Chapter 5: Adventurer Guild
63 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Can I see your documents?"

"Documents?" I had finally reached the front gate and now the guards were asking me for documents. It doesn't seem like things will end well.

"And what's that smell? What kind of goods are you carrying in your carriage?" asked guard number 1 as he circled around my carriage.

"Now that I think about it, although it's dirty, this carriage looks pretty expensive. Where did you get it?" asked guard number 2.

To be fair, I didn't think the guards would ask so many questions. Usually, in anime and manga, when the main character wants to enter a town, he just enters it without being asked too many questions. It seems there were some inconsistencies within the blessed fantasy material from my old world, but that's no matter, I'm sure after a bit of sweet-talking I will manage to get through.

"H-he's a bandit, there's a dead noble behind here!"

Or not.

"He's not dead, I just broke his legs, and he may be partially poisoned, but I can assure you he is not dead," I explained. After all, I was not a mindless killer, I didn't want them getting the wrong impression of me.

"G-Get out of the carriage right now, and drop all your weapons!" At this point, everyone else in the line began murmuring, and the guards slowly approached me with their spears out in front of them.

"Wait, I can explain why I have a dead... I mean almost-dead noble in my carriage."

"T-Then explain," shouted guard number 2, pinching his nose due to the horrible smell that radiated off rich noble number 1.

"Ahh… I found him like that when I got the carriage." Hehe, back in my prime years in the study of anime and manga, I mastered the art of lying. I wouldn't be surprised If they put down their weapons and started begging me for forgiveness.

"Eh? Are you crazy? Did you actually think we would believe that?" asked guard number 1, his face twisted in pure confusion.

Well jokes on them, I actually said that to confuse them. Taking advantage of their confusion I dash towards the nearest guard, knocking him out before taking care of all the other guards as well. I didn't kill them of course… I think.

***

"W-What just happened. How did he kill all those guards?" stuttered the high elf from the party behind. It all happened so fast that she was unable to process it.

"None of them are dead, he just knocked them out, which seems considerably harder. It means he must be so powerful that he can worry about not injuring his enemies. To be honest, even I'd have some trouble dealing with all these guards without drawing blood," said the drow in a broody voice, somewhat admiring his handiwork.

"He's a gold plate at least, no, maybe even orichalcum," added Thodmec.

"No way. So what, he can take out a couple of guards without killing them. I reckon I could do that," scowled the human of the group, he had two swords strapped to his waist and had the build of a warrior. Instead of armor, he wore a leather tunic which allowed him to move better.

"He's kinda cute if you ask me," added the giant, a small smile on her face.

"No way, you'd just crush him. But you're right, he is kinda cute," replied the dark elf, her eyes lost in inappropriate fantasies.

***

"Eh? Aren't they going to try and stop me?' I wondered as I stared at the party of adventurers behind me. However, all they did was mumble while staring at me, perhaps it was a tactic to make me lower my guard.

***

"Why is he staring at us? Does he think we're going to try and stop him?" wondered the human, backing away ever so slightly at the menacing gaze that was being given to him and his group.

***

Eh, I don't have time for this. I need to run away before the guards wake up. After making sure there were no guards left around the draw bridge, a dashed into the town and hid behind a few houses.

The town was exactly as the blessed fantasy material described it as. The houses had medieval European-style architecture, and the clothing that the people wore looked old-fashioned, even the more expensive-looking ones. There were way more people walking about than I expected, at my village there were only about a hundred people, but just counting the people walking on the streets there should be more than a thousand here.

Anyway, first order of business is to look for the adventurer guild. After I gain some information, from there I can continue my pilgrimage on the search for the highest enlightenment… true power.

"Eh, excuse me, do you know where the adventurer guild is?"

"The Adventurer guild, huh. It's down the corner in front of the cathedral," replied the middle-aged man who I had stopped to ask for directions.

"The cathedral?"

"Just follow this road, eventually you'll see a massive building with a sword sign hanging over its doors."

"Ahh, thank you."

Now, like I was saying, I feel like the meaning of true power is just over the horizon.

After walking in circles for nearly an hour I finally found the building that the middle-aged man was referring to. It was a brown building three stories high with double doors. A bunch of people dressed in adventurer's clothing continuously walked into and out of the building, confirming that it was indeed the Adventurer's guild.

"Uhm hi, I'd like to be an adventurer please." Is that how you say it? To be honest, they never show exactly how people become adventurers in manga or anime, so I have no idea what I'm doing.

"Hmm, first time huh? Nothing to worry about, the joining process isn't too difficult," replied a blonde elf with a rather massive bust wearing thick-framed glasses. Her voice was soft and cheerful, almost like that of a child, and the way she handled the quill as she filled out a few documents gave me the impression that she was the clumsy type. Ahh, I've heard of people like her in the blessed fantasy material.

"Just fill out this form and give it back to me once you're done. After that, we'll take you to the power stone to test your power level and give you an adventurer plate, easy right? Nassia I said that correctly didn't I?" The elf girl turned to the other receptionist right next to her, looking at her with genuinely curious eyes.

"What? You're supposed to fill it in for him. Do you think adventurers can read?" scolded the woman next to him. She had red hair, and her lack of pointy ears indicated that she was human. Her way of speaking was a bit crude, meaning she was the violent type. I don't like her already.

"Pfft, another masked idiot. Why do the weak ones always try to look cool? Anyway, what's your name, and do you have any past experience in fighting?"

"Eh, did you just call me a masked idiot?"

"You misheard, I said ugly midget,"

"Those two don't even rhyme, and isn't that just as bad?"

"Can you please answer the questions?"

"My name is Eden Verlice, and I'm a master of all martial arts."

"So your past experience is being a delusional idiot, got it. Now, After paying the 300 bronze entry fee, we'll go ahead and test you before giving you your bronze plate, if you even qualify for a plate."

"That was fast, however… I'm broke, can I pay you later?"

"Goodbye." With those words, the redhead turned to talk to someone else, a disgusted look on her face as she tore up my form. Why are people blinded by money?

2