Ch. 28 Fateful Night (05)
393 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You. Which True Ancestors or Dead Apostles is your 'parent'?" Zouken was perplexed.

The cuts caused by Kanade's blood mist on his body had been healed as his worms provided enough life force to heal them.

He did not appear to be confounded even after witnessing many of his insects were devoured by Kanade's blood mist. Instead, he appeared slightly interested at the origin of her ability.

"..."

True Ancestors? Dead Apostles? Who the hell are they??

Kanade was surrounded by blood spheres which were floating around her, being her means of attack and defense at same time.

When she heard Zouken's question, she couldn't help remembering the scene back at ten years ago. At that time when great conflagration burned her home and family...

If her memory served her correct, she seemed to see image of an incomparably devilish beautiful woman. It was that existence who offered her a 'help' through their contract.

'Is she the True Ancestor or Dead Apostles he spoke of??'

Sizzle…! Sizzle…!

The blade-winged worms had melted off inside the blood mist as they rained down on Kanade, trying to slice her up. Even so, some of them still managed to pierce through her defense, she was cut all over the places which dyed herself red in blood.

Likewise, Zouken also did not come out unscathed. 

Even if Kanade was like an amateur, inexperienced magi in his eyes, her lethality was no different from those special magi who strongly excelled in particular attribute.

In her case, Kanade's specialty should be a blood magic; the craft that was almost too similar to Dead Apostle's ability. It was the reason why Zouken slightly interested to know her origin.

The shockwaves from Ryan's battle with Archer had spread to outer area of underground cavern, forcing Kanade and Zouken to move even further.

"Tck. Tck. They are really monsters."

Zouken had to admit it, even if Ryan seemed weaker than his future counterpart, to survive this long against Archer was no easy feat either. 

Back then, he was defeated by Archer in merely one move. That was what it took to crush his ambition and ideal to dust; he felt like his perseverance all these years was just a joke to those unimaginable beings. It would be better for him to submit to stronger one to achieve his wish.

Pssht! Pssht!

Bam!

Old Li Shuwen deflected Okita's sword by his bare hands. His stance suddenly changed as he took her by surprise, knocking her temple.

Okita was forced back, her forehead was bleeding as she felt like her head was almost split in half the instance Li Shuwen's palm hit her.

Cough!

Blood flowed from her mouth as she coughed weakly. Okita stared at the blood at her palm, looking slightly absentminded…

Just like before… Again. Would I still unable to fight to the bitter end due to my weak body?

"I don't really want to fight an injured and sickly person. This is too bothersome. 

"Yet, this is the order given to me. Thus, I would still try to kill you, young lady."

Li Shuwen spoke grimly as he prepared his stance again. He hid his terrifying murderous intent behind his calmness.

"This much… Not yet! I can still keep going…!" 

Okita steeled her resolve, she urged her weakened self as she once again faced off against Li Shuwen!

It was at that moment when the two great Noble Phantasms clashed in terrifying collision, cleaving the dark night apart.

It was like the sun had risen from the underground cavern; their light illuminated the darkness in the entire area.

"…"

"Kuh!"

The battle between Li Shuwen and Okita was still going on despite the sudden occurrence. Their gaze was cold and emotionless as they had devoted all their attention to the enemy in front of them.

If one ever missed their opponent's movement for a moment, they would mostly die in the next second!

"This is… as expected of my lord."

"..!!"

The ground in front of Zouken and Kanade was split into half, forcing them to back away even further. The earth below them had cracked from the pressure coming from the cavern.

"Now, let's wrap things up, young girl. You have entertained me long enough. [Burst]."

Zouken smiled as he looked toward direction of the underground cavern.

Suddenly, the remains of his worms near Kanade had exploded all together, releasing paralyzing shockwave and obnoxious gas which rapidly seeped into the surprised Kanade.

"Your blood magic is quite strange, but such an imperfect craft still can't hold candle to the Mystery I have been researching all these years."

The timing of Zouken's move could not be more perfect. At the moment when Kanade was distracted by Ryan's fight with Archer, he immediately set off his previously laid out trap to severely injure Kanade.

Kanade might be able to get away from fatal injuries if she had been keeping her attention to their battle, but since she was distracted, she could not avoid receiving his deadly trap head-on.

Her situation was quickly worsened after that. She was cut by more of Zouken's blade-winged worms after her defense weakened. 

The poison from the gas had caused her whole body an indescribable itching that seeped into her very marrow. Her eyesight was ruined as her eyes had slowly melted into rotten pus. She could feel her blood was boiling hot like molten metal, incinerating her from inside out.

'…hah. So, this is my end? What a pathetic way to die…'

That was what ran through Kanade's mind as she felt her condition worsened even more. When she tried to absorb more blood from Zouken's worms to heal her injuries just now, instead of healing her they even increased the toxicity of Zouken's poison inside her.

She realized that she couldn't be saved anymore. If there was one thing that she regretted...

It might not erase her sins, nor would it ease her guilts. Even so, if only she could properly talk to him one last time...

