Ch. 12 You think you’ve outsmarted me? Fat chance!
717 3 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The warmth of morning sunshine greeted Ryan on his wake. When he tried to straighten his back, he felt his right side was slightly heavy than usual. As he turned around, he saw Kanade was sleeping, laying her head soundly on his shoulder. Fuji-nee who was seated in front of Kanade was also still sleeping, she leaned on the window next to her left. 

Looking at them resting peacefully, Ryan was slowly moving himself carefully so as to not disturb them. 

Thinking back on last night, it was not surprising that they were still resting this early morning. After all the bustling celebration and packing last night, in addition with them had to catch the early train; Taiga and Kanade who had less stamina than Ryan would inevitably need more rest. 

The scenery of town buildings and trees outside were quickly passed by as their train drove fast toward Fuyuki City.

"The Grand Order..."

Ryan remembered his discontinued pop novel which was based on Fate/Grand Order. It was merely something he wrote for fun; something he did to refresh his memory of the events happening in this world.

The timeline of Fate/Grand Order and Fate/Stay Night was supposedly different, so it would be fine to write it down, right…

'Huh? This feeling..!'

Ryan calmly closed his eyes as he leaned on the seat-back, seemingly to relax. Secretly, Ryan enhanced his senses to capture that fleeting source of mana fluctuation.

Within that second, he felt like someone was spying on him. Yet, that feeling just disappeared as fast as when it appeared, like an illusion.

That sudden fluctuation felt like someone who had been startled, so they momentarily lost control of their concealment for a moment. 

After a while, Ryan put the matter aside for now.

If there was really someone tailing him, then they would definitely follow him when he got down the train. Even if he didn't take initiative, they would have to confront him at some point anyway. More importantly, it was not to his advantage to startle his 'tail' inside the train.

Ryan picked the small notes from his pocket and began writing some plotline he remembered in it.

'Since I have the chance, then it's time to continue writing it. Man... it's been so long, and the view is just pitifully low. I miss my smartphone...

'I don't remember much about Lostbelts, so let's wrap it up with the Seventh Singularity.'

As of this moment, Ryan continued to write the chapters of his pop novel based on the Fate/Grand Order stories he had finished back when he was still alive.

'Ah, damn... I only remember until the Seventh Singularity. I haven't even finished the battle in the Timeless Temple, not to mention the Lostbelts...

'Wait. After Londonium, was it the Singularity about Francis Drake or Lion King... Shit! My memory's failing me!

'If I knew I was going to this world after dying, then I would have memorized the entire tidbits about this world!'

Ryan looked quite distressed at that moment. 

Perhaps because of his laziness or his lack of desire to play the game, he only barely finished the Seventh Singularity by the time before he died back then. 

He did read some articles about the continuation of events after the First Act – Observer on Timeless Temple; which were the Epic of Remnants and the Lostbelts. 

But, since he had yet to actually finish the story himself, he couldn't capture the feels enough to write them down now...

Honestly, what he did there could be called plagiarism, but since they were technically in different world altogether... it should not be, right? Hopefully.

Anyway since I believe it as such, so be it, wkwkwk~

Ryan was grinning mischievously as he continued to jot down what he remembered, and began aligning them as he felt like it.

Just like that, minutes passed silently as Ryan was engrossed in his own world, writing down like crazy.

At some point, Kanade and Taiga also woke up. After some refreshing break in the bathroom, they chatted idly as they waited for their arrival at Fuyuki City in the next few hours.

Taiga went on telling Kanade about Ryan's childhood. Ryan would occasionally chime in to refute some of her claim, while Kanade laughed lightly as she saw their banters.

Ding! Ding! Ding!  

At around 11 AM, the sound of ringing bells signaled that the train had arrived at their destination – Fuyuki City.

"Woah! Finally! The smell of home's really the best! Being in Tokyo was fun, but Fuyuki is still the best for me." Taiga Fujimura was looking more joyful after they had arrived at Fuyuki.

"You can go back home first. It's already this late anyway, there's not really use taking class now. You kids need to rest more, let adult deal with the paperwork. 

"Bring Kanade to her home, Ryan. Buuut~, don't you dare to bring her to strange places, alright?! I am watching you, Nyo ho ho~ " 

Taiga immediately went toward the parking lot, taking back her parked motorcycle. She was going toward Homurahara Academy for reporting in their success, bringing along the souvenirs with her. 

"And don't be late for tomorrow's class, Ryannn!" 

Seeing Taiga was already gone, Ryan turned toward Kanade, "Wanna grab a drink?" 

"...um, sorry, my parents already called me. I will go home first... Let's have drinks together next time, Ryan." 

She glanced at her phone for a moment. There were several missed calls from familiar number that had been calling her for a while since they were on train. 

"Nah, no probs. Let's get you home then." 

"...thanks." Kanade smiled. 

Ryan felt like she seemed wanting to say something, but she was also reluctant to say it. In the end, she just smiled them away in silence. 

'...ah, really, I am not good at these kind of things...' Ryan thought quietly. 

Both Ryan and Kanade then hopped on the bus toward Miyama Town, as her house was located there. During the way back, Kanade was quieter than before. She looked preoccupied in some matters, as she even tripped her feet few times in her inattentive moment. 

Back then, Ryan first met Kanade at one of small-scale kendo tournament held in the Fuyuki City when he recently joined Homurahara Academy. 

Kanade was the runner-up, as she lost to Ryan in the last match. Even then, she looked more bright and cheerful than how she was looking now.

