Chapter 68: Root of All Evil
332 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Here on Mendass, they say the animals you should fear most are those willing to live within city walls. Fear not the flying dragons or the barbaric goblins, fear the sneaking cats and hiding rats. Why am I bringing this up? Because why not? Now, I'm going to talk about what I've been doing for the past hour or so.

Since Michelle, Mimi and Mel cleared out pretty much every bad guy besides that huge, big, buff guy with that huge, big, probably buff sword and that hilariously petite maid, I've been given free rein to explore the whole facility! Eh? What about my friends? No worries, they're safe. In fact, there's no one watching them since they sent everyone out to defend during our assault. All that's left is the boss and their assistant… speaking of the assistant, "What's your name?"

"Jack."

So her name is Jack… do I know any Jacks? I knew a Jack in Hamblin, but he died. I think during the revolution. I'm surprised they let me live through that. I wonder what's going on in Hamblin right now? Maybe they executed the baker. I always disliked her. She always gave me mouldy bread. 

Oh yeah, that's beside the point. The criminal facility! I've been exploring it, going around all the rooms, and Jack here explains what they are. So far, I've been in the canteen, the armoury, the dormitory, the sacrifice room, the drug storage room, and the worship room for Ammul, the Fell God of Evil. I really liked the sacrifice room. There was this cool sacrificial dagger and ritual mask, which I added to my collection. There was also a box filled with hearts, which I chose not to take. Hearts are icky.

"What's your opinion on hearts, Jack?"

"Valuable."

There you have it! Hearts are valuables! This is basically what Jack and I have been doing. I ask her a question, and she answers it in under three words. Man, if she weren't a murderer, I'd love to take her home! How do I know she's a murderer? Killers have a distinctive aura, you know. Something about tainted magic power, I forgot what my… which one was it again… law teacher said. Why does the Maid School have a law teacher? Because a maid has to be able to support their master, no matter what they do, obviously.

"What's your opinion on maids, Jack?"

"Hard to kill."

"How hard am I to kill?"

"I…"

"You…?"

"I… cannot fathom."

"Cannot fathom what?"

"Fathom challenging you."

"Wanna fight?"

"No."

"Oh, okay." I wandered some more and eventually came across a grand door that had a cat motif. There were paws etched into its edges, cat ears adorned on top of it, cat eyes menacingly painted all over it, and the handles were shaped like a cat's tail. What an adorable door.

"Hey Jack, does your boss like cats?"

"Hmm… maybe."

"Are they a cat beastfolk?"

"No."

"Got it, so they're a cat!" I kicked the door down hard and entered the ominous cat room to find nothing but a cat on a throne. "I have come to slay you, Cat King!"

"Meow."

"What harsh words. They fill me with despair!" I grabbed out my dagger and pointed it at the cat. "I shall relieve this world of your great evil!"

"Meow."

"Okay… I'm bored. So is this the boss's cat, Jack?"

"No."

"Is it your cat?"

"No."

"So whose is it?"

"No one's."

"What? So why is this cat here?"

"He's the boss."

"Oh, that makes sense… can you repeat that again?"

"He's the boss."

"Okay, okay. I got it…." The cat is the boss… I don't get it.

"Meow."

"Understood." Jack walked over to the cat and started rubbing its head. Okay… you know what, I'll roll with this.

"Hey criminal boss, your… uh… company kidnapped some of my friends… well, are they my friends? One of them is my pet, May. Is she a pet, though? Huh, never thought about it. Actually, what is my relationship with them? Why do I need to save them? It's not like Mel got kidnapped. Huh…" 

"Meow."

"In the back."

"Oh, thanks. Umm… you're not going to do something to me or something?"

"Meow."

"No."

"Huh… this feels… anti-climatic. Well, whatever, time to save Merida and the others." I was about to walk out when I realised something,

"Where's the back?"

"Meow."

"Understood." Jack stopped rubbing the cat and walked out the door, gesturing to me to follow her. Guess I'll follow her. 

"Meow!"

"Huh? Hey Jack, your boss said one last thing."

"Yes, boss?"

"Meow!"

"Understood." She looked at me. "You. Boss's eye."

"Oh, I see where this is going! Alright, I'll look into the cat's eyes!" I walked over to the boss, gave it a little pat, and then looked into its eyes. How'd it know, though?

Evil Incarnate

You are evil itself, trapped in the mortal world. You have access to a small fraction of your power.

Side Note: Get rolled, Ammul.

Oh… that explains a lot. I will completely forget and ignore that and follow Jack to my friends. Yeah, that sounds right.


Character profile: Ammul, the Fell God

Sacred power: Evil Incarnate

Earth name: Booker Milton

Description: The fallen God of Evil. Ammul was Mendass' God of Evil before a certain hero of an age long past managed to ascend to the Godrealm and bested him in combat. Ammul was sent falling out of the Godrealm and found himself on Earth in the form of a cat. He was adopted by the Milton family and named Booker. The young daughter, Eliza, was especially doting on him, despite his constant abuse of the family. Due to his origin on Mendass, it tried pulling him back. The first time it tried, it caused the Milton family's car to crash, leading to the death of the father, mother, and older sister, who would reincarnate in Mendass. The second time, it displaced the older brother and Eliza, stranding them in Mendass. The third time succeeded, causing Ammul to be summoned by a cult that worshipped him. He hoped to capture Sacred Power holders, convert them to items, and equip his strongest subordinates to completely ravage the world, but this plan was stopped by a certain maid.

Chapter namesake: Root of All Evil by CFO$ for WWE 

This chapter's reference has made me think about how weird a playlist would be if you used the music references. You'd get Bob Dylan, Daft Punk, Kanye West, Binding of Isaac, and Rhapsody, and that's only in the first ten songs. I might make a Side Note playlist at some point just to see how silly it feels to listen to.

15