Chapter 197: Ditto
64 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Do you want to know some cool facts about Shadow Cloning? Did you know the Shadowrealm is actually the Shadow Clone of Mendass? Did you know that, just like most other Sacred Powers, it has no limit? Did you know Shadow Cloning gives its holder a particular sensitivity towards Shadow Clones? It props up on your skin like a warning, especially if it's a rogue Shadow Clone. It feels like a slime blanket, but specifically the kind of slime you'd find in the shack of a suspicious witch. 

Why am I bringing this up? Because I'm in a giant food-themed maze with the only direction being the vague feeling that there's a Shadow Clone somewhere in here. Fortunately, the walls are made of chocolate, so I can just eat my way through. Unfortunately, the walls are made of chocolate, meaning I'll get fat… I wonder if Mel is into fat girls?

Well, whatever. The truth is actually that I've just sent as many Shadow Clones as I could into the maze while I wait at the entrance, eating some of the wall. It's mint-flavoured dark chocolate, which is my favourite flavour. I've had some colleagues call me heartless for liking it, but at the same time, they called me heartless when I no-sold a sword to the stomach. Look, I just thought it'd be funny not to yell out in pain… by the way, it was not funny.

Huh… that's weird. A Shadow Clone found the person that'd be on this floor yet hadn't entered combat yet. Weird, but I guess they're waiting for reinforcement. Better to rely on the numbers advantage, after all.

Anyways, back to the wall. The walls are chocolate, but can you guess what the floor is made of? Biscuits? What? No, it's made out of a normal floor. You know, dirt, dirt, and some more dirt. Very dark dirt, as dark as shadows, but I can tell it's dirt. The sky isn't dirt, though, since it's hella red. Red with tentacles wrapped around it all. Maybe I'm facing the Man In The Pinstripe Suit? I just hope the tentacles don't come down and try to eat me. Someone has tried eating me before, and that was not very fun.

Oh, the situation is weirder now. I can tell there's a bunch of Shadow Clones just encircled around the target of this floor. I wonder what's making them so wary? Is it a Demon? A God? Mom? Headmistress of the Maid School? John? I guess I'll have to find out. 

I dropped into my shadow, swapping my position with a random Shadow Clone, finding myself part of the circle. I like circles. Hmm… even the more powerful of the Shadow Clones seem to be standing in the ring, like Ardio, number one, and even Light. It even feels like they're all much more defensive than usual. I guess I'll look at our foe… oh. Yeah, I can see why now.

"Hello there, mother." Standing at the centre of the circle, dressed in ragged maid clothes, looking at me with no expression at all, with a body and face that looked exactly like mine, was Cookie. The… well, I think it's fair to call her this, the Disgrace of the family. "How do you do?"

I can see why the Shadow Clones are incredibly wary, and I ought to be as well… however, I don't feel the overwhelming killing intent from Cookie that I was expecting. Actually, I just feel nothing from her… is this another easy mode? "I'm doing alright, I guess. How about you, 'daughter'?"

"I no longer hunger." She looked up at the sky with a scrutinising gaze. The Shadow Clones and I looked up as well but saw nothing besides the crimson sky and the really freaky tentacles. "I feel… empty, but without the desire to devour. I enjoy this."

"Well, I'm glad you're better." I gave her a thumbs up, which she just stared at. To think she went from being the weird one to whatever this is. Now that I think about it, how are the Shadow Clones even able to change? Aren't they supposed to be me?

"I want out of here, but for you to continue, I was turned into the key. Allow me to do this to show I truly intend to cooperate." She stopped looking upwards, making eye contact with me, then sending a magic butterfly my way. It landed on my nose, and I could just feel myself get healed. Her action let me reluctantly nod to her rejoining. Although I'd rather not have to take back Cookie… anything for Mel. "I am at your behest, mother."

She sunk into the shadows, and I could feel an extra presence enter the Shadowrealm, and soon after that, the floor transfer started. I guess I have Cookie now, huh? Strange times.


It's that comforting darkness again… so it's mom again. I guess it makes sense she'd appear more than once.

"I've courted a Demon Lord, a Saintess, a Hero, a Princess, and other fantasy roles." I turned to mom, looking at a wall of pictures featuring her and countless different women. "Your mother was the Maid I courted. Precisely the Combat Maid. Never did I imagine that would cause a nigh-unstoppable being to be created."

"Nigh-unstoppable?"

"In order to be qualified to be by my side, she did nothing but fight… however, she quickly lost sight. Now she seeks for a fight she'll lose."

"She is incredibly battle crazed."

"Here's a gift, kid." Mom snapped her fingers, and my Ring of Lurking Darkness glowed, getting imbued with some sort of higher power. "You have the boon of one of the strongest Gods of Darkness in this sector of the Multiverse. Let's hope it's enough for your mother."

"Huh. Thanks mom."

"Thank me when you beat her." Mom saluted me, sending me to the next floor. Guess I'm fighting Moira Vusser now… I will beat her. It's what she made me for, after all.


Chapter namesake: Ditto by NewJeans

4