Ch. 24 Fateful Night (01)
453 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Few moments earlier…

“Yo. You’re looking real pathetic, man. It seems like we are similarly a foolish dreamer.

“But hey, if you make these much noises, people gonna notice soon.”

When Ryan turned around to see owner of that voice, he couldn’t help but feeling an indescribable shock in his heart, as if thousand alpacas were running wild inside his mind.

A man with same features as him, albeit looking slightly older, was currently staring down at him.

“Oi oi oi… For real?” 

The man in front of Ryan grinned. “This couldn’t be more real, buddy.”

Hearing his affirmation, Ryan went silent. 

The first time Ryan saw that man, he quickly knew that man’s real identity. 

However, knowing it was one thing, but understanding his existence was another matter altogether. 

It was just… it felt so surreal to Ryan.  

Seeing his own future which had already happened, while he was still living in the present and planning to do many things to do in the future; Ryan had a mixed feeling about it. 

He could somewhat understand what Shirou felt when he saw Emiya (Archer) then. 

"Then, which class are you?" 

"Archer." 

Archer? Then his Master, could it be Rin?? 

"Damn...what a crazy world..." 

So, even someone like him could die in this world, huh. Or at least, there was something that could force him to form a contract with the World... 

Because Ryan knew he would not even consider it if the situation didn't force him. He believed he could be one of strongest existences in this world even without making a nonsensical contract with the World. 

This belief was backed by Arcane Arts and the System Panel within him. 

"You did me a favor by weakening them so much, I can spare you from death at least. I'll be back soon." 

Archer had disappeared from Ryan's view in that instant. 

Hearing his words, Ryan suddenly felt a bad omen. 'Fuck! Why do these people mostly want to kill their past self?! Did they feel shameful of their past then wanting to erase them from existence?! Damned ghost from the future!!' 

Ryan was reminded of Emiya (Archer) who also wanted to kill Shirou. 

Seeing that even his future self wanted to kill him too, Ryan didn't know whether to laugh or cry at his similarity with Shirou's fate... 

He quietly urged his recovery as fast as possible. He could feel Archer had already locked on his presence, so that he could quickly return to Ryan's place no matter where he went. 

When Ryan tried to look at direction Archer had gone, he saw that both Gilgamesh and Berserker were still standing despite their grievous injuries. 

‘Holy shit…  these guys are tougher than I thought!’ 

Meanwhile, currently, Archer had already appeared inside the crater. He quietly watched Gilgamesh’s sorry state who somehow managed to survive the explosion. 

Not far from Gilgamesh, Berserker also managed to keep standing despite the heavy injuries inflicted on his body. 

"THAT FUCKING MONGREL!" 

Gilgamesh was covered in Chain of Heaven as they coiled on the space around him, creating an absolute space which made him able to withstand Ryan’s explosion blast. 

When Archer looked around, he saw that some of Ryan’s artillery had been destroyed, it was likely Gilgamesh's doing in that split second. By doing so he had managed to reduce lethality of the trap. 

"My younger self is still too rough. Whatever. I’ll personally send you on your way, Gilgamesh, Heracles." 

The moment Archer spoke, Gilgamesh finally realized there was an extra person in his vicinity. 

"Who?!" 

A sharp sword had slashed through gap in the battered Chain of Heaven, severing Gilgamesh's head in an instant. 

"Damn it–!!" 

At the place Gilgamesh died, a shadow figure had made her entrance. She absentmindedly swallowed Gilgamesh's corpse before following Archer again. 

Archer immediately went toward Berserker. Similar with what he did toward Gilgamesh, Berserker met his end at Archer's hand before being swallowed by that shadow figure. 

"This much should have been sufficient." 

"Kekeke! So ruthless. So heartless. Even without doing much, you have managed to gather these much soul energy. I admire you, young man."  

A decrepit old man laughed from behind Archer. The way he looked at Archer showed awe, fear and deference; he had obviously submitted to Archer. 

"...just do your part, old bastard. Prepare the ritual for Avenger's descent soon." 

Archer said indifferently. He glanced at Old man Zouken for a second before he turned to look at Sakura who had been controlled by him. 

At that time when he went to the Matou mansion, he had secretly made a deal with the old bastard instead of killing him. 

