Chapter 15 Orphanage
2.1k 12 86
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Naomi left, the social worker ushered me off to a waiting vehicle. Since I was young, I was of course stuck in the back seat… in a car seat. It wasn’t a full on one, but just one of those small ones mainly to manage the seat belt, but it still felt embarrassing for me to have to use it. Also that I had to pretend to not understand seat belts.

She barely spoke to me as we drove, instead talking to someone on her phone or listening to music. She liked country… exclusively, as far as I could tell. I don’t mind the occasional good country song, but it was not a genre I was too fond of.

Given that it had taken a week for the woman to get to the town, I’d expected the trip to last at least a few days, but we arrived at our destination that night. It was a bit late, but she seemed really happy to drop me off at a building and get out of there as soon as someone signed for me. Like I was just a package for her to deliver.

Yeah, I had quickly come to a conclusion that I didn’t like her. Hopefully she was only playing chauffeur, and not in charge of me beyond this.

The building I was ‘delivered’ to was where I figured I’d end up at least for a while.

An orphanage.

It was either going to be that or a foster family.

With how late it was, I was brought to the girls side of the living quarters and assigned to a room. It was one I’d be sharing with three other girls, all older than me. One was in her teens, the others were twins around ten. They did not appreciate me being foisted on them, not wanting to have to babysit a retard.

Yep, the witch who’d dropped me off hadn’t given much information about me, so when the caretaker found I had trouble speaking, she thought I had mental issues, and said something to that effect to my new roommates.

I might be powerful, but the glares I got still made me flinch a bit. However, there was nothing they could do but accept it. I’d just try to stay out of their way as much as possible.

That didn’t work out so well though. I stayed quiet when in the room, but it seemed that as a newcomer and being so young, at least one of them were expected to stay with me at all times. They didn’t want a mentally handicapped person causing trouble for the orphanage.

I don’t know if they ever got a report about me, but if they did, they did nothing about it.

This led to what you’d expect. Bullying. I became the target they used to take out their frustrations on… but not for long.

My rescuer? School.

I’d never been fond of it before, though I tended to excel due to not wanting to get in trouble. Now? I welcomed it with open arms. It was a place I could escape to and avoid them, at least for a while.

As I was apparently around five, I was put into kindergarten, so I’d get the full educational experience. Due to my ‘disability’ I was placed in the special needs class.

It was somewhat frustrating, having to learn how to speak, but at least the teachers were kind. You don’t become a teacher of this kind of class unless you have god-like patience.

It took two months before my speech was at least as good as others my age. I stayed silent around my roommates, though. The less attention I drew, the less they’d notice and bully me. Hiding with camouflage also helped. I also occasionally ‘yawned’ as night approached to get them to feel sleepy and go to bed.

Learning to read took longer, since I didn’t have the help I’d gotten from alakazam. At least I was in the right place to learn to read, though I’d learned earlier in my past life. As I knew the spoken part of the language, so once I knew what a word meant I was good to go.

My teachers realized I wasn’t actually special needs like their other charges, but they had to get me actually evaluated by a professional before I could be enrolled in the normal classes. I laughed, internally, when it came to light that I’d never been properly tested before being classified as special needs.

Even better, I was able to get the situation with my roommates out in the open and escape them. I’d had to borrow some recording equipment to do so, but since management didn’t take my complaints seriously, which were also recorded, I did what I had to do.

What I didn’t expect was that the situation would lead to the entire place getting shut down. The place was horrible, dirty (though we were forced to try to keep it clean, without proper supplies), fed us nasty and often expired food, rarely provided clothes unless they’d been donated, and was linked to a criminal organization.

The director and staff were all involved or aware. Not only did they embezzle the funds that were allocated, they’d ‘adopted’ out kids to people who didn’t really exist, so they’d just disappear.

The investigation uncovered so much dirt that the perpetrators were jailed for life, but without staff, there was no way to keep the place open, so all of us were shuffled off to orphanages in different cities.

Me? I got moved to a place called Pallet Town.

Sound familiar? It should, though that name wasn’t quite right anymore. Having been the home of several famous individuals, it had grown immensely and was definitely classed as a major city, but Pallet City just didn’t have the same ring, so they hadn’t changed the name.

I’d always intended to visit the place eventually, but what I found out was different than I expected.

Sorry It’s kinda dark today. And short. Today sucked.

Also…. A mystery has been solved! What was it? Find out next time on… Reborn as a Pokémon!

86