"I have prepared this poison specifically to deal with the likes of Dead Apostles. Whether you are really one of them, or merely their imitation, you can't escape from your death here." Zouken stated indifferently.

Although she could not see it, Kanade could tell that Zouken had a sinister grin on his face as he was speaking.

'It might be a little bit late... but, with this Command Seal, Saber, I order you–––'

Then, as if he lauded his victory upon his defeated opponent, Zouken continued on,

"My lord is going to realize his miracle soon. While you, on other hand, can only die here and regretting your own ignoble existence, not destined to bear witness to his greatness."

At this time, Kanade was already unable to speak. Her throat had melted, her tongue had fallen off, rotting on the ground. She couldn't move any longer as she laid there motionlessly, her blood dyeing the ground dark red.

Seeing his adversary had been dealt with, Zouken was expressionless.

He then turned around, walking toward the cavern as he called out to Li Shuwen.

"Don't take too long time, Assassin. That Servant would not last long without her Master anyway."

Ptak! Bam!

Li Shuwen's palm accurately deflected Okita's sword to the side.

"Why? Why would you still insist to fight? Your Master has died, young lady."

Li Shuwen turned to the side slightly as he evaded the sword aiming at his neck. He lightly tapped the sheath coming to his face, sidestepping into her side and sent numerous palm attacks on her back.

Kuahk!

"This battle has already lost its meaning."

Okita coughed large amount of blood. She felt her internal organs had shifted the moment Li Shuwen's palm struck her just now.

"...she has promised me." Okita who was always silent previously finally talked.

She raised her sword, her eyes looked straight at Li Shuwen.

"We will keep fighting to the bitter end. If either one of us were to be defeated first, the other would keep fighting for the defeated's share!"

Her body glowed in soft, but chilling light as she took a step forward. Her mana surged through her entire body as she spoke with determined look,

"This is the brilliance of my concealed sword! First step, silence... Second step, infinite suffering..."

"Hm?"

Her stance's different..? This is– Noble Phantasm!

Li Shuwen felt his old heart waking up; his martial heart was roused. His intuition which had been honed through countless battles in his life alerted him that Okita was about to perform her strongest attack, betting her life over his.

With a tranquil state of mind like a deep river; his thought was calm, yet his fighting spirit also boiled at same time!

"I acknowledge your determination. I, too, shall answer your resolve with equal sincerity!"

Li Shuwen took on his stance. His feet planted strongly to the earth as he raised his fist parallel to his front center.

When Okita took her third step forward, she had instantly arrived in front of Li Shuwen, thrusting her exquisite sword with transcendental speed and technique!

"–Third step, a sword absolute! [Lightless, Three Stage Thrust]!"

Thus, the cherry petals blossomed. Their soft glow brought along the lullaby of death as three images of her sword struck at same time. They transcended the principle of causality, earnestly seeking to reap her opponent's soul!

At its point of attack, a man stood firmly like a boulder amidst the raging waves. As he took a rumbling stomp forward, like a roaring thunder, he shot his fist to meet the falling petals of cherry blossom.

"[No Second Strike]!!"

Scarlet spear of light clashed against three gleaming sword strikes.

The sword art from a genius swordswoman which broke the causality, striking three times at exact same space-time continuum. Its contradiction made it an inevitable strike unable to be blocked!

And facing such exquisite sword was the martial arts master which transcended limitation of his martial art, reaching a boundary unknown to even his fellow practitioners. His fist was the quintessence of his very being, of his life devotion to martial arts.

At that moment when her sword met his fist, the forest and land had turned silent. The wind stilled, the night insects and birds kept their noise away.

For a brief moment, all sound on their surrounding were muted, as if the world was praying respect to both masters who had attained perfection on their respective path.

BAM!

Puchi!

Okita Souji and Li Shuwen had their back faced the other party as they separated.

Blood seeped through Li Shuwen's chest, coloring his grey attire red in his blood.

Okita was bleeding heavily on all her orifices, she was coughing more blood as she fell down, supported only by her sword.

"Your sword… is truly fascinating, young lady. I sincerely hope to have another duel with you again if the chance arises.

"…it's been so long since I enjoyed a hearty battle like this."

Still standing in his stance, Li Shuwen looked toward the small hole on his heart. Its cut was clean, accurate and deep enough to take one's life in an instant.

In the end, Li Shuwen appeared to have smiled slightly as he turned into ashes.

"Hey… did you see that, Kanade? Your last order was great! Hehe~ this is victory for Okita! No worries, I can still continue…––"

Not long later, with a satisfied smile on her face, she had dissipated into rose-colored lights, scattering in the wind like fallen cherry blossoms.

At same time, Zouken who was walking into the underground cavern noticed his contract with Li Shuwen had been severed.

He was stunned slightly before he frowned.

"…that stubborn man. I should really summon a stronger, and more obedient Servant next time. Huh…?"

Stab!

A bloody hand had suddenly pierced his chest through his back!

Zouken could feel his vitality was sapped away by the owner of that ominous hand. His youthful appearance quickly aged like his previous old appearance in just few seconds.

"You–!"

When Zouken finally managed to turn his head with difficulty, he couldn't help staring in disbelief.

