Chapter 01 A Fateful Meeting
6.1k 24 103
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

I didn’t like driving. Never have. However, sometimes it is necessary in order to get somewhere.

Why I was driving was lost to my mind. Was I returning home from somewhere? Was I headed to a specific location for some reason? Or was I just driving with no destination…

I can’t remember.

What I do remember was that my mind was in torment. Mired in dark clouds of depression, crushed under the pressure of expectations given to me under a name I no longer called my own. A name that hearing used to address me now caused me mental pain and anguish. I was too cowardly to tell anyone my secret. To afraid of being sent looks of disgust, of being cast out.

With how I was feeling, I should not have been driving.

But what happened was not my fault.

As I made my way towards a destination forgotten, I met a legend. It was not a peaceful meeting, nor one that I had any hopes of occurring. But that did not mean I was completely opposed to his sponsoring me.

I met Truck-kun.

For those who do not know this legendary figure, I’ll teach you of him. To me at least, he is a large truck, generally taking the shape of a cargo carrier, like those U-Haul rentals, but adapting to the needs of the situation. There is no driver, just the truck, but he can maneuver around, or bash through, obstacles in order to get to his intended target.

Those he chases are usually fated to die, but be born again in another world.

The reasons for forcefully making others reincarnate are not always known, but they come to be some kind of protagonist in their next life.

And now he was after me.

Regardless of my depression and general feelings of malaise and hopelessness, my body reacted with fear at the sight of a driver-less truck making its way up behind me, causing me to accelerate to try and escape, while in my heart a spark of hope was lit.

The chase was brief. While there were usually a reasonable amount of other vehicles around, now there were almost none. This should have helped me, but it instead helped Truck-kun, since the freeway we were on was entering an area with lots of turns, and no exits for miles. As I tried to gain distance on those turns, Truck-kun instead went right through the shortest path, crossing lanes with abandon.

Within a minute of having spotted him, his body slammed into the side of my little truck, sending me rolling down the highway, limbs flailing as my truck flipped over time and again. Each time the roof struck pavement, it drove it closer and closer to my head.

I’m not sure how I remained conscious through that, but somehow I did. I also survived the initial assault, being awake, but unable to move or respond as rescuers tried to extract me from the wreck of my vehicle. Not that that saved me.

As I’d stated before, all who meet Truck-kun are fated to die, and I was no exception. It just took longer than I’d expected to slough off my old, detested body.

It wasn’t until my body was loaded up into an ambulance and on it’s way to the nearest hospital that the last threads of life snapped. After all, being trapped after losing a limb without being to staunch the flow of blood not only there, but the dozens of other wounds as well tends to cause problems.

In my last moments on Earth, I heard the medic call my time of death as my soul slipped out of the distasteful prison that had kept me trapped.

 

So... not my first story, but the first I'm sharing, and doing so as I write it. Maybe I'll post the others... eventually.

 

103