27. Self-control
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tiffany was rolling out her meditation mat next to Jay's when two women in their early twenties entered the room. Tiffany didn't know them; they were probably not part of the Association. It was strange, what were they doing here?

The two young women were dressed in sports bras and tight leggings. One in pink, the other in green. Tiffany glanced at Jay, a little worried that he might develop an interest in the newcomers. Thankfully, he was chatting with Borka. She breathed a sigh of relief, maybe she should buy this kind of outfit too. She didn't want her boyfriend to find her less attractive than other women. Ilona would be able to advise her about this when she returned.

Seeing Rafael standing in front of the others, the two strangers moved towards him. The taller one was dressed in pink, she spoke up. Tiffany pricked up her ears to hear their conversation.

"Hello, is this the shamanic meditation class?"

"Uh yes," Rafael replied bewildered. "Who told you about it?"

"The janitor of the activity center, at the entrance. How do we sign up?"

Tiffany held back a burst of laughter when she saw that Rafael was speechless. They were definitely mundanes. He hadn't planned for this in all his plans. That was so funny.

"It's kind of casual," he said finally. "Everyone comes whenever they want."

"What about the price?"

Rafael looked at them for a moment, struggling to understand, before saying, "I guess you can give something at the end of the course."

"Oh, it's free price! We should have known you were practicing the solidarity economy. This is so cool."

"So cool," the one dressed in green repeated, giving Rafael a wink.

Tiffany turned around, doubling over with a silent laugh. She felt sick to her stomach from holding back. Were these chicks new agers looking for a thrill? She was going to have a hard time finding inner calm during this meditation session, that was for sure.

"Is everything okay, angel?" asked Jay as he leaned toward her.

"I'm fine babe," Tiffany said, wiping away a tear. "Just a little cramp in the belly."

"Are you sick?"

He sounded worried. True, he had planned to take her to a nice Japanese restaurant after the meditation class. Her white lie had bad timing.

"No, don't worry, everything is fine," she reassured him while giving him a soft kiss on the cheek.

Everyone was ready, they were eight in total. Dino hadn't stayed. Jazz practiced a moving meditation by himself, and didn't need these sessions. The Alchemist had no reason to participate since he had no bond to a spirit.

Tiffany needed it, though. She had been having strange dreams for the past month, stories of massacres, or conversely resurrections... she hadn't lost control of herself again, like she had with her mother, nor had she used her powers except to heal Ilona's scar, but that didn't stop the spirit of blood from affecting her thoughts in a weird way. She was more emotional and got upset easily, which was something that had never happened to her before.

And it only got worse as her period approached. That's why she came to all the meditation sessions, and also practiced at her apartment. The last thing she wanted was to get mad at Jay for something stupid. That would be so unfair, and it would jeopardize their relationship. Just the thought of it made her shiver with horror.

Rafael began: "Close your eyes and focus on your breathing. You should feel each inhalation filling your core with spiritual energy, and each exhalation sending that energy through your body's meridians."

Tiffany complied. She was used to this step, and mastered it quite well. Her spiritual energy was like a red sea that ebbed and flowed with the rhythm of the tides. She became acutely aware of the swirl in her core, the beating of her heart, and the pulsing of others' blood around her.

This was a tricky part. She had to maintain full awareness of her body, but separate herself from the blood of others, otherwise she might develop the urge to take it over. She could get obsessed pretty fast, and after that it was just impossible to follow the rest of the session.

"Good, now we're going to go through a few movements while trying to keep that state of mind," Rafael continued, "Feel free to go as slow as necessary so you don't lose awareness of your spirtual energy."

Tiffany slowly raised her arms to the top of her head, then lowered them to her sides, and behind her back. She stretched. Waves of blood ran through her body, but she went with them without losing her concentration. It would have taken only a thought for the waves to rush through her muscles and give her superhuman strength. She resisted. She knew that once she had this strength, she would have the compelling need to use it.

And she didn't want to hurt anyone.

"Always taking your time, sit cross-legged. Then, when you are comfortable, find in your mind the boundary between your body and the outside. Your spiritual energy should be contained within your body, and leakage minimized. This will increase the effectiveness of your chamanic magic, and reduce the parasitic influence of your aura on others."