To properly use Fuyuki Holy Grail, Archer had to remove the impurities inside it first. By using Sakura as the catalyst, he would force Avenger to descend before he devoured him and the remaining corruption inside the Greater Grail. 

Therefore, he subdued old man Zouken to do his bidding in the dark. 

"Lancer, Rider, Berserker, Caster, and this special stray Servant from previous Holy Grail War. These are indeed enough. 

"Kekeke! Finally... My dream is almost within my reach..." 

Old man Zouken had gradually disappeared, turning into countless bugs as his voice echoed in the surrounding. He appeared more excited than Archer about the prospect of summoning Avenger. 

Now, I only need one other material from my younger self... 

With a swish, Archer had disappeared from the crater. 

Few seconds later, when he had arrived at Ryan's place, he found out that Ryan was about to escape. 

"Why the rush? I still have a lot to talk with you though." Archer smiled. 

But Archer's smile felt somewhat eerie to Ryan, so he shook his head helplessly, 

"Bro, spare me the nonsense alright? I still want to live longer, and my end would be different from yours. Definitely. So, don't take out your grudge and anger on me." 

Archer looked somewhat surprised. He laughed lightly as though a spring breeze. There was no sign that he was harboring hostility to Ryan at all. 

"But there's no need for another Dragon King to appear in this world. Sorry to say– but, you really should just die!" 

"...I knew it. You really want to make things difficult for me, fucker!" 

To put Ryan down, Archer concluded that he had to use an absolute force to make him utterly powerless to resist. 

He knew himself better than anyone else after all. 

Since Archer was his future self, Ryan thought that he must know more trump cards than himself. Thus, rather than half-assed move, Ryan decided that he had to use his strongest form to face off against Archer. 

Better be safe than sorry after all. 

Both men looked at each other. They were smiling brightly like they were close friends who had finally met again after being separated for long. 

Abyssal Dragon Raze All Creation! 

Frost Dragon Soar the Heaven! 

Without another word, both men suddenly lunged viciously toward each other. 

They each had transformed into a black dragon and a blue dragon respectively, each went straight for the instant kill! 

Black and blue light collided fiercely on the sky above Einzbern forest. 

One carried the profound intent to destroy the world and all its creatures. 

While the other one bore an unyielding, free-spirit will who wished to travel the sky unfettered. 

Two dragons fought fiercely on the sky and earth, seemingly turning the world upside down. Their clash shattered the forest, cleaved through the clouds, and made various strange apparitions to appear in bright daylight. 

If anything, the intensity of their battle far exceeded Ryan's earlier battle against Gilgamesh and Berserker! 

BAM! 

BAM! 

BOOM!!! 

As they fought, unfamiliar memories began to slowly flow toward Ryan’s mind. 

Ryan saw the sight of a man who was betrayed by his first love. 

“Is this all you got? Pathetic!” Archer shot heavy kick at Ryan, sending him crashing deep into the forest. 

A loud howl came from below as Ryan shot out again, his claw reached out to Archer’s neck in vigorous momentum. 

Another fierce battle occurred again on the sky as the two dragons fought with no hold barred! 

At same time, Ryan glimpsed upon another memories. It was when that man had finally found his happiness and let go of his old hatred. 

He, along with his new companions, journeyed through the vast starry sky. He looked calmer and contented as he went out together with his wife. 

However, contrary to what Ryan expected, it was also at that period when that man was betrayed once more. This time by the very people he once protected and cared for; his new companions, who worked together with his forgotten past, going as far as using despicable move by taking his family hostage.

And thus, that man lost his hope; he had finally realized that nothing in this world was worth to hold on to. As such, he descended into frenzied rage, seeking to destroy anything in the damned world. 

BOOM!!! 

Few seconds later, after a particularly strong collision between them, a weak blue light shot out far to the distance. 

Drops of blue blood seemed to fall from the blue light, turning into ice droplets as they fell to the ground. 

"...he escaped. I thought he would insist to fight to the end. Well, no matter. You can keep 'it' for now, Ryan." 

Archer smiled lightly. Ryan's escape was not too much of concern to him. He could just take what he wanted anytime anyway. 

Moreover, Archer had already crippled Ryan's Frost Dragon King Arcane Art in their fight, effectively reducing his combat power later on. 

