Chapter 08 Spring Selection
2.7k 16 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Winter was looong. I don’t know if it was due to altitude or because of how far north we were. I knew next to nothing about this world beyond the valley, so I didn’t have the data to say whether or not it was normal. The locals didn’t seem to care how long it was, at least as long as they could keep their bellies filled and bodies warm.

But finally it was over!

Spring had sprung!

Although there was a bit of a problem with that… Winter had left us with an obscene amount of snow. Sitting on lots of dirt.

I’d taken to floating around instead of walking to avoid the snow, but it seemed that I wouldn’t be changing that anytime soon. Now I had MUD to avoid until the melted snow flowed away and let the ground dry out enough to not be a problem.

Yes, I have taken to complaining about everything. What can I say. I’m immature.

The good thing was that all of my efforts during winter had left me with excellent results. My core had been strengthened, allowing me to hold much more PP than before, and regenerate faster. This meant I could float around constantly and it barely affected my energy levels.

I could also hold transformations longer and more comfortably. I’d even started working on custom transformations, though those didn’t last long since they took a lot of PP to maintain.

I’d figured out the discomfort I’d felt wasn’t a sign of potential dysphoria, at least partly, but instead a sign that I wasn’t familiar enough with the form. I did studiously avoid turning into a male, since that did trigger it. Once was enough for me to learn that lesson.

I’d gotten used to changing into several different forms which allowed me to do things easier than I could in my mew form. One of which was becoming a spinarak. I’d done this for a very important reason. While I could use the move I wanted in my normal form, it didn’t work the way I wanted.

What would I want? Thread. Mew made thread using the string shot or spider web skills worked, but didn’t last long. But if I was transformed, it did. No clue why. Maybe I’ll research it later. Probably will. Just imagine if I could pull off shooting thread outta my hands when I’m in human form. Fun times.

Anyways… Enough thinking about becoming Spidergirl in the Pokémon world.

I’d gotten familiar and comfortable with the form since I wanted to use the thread to make cloth, and spider thread is one of the strongest threads there was. I’d also used the spider web skill to make a hammock to replace my bed, since my tree stump was getting kind of worn out.

The stump had been comfortable since the insides were soft and somewhat mushy… which is to say rotting. But as I’d used it, it had started getting compressed or breaking off and sticking to my fur, so a new bed was needed.

The web was easy, I’d just needed to focus on NOT making the thing sticky as I made it. I’d then done the same thing to make thread. Only problem was I had only the vaguest idea of how to weave it into cloth. In the short run, I’d made some rough cloth by circling a tree while covering it in thread, but it was kind crappy, with small gaps here and there. It worked though, and wasn’t too bad when I’d made a bag using it.

Besides turning into a bug, I’d tried a few other forms. Some I’d liked, others I hated. It was kind of fun being a poochyena for a while, though the enhanced sense of smell both helped and hindered me. Though I’d ditched that as soon as I spotted a vulpix and turned into its evolution, a ninetales. SOOO much more beautiful! Also all the tails are really soft and warm. It instantly became one of my favorites. Pichu was another, though the various eeveelutions were fun as well.

Practicing all that transformation had gotten me on the path to customizing my own. I’d started with coloring, then tried out patterns. While I got a lot of compliments, those looks weren’t even skin deep.

It was only near the end of winter that I’d felt comfortable really changing myself without the safety net of the move. It didn’t turn out well, but I was learning and had gotten better.

This progress continued into spring as I avoided dirtying my fur. Sure, I could use Purify to clean it, but why get it dirty in the first place if I had a choice.

As an aside: I’d been really excited when I’d remembered the Purify move. It was for cleaning up status conditions, but it worked wonders on other things as well. Being dirty counted as a debuff, at least in my mind, so it had worked… I did have to remember to use it outside after the first time, since it didn’t disintegrate stuff, just get it off of or out of the afflicted. It was annoying to clean up all the excess stuff I hadn’t known was in my fur… ugh.

---

When the ground finally dried up enough me to make trips outdoors willingly, I made my way to the training field. I hadn’t been there in a bit due to all the mud. It was still slightly muddy, but not to bad as generations of pokémon had compacted most of the area to be mostly solid. It was only area where the ground types tended to fight that were loose enough to be really bad.

When I arrived, I was met by quite a surprise. Rather than the usual groups training at random around the area, today seemed, organized?

I hovered over to a nearby machop to find out what was going on.

“Oh, today’s the first day of the Spring Selection.”

I tilted my head in confusion.