Tiffany sat down on her mat. Finding her boundary between her body and the outside world was easy, it was exactly what she was forced to do to cut herself off from the blood of others, but controlling the waves of energy her body was emitting was another matter. Especially since it strengthened the blood spirit influence had on her mind. Nevertheless, she did her best, and managed to reach a fragile trance. She was like a tightrope walker, half in control of the blood pulse rising from her core, half intoxicated by the power flowing through her veins.

"Follow the meridians that run through your limbs and your entire body. Guide the spiritual energy within them to nourish them, to awaken them, to fully grasp that part of yourself that connects you to the spirits. You are no longer alone anymore, your very being has expanded, opening new territories to your mind. Find out how to integrate these new sensations into your life and society. You're magic for the world."

Tiffany could barely hear Rafael's voice now. The waves were getting louder and louder, as if each new cycle was feeding off the previous one. She had come further, further than any other time. Close to a point of no return. Something want to merge in her brain.

She got frightened. A wall descended around her body, brutally cutting off all energy flow. The waves of power turned into waves of pain, and she had to bite her tongue to stop herself from screaming. Tiffany didn't want the others to know what was happening to her, they might pull away from her. She had found a new family within the Association, and she was afraid the bond she had with the others would not last if she fully revealed what she had become.

Tiffany spent the rest of the session focused on her breathing, trying to calm the flashes of pain that still coursed through her. At least everything seemed to be going well for the others. Jay was the picture of serenity. The Omarov brothers were breathing heavily but didn't seem particularly stressed. Orphelia was following Raphal's instructions, even though her skin had taken on a scaly appearance. And the two mundanes seemed to be having the time of their lives.

"Finally, let your spiritual energy go. Let it slowly build up again in your core. Open your eyes, come back to reality, and return to the normal sensations of your body. However, do not let go of control completely, your willpower must continue to contain your spiritual energy. Soon, mastery of your aura will be like second nature."

Everyone opened their eyes, but the room remained silent for several more minutes. No one wanted to break the quiet atmosphere that had settled during the session. Then someone began to whisper. The moment had passed. Tiffany grabbed Jay's hand and squeezed it hard. He looked at her, then smiled lovingly. She was feeling better.

The two mundanes got up to see Rafael.

"This was amazing," said the one dressed in pink.

"Oh yes," added the other. "I felt the limits of my aura, it never happened to me before.

"This meditation class is great, we'll tell our friends about you!"

Then they walked away, leaving Rafael dumbfounded with two twenty euro bills in his hand. Tiffany went to find him. A wide smile on her lips and laughing eyes, she had almost forgotten her pain.

"So Rafe, you must be happy, you always say you want mundanes at the Association."

He looked at her with a sigh and shook his head. "Yeah, but I wasn't thinking about the meditation class. They can't have spiritual energy without a blessing or a bond. Yet they say they felt stuff...don't you think they're a little weird?"

e"Aren't we weird too?" asked Tiffany. "Probably even weirder than they are. I don't think you should be asking so many questions."

"Maybe..."

Tiffany noticed Jay waiting for her by the door. He had picked up their things, and was already ready for the restaurant. She waved to him, then said to Rafael:

"I have to go, we're going out with Jay. See you next week!"

***

The Japanese restaurant was on the outskirts of town. The year before, it would have taken them a good hour to get there by bus, but now that Jay had a car, fifteen minutes was enough. Tiffany was watching the buildings go by, marveling at how much her life had changed in such a short amount of time.

She absentmindedly stroked Jay's hand that was resting on her thigh. Being with him was the best thing that ever happened to her. She felt... she didn't feel alone anymore. She was still kind of afraid of turning out like her mother, and making him miserable, but it never lasted long. Jay always found a way to make her laugh and allay her fears.

They parked in front of the restaurant, then got out of the car. The sky was blue, the sun was shining. Jay took her hand in his, and Tiffany gave him a gentle smile. Life was beautiful. They went inside to sit at their table. Unlike Jay, she didn't really like suchis, but she made up for it with soup and skewers.

"A little rose for the pretty young lady?" asked a flower peddler as he approached them.

Tiffany wanted to say that it was not necessary, except that Jay had already gotten up and was pulling out his wallet. So she let him, smiling even more than before. But as he was about to offer her the flower, he suddenly stopped

"What's going on?" she asked.

"It's nothing," Jay said. "There was one thorn left."

