered, 

"Sensei... it's rather embarrassing..."

"What embarrassing!? Ryan is fighting seriously there, shouldn't we support him with all we have instead? Don't you see how he was trembling with excitement from my cheers just now, Kanade?"

The female student who accompanied Taiga to watch Ryan's competition was Kanade Hayakawa. She was a student of class 3-A, Ryan's classmate. Also, she was the ex-manager of Kendo club at Homurahara Academy in previous term.

Since they were part of Kendo club, she joined the team to help Ryan manage things related to the event. Meanwhile, Taiga acted as their supervisor sent by Homurahara Academy. 

"Yosh, just like that! Go get him down, Ryan!"

Taiga continued on to cheer Ryan. She looked more passionate than before as she even roared, befitting her nickname as 'tiger'...

'Rather than excited, it looked like he was rather embarrassed, Sensei...'

Kanade thought silently, she was quite speechless seeing her teacher's enthusiasm. With her enthusiasm, it was like she was the one going on the stage rather than Ryan.

Ptak!

"Game Set!" The referee announced loudly as the final match finally ended. Beads of sweat were forming on his forehead as he watched how both competitors were fighting fiercely just now. In addition with Taiga's continuous roars, this match had also become a nerve-wracking experience for him.

Both Ryan and his opponent saluted each other before they shook hand, and returning to their separate venue.

After Ryan arrived at his resting area, he put off his helmet. When he was about to greet his two companions, Taiga rushed at him first, brushing his hair messily,

"Yo, what a beautiful finish, Ryan. Aren't you glad to be the youngest champion ever, eh?" Taiga said excitedly while wrapping her arm around Ryan's shoulder.

However, Ryan quickly shook himself from her grasp.

"We're in the public area, Fujimura-sensei. Please be mindful of your image. Even if you don't, I mind."

"Che~ you're much cuter when you were a kid, Ryan. Is this what they call a child's rebellious age? Onee-chan is so sad..." Taiga looked aggrieved as she tried wiping her nonexistent tears.

"..." Ryan opted for silence facing such shameless sister.

Kanade who was helping Ryan removing his kendo-gu laughed lightly after watching the duo's banter. 

"Done. Ugh, you're reeking too much of sweat, Ryan. Take a quick wash and rest first. But, the closing ceremony will start three hours later, so don't be late." Kanade reminded him gently after tidying up his clothes.

"Ah, ok. Thanks, Kanade. Don't worry, I'll be back quick."

Taiga was grinning to herself seeing Ryan and Kanade.

Then, after seeing Ryan went way back to their designated room, Kanade secretly spoke to Taiga, "...was Ryan that cute back then, Sensei?" She appeared interested in what Taiga said previously. 

"Ehem. You want to know, girl? I will tell you some stories about Ryan back then if you buy some things for me." Taiga whispered to Kanade, speaking with a mysterious look on her.

"...what things?" Kanade replied with a determined look. It was as if she would sacrifice anything to hear more about Ryan's childhood.

"Grr~ I can't go to buy souvenirs because I have some works to do. So, go in my stead, Kanade-chan. I will tell you more about his childhood stories if you do so–it's special edition, you know. You got my words, fu fu~~" 

"Undersood. Consider it done, Sensei! I will do my best!" Kanade's eyes brightened as if stars were sparkling there. She replied spiritedly to Taiga's request. 

"Yosh. That's the spirit. Here is list of the souvenirs, Kanade-chan."

"Eh...?" Seeing the long list of souvenirs on the paper, Kanade started feeling regretful to be easily carried away from Taiga's inducement earlier. But, still, Ryan's childhood stories...

*Gulp*

It's worth it!

Kanade firmly said in her heart, feeling somewhat shy and eager.

"Make sure you bring that bloke around too, since this is a foreign city after all. There's nothing wrong with being more careful." Taiga winked knowingly at Kanade after seeing her somewhat troubled. 

"Ah, yes, Sensei."

