Chapter 2 – Cloth, Fabric, Anything Goes!
86 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The crow watched the girl with narrowed eyes, wondering whether he should feel amused or disappointment. Currently, the two had moved away from their base in search for fresher clothes. The one the girl was wearing were torn beyond repair when the girl caught them on the spike of a halberd last night and, when the girl woke up in the morning, she tore her "dress". This, in turn, woke the crow up.

Since today is the fourth day the girl has been alive, she didn't quite understand what she did wrong. As such, when she found a random body that was more fresh than the others, she waited crouched down in a submissive pose until the crow gave her the okay to eat. The crow, upon realizing that he had somehow managed to scar the little girl, felt even more guilty and let the girl eat most of the body, even if the crow was hungry himself.

Another reason why they were looking for something to wear, though only the crow knows of it, is that the air is becoming colder. Soon enough the battlefield will be covered in frost and, despite how weird this girl is, the crow doesn't want to take the chance to see if she can survive freezing temperatures in nothing but ruined rags.

"Laa la la laa la laa duh laa!" The girl sang, her voice gaining back its lisp. The crow gave up trying to figure out if this girl had a lisp on the second day when she either spoke with a lisp or spoke without one.

The good news about hanging around the girl, despite the fact that her singing is annoying, is that those falcons stay away from him. Animals in Nostalisk have a way to tell if something is a predator and the moment the girl killed that falcon, the others started avoiding her despite not seeing her do the deed. The downside, besides her annoying habits, is the fact that the girl is a complete wildcard and may very well kill the crow one day. But her company will do for right now, especially since he hasn't seen a single trace of his flock. All he knows is that they are still around on the battlefield. 

Now the crow knows he could fly up and look for them but the presence of Falanorn Falcons* promptly caused him to scrap that idea. The bigger and smarter versions of the palcanorn falcon, not only will they be able to nab the crow if he flew too close to them without the girl being able to do anything about it, the only reason they aren't trying to kill the crow is because they decide dealing with the little girl isn't worth the effort. Now, if the little girl was smaller then things would be different.

"Hey! Black!" The girl yelled out the crow's name, or the name she gave to him, causing the crow to let out a sigh. The reason why the crow didn't know if he should be amused or disappointed with the little girl is because she currently trying to crawl down a gorge full of pikes and spears, the sharp end of the weapons pointing right at her. She has been here for twenty minutes trying to get down the hard way, causing herself to bleed before more times than one could count. Of course her natural healing abilities quickly sealed the wounds like they didn't even exist in the first place. 

To be honest, despite the fact that humanoids constantly try to kill each other, the fact that they can heal from even a severed arm within a couple of months made the crow wonder if being one was worth it.

"Don't worry! I am sure to get down this...thingy in the ground!"

And another thing is that the girl doesn't know what a hole is. At this point the crow has also given up on knowing where the girl's grammar starts and ends. It seems completely random to him.

....

....

....

....And that wasn't even mentioning the biggest problem, which is the tunnel that leads down into the gorge created by pryfine moles that the crow is currently perched over. The tunnel wasn't hidden but in plain view for all to see. Even the outline of the tunnel entrance was silver due to the metal wiring the moles used as decoration. How can anyone not see it!

If the crow could speak, he would have called the little girl an idiot so many times.

Finally deciding to have enough of this, the crow flew down and gently pecked the girl's right arm, causing her to look at him. Now that he has her attention, the crow pointing towards the tunnel with one wing.

"....What is it, Blackey?" The girl asked, completely oblivious to the tunnel the crow was pointing too.

The crow had to resist the urge to peck the little girl on her forehead and that within itself was a challenge and a half.

With a sigh the crow turned around and went into the tunnel. If the girl follows him or not is entirely up to her. Though, by the sound of it, the girl was going to follow the crow. After all, she just said "Oh".

 

 

. . . . . . . .