He gingerly moved the rose into his other hand, and indeed a drop of blood beaded on his thumb. Before she knew what she was doing, Tiffany had already bent down to suck it with a grunt of pleasure. The delicious metallic taste filled her mouth, making her salivate. She was sucking out for more when she realized her predicament.

"Uh, sorry," she said as she straightened up, horrified by what she had just done.

"What are you talking about?" asked Jay, oblivious. "That was hot!"

"Yeah, but, um, I mean..."

He was just standing there, looking at her lovingly. She was so lucky to have him, she couldn't afford to lose control like that, it could make him run away one day. She gritted her teeth and promised herself to keep her impulses in check in the future. It couldn't be that hard, even Orphelia was able to do it even though she hadn't used the rune to make her bond!

Tiffany took a deep breath, then another. There she had calmed down. Now...

"What are you doing?" she exclaimed.

Jay had just got down on one knee, with a big smile on his lips.

"Oh my God! Don't tell me..."

"Tiffany Sanvic, my angel, my lucky charm, you are the woman of my life and I want to announce it to the world. Will you make me the happiest man on earth by agreeing to marry me?"

He took a box out of his pocket and opened it in front of her. Inside was a gold ring with a black stone flecked with red. Jay must have gone to great lengths to find it. Tiffany immediately felt a connection between her and the jewel. It looked so precious. She wanted it so much, it would be hers! And she would belong to Jay.

"I love you, babe," she said with her eyes shining. "I want to be your wife."

Jay stood up and everyone applauded. Tiffany hadn't even noticed that the other customers were watching them, and even now the sound only reached her from a distance. She only had eyes for the ring. She took it delicately from its case, and put it on her finger. Immediately her blood became hotter, and began to flow faster in her veins. She was engaged!

"This is a heliotrope stone," Jay explained. "It preserves health and youth."

"That's perfect," Tiffany replied, still in a daze. Her blood was pounding at her temples, and she felt more alive than ever. Oh, she loved him so much. This was the best day of her life. She stepped forward and hugged Jay, burying her head in his neck to hide her emotion. She felt as red as a beetroot.

"Tiff, stop, you're crushing me!" squeaked Jay.

What? She backed up violently and hit the table, which tumbled before crashing into the wall. Oh no, she was making gaffe after gaffe. And in such a romantic moment... she was so stupid, she had ruined everything!

A waiter rushed over to them, and Jay started to chat with him while she stood on the side, confused. It had happened to her again, even though she had just promised herself to keep her self-control. Tiffany forced herself to breathe as slowly as possible to slow her heart rate, but it was complicated, her body was brimming with so much life!

"There, all fixed," Jay said as he walked back to her. "They're going to give us another table so we can celebrate our engagement in style."

"Oh my gosh," exclaimed Tiffany, who was still struggling to come around. "We're engaged!"

"And soon you'll be my wife," Jay added, stroking her cheek.

She put her hand on his, and they stayed a moment like that, eyes in eyes, savoring the moment. Then the waiter came to guide them towards their new table. Tiffany was all turned around, there were too many things in her head, too many emotions that went in all directions.

"What are you thinking?" asked Jay.

Tiffany shook her head, trying to isolate one thought from the many that were swirling inside her. Finally she answered:

"I think about the wedding, and our families. I don't know how it's going to work out."

"Ah, that's right," Jay admitted. "We'd have to find a way to avoid conflict..."

There was a moment of silence as they were both lost in thought, until Tiffany began to stammer:

"I... I want my dad to come."

"Your dad? I thought he wasn't allowed near you anymore?"

"That's right, we can't see each other because of my mom, but I want to file a court case to change that."

Jay nodded. "Does it really have to go that way? Couldn't you just...I don't know, call him and set up a meeting?"

"No," Tiffany said, shaking her head. "My mom would risk reporting him, she's already threatened to do it in the past, and he could go to jail for it... We definitely need to get the court order overturned."

"I understand," Jay nodded. "I'll help you."

Then after a pause he added, hesitantly, "Do you think he'll agree to the wedding? That he'll approve of our relationship?"

Tiffany grabbed Jay's hand and squeezed it, being careful not to overdo it. "Of course he'll approve. You're a wonderful man, and you make me happier than I ever thought possible."

Yes, with him by my side, nothing could go wrong.

 

Did you enjoy my story?

You can find advance chapters on my patreon SpiritsAwakening

1