“I wasn’t here this time last year. What’s that?”

“It’s a tournament for us to show off our power and prove who the strongest is! I got a really good feeling about this year!”

“Oh, sounds fun. How do I join?”

He gestured over to a group to one side. There were several larger than average pokémon there, the guardians.

Thanking him I made my way over to the group, joining the line to get in on it. Most everyone that was in the line was directed off to one part of the field, though I could see a bunch who were sent away with their heads down. Did they not meet the criteria to enter? What were they anyway?

I got to the front and my teacher’s eyes fell on me, causing him to narrow them.

“Rynn… why are you here?”

“Umm, it’s a tournament, right? It sounded like fun!”

The others around us laughed and started to say something, but were waved to silence.

“I see. Are you sure you want to join? There’s no harm in waiting for next year.”

“Can’t I?” I frowned. “Am I not strong enough?”

“No, you’re have plenty of strength, but…” He paused and thought for a moment, before smirking. “You know what, if you want to join, then go join the others over there. We’ll be getting started shortly.”

I had a vague sense of suspicion for how he said it, but it was quickly overshadowed by my excitement at getting to fight strong opponents. I did a little flip in the air as I sailed over to join the fighters. I’d fought a few of them, but a lot of them would decline to fight anyone they considered beneath them. Now I had a chance!

I was one of the last to join, having arrived almost too late since I’d slept in later than I’d intended due to staying up late, so I didn’t have long to wait.

We were paired off at random and had our first fights as room became available. As a latecomer, I was one of the last, getting to enjoy the show as dozens of fighters showed their stuff and tried to win the tournament.

Some of them were rather bland, with the fighters using primarily physical moves, but others were brilliant displays of using high-energy moves.

I couldn’t help thinking that going for the big guns from the start is a bad idea. You’ve gotta make sure you can go the distance, not blow your load right at the beginning.

As the fights finished, the participants were directed to one of two places. One for winners, the other for the defeated. A loser’s bracket? So the style was going to be double elimination? I probably should have asked. I could still ask the others, but don’t want to look like an idiot… even though I was being one.

Eventually it was my turn. I was tempted to show off, but restrained the impulse. Even if I had a high regeneration rate, it was better to keep to lower powered skills and attacks.

I was paired off with a machop. Too bad for him I’m a psychic type… Then again, I could use any type of move, so I’m kinda the worst opponent for anyone. Though being my type made using psychic moves as simple as breathing.

So, yeah. It went down in one attack. Using the attack my type is named for put the machop on the ground and out of the fight.

Using my knowledge from the game made this mostly child’s play… The problem was while I knew a lot, I wasn’t an expert or anything. I knew a lot, but FAR from everything. I made a few mistakes, using weak attacks, but I just took it as a refresher and walloped the opponent with something else.

The tourney was double-elimination, which was fair since there was always the type advantages to take into account. Though not all those with a single loss chose to continue. Some got hurt bad enough to give up after the first.

The thing took all day, not even stopping for lunch.

Eventually the final four came down to me, a cubone, a marill, and a geodude. Though this geodude looked different from all the others I’d seen. It had some ‘hair’ coming out of it’s head. I knew it had to be some kind of regional variant, but I could not place it.

The cubone was the only other with no losses, so whichever of us lost would have to face the winner between the marill and geodude to try and get back at the winner between us.

I wasn’t too worried. I’d taken only two hits all day, and that was from speedy moves. All of the others looked to be really tired.

Was I just really overpowered for this area? Yes. Unlike most, I’d kinda been focusing on getting stronger and practicing a lot more.

While I enjoyed being among the pokemon here, I knew I wouldn’t be able to stay here forever. The letter had hinted that one had to leave this valley at some point, and even if it hadn’t I wanted to get out and see the world. To be human again.

Marill and geodude fought before my own match. I thought that marill had the fight in the bag, being a water type against rock, but I couldn’t have been more mistaken. While it did launch a water gun, the geodude was able to avoid it by charging in and rammed it. There was a snap in the air as if someone had just gotten struck by static elec...tricity?

Is that geodude a rock/electric type?

I can’t think of what else would knock out the marill like it had, so it must be. What region was it from? What region am I in? I had no idea.

Shaking my head, I take the field with cubone. When we were ready, the match started. Since I was at full charge and had at most two matches more till the tourney was done, I decided to be flashy.

Cubone charged in, using its bone as a club. I dodged upwards, floating as if I’d jumped as I spun and ‘landed’ on the air behind the guy. Now it was my turn. Choices, choices. How about… metronome!