At that time, even after her defeat, the light inside her eyes was still looking more spirited and filled with desire to surpass Ryan. It was her passion that made Ryan took notice of her at that time. 

After they both realized the other party also attended the same school; with their shared interest, they eventually grew closer as friends. 

However, Ryan felt that she was quite downtrodden in these past few months. He insisted to take her along in the competition to divert her attention, and it was quite useful as she was more cheerful. 

Though, when they returned to Fuyuki, she was back to how she was previously; looking dispirited.  

'Come to think of it, I haven't known her house yet. She said it is around the foreigner's district in Miyama, but she didn't say where it is exactly.' 

"Mind if I visit your house now, Kanade?" 

"Huh? What gives...?" 

"Thinking back, I haven't known your house ever since our meeting two years ago. You have come to my house often, so it's fine if I also visit your house in return, right?" 

"W-wa-whaa...!" 

"I can't?" 

"No- you can... It's just..., my house isn't that..." 

"Then, it's settled. If you don't mind, I will go to your house now. I haven't anything planned for today any...way... Oh, shoot!" 

Ryan was suddenly reminded of his 'tail' as he had realized inside the train before. 

Rather than allowing 'them' to hold his weak point, he would probably have to adjust his visit to her house for later date... 

"...Um, I kinda forgot I have an appointment this noon. Sorry, I will visit your home next time, Kanade." 

Kanade looked somewhat confused when Ryan suddenly cancelled his plan. She felt slightly regretful, yet also strangely relieved at the notion. 

"Nah, that's fine. Actually, I also have some works to do soon, so I have been anxious whether I am late or not... You don't need to worry, Ryan. I am fine." Kanade smiled lightly. She apparently faintly realized why Ryan was insisting to visit her place earlier. 

Yet, again, that strange feeling Ryan sensed before still made him unsettled. 

Because, more often than not, when people say they are fine, they are actually not. 

Even so, Ryan also couldn't risk exposing her toward the danger in magi's world. In the end, he only nodded, trying to believe her words as it was. 

At the next stop, Ryan got down first as that place was already near to Emiya residence. 

It's still noon, so Shirou should not be home yet. Let's settle this quick then. 

'Stage, set.' 

"Do you want me to invite you out? Or would you rather show yourself on your own? Depending on your choice, it may end pretty bad or average for you. I don't have a lot of time, so let's finish this hide-and-seek already. Ya' know, I am not quite in a good mood now." 

At the deserted back alleyway near Emiya residence, Ryan announced coldly. 

It was still at middle of the day, but the air felt heavy and cold for some reason. The surrounding area also had unknowingly turned into an eerie silence. 

Swoosh!! 

Before Ryan could react, a thin sword had noiselessly arrived at Ryan's neck in the blink of an eye. 

"You're quite the audacious one, aren't you, kid? Now, I shall ask and you answer. If your answer satisfies me, I may consider letting you keep that useless head of yours attached to your neck. If not,… you are also welcome to try." A detached, and beautiful voice sounded right behind Ryan as he could feel the cold iron on his neck. 

From the voice, Ryan concluded the assailant was a woman, but he had yet to know who she was. Though,… 

"How can you know about the 'Grand Order'?" That assailant lady pressed her thin sword a bit on Ryan while asking coldly. 

Ryan appeared unfazed. He was standing still as he said, "…honestly, I have been dying to try this line since ages ago. Pity I lack the chance to use it." 

"Huh? Who allowed you to speak nonsense, kid?" 

Displeased at Ryan's disobedience and fearless tone, she slightly grazed the thin sword on Ryan's neck to threaten him. 

However, to her surprise, what came out was not fresh blood like she had imagined. There was only a dry, hot air flowed out from the 'wound'. 

"You may have outsmarted me, but I outsmarted your outsmarting, lady." 

Ryan smiled, he was holding a modified silver revolver pointed on her back at close range. Behind him, there were several projection of Desert Eagles, Magnum sniper rifles, and FN P90s; all ready to shoot at moment's notice.  

When the assailant lady turned her head, the scene she saw at that moment, along with Ryan's smug laugh, numbed her mind for a second. 

Damn @$$π0\£! This is why I don't like dealings with human…! Can't you do it with moderation! You think you're going to war, kid?!! 

"FYI, I am a pro gender equality. I won't pull my punches even if you're a beautiful lady. So, would you like it rough or would you just surrender?" Ryan was smiling like a sunshine young man. 

Although, his words and that group of murderous weapons behind him contrasted sharply with his harmless-looking smile. 

'...F*ck you, kid!'

. . . 

Above a building not far from Kanade's house. A silhouette could be seen watching Kanade from afar, as they saw how Kanade looked hesitant to enter her house. It was as if there was something terrible inside it, enough to make her looking that scared. 

"....." 

Kanade wanted to open the door, but she held her hand back again. This was already the fourth time. Every times when she was about to open the doorknob, she hesitated. 

When she tried again for the fifth time, the door suddenly opened from inside. 

A middle-aged man with slovenly beard and gaunt eyes looked surprised seeing Kanade. 

"Oh... you're back, Kanade... why'd you still standing outside? Come inside first." 

"Pa..." 

"Your mother said she's going to be late again tonight, so I have cooked something for us. I am going to pick up your sister first, take care at home, Kanade." 

"Um... En, I understand, Father. Don't worry." Kanade smiled faintly. 

But... one could even feel that she smiled not because of happiness. It was more like a feeling of resignation upon her fate.

27