For Archer, what's important now was to make sure that nothing went wrong in the process of extracting Avenger from the Greater Grail. After that, he would be one step closer to his goal... 

At the same time, a certain girl in Homurahara Academy felt that her connection with Archer had been suddenly severed.  

She instinctively looked toward the far side forest on outskirt of Fuyuki City. 

“Archer…” 

An ominous foreboding rose from within her heart. 

~ ~ ~ 

"That's how it is. 

So, how about your case, Yu?” 

Ryan sighed after he had finished telling his experience meeting Archer to Yu and Illyasviel. 

At same time, he had also finished reattaching the severed limbs of Illya’s maids– hm, no, that was not entirely correct. Since he had won against Illya, he took her maids as his own after he modified their core settings. 

[Dragon Heart 5* -> 4*] 

A sudden notification alerted Ryan that one of his dragon hearts that had been silently destroyed. 

'...fuck!' 

He didn't really know what Archer had done to him in their fight. Ryan only remembered that he was killed once by Archer before he was revived by sacrificing one of his dragon hearts and escaped. 

However, since then, he had been feeling unbelievable pain on his dragon heart, it looked like a formless energy was trying to devour them one by one. 

The panel which showed progress of his Frost Dragon Arcane Art was also flickering non-stop, as though it could disappear at any moment. 

At this rate, he would probably lose his accumulated dragon hearts when evening arrived. And it was also probably around the time Archer would come to him again. 

In truth, Ryan's [Dragon Heart] was the foundation of his Frost Dragon King Arcane Art. If he lost them all, his Dragon King Arcane Art would be basically crippled. 

Archer's move was too ruthless! 

He had basically stripped Ryan from his strongest power. 

“…firstly, let me ask you something, Ryan.” Illyasviel suddenly asked. 

“Hmm? Go on then.” Ryan wondered what Illyasviel wanted to ask him about. 

“Although it is lacking in some places and has been modified to certain extent, the foundation of your Transmutation magecraft is Einzbern’s magecraft, correct? Who taught you Einzbern’s specialty and made you a Lesser Grail?” 

Illyasviel looked at Ryan meaningfully. 

“…is it important, little sister?” Ryan was quiet for few seconds before he returned a question back at her. 

“If you tell me, I will also tell you my guess about your Servant’s case. Hmph. I won’t tell you for free.” She stuck out her tongue, sneering cutely at him. 

‘This brat…! Endure it…!’ 

“It’s your mother; Irisviel.” 

“..!!” 

Illya appeared taken aback when she heard his answer. She thought her mother had died in the Fourth Holy Grail War! 

“Of course, it was not your real mother. She was just a corrupted remnant who somehow managed to latch herself on to me.” 

“Hmmm……” Illya looked at Ryan suspiciously. 

“There’s no need to guess, she’s dead.” Ryan shrugged lightly. “Anyway, I have answered your question, little sister. Now it’s your turn.” 

Illya sighed a little before she spoke with defeated look, “No wonder a certain someone called you idiot. I have given you the hint, yet you still didn’t realize it. 

That certain someone was gnashing her teeth at the side, looking menacingly at Illyasviel to threaten her. 

“But, a promise is a promise. I am someone who keep my words, unlike Kiritsugu...” 

Ryan frowned slightly. 

“Since you are also a Lesser Grail, having your magic circuit modified by an Einzbern, then you should also hold similar attribute with me; we are part of a complex wish-granting device, Ryan.” 

Illyasviel left those words behind as she retreated to the guest room Ryan had prepared for her. 

In the room, Yu Miaoyi and Ryan were left staring at each other with some degree of confusion on their face. 

“…sorry.” 

Ryan decided to break their silence first. 

“What for? You’re not guilty of anything. I just returned the favor I owed to you.” Yu scoffed. 

Favor? Wait. The one who made a promise with me is Hinako Akuta who is still living well in this time period. She should not… 

“If you’re wondering, I am not the same person who owed you that favor. But I also have her memories. I am an Assassin Servant – Yu Miaoyi.” 

Ryan was slightly stunned. It could also be used like that…? 

“…it’s not just that. I thought you were Artoria, so I… hmn, well you know, I couldn’t help it.” 

“Ah, those times when we fucked? Since you mistook me for another woman, I also returned the favor; I thought of lord Xiang Yu in your place.” 