She's not doing this purposely, right? Nah, there's no way... We're talking about Taiga-sensei after all. But, even if she did this with ulterior motive, it feels... not that bad, honestly.

Kanade thought silently, smiling a little. She then went toward their resting room to ask for Ryan's company in buying these souvenirs. 

. . . 

At the resting room, Ryan was washing himself up in the shower. 

Thinking back... it had been five years since Kiritsugu's death that day. 

Ryan and Shirou had both grown up. Shirou was already sitting in the eleventh grade. While Ryan was ahead further, he was in the twelfth grade, about to graduate in just few months later. 

In these five years, Ryan had been training and cultivating like crazy. He also won several kendo tournaments along the years. He used some of the prize money for setting up a small business for fun, while the rest were to support their household. Though, Shirou still preferred to work part-time too, as he said it was good for experience. 

As the result of his training, his stats and skills had grown considerably further in these last five years. 

When Ryan looked at his right hand then, unknowingly, a vague red mark had appeared on it. That mark looked like nothing more than a bruise mark, but if someone carefully looked at it, they might probably make out an image of three lines forming a crystal-like symbol from that red mark–this mark, was an initial form of the Command Spell. 

"It has finally begun, huh?" 

The Fifth Holy Grail War. The battle between seven pairs of Master and Servant–alongside the clash of their wishes and ideals. 

Even when he was still in Tokyo, quite distance away from Fuyuki City, Ryan could still feel the magical connection he had with the Grail after the Command Spell appeared on his right hand. 

The only thing left for him to do now was to summon his Servant. 

As for after that, Ryan would probably need to assess the situation first before determining his next goal. Although he was confident in his strength, he had yet to actually test it out by battling with real Servants after all. 

His summoned Servant would likely increase his strength and odd of survival if anything else. 

"Hmm, are you ready for the Holy Grail War, Ryan?" 

Black Iri appeared soundlessly behind Ryan, whispering softly at his ear. She looked at the red mark on Ryan's hand thoughtfully. 

Her preparation was already complete. Now, even if Ryan wanted to remove her or fix his altered magic circuit, that wouldn't matter as what she had to do was already done. 

For this eight years she had been silently enduring and acting in a way to not make Ryan notice something. With the start of this Holy Grail War, Ryan would be nothing more than a vessel for 'his' descent. 

If so... At least that girl wouldn't need to shoulder this burden... 

'Tsk. What a pathetic feeling this body has.' 

Still, if she didn't see it herself, she wouldn't even believe how Ryan was able to modify his whole body into magic circuit. This achievement alone already surpassed the Einzbern family–in which they could only produce someone with 70% of their body comprised from magic circuit; and that person was none other than 'Irisviel's daughter – Illyasviel von Einzbern.

If Ryan were to be the Lesser Grail, he would most likely to be the perfect vessel more than that girl. 

"As I promised, the fated moment has arrived, and 'I' will grant you your desire if you wish to, Ryan." 

Black Iri smiled sweetly, though her intention was laced with poisonous lance. 

No matter what Ryan chose to do, he couldn't escape his fate to be its vessel in the end. 

"Hmm, I don't have any pressing matter to be prepared. Let the Grail decide which Servant would be suitable for me." 

"Aren't you too carefree?" Black Iri shook her head a bit, feeling Ryan quite underestimated the War. 

Although, the more Ryan be like this, the better it would be for her consequent plan. 

"I join the War merely for the fun of it. I am not picky person, I can probably accept any Servant I got. 

"However, it would be even better if they're good-looking, have plentiful chest and nice booty. Another plus if they are also slightly... more perverted." 

Black Iri:"..." 

You said you're not picky person? Then what was with all those specific requirements?! What a lustful hypocrite!! 

"Speaking of which, is your preparation done, Avenger?" 

"Huh...?" 

"I mean, about the Lesser Grail inside me. I don't want it to be incomplete after the War has finally begun now." 

His words sounded calm. But to Black Iri, it was no different than the rumbling of thunders. Because, what Ryan had just said was the deepest secret she had hid from him for these past eight years. 

31