IV. Prophet of the Wind: XV. Swindling Swine
35 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I had told Riella, she wasn’t talking throughout the trip. It was a delight, but not so much since she was still around, like a muzzled stray dog that would bark at me at every chance she got.

We arrived at the blacksmith in no time at all. There were more customers compared to earlier. I walked to the young kid tending the counter.

“Hey. Is the hammer I sent for maintenance done?” I said.

“I-I’m not really sure. Please wait here!” he said before scrambling to leave the counter and into the door behind him.

I looked around the shop to ease the boredom, then my eyes suddenly contacted Riella’s. She smiled.

“I can talk now, right? We’re done walking.”

“Shut up.”

Then, the door to the forge or wherever it led to swung open. There stood the dwarven blacksmith with a shiny steel maul in his hand. Behind him was his apprentice who seemed to be looking away. How shy could this guy be?

“This hammer’s a real beauty! I wonder where you got it?” the smith said as he wiped his head before lending the hammer to me.

“Somewhere far. It’s my treasure.” I said.

“R-Right. Here 'ya go.”

I took the hammer. As soon as it fell onto my hands, it almost slid off down to the ground. It felt heavier. Then, I observed the hammerhead. It was slightly bigger than before. I swung the hammer for a bit to check its balance, but it kinda felt off.

Was it because the muck was gone? No, that shouldn’t have made the hammer heavier. Swinging it felt like it was a completely different weapon. I had used my maul for these whole two cycles, and there was no way I wouldn’t get used to its sensation.

I looked at the blacksmith who kept wiping his endless sweat, with a smile on his bearded face.

“Hey, did you do some modifications to this?” I asked.

His eyes widened all of a sudden.

“N-no, I did not—yeah, well, I changed the hammer's rod. It was, um, rotting.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. Was that the reason? But even if the handle was ancient, it never broke let alone cracked this whole time of using it for heavy work. I had been bashing the shit out of steel stones and it never gave up!

Something was suspicious here.

“Hey, old man, this isn’t my maul, isn’t it?”

“W-What? No! It is your hammer! Exactly as the one you sent to maintain!”

“Mind if I try it, then?” I said.

“T-Then go on. Try it.”

I went to the unmanned counter and swooped the desk into splinters. Everyone looked at the commotion.

“H-Hey, Julius, I think that’s too much.”

“W-Why did you do that! This is a crime, don’t you think!?” the blacksmith protested. His apprentice was panicking.

As I thought, the feeling wasn't the same. That weapon became the extension of my arm to the point of having a sensation on its wooden handle and steel hammerhead.

“This is a different fucking hammer, you piece of shit. Get me the real one!”

“You’re accusing and harassing me, boy! Don’t you know who I am!? I am the blacksmith for the nobles of the Principality!”

“What the fuck are you talking about? I just want my real fucking hammer and not this piece of shit.”

I threw the hammer away, hitting the racks of weapons that collapsed.

“Julius! That’s enough, all right? Let’s just get out—”

“Shut the fuck up. Hey, old shit, you better give me my real weapon back or I’ll bring this entire establishment into ruins.”

The old man was gnashing his teeth, veins bulging atop his glaring eyes. His apprentice flustered before dashing out of the shop along with the other patrons.

“What? Do you want me to fetch it? Fine then. And if I fucking saw my hammer inside, I’ll mince you to death.”

I headed for the door, but the old man picked up a sword and pointed it at me.

“You are trespassing, boy. I-I’ll kill you if you take another step.”

“Whoa, look who’s acting the victim here. I’d like to see you try!”

The blacksmith swung his weapon downwards, but I avoided it by leaning. With his torso wide open, I kicked him, sending his body onto a rack of helmets.

“I swear, if I saw my hammer there, no nobles can protect you.”

Before I could proceed to enter the smithy, several armed guards clad in metal armor poured into the room. Behind them was the apprentice who was shaken to his boots.

“Whoa, whoa! I’m not involved, ‘kay?” Riella said with her hands up as she stepped back.

“You, citizen! You are ruining the peace in the Count’s domain. You will be going with us!” a guard said.

I chuckled, which eventually turned into a mocking laugh.

“Are you now? This fucking old fart down here just tried to swindle me. And I’m the one that’s gonna pay for his crime?”

There was no response.

“Just follow us without making trouble. Everything here shall be settled without any harsh punishments.”

“H-He ruined my smith! Send him to the dungeon!” the old man said. I glared at him, picked up a helmet that rolled my way, and threw it on his groin. He screamed in pain as he writhed on the floor.

“Guards, restrain him!”

The two guards with spears charged at me. At this point, I didn't have enough time to invoke a spell. One of them swiped sidewards. I caught the shaft, pulled him close, and knocked him out with a punch. The other one aimed to stab my legs, so I jumped. His shaft broke in half. I dashed and kicked his face roundhouse.

Once the two guards were down, I aimed at the other two. Before I could charge at them, one with a crossbow shot at me.

“Heou'dn Tidum—”

Before I could finish my chant, the bolt shot through beneath my left collarbone. The paint was staggering me as I tried my best to keep my balance. Although it was bearable, the discomfort I felt in my head blurred my vision. I struggled to maintain my balance, but it didn’t take long before my legs gave up. I fell to my side.

“Julius!” was the last word I heard before I felt an impact on my entire body.

4