Irrational
111 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alex’s new shiny pen flitted across the white parchment, each stroke with the appropriate amount of ink, the magic enchantments so basic that they functioned without the need for mana from the users. The bell tower was almost full with gold items and jewels, a big portrait of a family bordered with a golden lining. A vase encrusted with red and blue gems. 

 

He was in the process of cataloguing it all, and with every name written down, a little spark of happiness lit up inside him. If he ever gets to sell this ensemble, he would turn out to be rich, rich enough to buy a manse in the heart of the capital. The problem was how to sell all of this illegally acquired goods, it definitely needed to be sold outside this city and that entailed finding a way to sneak all of it through the guard and the monsters.

 

It was wishful thinking, yet he entertained the fantasy in his mind for the duration that he had the goods. It wouldn’t really pain him that much to lose this, Afterall he could earn an equivalent amount by just setting his clones on monsters and reaping the rewards sitting in his comfy house.

 

That realization, of not having to work to earn fuck off amounts of coins, made his insides tingle with warm sparks. He will never have to worry about coins ever again, not have to worry if he could buy medicines for his mom, and never have to worry about not having enough. 

 

A ruckus was sounding out from outside the bell tower, a tick tack of steel boots against paved stone. Alex frowned, he felt his metaphorical hand and twitched, feeling that he could summon one clone. The clones had encountered an enemy strong enough to kill one of them, and probably injure many more.

 

He put down his magic pen and rose from the comfy chair. He trotted on a fine carpet that unfortunately had a splotch of blood. Opening the door, he saw five clones carrying another on a makeshift stretcher. The clone was bandaged from head to chest, and his skin was positively cast in crimson.

 

Alex raised a singular eyebrow, rather surprised to see only one injured, all the others seemed fine. 

 

“What happened to you all?” Alex asked while inspecting the injured clone, finding him wheezing out pained one pained breath after another. The left side of his upper body had crumpled up, the bone almost shattered into pieces. It was a miracle that he didn’t die on the way, and will probably die any second now.

 

“Fucking bastard dungeon set on us a statue of a war hero.” A clone uttered, he left the pack of clones and sheeted his sword

 

“Excuse me?” Alex scrunched his eyes and scratched his head.

 

“The statue was animated by whatever fell magics the dungeon uses; it was a strong statue.” The clone unstrapped his helmet and removed the clothing that hid his face. “Killed one of us with a single blow and almost killed the commander with a light kick.”

 

“You killed it, good job. Now let’s unsummon the injured guy and you guys can go back to your work.” Alex was just about to twitch his metaphorical finger when the clone spoke up.

 

“Can we…not dismiss him?” The clone said with hesitation.

 

“Why? He’s injured, and in a lot of pain. It’s a mercy to dismiss him.” 

 

“He…he is strong.” The clone stayed silent for a moment, his eyes lost in memory. “He is different from us, we wouldn’t have won if he wasn’t brave.”

 

Alex raised an eyebrow at the clone’s statement. It seemed bizarre, these clones were identical, and the commander wasn't an exception just because he was given the leadership role. If the commander could be brave, then so can the others. The clone had a lack of confidence in himself.

 

“Come on, stop it.” Alex chuckled and patted the clone on the shoulder. “Everyone of us could become brave. We are all the same, built from the same foundation.”

 

“Yet the houses we build are different because of our experiences.” The clone retorted back. “The commander is special Alex, you hadn’t seen him when he charged without hesitation. I didn’t even think of charging, not even an ounce of that thought had crossed my mind. Yet he did, yet he charged, and I did not.”

 

“You are valuing yourself too low, every one of us can become like him. He is not unique, and we can all become like him, I will learn from his example.” Alex assured them and getting a smidge of annoyance from this rather useless conversation. The commander clone is a liability, he could not be kept, as he would consume a valuable clone slot. There was no way he could make a full recovery before this whole disaster – disaster for other people – ended.

 

“No no no. You don’t understand, learning isn’t enough. You have to experience it.” 

 

“This whole conversation is pointless, he will die anyway come by the time Eve rises.” 

 

“He won’t die. Natural Healing will pull through, I can feel it.”

 

Alex snapped; this whole charade was fucking stupid. His clone had a screw loose from fighting all those monsters, letting his feelings take over his reasoning. He dismissed both clones, the one that was arguing with him and the commander clone. They were losing time arguing over a lost case, and he was not patient enough with the city in a full-on assault to entertain an argument about differences.

 

“Now, if any of you have any opinion on the matter, speak up.” Alex was rather tired of all this bullshit, and was keen on returning to his comfy chair. When the clones shook their head, he continued. “We need to be united to see the end of this alive, all of us. We can do everything that the commander did, trust yourselves and you will be able to do just as much.”

 

The clones dropped the stretcher with only broken armor on it. Alex then nodded with satisfaction; how would the world be so easier if he could end arguments with a thought. He resummoned three clones and let them wear their armor. He leads the clones to the insides of the building and shows them a detailed map of the city.

 

“I am assuming this is where you battled, and by my estimates the dungeon is here. “ Alex pointed to the Lord’s Mansion. “We are close, just a few districts and we should be there. I’ve seen that the mages have already reached it from the top of the tower, but I bet they are not doing well from the lack of ground support.”

 

“We help them, kill the monsters that are attacking them to let them vanquish the dungeon.” The new clone pipped up.

 

“Exactly, you are thinking what I am thinking.” Alex then climbed on a chair and gave the clones a command. “Now go and wreck those monsters till they will beg for Skorn to call them back to his hell.”

---

Hello everyone, I've done a poll on my Patreon for whether to change from 1K words to 3K words in exchange for 2 or 3 day release rate. It came out overwhelmingly on the 3K side, so from now on I will be release 3K words every three days (or two depending on if I have the time.)

Anyhow, be sure to follow and favorite, would help a lot and I would appreciate it, and if you have anything you like or dislike about my story just post it in the comments below and I will respond to it. Adious Brothers!

There are currently 7,000 words advanced on my Patreon.

All the love for Mambell, the beta reader for this story.

 

 

 

2