She was smiling with evil smirk plastered on her face. She felt like she had taken a small revenge when she saw the dumbfounded look on Ryan’s face just now. 

Ryan: “…” 

The fuck?! This woman is quite ruthless indeed… well, it’s also partly my fault… but, damn, that hurts my pride, man… 

Ryan shook his head helplessly. He decided to put that matter aside as he focused his attention on the two maids lying on his workshop table. 

Since my Frost Dragon King Arcane Art is going to be ruined sooner or later,… 

Under Yu Miaoyi’s shocked gaze, she saw Ryan had suddenly stabbed himself in the heart! 

“Wait! What are you thinking to do?!” 

Did his mind go nut after I tell him that matter?? If he really means it, I also won't mind his advance– 

“Shuush! I am trying something here, don’t disturb me, Assassin.” 

When she saw that Ryan still looked sane and seemed to have a plan, she finally felt at ease, she stopped preventing what Ryan wanted to do. 

She felt a bit strange when she remembered her random thought from earlier. 'What's strange with me?? Did I really just worry about this bastard...?' 

Soon after, Assassin saw Ryan took out a translucent icy heart from his body. He muttered some lines which were probably series of magic chant before he shoved that icy heart into the chest of one of the homunculus maids. 

Bright azure light filled the room as he put his dragon heart inside the maid. 

There was a resistance coming from the dragon heart when it was about to fuse with the maid. Ryan then slowly guided and manipulated her mana circuit to be more compatible with his dragon heart. 

Beads of sweat filled his face as he went in full concentration as a slightest mistake in the fusion would result in destroying both the dragon heart and the maid. 

After around fifteen minutes later, the bright azure light inside the room had gradually dimmed along with the successful fusion. 

“Done. It’s a success, finally.” Ryan heaved a sigh of relief upon seeing his dragon heart had been transplanted finely into the maid. 

Rather than allowing his dragon heart to be destroyed one by one and having his hard work in all these years became meaningless, Ryan decided to store his dragon hearts into another vessel who were not tainted by Archer’s sinister curse. Illya’s maids were one of his choices. 

If the time was right, perhaps he could retrieve them again later. 

“Now then, another one.” 

Ryan began to work on another maid who was laid down beside the previous maid. 

After ten minutes later, Ryan had finished transplanting another one of his dragon hearts. He had familiarized himself with the process and the possible risks, that was why he finished it earlier than the first experiment.  

“The final one would be for her…” 

He was indebted to Kiritsugu back then. If it was possible, he wanted to repay his karma with Kiritsugu through his daughter. 

Ryan went toward Illya’s room in a hurry, in case the curse from Archer would relapse again and destroyed his remaining two dragon hearts. 

Assassin had a strange look on her face when she heard the commotion happening inside Illya’s room. 

“Perverted brother, what are you doing?!” 

“Don’t worry, little sis. It only hurts at beginning, you will get used to it in no time. It would definitely feel better, I guarantee it!”

“Kyaa! Stop! At least, don’t ruin my clothes! AHH~”

Illya was screaming in pain at first few minutes. However, it did not take long time before she slightly moaned in bliss, feeling better with each moments passed. 

“…this pair of brother and sister… wonder what they’re doing in the room there…” 

Although she knew that Ryan was doing a proper matter inside, but she still couldn’t help feeling speechless at that moment.

[Dragon Heart 2* -> 1*] 

[Dragon Heart 1* -> 0] 

The time when Ryan finished transplanting his dragon heart to Illyasviel was also the moment when his last remaining one was destroyed by the curse. 

When the curse felt that Ryan had no more dragon heart, it quietly disappeared in the form of black smoke who left Ryan’s body at that moment. 

[Frost Dragon King Arca–––] 

[Frost–––] 

[––––––] 

Along with disappearance of his last dragon heart, the panel which showed the Frost Dragon Arcane Art also gradually ceased to exist.  

“…so, it’s really gone… the power I trained since I was young… hehehe… damn it!!” 

When Assassin came near him, she could feel a gloomy, desolate aura coming from Ryan. 

It was the aura of someone who was withering, their spirit barely survived like flickering candle amidst the storm. 

It was probably what Ryan was feeling at that moment, after having something he relied on heavily suddenly taken away from him. 

17