Spoiler

I think I might use this like I do d20-sama.

https://thousandroads.net/misc/metronome

[collapse]

<Rynn uses Metronome! Rynn used Seismic Toss!>

I hear a voice in my head, though it seems like no one else can hear it. My power reaches out and grabs the cubone, lifting him in the air before smashing him back down to the earth.

No clue if it was super effective or not, since the guy was in poor condition before I used it. But regardless it was a one-hit KO.

The chansey acting as medics looked him over and took him off to the side with the help of some others.

Since the next fight was cubone versus the variant geodude, I had time to kill. Especially since cubone needed a bit of time to recover before his fight.

I reclined in the air on the side of the field, relaxing as I waited for the next match to start… and then I got called to the field.

Huh? Cubone forfeit? I didn’t hit him too hard, did I? No? Phew, that’s a relief. Yeah, I’m good to go. No need for a break.

I squared off against my final opponent. The winner of this match would be the victor. Even though I was undefeated, the finals were the finals. I didn’t have to lose twice for the geodude to win.

Should I use metronome again? (d20-sama says yes)

The match started and I flew up out of reach as I poured energy into my move. I wonder what was going to happen this time?

<Rynn uses Metronome! Rynn used Baddy Bad!>

The heck is that?! I do not remember that move, plus it sounds like really bad!

A wave of dark energy spreads out from my body and strikes the geodude causing a pillar of black light that changes to light as it remains fixed around the dude. I’m not sure how, but I know that light will reduce the physical damage the geodude can deal until it fades.

Not that it can deal any damage as the attack knocked it back and unconscious. I did see a lot of wounds on its body… yeah, not using that attack intentionally unless its a real fight.

With that last attack, I secured my victory in the tournament! Is there a prize?

Pidgeotto and the other guardians came over to me. I swear I saw the bird smirking at me for some reason. I’ve got a bad feeling about this…

“Congratulations on your win. You have proven you have what it takes to join our ranks. I’ll take you under my wings and teach you what you need to know as a guardian before I migrate forever this fall.”

“WHAT!? A guardian? Me? That’s a recipe for disaster!”

“Then you should have thought of that before entering the Guardian’s Spring Selection Tournament.”

“Huh?” Oh muk. I knew I should have asked why it was called what it was. “Ummm, can I pass? I thought it was just for fun.”

“Nope! You chose to enter, and showed us a marvelous display of power. Not to mention, your efforts at assisting others with housing and food during the winter. I’ll teach you what else you need to know.”

That dang bird was enjoying my torment.

But…

“Wait… You’re migrating? Forever? Why?”

The guy could be really annoying, but he’d been my first real contact with this world. My teacher, my friend. And he’d be leaving for good in the fall? I looked up at him, unable to restrain the tears in my eyes.

The others gave quick, quiet words of congratulations and left, leaving us alone. They’d intended to do more, but seeing me cry at hearing about pidgeotto leaving left them uncomfortable and they ran for it.

Pidgeotto on the other hand used his wings to pull me to him, hugging me.

“You know that we can’t stay here forever. At least one of us leaves each year, for various reasons, clearing the way for another to take our place. I’ve been a guardian for five years, but I can not get any stronger by staying here, and that bothers me. I almost left with the migration last fall, but I couldn’t until there was one to take my place.

I am glad it was you. Usually one as young as you would not participate in the selection, but you have the strength, and much more knowledge than most new guardians would have, even if some of it is very strange. I know you’re not used to being around others much, which is something this calling requires, but I think it will let you grow in a new way.

Don’t be afraid of change. Learn, grow, and reach for the skies.

Ah, those skies are part of why I am leaving. Here, I cannot truly spread my wings, not with the threat of those who surround us attacking if we fly too high and enter their territory. Out there, I am sure I can find a place where I can fly freely. Why, when I was younger...”

I continued to cry silent tears as the old bird continued to wax elegant about the wonders of the wide world he’d seen as a youngling before taking up the mantle of guardian prevented him from migrating for the winter.

I vowed to be the best guardian ever, just to live up to his legacy.

Metronome-sama is powerful. Those were strong moves. Seismic Toss was super effective, and Baddy Bad had 80 power. I never got far with Let’s go, Eevee. I didn’t like the play style, so I never came across the moves introduced by that game.

 

Enjoy Metronome-sama?
  • Yes Votes: 136 86.6%
  • No Votes: 21 13.4%
Total voters: 157
87