Kanade who had died by his own hand had returned alive!

"How could you even stay alive through that poison…?"

Kanade, who was happily drinking Zouken's blood, smiled. Her smile was truly soul-stirring, enchanting Zouken so much that he unconsciously allowed her to do as she pleased with him. The light inside his eyes had been lost, replaced by captivated gaze as he looked at 'Kanade'.

"It's thanks to you that that little girl's consciousness finally faded, I can finally take over this vessel. As your reward, I'd allow you to be my nourishment. Fufu~"

After another few seconds, what remained from Zouken were only black ashes; he had been devoured clean by 'Kanade' without resistance.

After devouring Matou Zouken, 'Kanade' had recovered from her previous injuries. She appeared even more beautiful and charming, glowing with mesmerizing radiance.

She looked at her hands. There were a bitter hatred and anger hidden deep inside her eyes as she looked toward the cavern, at the place Ryan fought with Archer.

"This time, I'd definitely get through the 'gate'. That bastard…! I will kill all his loved ones, again and again, until he begs me to pass through his 'gate'!"

Her beautiful voice was tinted with deep-seated hatred which could make even the evilest man shuddering from the sheer malevolence she was emanating.

Even so.

Just like the mantis who was stalking the cicada, unaware of the oriole behind.

'Kanade' was unaware that another person had unknowingly arrived in front of her.
When she felt a mysterious force suddenly bound her firmly, it was already too late for her to react.

"!!!"

'Kanade' could only watch as that newcomer arrived in front of her calmly.

"Your action has caused such disastrous calamity in another worldline. Yet, you still want to repeat that same mistake here? You are really too full of yourself, Lilith."

In front of 'Kanade', her younger sister – Ayumi Hayakawa – was looking at 'Kanade' with an inhuman serenity as she spoke.

"You..! How can you be here?!"

It was for the first time since ages ago that 'Kanade' finally felt a deep fear spreading through her entire being.

Even Archer from back then only caused her to feel intense hatred instead of this incomparable sense of fear she was feeling right now.

However, when she was facing the 'Ayumi' in front of her right now... she could only feel endless dread and despair.

"Return to the abyss you come from. Don't cause much trouble again to this worldline."

With a swipe of her hand, a translucent 'Kanade' was pulled out from Kanade's body. That was the soul of the existence who had made contract with Kanade back then.

A crystalline cubic cage was soon formed to imprison that foreign soul.

"Why?! I don't even intend to destroy this world, why'd you deal against me?!

"I merely want to borrow his 'gate' to go to outside world!"

That existence screamed in rage as she tried to strike the cage with all her might. Although, her actions proved to be futile...

"Yeah? And by doing so, you have also killed his wife and daughter. You awakened unnecessary calamity, and indirectly caused that worldline's destruction. Give it up while I am still being nice, Lilith."

'Ayumi' was staring at the caged soul placidly.

"No! I refuse! Unlike your esteemed self, his gate IS my only chance to go past my limit!

"Someone like you who is already at such transcendental height the moment you were born, you would not understand these feelings!! I refuse to acknowledge it! Demi■■■■!?!"

There was a sudden disturbance to her voice when she was about to mention 'Ayumi's true name. It was as though even the World had prohibited her existence to be revealed.

"Shush! You really like screaming, huh. Poor woman... You have become crazy from loneliness. Here you go then~"

'Ayumi' placed another seal that prevented any noise to pass from the cage. Then, she lightly tossed that cage into a black vortex on her side, sending it far away into the abyss of Imaginary Numbers space.

"Done. It's time to go back. Ahh~ I want to sleep already… just why would these people always try to court death?! It's not like all is good if they really pass through the 'gate' anyway! Damned delusional!! Their long life has really made their soul rotten to the core! This is so tiring…

"Wouldn't it be better to just live cozily like me? Humanity have grown up, and they have even created many fun and enjoyable entertainments. Rather than pursuing immortality or greater strength at 'outside' realm, enjoying life to the fullest is still the best, hehe~"

Some things were better forgotten. Only then would one have the chance to keep moving forward. It was the same for her.

Her existence was no longer needed for continuation of the World, as the general trend had been put into shape properly.

And so, wouldn't it be better for her just to enjoy her retirement in peace?

Although, some beings were still restless when a foreign soul suddenly crashed into their world.

Like a bunch of flies smelling a dew of honey inside heaps of smelly filths, they each tried to grab a bite of that honeydew.

However, back then, they didn't know. What seemed like a weak, feeble soul was in fact a seed of disaster.

That was the tale of beginning of the end which happened at another worldline, in a world which was similar yet also different to the one she was currently staying at.

"Anyway, I have upheld my end of deal. Don't make too much of a mess here, Black Dragon King..."

'Ayumi' muttered softly to the wind as she disappeared from there.

She seemed to have stepped for only few times, yet she had actually crossed few miles in an instant. Her existence was like a fleeting mist, she came and went as she pleased without alerting anyone... 

. . . 

Alternative Title: 

"Battle of Two Masters!"; "Dark hand behind the curtain?"; "The Forgotten One"

15