 

 

The crow has came across the second block in their journey, happens to involve the giant dragon halberd the girl was dragging behind her. Upon seeing the weapon the girl instantly stopped, let out a gasp, and pulled it from the ground to play with it. The crow understood why. As a crow he liked all shiny things and the dragon halberd was indeed shiny. Even though it was a old abandoned weapon, it had powerful magic on it keeping the weapon from deteriorating and losing its luster. The crow had seen several weapons like that during his time on the abandoned battlefield, one of them being the wooden axe and, in fact, the dagger in the pouch by the axe. So, technically the crow saw more than several. 

Though, the crow found it hard to comprehend the fact that the girl easily dragged the halberd free but couldn't lift the less heavy and way shorter crude battle axe out of the ground. The only thing that the crow could think off is that there was some other kind of magic on the axe that makes it heavier or maybe even prevents anyone but its owner to pick the axe up. The crow had seen that on an active battlefield before. Though that magic was easily dispersed by a witch.

The thought that the girl may be a witch crossed his mind since witches were far stranger in behavior and magic power than mages but, to be honest, he didn't think witches were this stupid, even if the crow has only seen two in his whole six years of living. Then again, the girl could be a very young newborn witch. It's extremely possible.

Now, back to the halberd, the problem isn't that she can't take it with her, it's she can't take it with her out of the gorge. Despite having seen fabric here the last time he arrived there was none here now. He guess others beat him to it, taking the fabric back to their nest.

Though, it is also possible they arrived just after whoever took the fabric left due to a certain someone's complete lack of common sense. Aren't humanoids suppose to be smart, even smarter than his own vastly intelligent species?

If she was then he probably wouldn't even be having this journey with her in the first place...

....and for some reason that makes his heart throb.

'Whatever!' The crow thought, angrily kicking some sand and debris with his talons, unaware of the gleaming red eyes that were trained on him, observing him intently.

When the crow had finished with his little tantrum he turned back towards the girl only to jump back in surprise. Instead of the girl failing to climb the hill with the halberd, she ditched the weapon and instead loomed over him, her eyes unreadable. That scared the crow. The girl, while unpredictable, could still be read. But, now he can't get a good read on her, especially in the dark.

The girl's eyes narrowed, gaining back their warmth, and she gently nudged the crow out of the gorge with her head through the small tunnel leading out, following shortly afterwards herself.

"Black, where to next?" The girl asked with a cock of her head, sitting down on all fours while giving the crow her usual beaming gleeful smile.

The crow was silent, stunned a little, but quickly gathered his wits and flew up in the sky, heading further south at a pace where the girl could easily follow him. 

The girl was skipping around on all fours chasing after him, humming a little tune, though once again she doesn't know what humming is. All she knows is that it is fun. Just like how she really doesn't know why she is following the crow either. All she knows is that the crow really wanted her to follow him when she woke up this morning and, seeing no reason why she shouldn't, the girl followed.

It's as simple as that. Even if the girl is mature after being born four days ago, she is still at the maturity level of a little girl that wants to play.  It's just that...she has a little more oddness to her and a not-so-childlike goal, though, in the eyes of others, her goal probably is childish. Revenge isn't a thing here in this world. At least, it really isn't a thing many people consider even if they lose their whole family. 

Yet, even if the crow had a 'bird-eye's' view over the battlefield it still took until dawn before the crow finally spotted a small dull pink dress. After making sure that it was in some place the girl could get to it the crow landed. It didn't take long for the girl to catch up. She wasn't far behind, after all.

"Oh! That's where you were taking me," The girl exclaimed before rubbing her cheeks on the dirty dress.

Instantly her smile changed to a frown.

"Ehh, it's not as comfortable as the last one," The girl noted, her eyes narrowed. 

The crow stared at the girl for a long time before, with a sigh, he realized what had to be done. He picked up the dress, ripped it free from whatever was pinning it down, and then proceeded to smack the girl on the face with the dress.

"Ah! W-what? S-stop!?" The girl cried but it was no use. Her crow had turned on his daddy mode, and no little girl is safe from daddy mode.

In the end, it ended as anyone would expect: The girl wearing the dress, torn up to make it fit her better, and the crow giving the girl who had tears in her eyes a satisfied and smug smile.

 

Crow - 1, Girl - 0.

 

 

Falanorn Falcons: A common falcon known for their intelligence and strength. Most often found near woods or over battlefields where they prey upon crows and other scavengers.

4