Mission
67 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Thank you for your hard work guys." Alex bade farewell to the doctor and officer whose job was to verify his mother's health condition.

 

"Kid, you should be able to get your emergency pass in a day." The officer then nodded and headed away from his house.

 

Alex closed the door and grinned. All was left was to get the pass and all he had to worry about was what to eat, finding the ingredients for the Panacea recipe, and getting richer.

 

On the note of getting rich, he had an idea on how he could do that. Many weren't blind to the increasing ferocity and quantity of the monsters. 

 

Alex had thought that it was some new dungeon that had fallen nearby, but day by day that slowly changed to a lot of small dungeons falling nearby.

 

If it had been only one dungeon, the vanquisher's guild would have already cleaned it up. Yet everyday the vanquisher's guild was like a hive, the hunting rush not appearing to slow down at all and actually getting larger and faster.

 

He wanted in and into this monster infestation. Judging by how much coin he got from the weakest monster in the plains around the city, he predicted with his new skills and new monsters it would give him enough to live out freely for a few months or buy a house in a nice off district where his mother could have some relative safety.

 

The problem was how to fully utilize his cloner ability without risk. Should he spread his clones over several different teams or should he form one team composed entirely from his clones.

 

Another issue was equipment. The remaining sum of money after all of his expenses was a gold coin. That may be enough to buy five swords or five shields, but it wasn't enough for the two at the same time.

 

The plan would have to be a single trip that would net him enough money to buy weapons and shields, perhaps also some good armor.

 

That would be good. He didn't want to unnecessarily risk his father's rapiers. 

 

Alex had also run out of training fields to rotate his clones in. His clones had basicly visited every field, and if he returned there again he would risk someone remembering him.

 

Getting up, Alex summoned five clones and told them to do whatever as long as they looked after his mother. Alex's eyes slowly landed on a bag below the table.

 

He had almost forgotten the other loot he had acquired, the jewelry and other medicines he had no need for would need to be disposed of or sold.

 

That would be a pain for his future self, now he needed to visit the Vanquisher's Guild to look for monster extermination quests.

 

Alex entered the lobby and proceeded to a board filled with notes. He read multiple notes, and most were for extermination of local pests like gremlins and grok snakes. These quests were posted by farmer communities and wealthy landowners. 

 

The rewards weren't bad, they were in the range of twenty silvers to sixty silvers. Everyone was going to these quests, they looked like the bread and butter of the Vanquisher's guild.

 

Ripping one of the notes from the board, the note displaying a gremlin group extermination.  

 

"Yo, what do I need to do to accept this request?" Alex asked an unoccupied clerk.

 

"Sir you need to be a bronze and preferably two teammates." The clerk replied.

 

"Preferably?" Alex scratched his head. "So it's not required?"

 

"It is not required. But we heavily advise you to team up for any mission in the deep wilderness, it is very easy to get overwhelmed." The clerk spoke worriedly, his eyes holding a warryness born from experience.

 

"You have no need to worry, I have my methods." He smiled with confidence, setting the clerk into an even more grim mood. "And the time limit and location for quests?"

 

"At most a week and you will receive the location once you accept the quest." Alex then bade goodbye and returned the note to the board. 

 

Great. He just needed a way to hide his clones and then he could go on a mission, earning that sweet sweet coin. Alex really didn't want to use masks, as the mage team revealed surprising competency when they sniffed him out from basically nothing.

 

He tested his clones extensively for smells and left overs from his body like skin flakes or hair. The clones basically made everything disappear when they died or got cancelled. The only thing he would have to worry about is some magic bullshit.

 

Yet if they had magic bullshit, then there would be no crime.

 

He still couldn't figure out how they found him. It was a guess on their part certainly, with them just coming in for a short questioning. Alex will have to think about this longer.

 

Back to the mask issue, he had been thinking of this in terms of the city, where he would be hunted for wearing a mask. While the mask itself wasn't the problem, everyone with a brain would instantly link his mask to his thieving escapades.

 

Though, his usage of a mask in a rural village would be strange and not alarming. If he just kept his clones far out of sight, then no one would see anything wrong.

 

Meeting someone in the wild wouldn't be as dangerous for his identity. 

 

Yeah, that's a good fucking plan. He just needed swords. Swinging his path towards the blacksmiths district. Alex casually bought five swords with his coin and returned home.

 

The following morning, after several hours of grueling road in the sunshine of Genesis, Alex finally reached the hill on which the village he had accepted to work for.

 

In his hand was a mission note describing a giant nest of Glen Crows who terrorised the local farming village livestock. It had a reward of fifty silvers and three reputation points, which was a mechanic the Vanquisher's installed to measure their members competency.

 

Stuffing the note in his hand, Alex walked towards the biggest house in the village, keen on getting this mission done as fast as possible.

---

There are currently 5 advanced chapter on my Patreon.

and if you have any critics please send them to me, I would appreciate. 

Also, be on the look out, I will be trying to release three more advanced chapters on my patreon. I'm going to really try even though I have a time crunch.

3